Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck wrote: »
    I have a general question for you folks.
    I've created a weapon for Slardar. He has not yet been officially released to the workshop by valve.
    I was wondering if I should hold off on submitting my item until they release him, or just submit now?
    My logic so far was that I will just wait until they release him to the workshop and I can drop my weapon day one. I fear that if I submit now, it may just get buried and forgotten about.
    So I guess I've pretty much convinced myself to hold off until they release him, but I'm still curious about others thoughts on submitting items for characters not yet officially on the workshop.

and here is a wip shot, the texture resolution is currently one step larger(512x256) than it will be ingame:
    pa_trolling_wip_04.jpg

Slar is there isn't he? Awesome work by the way
    Ahoburg wrote: »
    Thanks for answers. Couple of noobie ones:
    I don't understand what exactly do i need and how in mask1 and mask2. I understand that i need to use channels in photoshop, instead of just painting layers. But do i need to pain all these metalness, freshnel, specularity channels for one item? I'm kinda confused.

Any step-by-step advices? I'm looking at creating weapon now, so i will need spec, self-ilum etc. Do i paint them only on specific uv islands, or i must fill all of them with greyscale or something? Thanks.

This video briefly goes through them @2:40

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_pTAxfvKwc&t=2m40s"]From Maya to Dota 2 - YouTube[/ame]

Working on a shield for the Silencer.

GoRFH.jpg
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    Slardar is totally there in my in-game compiler, check again?

Also, fuck these comment spammers that have popped up on the Workshop - I'm deleting comments like every 20 minutes.

Yeah the're quite annoying, i agree. :\
  • crazyone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyone polycounter lvl 5
    K6672.jpg
    Finished the head for jugg )
  • acarr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acarr polycounter lvl 6
    I've been seeing some models recently such as this one that have particle effects. And also ones like this one which remove the particle effects from the model. So it seems like some people are able to manipulate the particles on items.

I'm trying to submit an item for Pugna, but I don't know how to get rid of the particles that are on the default item. Pugna's weapon particles are so big, they ruin any screenshots I could take of the item. Does anybody know how I can get rid of them? Thanks!
  • Hideouscreation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hideouscreation polycounter lvl 5
    jf1JK.jpg

Created this Cleaver for pudge yesterday, gunna start adding Detail.
  • dfanton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a quick question. Is there any chance in hell I'm dropping this below 200 tris without completely deforming it?

mnPDS.png
  • Ahoburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ex4000 wrote: »
    This video briefly goes through them @2:40
    From Maya to Dota 2 - YouTube
    yeah, i've seen it, i'm starting to get a grasp of it, but these channels are hard to edit without using layers. Any way around it? What workflow is with editing these masks? Thanks

One more question, can i use my own imported items without buying them?
  • crazyone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, i've seen it, i'm starting to get a grasp of it, but these channels are hard to edit without using layers. Any way around it? What workflow is with editing these masks? Thanks

If they got accepted into the game - yes , you will find them in your inventory
  • Futashia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey do you guys know which bone(s) morphling's shoulder slot is skinned to?
  • bn20
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfanton wrote: »
    Just a quick question. Is there any chance in hell I'm dropping this below 200 tris without completely deforming it?

mnPDS.png

The blade is a ridiculous Ngon right now, try removing some of those bumps near the spike
  • dfanton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bn20 wrote: »
    The blade is a ridiculous Ngon right now, try removing some of those bumps near the spike

If you're referring to the trapezoids, those are all individual blades, and part of the design. But yeah, I removed them all and it only dropped by 40 tries. When I removed all of the small spikes (but kept the trapezoids), it dropped to 208 tris. If I remove the spikes and then fuse the trapezoids together, I get 184 polys. Shame it loses all of its style. :I
  • acarr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acarr polycounter lvl 6
    If you're referring to the trapezoids, those are all individual blades, and part of the design. But yeah, I removed them all and it only dropped by 40 tries. When I removed all of the small spikes, it dropped to 208 tris. If I remove the spikes and then fuse the trapezoids together, I get 184 polys. Shame it loses all of its style. :I

No, I think he's saying the main blade part has like 17 sides.
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    Oh snap, Slar is out! guess I should look before I open my big ol fat mouth :P
  • Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

mnPDS.png

Take out the loops near the end of the little spikes, and all the parts inbetween the spikes. you won't see them in game

I tend just to work on the mask in another file then copy paste them into the correct colour when im done
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9

mnPDS.png

poorly triangulated your blade to get rid of the ngon and suggested a spike with less triangles
    1af16

knowing where the vertices on your blade are is easiers for us to help you, with the image you sent we cant do much..

hope that help
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys, i need some help

im not liking the model and i need some feedback

Run Cycle
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIVr2J2xxuQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIVr2J2xxuQ[/ame]

1abUB
    1afh3

the chain o the leg i was planning to "animate" with cloth like the life stealer´s chain

my girl friend suggestion is to get rid of the chain and add more piercings to the body, add more gore

im little out of polys to spare so that is not a good option by now, i have some on the ground version but not on the winged...

any suggestion will be a lot apreciated =]
  • Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe put the chain around its neck? so its looks like a guard dog or something which got loose, im not sure if you have the bones and polys for it though
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    Tvidotto: Looks like you've modelled every tooth; you should do what Valve did with the Spirit Bear and just model the two big teeth and make the others a plan with an alpha or one mesh with little details. You can save a whole lot of polygons there.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto: Looks like you've modelled every tooth; you should do what Valve did with the Spirit Bear and just model the two big teeth and make the others a plan with an alpha or one mesh with little details. You can save a whole lot of polygons there.

oh my god, its a plan?? are you kidding me?

i was sure that was all the teeth modeled, need to check that again...
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Ex4000 wrote: »
    Maybe put the chain around its neck? so its looks like a guard dog or something which got loose, im not sure if you have the bones and polys for it though

^This, right now It looks like It was a prisoner that escaped.
    If you do it and need polycount, even after you check the teeth, maybe just making the choker and no links? But I think you'll have enough left over to add links.

I like him!
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *plane, haha.

I don't know if any heroes use a plane (maybe Bounty Hunter but his teeth are usually always covered, probably wouldn't be a solution for your courier); but certainly a few big meshes would be more efficient than lots of little ones.
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I'm re-working my sniper set that I had planned.
    My current head item will be broken up into hood and moustache respectively and the hood will be paired with a cape and the moustache will be paired with some goggles.

Let me know what you think!
    pahJ0.png
    5YmCi.png
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have not checked this for a while now, lots of good stuff! Will be posting some pics later on.
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lovely Bronto, i like it a lot...and i already voted the rifle you did for him ;)
  • iEvEtS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a work in progress of Leonardo. The texture are just base colors and I'm still learning how to render in Zbrush. In the meantime..i'm going to start to retopo this guy and work on his sword.

LeonardoNinjaTurtleWIP.jpg
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wrong thread? Haha
  • iEvEtS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol oh crap..didn't notice..i'll have to repost in the right one..thx.
  • mrpresident
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrpresident polycounter lvl 10
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    hey guys, i need some help

im not liking the model and i need some feedback

the chain o the leg i was planning to "animate" with cloth like the life stealer´s chain

my girl friend suggestion is to get rid of the chain and add more piercings to the body, add more gore

im little out of polys to spare so that is not a good option by now, i have some on the ground version but not on the winged...

any suggestion will be a lot apreciated =]

Is it the model or the animation you're not satisfied with?

I feel like his head is bouncing up and down a little too much, especially since it makes him open his mouth with every step. If you're going for a more serious look watch some videos of real life predators chasing prey... their heads barely move.
  • zicoV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Found some time to work on this over the weekend.

Still not sure if it fits doombringer or skeleton king better but maybe it will become cleat when i start to texture this :)

What do you think ?
    wip01.png
  • MrTwoVideoCards
    Tried my hand at making a Skeleton King sword, what do you guys think?

55BC4399FADC768889E5AD88B00CAC0979DAA98F

Blade of the Demon Lord
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zicoV - Personally I like 2A, you did a good job :). I think if you want to make it a skeleton king item you should work on the blade's shape some more and add some details to that but if you want to make it a Doombringer item that won't matter so much since it will be covered in fire.

I think you could go a number of ways with it though; curve the blade a bit and make it a Bounty Hunter item; make the skull into a dragon skull and give it to Dragon Knight.

You've got a solid base there, it would make a cool item as is but you should pick a hero sooner rather than later because once a hero's style is added to that weapon it could be a really cool item.

MrTwoVideoCards - It's not bad but it reminds me a lot of this item . Even the presentation.
  • Rik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rik
    zicoV wrote: »

Still not sure if it fits doombringer or skeleton king better but maybe it will become cleat when i start to texture this :)

What do you think ?

I'm voting 1B too. I like how the horns come down and shield the hand. The bone for a handle doesn't make much sense, when you have this finely crafted, highly detailed sword blade. Surely if a blacksmith could craft such a blade, a decent handle would come with it ;) Unless of course the handle broke off and the bone was used to replace it, which would require some makeshift wraps/fasteners to secure it in place.

Looking excellent so far, and I'm digging the size and spread of scratches on the blade.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I'm re-working my sniper set that I had planned.
    My current head item will be broken up into hood and moustache respectively and the hood will be paired with a cape and the moustache will be paired with some goggles.

Let me know what you think!
    pahJ0.png
    5YmCi.png

great man =]
    Is it the model or the animation you're not satisfied with?

I feel like his head is bouncing up and down a little too much, especially since it makes him open his mouth with every step. If you're going for a more serious look watch some videos of real life predators chasing prey... their heads barely move.

was with the model but i think that could be a good option, my idea with the run cycle is doing a long one as i cant use rare animation to make the cycle less even, so im planning to do a normal run cycling two times and one biting the air like is this video

thanks for the suggestion, i will work on that
    zicoV wrote: »

What do you think ?
    wip01.png

1a or 1b, 1b the grip seams not strong as the first one, maybe is the shape that asks it to be a little more tick =]
  • crazyone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4NeuP.jpg
    sword for jugg
  • Rik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rik
    crazyone wrote: »

sword for jugg

I like the design. May want to change that sharp part that faces the handle; I wouldn't want to use a weapon that has a sharp blade angled towards my hand like that. One wrong move and you've impaled yourself on your own weapon.
  • Ahoburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Done highres of my Naga Siren sword. Now onto retopology/texturing.
    wxrVZ.jpg
    Polypainted
    0zdcf.jpg
  • Josh21
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ztogk.jpg

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=100288441

If you guys could provide me feedback on my presentation image and any tips I would greatly appreciate it.
  • Ahoburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh21 wrote: »

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=100288441

If you guys could provide me feedback on my presentation image and any tips I would greatly appreciate it.
    looks blurry, and you should create several separate images for presentation, instead of one. Like the guy did here http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=95977386&searchtext=
    You can also use any external renderer for presentation pic, like marmoset or from alien swarm viewer for example, and then do magics in photoshop
  • Josh21
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks blurry, and you should create several separate images for presentation, instead of one. Like the guy did here http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=95977386&searchtext=
    You can also use any external renderer for presentation pic, like marmoset or from alien swarm viewer for example, and then do magics in photoshop

Okay thanks, did not know! * Updated it with 2 screenies. I really suck at this whole rendering thing :(
  • Rik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rik
    So I'm making two items for Warlock, possibly a set later on.

Here's my first shot at The Black Grimoir lantern replacement, and I might do it over again from scratch. I may need to make the fleshy parts sticking up around the eye look more like ruptured paper and less like flesh. Thoughts on the sculpt?

TomeSculpt1.jpg
  • Ahoburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rik wrote: »
    So I'm making two items for Warlock, possibly a set later on.

Here's my first shot at The Black Grimoir lantern replacement, and I might do it over again from scratch. I may need to make the fleshy parts sticking up around the eye look more like ruptured paper and less like flesh. Thoughts on the sculpt?

That's how damaged paper looks like 800x600-15_15_18_IMG_0767%20copy.jpg
    use it as reference

i've got a question about lowpoly. If i intend to use smoothing on whole surfers, does this mean that i need as twice lower vertice count?
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyone wrote: »
    4NeuP.jpg
    sword for jugg

Crazyone, that looks very cool. By the way i have a question for you. I've seen that in the screenshots of your Jug mask, you have a glow around Jug's Sword, could you tell me how you did that?
  • Josh21
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Done highres of my Naga Siren sword. Now onto retopology/texturing.
    wxrVZ.jpg
    Polypainted
    0zdcf.jpg

Did you do all of the high detail in zBrush? As of now I am only using maya, but it seems like everyone is using zbrush or mudbox to do their details.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's how damaged paper looks like 800x600-15_15_18_IMG_0767%20copy.jpg
    use it as reference

i've got a question about lowpoly. If i intend to use smoothing on whole surfers, does this mean that i need as twice lower vertice count?

there is two different smooth in 3d
    the mesh smooth and the normal smooth

mesh smooth is hw you divide you poligon in smaller poligons, so a quad becomes 4 quads, then 16, then...

when you smooth the normals you mantain the number of polygons and reduce the number of vertex normals

each vertex has at least one normal, if its shared by 4 faces i get 4 normals, unless you smooth it and create just one
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think "soften normals" is a better term to use to avoid confusion, that's how Maya labels it.
  • Rik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rik
    Beautiful siren sword, Josh! The dark discoloration on the handle looks wonky. I know that's a polypaint shot, and that part looks a bit muddy.

Here's the resculpt of my Black Grimoir. The tattered paper around they eye was too fleshy so I made more planar surfaces with sharper edges. I'm not sure that any finer details will show up in the normal map and still be readable in game, so I'm content with this level of detail.

TomeSculpt2b.jpg

I'm not sure how I'm going to do the tattered paper on the LOD1. Might end up doing planes with an opacity map.

Thanks for the pic, Ahoburg.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rik wrote: »
    Beautiful siren sword, Josh! The dark discoloration on the handle looks wonky. I know that's a polypaint shot, and that part looks a bit muddy.

Here's the resculpt of my Black Grimoir. The tattered paper around they eye was too fleshy so I made more planar surfaces with sharper edges. I'm not sure that any finer details will show up in the normal map and still be readable in game, so I'm content with this level of detail.

TomeSculpt2b.jpg

I'm not sure how I'm going to do the tattered paper on the LOD1. Might end up doing planes with an opacity map.

Thanks for the pic, Ahoburg.

looking good, i dont havbe any idea how you did the internal pages on zbrush =]

---
    guys, i need some suggestions

im planning on starting all the texture from zero, um not happy with that

made some quick tests, any suggestion?

1aCXX

thanks =]
  • Starcofski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok guys, quick update: This is the near-final version of my third submission, however I don't feel like I'm able to replicate the rocky shine effect without losing the color. Any thoughts for how to approach this? I previously tried using the blue layer in mask1, but that ended up amplifying the difference.
    lFAS2.pngWw887.png

@Tvidotto : Depending on which color you want to be the dominant one, I'd say #2 (for mostly gold), or an inverted #3 (for mostly purple).
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    looking good, i dont havbe any idea how you did the internal pages on zbrush =]

---
    guys, i need some suggestions

im planning on starting all the texture from zero, um not happy with that

made some quick tests, any suggestion?

1aCXX

thanks =]

2 and 4 are the best! and maybe i'd say 2 over 4, but i would put some more purple areas, yellow is too dominant
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto! Nr 2 is the winner! Reminds me of Tidehunter :) Tidehunters pet???!