Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• KingUNREAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theseparatorbeauty.jpg

thehangmanbeauty.jpg

Some new Pudge weapons, rates and opinions appreciated!
  • mrpresident
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrpresident polycounter lvl 10
    My Bounty Hunter mask got accepted into the game and it's 340 quads with a limit of 350 polygons.

In fact out of my whole Bounty Hunter set which was accepted into the game every piece gets close to the given limit while going way over with triangles. If it goes a single quad over (and I've tried) it won't work inside the importer, I'll get the error saying the polycount is too high.

Unless I've done something magical with the importer it seems to be quads; I've done it with my items for Doombringer, Pudge, Naga and Bounty Hunter and they all work fine.

Accepted into the workshop or accepted into the store?

All I was saying is that the importer accepts up to X quads, but the technical requirements page claims the limit is actually X triangles. There's a contradiction there.

If someone has an item actually in the store that used a quad limit instead of a triangle limit then that would prove they're fine with the tris going over the poly limit... until then I think I'm going to play it safe.
  • Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KingUNREAL wrote: »
    theseparatorbeauty.jpg

thehangmanbeauty.jpg

Some new Pudge weapons, rates and opinions appreciated!

Very nice, what do they look like in game?
  • KingUNREAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ex4000 wrote: »
    Very nice, what do they look like in game?

Thanks! If you click on the images, it'll direct you to their workshop page and you'll see a couple more pictures with in-game view.
  • crazyone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyone polycounter lvl 5
    @ KingUNREAL looks amazing , I jealous of your texturing skills )
    here's some my stuff for pudge
    Rz2ua.jpg
    VLDKZ.jpg
    jcRJX.jpg
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    Accepted into the workshop or accepted into the store?

All I was saying is that the importer accepts up to X quads, but the technical requirements page claims the limit is actually X triangles. There's a contradiction there.

If someone has an item actually in the store that used a quad limit instead of a triangle limit then that would prove they're fine with the tris going over the poly limit... until then I think I'm going to play it safe.

Yep, accepted into the store (not actually in yet but they're all listed on the item schema for the next big store update).

I'm going to revert for triangles, though, no point in continuing to use quads since chances are my items got through just because of the way the importer is currently built instead of Valve's own limit on triangles.

Still, it's an interesting topic for sure.
  • J4CK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J4CK polycounter lvl 4
    Hello guys here is our new submission for enigma. I hope you like it. :)
    310F43E8FE8A059874C596C8C39DDF1AD33267FE
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    Hi guys, i'm getting into Dota 2 modding too...
    After checking many links i still have quite a few doubts in my mind...
    Let's say i want to make a new Shuriken for Bounty Hunter.
    I go to Dota Workshop and i download their ref model of BH.
    I open the OBJs in max and it has 2 versions: V1 with all the objects on the ground in 0,0,0; V2 with the Shuriken in his backpack and the other items in 0,0,0.
    I imagine one is for the actual weapon when it's tossed, and the other one it's for visualizasion while doing other actions.

So which one i should modify? and once i finished, which one should i submit?
    Do they require to be skinned to the main model?

On a more generic base, all weapons should be in 0,0,0 when you modify them?
    Items to wear and cosmetics should be directly on the character? Do they need skinning?

*EDIT: one more question: i read that the shading on a model (and so on it's items) cannot be changed. So if i need to do an object with some emissive glow, how does it work? is it emissive in one of the 2 masks textures?

Thanks and sorry if the questions are silly ;)
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3SyKH.jpg
    Veno stingers done!

Might make a set of these if people like them.

Fun fact; Veno's masks are easy as shit to do haha.
  • Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai wrote: »
    Hi guys, i'm getting into Dota 2 modding too...
    After checking many links i still have quite a few doubts in my mind...
    Let's say i want to make a new Shuriken for Bounty Hunter.
    I go to Dota Workshop and i download their ref model of BH.
    I open the OBJs in max and it has 2 versions: V1 with all the objects on the ground in 0,0,0; V2 with the Shuriken in his backpack and the other items in 0,0,0.
    I imagine one is for the actual weapon when it's tossed, and the other one it's for visualizasion while doing other actions.

Items to wear and cosmetics should be directly on the character? Do they need skinning?

*EDIT: one more question: i read that the shading on a model (and so on it's items) cannot be changed. So if i need to do an object with some emissive glow, how does it work? is it emissive in one of the 2 masks textures?

Thanks and sorry if the questions are silly ;)

The emissive is in one of the masks, I think mask_1 alpha

This vid goes through them @2:40

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_pTAxfvKwc&t=2m40s"]From Maya to Dota 2 - YouTube[/ame]
  • SebastianBastian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SebastianBastian polycounter lvl 4
    hi, have anyone got the alpha to work ingame? I am trying to make a bottle transparent but all the usual tricks don´t seems to work.
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    @Ex4000 - your axe is looking nice in game. Its hard to tell when its not in motion but the green channel might be flipped on your normal map? One thing i noticed was the normal maps in the source files were not correct, not sure if they have been updated yet.

@KingUNREAL - really like your style, the in game screenshots even better :)

@crazyone - technically these look great, and i like the painterly style. Not sure about the pharaoh style choice for pudge though.

@BrontoThunder - i like em, fit the character well and nice to hear about the masks. Im finding some characters are much more agreeable than others in the shader department.
  • Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony wrote: »
    @Ex4000 - your axe is looking nice in game. Its hard to tell when its not in motion but the green channel might be flipped on your normal map? One thing i noticed was the normal maps in the source files were not correct, not sure if they have been updated yet.

@KingUNREAL - really like your style, the in game screenshots even better :)

@crazyone - technically these look great, and i like the painterly style. Not sure about the pharaoh style choice for pudge though.

@BrontoThunder - i like em, fit the character well and nice to hear about the masks. Im finding some characters are much more agreeable than others in the shader department.

I fixed the problem it was just a bad normal map, Going to try and get some zbrush knowledge so I can get baked normal/light maps for my next item, I used crazy bump for this one.
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Is anybody else having an issue with the up axis?

On a set that I've been working on for a while now (read: I don't know where the original bones came from), when I did a new item I had to bind it in Y-up space while the other items have to be bound in Z-up space (both in the same scene) to work properly. Both skeletons don't have any groups with offsets as parent or anything like that. For now, I'm kinda puzzled but I guess it also kinda works *shrugs*
  • Josh21
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik wrote: »
    Same issue here. Which skeleton are you using for reference, the decompiled one from the game or the one from the website? Also, Z up or Y up?

I am using the right hand weapon skeleton for bouny hunter, and skinning it only to the joint labelled "rhand". Y UP axis. It is the decompiled one from the game, using GCFScape.
  • KingUNREAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In regards to motenai,
    motenai wrote: »

You should have it placed where it is on the actual model (unless the joint is placed away from the model) scaled to an appropriate size and then smooth bound to the joint that controls the shuriken.

Yes, smooth bound to the appropriate joint(s)(make sure no joints are taking control when they shouldn't).

If you want to, always preference on where to begin your modeling.

Items need to always be (when finished and ready to import) moved into place and bound to the appropriate joint on the models rig.

So if i need to do an object with some emissive glow, how does it work? is it emissive in one of the 2 masks textures?

Yes, there isn't really an emissive rather a self illumination which is part of the alpha channel in mask1.
    Here's the video a friend from college made.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_pTAxfvKwc&feature=youtu.be
  • zicoV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They finally fixed the ingame upload for witch doctor so i could upload my staff that has been collecting dust for some time now. (yay!)

presentation02.jpg

Anyways click the image to vote if you like it :)
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Messing around with ideas for a CK shield. Not feeling it yet. Good a idea or scrap? Maybe too much details?
    ed91o.png
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    a lot of good works since my last visit =] congrats guys
    ----
    updates on the courier

normal map on both models ready and started to skecth some texture in it
    18kCE
    18kCs

later i post the winged version

any suggestion?
  • bn20
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    a lot of good works since my last visit =] congrats guys
    ----
    updates on the courier

normal map on both models ready and started to skecth some texture in it
    18kCE
    18kCs

later i post the winged version

any suggestion?

Alot of wear and tear on the creature, I see it as a fighter.

Spear for huskar with its incomplete base texture and no masks
    IgtAh.png

wJT28.png

Currently having issues with cliping on the spear with the third finger, its an easy fix but it also occur on some animations on valves dagger so is it ment to be like that?
  • Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paskie wrote: »
    Messing around with ideas for a CK shield. Not feeling it yet. Good a idea or scrap? Maybe too much details?
    ed91o.png

I think It'd be better if you lose the skull, something about chaos knight and skulls just doesn't seem right to me.

Chaos Knight has more of a Mordor look to him than an undead one.

Like this Axe for Chaos Knight, Its really awesome but doesn't fit with him, it would suit SK way way more

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=86728317&searchtext=
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    KingUNREAL wrote: »
    In regards to motenai,

You should have it placed where it is on the actual model (unless the joint is placed away from the model) scaled to an appropriate size and then smooth bound to the joint that controls the shuriken.

Thank for the answer KingUnreal.
    I quoted the answer that still i don't understand. I'll try to make it more clear... Bounty Hunter comes with 2 different geometry files in the non-maya version, one with the shuriken on the ground in 0,0,0 and one with the shuriken in the back pack, both bound to different bones.
    Do i have to submit a file with shuriken in both positions? or 2 different files? or one is enough?
  • Josh21
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally got my weapon properly scaled and skinned to the bone. This is what it looks like without any of the mask files tampered with. Any suggestions to make it more interesting? This is my first weapon that I have ever made (that wasn't for a school assignment). The normal map was made with crazybump.

dgiflz.jpg

5ds9ih.jpg

2ce65o8.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    18qWk

are you using the metalness on the mask?

keep doing, it improved a lot
  • Starcofski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok I am nearly at my breaking point on this whole transparency thing. If anyone is very good with textures I'd be willing to PM them, but the core issue remains the same; Main coloration of the wings (which is the original color sourced) is invisible / transparent no matter what I alter it with.
    In alternate news, here's a geometry shot of the armor pre-materials. It still needs a proper normal map, but I feel the concept is expressed.
    DBOuL.jpg
  • Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Starcofski wrote: »
    Ok I am nearly at my breaking point on this whole transparency thing. If anyone is very good with textures I'd be willing to PM them, but the core issue remains the same; Main coloration of the wings (which is the original color sourced) is invisible / transparent no matter what I alter it with.
    In alternate news, here's a geometry shot of the armor pre-materials. It still needs a proper normal map, but I feel the concept is expressed.
    DBOuL.jpg

If you have masks what are they like? Because theres somethings in there which can cause transparency.
  • ArchoX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    8rd71.jpg

I managed to complete something with no time at all. Thanks for the feedback.
  • AcidBurn3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stefco wrote: »
    hi guys, tnx for the feedback we fixed it, but now i have problem with the normal mask, its coming out too flat, how can i increase its whole volume, ive made the height 12 but its not doing a lot just bigger dents,

and bad result
    j8pguu.png

The main reason you got such a poor result is because you filtered the texture map through a normal map filter. If you want to get the best results, you should do it manually, using a grey as a background. This will make every thing flat. Then yoi will use white to raise an area in a 3d perspective and black to lower it. Using gradients will help you get smooth results. Then you put it through a normal map filter and voila. Epic normal map.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AcidBurn3r wrote: »
    The main reason you got such a poor result is because you filtered the texture map through a normal map filter. If you want to get the best results, you should do it manually, using a grey as a background. This will make every thing flat. Then yoi will use white to raise an area in a 3d perspective and black to lower it. Using gradients will help you get smooth results. Then you put it through a normal map filter and voila. Epic normal map.

my suggestion is to create a high poly model and get the normalmap the traditional way =]

then you get one like this
    18vRX
  • Starcofski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ex4000 The masks I'm using are sampled below (where the main issue lies)

http://i.imgur.com/rSMED.png
    http://i.imgur.com/9h0kH.png

(Hyperlinked to save on space and load times for others)
    Also, is there a way to actually animate the tail with a new bone attached to the skeleton? or is that a no-no?
  • Josh21
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    18qWk

are you using the metalness on the mask?

keep doing, it improved a lot

Thank you for the kind words. Is your drawing supposed to tell me that the handle is correct or that it needs to be changed? Metalness mask would be used soley on the blade I am assuming yeah? Thanks again!
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh21 wrote: »
    Thank you for the kind words. Is your drawing supposed to tell me that the handle is correct or that it needs to be changed? Metalness mask would be used soley on the blade I am assuming yeah? Thanks again!

sorry, should have be more direct

i drawn some lines to show you that the handle is a little strange

can be some uv or texture problems, the lines that i draw should be more even

yours is a little jagged
  • Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Starcofski wrote: »
    @ex4000 The masks I'm using are sampled below (where the main issue lies)

http://i.imgur.com/rSMED.png
    http://i.imgur.com/9h0kH.png

(Hyperlinked to save on space and load times for others)
    Also, is there a way to actually animate the tail with a new bone attached to the skeleton? or is that a no-no?

Its hard to tell from looking at the masks but check each channel and make sure nothing is wrong with them, this video explains each mask @2.40

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_pTAxfvKwc&t=2m40s"]From Maya to Dota 2 - YouTube[/ame]

Started working on a weapon for void, Im unsure about it at the moment. It looks "off".

P9lQA.jpg
  • Josh21
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry, should have be more direct

i drawn some lines to show you that the handle is a little strange

can be some uv or texture problems, the lines that i draw should be more even

yours is a little jagged

Ok thanks! I'll see what I can do.
  • LiselottePulva
    New parts for my axe set:

c&c would be nice! cause im also working on it.

axe_weapon_01.jpg
    axe_shoulder_01.jpgaxe_helmet_01.jpg
  • jmt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmt
    Here's the sculpt for my Naga Siren sword. Now it's time to do the texture, LOD 0 + 1, and normal map.
    gb2N7.png
  • Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wish I could just upload the high poly model to the workshop.

RZNhW.jpg

Q2bXJ.jpg

First time making high polys, Hopefully I can get the bakes done tomorrow.
  • bn20
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmt wrote: »
    Here's the sculpt for my Naga Siren sword. Now it's time to do the texture, LOD 0 + 1, and normal map.
    gb2N7.png

Sick.

Any criticism on my Blank masked texture?

FO3Pl.png
  • Starcofski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ex4000 : That's what I've been using since day 1. It doesn't seem to address the issue, nor even acknowledge it.
    HOWEVER, I now feel really stupid, as I found that my alphas were goobered up on every single map, including the color.
    Link to the finished submission: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=99026767
    In the end, I felt that making it busier and more cluttered would make the model less distinguishable in a fast-paced environment. It may not be as "Beautiful" as the original wings, but I felt that overall it fit better thematically with the rest of the set.
    Also, I had a basic idea for a Doom weapon, but as it would not meet the style of him, I am unsure if I should even try to design it in a working color scheme. 1mmoJ.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ex4000 wrote: »
    I wish I could just upload the high poly model to the workshop.

RZNhW.jpg

Q2bXJ.jpg

First time making high polys, Hopefully I can get the bakes done tomorrow.

its not that hard, if you want some help just ask =]

wich program are you going to use?

bn20 wrote: »
    Sick.

Any criticism on my Blank masked texture?

FO3Pl.png

the red rope is a red rope?
    i think this particular detail is a little out from you design

i dont see how a rope could fix the tip of the spear, you could take it out and will be increase the overall quality of you model =]
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LiselottePulva That set is ballin' but my only issue is that it looks like the X-men logo is on it haha.

Here's my first piece of a set I'm doing for Sniper :)
    w9K2P.jpg
  • Adrienne480
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I finished my Shoulder Armor for the beastmaster.
    Than i deleted all files except the shoulder Armor and
    saved it as a .Obj data and converted it with MilkShape 3D
    to a MLD
  • SevenFiveSeven
    Pretty new to modeling, this is actually my first "proper" model. It's a torch and is intended to replace the ward, and I'm planning on making a set of custom particles.

Right now I'm thinking that the model is looking a little boring. Anybody have any thoughts on it?

eWlSt.png
  • Rik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rik
    New parts for my axe set:

c&c would be nice! cause im also working on it.

Awesome axe!! Can we get some closer shots?

I think you did a good job creating the helmet, but it looks too sci-face space to me and so doesn't seem like it fits this theme. The black metal and emissive red 'lights' are the main cause of this. Maybe if you changed the material to look more like metal instead of the fiberglassy look, and replaced the X-Man X with a ruby?

Love the axe!!

@Bronto - Very nice beard you got there. The chin area between his 'stache and the beard look more like a fat lip right now, and not the skin leading to a chin. I think that's because we don't see his mouth at all. Maybe model in some bottom lip? Love the wavy beard look.

I know I want books to be the theme for my staff and replacement lantern. Now I'm a little stuck though..

Option 1: Black Grimoire lantern replacement, and a stack of books on the podium for a staff
    Option 2: Stack of books for a lantern replacement, and the Black Black Grimoire bound to the staff
    Option 3: Black Grimoire lantern replacement, and a different styled staff.

This is the Warlocks own Black Grimoire, and with so much arcane knowledge, that sucker's gotta be big. I'm using the Pirata Codex from Pirates of the Carribean as the basis for the size. See it at http://www.empireonline.com/images/image_index/original/49611.jpg

Here's the concept I'm using for the Black Grimoire as of right now with some PS filters thrown on. Colors are temporary. The eyeball is bulging out of the front cover, and the front cover is ripped open. The orange curve above the eye leading into the cover reinforcements is meant to follow the shape of his robes leading from the eye on his chest up to his neck. I think the craggy skin texture will be changed to match the scaley black around they eye on his current robe.

BlackTome-1.jpg

This staff is the same height and top-heavy dimensions of his original staff. Here are the proxy models I'm working off.

Stalves_front.jpg
  • Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LiselottePulva That set is ballin' but my only issue is that it looks like the X-men logo is on it haha.

Here's my first piece of a set I'm doing for Sniper :)
    w9K2P.jpg

Saw this on the workshop awesome as hell, I think you need to contact Valve though and ask them if they can fix snipers eyes, Im sure if your item gets popular they might consider it.

And change the voice actor!
  • LiselottePulva
    Thanks for the great comments.

Haha, you're right - it looks like X-Men. I never seen this movie and the logo.
    SO thats nasty.

yeah rik ! I will try a skull or a gem variation. For 3 items i will cost alot of time :(
    Mamorset
    axe_mamorset_01.jpg

°jmt
    cool weapon - hope we can see some textures soon.

°rik
    cool idea but try to me more creative with the order of the books. He is a mage - The books order can be more messy.
    I paint something for you:
    warlock_books.jpg

°bro
    Y - sniper need some items - keep going. The hood can be a litte bit more exciting.
  • Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its not that hard, if you want some help just ask =]

wich program are you going to use?

the red rope is a red rope?
    i think this particular detail is a little out from you design

i dont see how a rope could fix the tip of the spear, you could take it out and will be increase the overall quality of you model =]

I got the bakes done lighting took me awhile though (couldn't find the right way to disable my low polys shadows for awhile) just picking colours now.

SDKd2.jpg

Not sure if I should rotate it or not.
    UUiop.jpg
  • 4evra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4evra polycounter lvl 4
    ex4000,that looks more like a staff rather than a mace.
    Those curves are way too wide for them to give out a feeling of a melee weapon.
    At least for me :)
  • Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4evra wrote: »
    ex4000,that looks more like a staff rather than a mace.
    Those curves are way too wide for them to give out a feeling of a melee weapon.
    At least for me :)

Think of them like horns, Like I said I might rotate it around to he will hit from the front rather than the side of the 2 front parts
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the great comments.

warlock_books.jpg

°bro
    Y - sniper need some items - keep going. The hood can be a litte bit more exciting.

loved the staff! =]