Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    I request the help of anyone who's imported a Windrunner cape or something similar?

I'm looking for the solution to the problem of double-sided faces; I've currently got a Sniper cape and it's only showing me one side :(
  • Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I request the help of anyone who's imported a Windrunner cape or something similar?

I'm looking for the solution to the problem of double-sided faces; I've currently got a Sniper cape and it's only showing me one side :(

Source doesn't let you use double sided faces, I think
  • Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik wrote: »
    Hey guys, quick clarification needed: Has it been confirmed or denied whether or not the poly budgets are total faces, tris or quads yet?

Tri's
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ex4000 wrote: »
    Source doesn't let you use double sided faces, I think

There is a way to do it, though.

The default Sniper and Windrunner capes both have single-sided polygons and import as double-sided - I'm just asking people who have already successfully imported a Windrunner cape.
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    I think Invoker does too. At least his cape was showing up funky in the Maya viewport when I brought it in, as if it had two faces occupying the same space. Checked it though and like BrontoThunder said, only one poly, not double sided...

As you can guess, I'd love an answer to this as well :3
  • Rik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rik

Bronto, I had that same problem

It pissed me off at first, because Valve says that they don't support double sided polygons, yet Windrunner's cape is one sided. Someone else mentioned that while the engine does support it, Valve may want to reduce the number of items utilizing it because of the resource usage. Technically yes, the engine does allow for it, but we're told not to do it.

Because of that limitation, I ended up remaking my Windrunner cape (with polys on both sides) and it came out with a cleaner mesh because I had to get creative with the polygon placement. Frump also made a Crystal Maiden cape with polys on both sides.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1666519&postcount=1539

I haven't found a text schemma for which community items were released with the patch, but CyborMatt's blog has a bunch of screenshots of new items: http://www.cyborgmatt.com/2012/10/dota-2-3rd-october/#more-4421
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    7558C660A0FEF2B7728BE40C5A7A87C03BB55614
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=98095591

Decided to update this and make it blue instead of red
    I also added a bit more bulkiness to the pickaxe head
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    Hey guys, quick clarification needed: Has it been confirmed or denied whether or not the poly budgets are total faces, tris or quads yet?

I don't think there has been any confirmation. What i know is polygon's are always Tri's, they are only quads to enable easier editing and due to this quads can been seen as a tool only. From what i have gathered in this thread it appears one of the export filetypes does not work correctly with the importer tool and allows you to import with quads. Im going to presume this will be fixed at some point.

@Rik - Yeah i think they put in this soft rule to help reduce the amount of work on Vales end, as two sided pretty much just doubles the polycount.
  • Frump
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Maybe I should get back into making items then, and stop playing so much GW2.

I believe it's tris, Source operates in tris, and the "tri" cound is what I kept under the limit and had no problem, and the in-game count mirrored that.
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, in an a proactive display of laziness and not wanting to re-make my cape, I've tested the importer using the original Sniper cape and textures and it's still one-sided despite it being Valve's model and textures.

What I'm thinking is that perhaps if the cape is accepted or compiled into the game some special way, Valve's magic will make it double-sided?

Because the original Sniper and Windrunner capes are straight-up planes.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    So, in an a proactive display of laziness and not wanting to re-make my cape, I've tested the importer using the original Sniper cape and textures and it's still one-sided despite it being Valve's model and textures.

What I'm thinking is that perhaps if the cape is accepted or compiled into the game some special way, Valve's magic will make it double-sided?

Because the original Sniper and Windrunner capes are straight-up planes.

It's just a line in the VMT which makes the things double sided "$nocull 1". It's on for some heroes and off for others. When you submit an item it gets merged into the hero's VMT. If the hero has it off in their VMT, you can't do anything to change it and have to make two sides. If they have it on, then when you import it should work or it will work later when it's official. It's the same with transparency. Some heroes have it on in their VMT, some have it off.

However, I wouldn't even worry about it. In the game, several of the heroes capes are 1 sided and culled, because you don't usually see them from the front much. It's not a big deal.
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump wrote: »
    It's just a line in the VMT which makes the things double sided "$nocull 1". It's on for some heroes and off for others. When you submit an item it gets merged into the hero's VMT. If the hero has it off in their VMT, you can't do anything to change it and have to make two sides. If they have it on, then when you import it should work or it will work later when it's official. It's the same with transparency. Some heroes have it on in their VMT, some have it off.

However, I wouldn't even worry about it. In the game, several of the heroes capes are 1 sided and culled, because you don't usually see them from the front much. It's not a big deal.

Thank you, very informative post!

Now all I have to concern myself with are these fucking paint-weights for the cape -_-
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Nocull doesn't work in dota 2, and it's a bad idea anyway. That's why they recommend making 2 sides. Frankly, it's probably not much of an issue being one-sided.
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Check your bones!

From the devs.

"We have gone through the hero Tech Req pages (http://www.dota2.com/workshop/requirements) and labeled every weapon slot with which bone a weapon model should primarily be bound to. This is important because nearly every weapon is NOT bound to the wrist which is how many of the submitted weapon items are. This has repercussions on animation as well as our ability to support a weapon with particle effects. Starting today we will be bouncing content back to you if the wrong bone is used.

By "primarily", we mean to say that that is the root bone of the weapon. If part of your weapon design wants to be skinned to the wrist or arm or head that is fine, but the root and main part of the actual weapon should be bound to the specified bone.

Thanks and GLHF"
  • ike_ike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12
    venowards-1.jpgsome venomancer flower-based wards

are there any super bored modellers lurking out there who wanna collaborate on stuff?
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished my Sniper set!
    34iqh.jpg

And I also added my Necro weapon I made ages ago but have since been waiting for Necrolyte to be added to the compiler;
    kgdO9.jpg
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    @Bronto, Necro was at least broken down a few weeks ago so I would think he's on the compiler.
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, that's what I meant. He just got added in the latest patch so I just put it on the Workshop :)
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    hey guys congrats!

a lot of itens from here entered the game

about the questions from the last two pages

its TRIANGLES, not quads.
    every engine works with triangles, everytime you see a polygon bugdets is triangles count, not quads..
    the engine WILL triagulate you mesh and calculate every vertex no matter the number os quads, 5 sided polygons or 20 sided polygons, and it need to triangulate to calculate the vertex normals that comes from each sharing face.
    if someone got an iten over the budged in game it was an EXCEPTION, not a rule

and the game SUPPORTS two sided material, the visage is two sided, it has the $NOCULL on the vmt, but on their rules on the workshop they say to NOT use because is a waste of processing, its better to pass the budged limit with some extra poligons then using the nocull on the material

hope a helped =]

btw, here is the new texture
    1boxi
    now im liking it =]
    its based on tide´s stripes
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronto, you are doing great man!

just explain me one thing, the "K S" on the sniper mean what i think it means? hahaha
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    His name is Kardel Sharpeye :D

It's just a coincidence that his initials are the same as Kill Steal haha.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i preffer to think that is ks =]

and frump, shit got serious now!

thanks for the post, i love contests =]
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5i5xN.png
    Oh yeah! I noticed this while making my collection, the contest should be reeeal soon! Can't wait!
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    where is that screen? i tried to change my last courier, its set as an weapon to Axe =]
  • zicoV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished my Sniper set!
    34iqh.jpg

Looks amazing. Really like the gun. Thumbs up :)
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    where is that screen? i tried to change my last courier, its set as an weapon to Axe =]
    It's the collection creation screen.
  • Ahoburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turned out, i can't retopologize my new model to make it looks good, gonna make new one i suppose.
  • Ahoburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    hey guys congrats!

a lot of itens from here entered the game

about the questions from the last two pages

its TRIANGLES, not quads.
    every engine works with triangles, everytime you see a polygon bugdets is triangles count, not quads..
    the engine WILL triagulate you mesh and calculate every vertex no matter the number os quads, 5 sided polygons or 20 sided polygons, and it need to triangulate to calculate the vertex normals that comes from each sharing face.
    if someone got an iten over the budged in game it was an EXCEPTION, not a rule
    Triangulating it or not, game stil accept items in 400 quads instead of 400 tris, but if you triangulate your 400 quads, it will no longer accept it. Importer doesn't triangulate anything, from the looks of it. Anyway, even this limit is pretty silly. What is this game, from 97?
  • HntrLuc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HntrLuc polycounter lvl 18
    Always cool to see whats going on in here.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the contest will be :)

Here's an update on the llama courier ive been working on. Finally got some worthwhile progress done, got the lowpoly and my first test bake done.

It's a bit over poly budget right now around 3800 tris, but as I texture i should be able to optimize some more.
    Shown here with 512x512 textures.
    dota2_llama3.jpg
  • kageko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahoburg wrote: »
    Turned out, i can't retopologize my new model to make it looks good, gonna make new one i suppose.

I think you could get away with making one of the rings into a plane with just a normal map on it, if you do that you're probably gonna get away with under 350 tris :)
  • kageko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    also, does anyone know anything about this contest, i saw it this morning and got REALLY excited
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good tvidotto!

So it was a contest then, i was wondering about that box in the workshop :)
    Really need to step up my game, all the items coming in to workshop is looking awesome.
  • crazyone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyone polycounter lvl 5
    @HntrLuc - Lama looks amazing )
    wjFcZ.jpg
    finished the back for Pudge Tomb hunter set
  • Ahoburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Workshop's character page is lying sometimes. I made 128x256 textures for nature's prophet, like it was saying. But turns out it's 256x256...i hate when they do this.

@crazyone looks cool, but slightly off the style of hero

@kageko i tried, it looks awful after baking. Anyway, i made new one, will be up soon
  • Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HntrLuc wrote: »
    Always cool to see whats going on in here.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the contest will be :)

Here's an update on the llama courier ive been working on. Finally got some worthwhile progress done, got the lowpoly and my first test bake done.

It's a bit over poly budget right now around 3800 tris, but as I texture i should be able to optimize some more.
    Shown here with 512x512 textures.
    dota2_llama3.jpg

I love it!
  • RossC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    Love the Llama Courier HntrLuc!

It seems though even though that Enchantress was finally added to the compiler, that Valve may have made a mistake in that you can't select a slot to replace. (Pulling down the "select slot" scroll menu has no other options but "select slot").

97407.jpg

Oh well, that gives me some time to polish/clean the old texture. I had to work with it already since Enchantress head slot actually replaces her hair. So I had to merge what was visible of hair and my helmet model into one texture space. The 256x256 texture suffers a bit (left), but the 512x512 (right) looks alright. I wish Valve would use 512x512 textures for items that are focused in the portrait.
  • kageko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ex4000 Llama is looking awesome btw, cant wait to see it textured!

@crazyone looks good, maybe you can adjust the colorpalette to fit in more with pudges colors? might help you get away with such a different theme, otherwise its looking good!

Also, i got done with my steampunkbow for drow, i gathered people thought it didnt fit her theme, so basically, i just took the model and adjusted the colors to be more "drow"ish. Still not sure if making the cogs not-brass lost the point of them or not. Anyways, i finally got it through the importer, which was a real pain... And its uploaded now.

Final-ish images:

B4C510C0A27CA177DDA1C9D14CDB827B7B539EE6

F854C60DE4DAFC19BFB14B492A7013D01D352FCE

Also, does anyone know how to change the main image for the model in the workshop? I cant get it to stop showing an earlier image in the mainpage...

EDIT: forgot to link to the actual workshop page as well :)
  • mrpresident
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrpresident polycounter lvl 10
    kageko wrote: »
    Also, does anyone know how to change the main image for the model in the workshop? I cant get it to stop showing an earlier image in the mainpage...

You have to go to your workshop items in-game, click edit, and re-upload the entire item. It's a pain yeah but the only way to change it at the moment.
  • Ahoburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Submitted my first Nature's Prophet weapon. Was a little pain in the arse. Thanks a lot Lennyagony for your 3dsmax tut, very helped.
    Click to view etc
    Kllnm.jpg
  • kageko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @mrpresident yeah, i tried that, turns out theres a few minutes of delay before it actually changes no matter how many times you refresh
  • lancemaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hello guyse, seems like my weapon is inside the store. Now i wonder what happens next? do they send me an e-mail? cause i didnt recive anything yet,neither inside steam nor on my normal e-mail. I need some help, im lost in this thing.
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lancemaker wrote: »
    hello guyse, seems like my weapon is inside the store. Now i wonder what happens next? do they send me an e-mail? cause i didnt recive anything yet,neither inside steam nor on my normal e-mail. I need some help, im lost in this thing.
    You should have received an email like 20 minutes ago or will at some point today asking you to verify your payment information.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahoburg wrote: »
    Triangulating it or not, game stil accept items in 400 quads instead of 400 tris, but if you triangulate your 400 quads, it will no longer accept it. Importer doesn't triangulate anything, from the looks of it. Anyway, even this limit is pretty silly. What is this game, from 97?

so the importer has a bug on calculation =]

the importer triangulating or not doent matter, the engine will calculate as triangles always
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    A big congratulations to everyone who had their items accepted today, has been great checking them all out in game and in motion.
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fun fact; if you're like me and don't live in the US you're going to have a reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal fun time filling out all this payment info.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fun fact; if you're like me and don't live in the US you're going to have a reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal fun time filling out all this payment info.

bronto, maybe is a little offtopic, but what are the main things you need to be paid? the sent you the money to the bank account?
    thanks
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Yeah, the W-8BEN form is an absolute pain.

Tvidotto: It's just your bank info, it's a direct deposit into your bank account. If you don't live in the US you need to fill out a form that's a pain to do that takes a long time to get there and back.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eleryn wrote: »
    Yeah, the W-8BEN form is an absolute pain.

Tvidotto: It's just your bank info, it's a direct deposit into your bank account. If you don't live in the US you need to fill out a form that's a pain to do that takes a long time to get there and back.

but i dont need some kind of document or specific bank account, its "just" follow just painfull form?
  • lancemaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cant i just use my paypall information ?