Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Rik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rik

°rik
    cool idea but try to me more creative with the order of the books. He is a mage - The books order can be more messy.
    I paint something for you:

Thanks a ton for the paint-over. I was trying to keep the staff top-heavy like the original, but that is a great idea and the books are much more interesting in that spiral pattern. I'll make a proxy and see how it looks.

Combined the spiral books with a mounted golem head idea I was mulling over. Probably won't be stars up at the top, but various trinkets.

warlock_books_staff.jpg
  • zicoV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A quick skecth for a possible doombringer weapon. Or maybe I will make the blade metal and turn it into a skeleton king weapon. What do you think ?

doombringerweaponsketch.png
  • SinAmos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LiselottePulva

Love the axe set and style.
  • jmt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmt
    zicoV wrote: »
    A quick skecth for a possible doombringer weapon. Or maybe I will make the blade metal and turn it into a skeleton king weapon. What do you think ?

Here are some ideas for the direction you could take this.

PmxSa.jpg
    5gkVt.jpg
  • Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nearly done, I want to make it look better but I have no idea how to!

xLJrH.jpg
    HzQa9.jpg
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome work all around in this thread, I'd say alternate horns away from the bearer works best, imho.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Looks like they've ninja added a few more heroes to the requirements page. The only new one I can pick out is Lina, there's too many now to keep track of each time it updates. The link to her zip is currently 404 though.
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    Hi everyone, so i'm at my first object for Dota2.
    I still didn't publish cause i still have to figure out the mask textures. Anyway here it's the diffuse + normal.
    It's a shuriken for Bounty Hunter, the idea was to put together 3 desolators and tie them to a ring. Let me know that you think please ;)

shuri_deso.jpg
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    I freaking love the colors motenai! I think It's an awesome idea, wonder what It looks like in game.
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    Oh, damn that is fucking sick motenai

What's the issue you're having with the masks?
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh sorry maybe i expressed myself in the wrong way...i just have to make them still :)

P.S. if you come up with some cool name for it, i will appreciate it a lot. The best i could come up with was "Shuriken of Desolation"...sooooooo original -_-

P.P.S How do you test the 2 masks in realtime to adjust them?
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah okay, cool - looking forward to seeing this in-game!

You don't have to worry too much about names; a lot of items get their names changed once Valve accepts them into the game.
  • BC_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BC_
    I put this together today.
    Presenting...
    The Combat Log!
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=99274926
    cover%20thumbnail2.jpg

I know Tiny isn't one of the supported heroes for items, but I just had to do this.
  • zicoV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmt wrote: »
    Here are some ideas for the direction you could take this.

Thanks for the paintover :) The last one you did is kinda what I had in mind but i like the idea of the horns curving the other way. Guess I will make both and see what fits the high poly best.
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy shit @ motenais shuriken! Awesome!
  • crazyone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyone polycounter lvl 5
    nice shuriken
    something unusual for jugg
    dOS89.png
  • Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyone wrote: »
    nice shuriken
    something unusual for jugg
    dOS89.png

Awesome its nice to see some good masks for jugg, I think there's only 1 on the workshop all the others look really odd
  • bn20
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai wrote: »
    I still didn't publish cause i still have to figure out the mask textures. Anyway here it's the diffuse + normal.
    It's a shuriken for Bounty Hunter, the idea was to put together 3 desolators and tie them to a ring. Let me know that you think please ;)

shuri_deso.jpg

Awesome texture man!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=99372992

Third times a charm they say.
  • Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know that feeling
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9

shuri_deso.jpg

awesome paint work man, really liked it

my way os testing in game is reaplacing any in game item, but probably the in game compiler will be a quicker way for your weapon
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Has anyone else lost the ability to see the percentage of positive and negative votes on the Workshop?
  • Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Has anyone else lost the ability to see the percentage of positive and negative votes on the Workshop?

Didn't know you even could.
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ex4000 wrote: »
    Didn't know you even could.
    Yeah, only for your own items though.

It seems to have disappeared, odd.
  • Rik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rik
    Yeah, only for your own items though.

It seems to have disappeared, odd.

Ya, its missing for me as well. Earlier today, the workshop site was glitching out and showing everything in French for me. They must have been working on an update and it went funky for a bit. I don't know why they'd get rid of the percentage though.
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone for your comments, very appreciated :)

The Flying Desolation (yeah, new name!) is completed at last!
    Workshop Link

And here 2 screenshots.
    desolation_1.jpg
    desolation_2.jpg
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made som adjustments to the the shield for CK. Only done a rough colorize on it trying out some colors. What do you think of the basedesign?

GxCG1.png
  • ArchoX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I lost the like/dislike rating too. Thats a shame, it was pretty useful.
  • Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paskie wrote: »
    Made som adjustments to the the shield for CK. Only done a rough colorize on it trying out some colors. What do you think of the basedesign?

GxCG1.png

Looks pretty good, maybe a tad squashed though imo.
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does anyone know how to add Glow and Particle effects to an ingame object?
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does anyone know how to add Glow and Particle effects to an ingame object?

great item! voted up!

glow you can add by the self illumination texture, i think is the alpha on mask1

if you want to make a courier and need an animator just ask =]
    here are mines
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/tvidotto/myworkshopfiles?appid=570
  • Hideouscreation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hideouscreation polycounter lvl 5
    d2gWf.jpg

Ok so I'm making an Axe..for Axe, but I want to take it into Z-brush to add extra detail for the normal map. But when I do it rounds it off completely. The only way i know how is to make a high poly in 3DSmax and export it to Zbrush, but can i get a normal map from the high poly that i send to Zbrush?

I'm still sorta new with this whole thing but i'd like to give it a go, what's the best way to go about it?
  • Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    great item! voted up!

glow you can add by the self illumination texture, i think is the alpha on mask1

here are mines

How come they aren't in the game yet?
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How come they aren't in the game yet?

i dont know =[

but i have some thoughts about it

noone of the couriers on the workshop are in game, the couriers made by the community that are in game were made by guys that were asked by valve to do

like the tegu and i think the mec

the couriers are a lot more complex than itens to match the artstile and be well compiled

they are updating a lot of things every week, adding a custom courier on the game is something not important compared to a new hero
  • Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i dont know =[

but i have some thoughts about it

noone of the couriers on the workshop are in game, the couriers made by the community that are in game were made by guys that were asked by valve to do

like the tegu and i think the mec

the couriers are a lot more complex than itens to match the artstile and be well compiled

they are updating a lot of things every week, adding a custom courier on the game is something not important compared to a new hero

Fair enough, Your couriers look better than the official ones, like that weird chest thing with an eye.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fair enough Your couriers look better than the official ones, like that weird chest thing with an eye.

many thanks! that made my day better =]!

some of them i really dont like like the treasure chest and the zombie tree with the treasure chest on the head, but the drodo and the juggernaut dog are awesome =]

this is the one im working now
    18EOg
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great item! voted up!

here are mines

Thanks man, and yes i know you are the king of courriers :)
    After seeing your Gatuja and the Silly Dragon i really though about doing one. Btw i think i added you on Steam if i'm not wrong...:)

About the glow, i used the self illumination already, what i was talking about is a glow effect around the weapon in certain areas, like the one i've seen in all the Doom sword entries...
  • Hideouscreation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hideouscreation polycounter lvl 5
    I want to take my low poly axe into Z-brush to get extra detail for a normal map, but when I do, it smooths it off waaay to much. What's the best way to get around this? the only way I can think of is making a high poly in Max and exporting it over to zbrush, but even then, can I get a normal map from that to put onto my low poly?

Help is appreciated.
  • Starcofski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, been a while (and Uni's starting up so running short on time these days.)
    Wings don't seem to be doing well, probably going to redo the colors after I can get the right ideas. In other news, my Armor for OD loads properly, so while I make the materials I wanted to pause and ask a question. Most of the biggest complaints were that the wings "didn't match" or were the wrong color. Below I have 2 shots of the armor, front features pure black (mostly), with the shoulders being a gradient from black to the native light color. In the second picture, there's two arrows pointing out different gradients. I'd appreciate if someone could tell me if the lower one on the leg in any way matches the wings.
    MGTNN.png?1dzwB7.png
  • Mark.N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, back to working on art and getting comfortable in zBrush again.

Got a new club for Ogre coming up.

0Hyh9.jpg

@Starcofski - Never use pure black, or white for that matter.

@Hideous - There are tons of zBrush tutorials out there. Check our wiki, google, youtube, Pixologic's main site, or even zBrushCentral for beginner material.

@Paskie - It seems to look good. Post some more angles, and maybe a zoomed out shot, to make sure you don't lose some of those small details too easily in-game.
  • LiselottePulva
    °Rik:
    Cool that you can used the paintover !
  • Soldeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soldeus polycounter lvl 10
    @Hideous : What I usually do(this may not be the best workflow for sure, its just the one I use) is :

1º : Highpoly in 3dsmax, basically making the general shape and putting support loops so the subdivision in Zbrush doesn't destroys it.

2º : Export it to Zbrush, add all the detail I want.

3º : Export the Highpoly from Zbrush and also the Lower subdivision too.

4º : Remove all the supports loops from that lower subdivision from Zbrush and optimice it, make LoD0 out of it. Then Unwrap it.

5º : Make loD1 out of the unwrapped LoD0.

6º : Bake Highpoly normals into LoD0.

PD: The reason to export the lower subdivision from Zbrush is that the item will have some minor adjustments that come from the sculpting, so it will fit better when baking than the highpoly from Step 1.

Hope this helped :P
  • Ahoburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, i'm interested in creating an item for dota 2. And i've got a question. When i'm creating a weapon, for example, do i need to tailor it for a hand (create mesh, then pimp it to right size/etc?) or do i need the mesh and game will take care of everything itself? And is there any limits on dimensions and proportions. Thanks a lot.

And i don't understand all these Lod1 and Lod0. Do i need two separate meshes (If i do highpoly in zbrush first, then retopologize)?

Also, how long does it take for item to be approved in workshop?
  • DigitalCrest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The mesh must be the right size, but there aren't any other restrictions other than the polygon counts. And the higher poly version (lod0) is the version used in other places than the in-game version (lod1). It isn't a must to use, but then the game will use the low-poly version, which may or may not look worse on close up.

Also I don't know how long it will take to get the item approved, if it gets approved. I have had some troubles getting my models to compile.
  • Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahoburg wrote: »
    Hey guys, i'm interested in creating an item for dota 2. And i've got a question. When i'm creating a weapon, for example, do i need to tailor it for a hand (create mesh, then pimp it to right size/etc?) or do i need the mesh and game will take care of everything itself? And is there any limits on dimensions and proportions. Thanks a lot.

And i don't understand all these Lod1 and Lod0. Do i need two separate meshes (If i do highpoly in zbrush first, then retopologize)?

Also, how long does it take for item to be approved in workshop?

The size limit is really what you can get away with with out it clipping, Lod 0 is used in the portrait window, Personally I don't see the point of using lod 0 unless the item is viewable in the portrait. The only thing you have to do is make sure its skinned to the right bone and its placed on top of whatever your replacing.
  • Jalcober
  • Josh21
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated my weapon for BH. Let me know what you all think. I am completelu new to all this, so any help is appreciated.

29yr236.jpg
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    I have a general question for you folks.
    I've created a weapon for Slardar. He has not yet been officially released to the workshop by valve.
    I was wondering if I should hold off on submitting my item until they release him, or just submit now?
    My logic so far was that I will just wait until they release him to the workshop and I can drop my weapon day one. I fear that if I submit now, it may just get buried and forgotten about.
    So I guess I've pretty much convinced myself to hold off until they release him, but I'm still curious about others thoughts on submitting items for characters not yet officially on the workshop.

and here is a wip shot, the texture resolution is currently one step larger(512x256) than it will be ingame:
    pa_trolling_wip_04.jpg
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slardar is totally there in my in-game compiler, check again?

Also, fuck these comment spammers that have popped up on the Workshop - I'm deleting comments like every 20 minutes.
  • ArchoX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How you making this nice screenshots? Is it from 3dsmax?
  • Ahoburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for answers. Couple of noobie ones:
    I don't understand what exactly do i need and how in mask1 and mask2. I understand that i need to use channels in photoshop, instead of just painting layers. But do i need to pain all these metalness, freshnel, specularity channels for one item? I'm kinda confused.

Any step-by-step advices? I'm looking at creating weapon now, so i will need spec, self-ilum etc. Do i paint them only on specific uv islands, or i must fill all of them with greyscale or something? Thanks.