Home General Discussion

DAY Z : Mod for ARMA II (Zombie Apocalypse Survivalist FPS/RPG)

Replies

• Pierate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pierate polycounter lvl 15
    Well, I ended up buying it, I can live with the alphaness and im guessing it's only going to get better anyway.
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Totally forget to post this teaser video yesterday. This was edited by one of my coworkers using joint footage from both of our perspectives as we play with several other friends:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O54ltIRqtQQ"]Day Z Gameplay Teaser | The Zombie apocalypse is here... who can you trust? - YouTube[/ame]
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Craft4D wrote: »
    another video. Kinda bandit but they were right on top of my teammate before we noticed them. We didn't want to take the chance so we took them out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSNiefZSTyo&feature=youtu.be

I think you were in the server me and my friend were on... your name looks familiar ha
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh, a silenced M9! Jealous.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Dean "Rocket" Hall's shirt at E3 :P

HSykA.jpg
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
  • Pierate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pierate polycounter lvl 15
    Been having a lot of fun the times I've been able to get on and play, although my thirst and hunger always seems to go towards red when not playing, is this intended? It sucks a bit having to use up one drink and one food every time i login after not having played for a few hours.
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For those of you just starting out, this is how NOT to loot the North-East airfield:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdvuX8H6RGA"]Day Z: How NOT to loot the North-East airfield (or, how I became a creeper) - YouTube[/ame]
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Haha I helped out some guys who thought it was safe to be on a roof on cherno.
    Dave I noticed one of you guys where fighting in 3rd person, dont do that since the vertical aim may be of by a lot of degrees. (Just test aiming in different stances in 3rd person and then go into 1st person and see where you are actually aiming.)
  • Hristo Rusanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hristo Rusanov polycounter lvl 7
    Holly crap if this is true!I'm not convinced about WW2 stuff but still...:)
    http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=12968
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    The only thing about those rumors that I don't like, is this:

"- they are considering using the arma 3 engine to release a stand alone version of the mod (which may take place in WW2/1944 invasion)"

I really don't want a WW2 game again with zombies :P
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    McGreed wrote: »
    I really don't want a WW2 game again with zombies :P

I wouldn't either, but as long as the mechanics stay amazing.. I have no complaints. :D
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll just take the enter-able buildings.
    I totally don't like the one server everybody in it kinda thing like a MMO , that would be ridiculous.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    the bit about WWII was a misunderstanding about a comment.

He said DayZ might be a stand-alone game like the WWII Arma-based game Iron Front
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Things that happened to me over the past few days playing.

Yesterday: Found a Ghillie suit! but fell into the trap of the clothing change bug. If you change clothing you can end up swimming in the middle of the ocean. But I was able to see land and swam to it. If it happens to you, when you hit the coastline you'll need to go NE (right). Also I lost all my stuff that wasn't in my backpack. So I had no guns, which is fine as its another challenge to start the game without a gun.

Today: Found a Bicycle! its soo much fun and fast! Going through woodland is like being on a Speeder Bike. You have to be careful though, zombies see you quite easily so you need to be wary of buildings and deerstands. But you can quite easily get away from zombies then get off the bike and pick them off as they run toward you. Strange thing is though. The Bike is a lot quieter than running but it gets more bars on the hearing HUD indicator. I'd say a bike would be quieter in real life as well.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I want to ride a bike wearing a ghillie suit.

Please?
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Found a bike huh? lucky dawg....didnt know there were Ghillie suits...what advantages do they give you?
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    yeah. It looks very silly. I'll try and get a screen grab tomorrow if I can get on the same server and hope that the bike is saved.

I don't think there is an advantage tbh. It doesn't reduce my visibility as far as the Zeds are concerned. But I think if I stay still near a bush other players would have a hard time seeing me as long as im on a Vet or Hardcore server.

There is a big down side though, I think it makes people shoot at me more. If I was wearing civilian gear I think less people would shoot on sight. I think it makes people think im a Bandit or they want my clothes real bad.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sectaurs, ahh okay, then I guess that would be alright. While 'lowtech' environments has their advantages, I just wouldn't be able to get into the whole "we are doomed" mood, if it wasn't reconizable time/environments. Plus, there would be some more "OMGZ!! Found a helicopter and it just need a new coat of paint!".

Regarding the whole population will be on one server/world, don't think it will be that a big problem, if the maps expands that much as well, so instead of provinse, we get europe. :) Plus that would kinda be cool, lot more variation.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    McGreed wrote: »
    Regarding the whole population will be on one server/world, don't think it will be that a big problem, if the maps expands that much as well, so instead of provinse, we get europe. :) Plus that would kinda be cool, lot more variation.

I agree, it would be fantastic, especially in the eve sense.

One giant world where you don't wonder if you are playing in the same world as your friends, it could definitely be done without making it a giant spam-fest of players.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld, also imagine the diaries you would find, with two people who spend weeks to go though just to meet up in a town.

"Day 6: Went though a town and found a HAM radio, manage to get it working and sent a message at our agreed time. Got no reply, consider staying and scout the area and trying again tomorrow."
    "Day 7: The bandit gang Brotherhood of Blood went though the town, had to stay hidden in top floor, the floor crawling with zombies, attracted by the Brotherhoods engine sounds. I'm down to my last bag of instant noodles. Should have left when I could, went out tonight and found the HAM radio smashed to pieces..."
    "Day 15: I found him! We meet up at the firestation, both pretty tired. Decided to hide in the tower and then go scavagin tomorrow."
    "Day 15, night: We are fucked. The zombies had followed him, he didn't bother to be careful, because he was so close, so now the whole area is swarming with Zs...and they know we are here...We need to###"

:) But ultimately I just want to see parts of Denmark in the claws of zombies. ;)
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Found a hatchet in the gas station along the coastline...made my way toward Cherno. Saw a player running along the coastline ( I was in the treeline) Heard gunshots, took out a few Zed's of my own.

Got up to an apartment building in Balota I think, belly crawled in, heard shots, heard Zeds...got up to run to a door...took a few steps and then a whisper sound...I was dead.

I actually am beginning to dislike this game.
  • Mongrelman
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Here it is. Ghillie biking!!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmA9HhjTrIA"]Lets go Ghillie Biking!!! (DayZ) - YouTube[/ame]
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome.

Today was interesting. I got onto a server with 0 zeds. So I was able to make my way to the apartment building that i got killed at yesterday. On this server, there was no loot to go with no zombies. I relogged and looted the apartments.

In one room, I got a compass map and watch.

Came back to the game later...spawned out in the middle of the plains...I could move and i could see others standing there.

They couldnt move, so in uncharacteristic form, I peaked into a couple of packs and stole 4 bloodpacks.

Havving run out of this situation before (just head east)...I started running....and running...and running....

...no trees, roads or water....in the end, i cut my throat....
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    ahh is it worth it .. to buy a 25€ pc game
    you not interested in - only to play the mod ?

Can someone hellp me with this decision, and
    yes - iam a student - the money vulture always circles deep ;)
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Dern. Was on top of the largest roof in the industrial area in Cherno. Heard someone come up so I came around a tank and one shot him with my lee enfield. After a few minutes I went out and ate his beans, and shortly after I got pistoled while examining his loot. I guess I didn't wait long enough to see if he had a friend with him. Lost about 170 Lee Enfield bullets that I found a few days ago.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Alphavader wrote: »
    ahh is it worth it .. to buy a 25€ pc game
    you not interested in - only to play the mod ?

Can someone hellp me with this decision, and
    yes - iam a student - the money vulture always circles deep ;)

I had the same dilemma. I wasn't really going to buy Arma2. But you shouldn't think that you're buying a game you're not going to use. You are actually using the game and if it weren't for that game there would be no DayZ. Anyhoo, I've played about 90hrs of DayZ so it was well worth it for me. Plus I still have Arma2 and all its expansions should I want to play that one day.

Also, I have heard rumour that you can get DayZ working with the free version of Arma2 but it takes a bit more work. It's not "illegal" to do it either so I hear. Look into it.
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    ah thanks, i think about it...
    The rumors are not entirely true, you can play day z with
    arma 2 "free verson" + original operation arrowhead (saved you about 12 $ )
    I think ill buy it ;)
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Holy dick balls... Grouped up with an Australian guy and went to the apartments right outside of Cherno. I found another Lee Enfield and like 8 magazines for it. Then we're at the hospital looking for blood since I had 6000 and nutsacks... The ladder glitched on me and I fell down, passed out, was losing blood, and a zombie ran over and started chewing on me. My new Australian friend rushed down and killed about 8 Z's rushing over, Epi Penned me and I got up and bandaged with 500 blood left. There was also a blood sack in the box I landed next to (Which is why I was going down there in the first place) so I was safe. Now I'm ready to go up onto that industrial building in Cherno and start sniping everyone I see like a complete asshole.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Caved-in and bought it last night and had a brief play.

Spawned, died about 4 minutes later from some zeds.

Spawned again, got chased by a bunch of zeds and then had a guy join in with an AK to finish me off.

Spawned again elsewhere, snuck into some buildings, found a shop, loot respawned while I was in there so picked up a bigger pack, winchester, some food etc. and good hear what sounded like someone chugging soda a few times. A minute later as I turned I saw a guy in a ghillie suit through a doorway (think he just saw me at that point too). I backed up and he fired and missed, so I took his face off as he peered out the door (I think it may have actually be the guy who gunned me down before). He had a compass, maps, food, knife, hatchet, remington, bandages etc. so I grabbed what I could while listening to what seemed to be zeds close by. I looked up and saw 3 or 4 of them on the other side of the counter looking at me. I edged back and then started taking damage and died.

Interesting start, looking forward to getting more familiar with it :)
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lag has been bad today. I was holed up overnight in the southern airport tower...moving back and forth from the hanger, looking for a better weapon. Never happened. I had a great mix of mags and a whole lot of supplies...all I needed was a rifle.

When down to the middle level to see if loot had spawned and saw a survivor, weapon drawn pointed at me. Since he didnt fire right away, I typed friendly just as he shot me...oh well.

Later on respawn, I have found a truck and it needs more work than I can give it, but the gear inside was 2 car wheels, a hatchet, 5 entrenching tools, ect, ect...and the damn server lag prevented me from loading up....

Hoping servers to see if i can get anything from it....but the servers are unresponsive.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana wrote: »
    Lag has been bad today. I was holed up overnight in the southern airport tower...moving back and forth from the hanger, looking for a better weapon. Never happened. I had a great mix of mags and a whole lot of supplies...all I needed was a rifle.

Is that the Balota airfield? There's usually an AK47 under the stairs on the ground floor. And to maximise your looting, once you've checked out the tower and hangars, there's the field hospital across the field and across the road, almost opposite from the hangar doors.

Yeah. Lag's been bad today. I've barely gotten onto a server, and the one I did manage to get onto wasn't spawning loot :(
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll remember that about the AK in the future...though I didnt have any mags for it and I never checked the ground floor...though i believe there are 6 loot spots in a tower
    ?
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana wrote: »
    I'll remember that about the AK in the future...though I didnt have any mags for it and I never checked the ground floor...though i believe there are 6 loot spots in a tower
    ?

It usually comes with a couple of mags, and AK+ammo are common in the field hospital across the way :)

Yeah. There are a bunch of loot spawns in the control tower. One on each floor apart from the actual roof.
  • Cexar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cexar polycounter lvl 6
    Played a lot today, having way much more fun that I thought I'd have.
    First playthrough just running through the forrest and then I entered a village and got madly overrun.

Second playthrough I was in either Elektro or Chern and got sniped by a guy in a big warehouse tower thingy, fuck that guy.

These last couple of hours has been me and two friends trying to find each other, using the moon and lighthouses as waypoints. When we caught up with each other we had to deal with the lag most of the time. We changed server, got daylight instead of night and loads of zombies. We entered Elektro and got swaaaarmed, everyone died. Good fun!
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    I hear a lot of people complaining about Lag on the servers. But I never really notice it. I have heard that the lag is due to the amount of dead bodies in large towns though and it was meant to be fixed in 1.7. I play up in the NW and theres a lot less people up there so maybe thats why I don't notice the lag.

I'm about to start heading south though. I've had enough of playing "lone woodland warrior". Time to start killing people and seeing what its like to hunt Man flesh.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How do you change your name by the way?

I'm up for trying to group up if anyone is about.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Here's todays gameplay. My mission...survive...My quest....a CZ 550.... (and a stable server).....

Got the free download of fraps which limits each recording to 30 secs. I think it works quite well doing it in snipets. I'd like Crit on this video btw. I'll be doing another. Maybe us Polycounters could hook up for a communal video (like thats gonna happen).

My steam is rickystinger if you fancy hooking up. btw. My next mission is to go hunting people and to find a new bike.

Enjoy.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeNGNK89xSs"]DayZ, A day in the life of - YouTube[/ame]
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman wrote: »
    How do you change your name by the way?

I'm up for trying to group up if anyone is about.

You need to make a new profile from the OA main menu. Unfortunately, you can't edit the name of the first profile the game makes, for some reason.
    Stinger88 wrote: »
    Here's todays gameplay. My mission...survive...My quest....a CZ 550.... (and a stable server).....

Got the free download of fraps which limits each recording to 30 secs. I think it works quite well doing it in snipets. I'd like Crit on this video btw. I'll be doing another. Maybe us Polycounters could hook up for a communal video (like thats gonna happen).

Where abouts are you ingame? I'll meet up with you for some hijynx.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    ^^ currently i'm in between Nory sobor and Guglovo. According to the DayZ wiki a bike spawn is available in a shed there. So I'll spawn around that area to see if it shows up. Also Stary Sobor military camp is a popular stopping point for players so I might do some hunting there for a bit.

Also. I've been completely addicted by this game. I'm trying to figure out why but when I play it I get the same feeling I did from a few games.

Thief. The first one. Out whiting the AI and sneaking about just outside its line of sight is scary as F*^k. With real people it wouldnt be possible. This is where an AI mechanic works so much better than a real person. Its like beating a puzzle thats flowing and unpredictable. A real person would just look at you and kill you. This is like a mechanical puzzle that moves randomly. If you get me...

Minecraft. Luckily hitting upon nice loot (MC mining materials) and constantly "digging" around for new stuff. I constantly say "ok, I'll just look in one more house before I leave...ok, one more after this one"

Also being in Alpha makes me like it more. I stopped play MC when it was eventually released. Maybe I was bored or maybe I just liked the raw game as it was being made.

Zombies games: Take your pick, L4D, resident evil, etc. I love killing zombies. And I'm hopeful that the zombie apoc arrives soon so I can put my training into good use.

Open world games: Skyrim, gta, etc... This is more realistic! and it has bikes and ghillie suits ;P
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Almost done watching your vid. Your text narration is hilarious.

Added you on Steam. If anyone wants to add me, I'm here. "Gan on son. Get some crack doon ya neck."
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Had a good night myself tonight. Lag dropped off to nothing...no much problem logging onto servers...I think the lag is due to high volume. Daytime was slow.

Made my way up to Berezino...really recomend this place. Not much in the way of player action...alot of zeds (read : no one comes here to exterminate).

On the way up I ran out of Mak ammo...thinking oh shit....running in the woods...keeping parallel to the RR tracks. Come to 3 buildings...and found more MAK, an 1866 and other much needed goodies, as I had lost blood earlier.

Came across a boar, put a MAk round at 1 foot range in the head...he dropped, but an axe wont cut steaks...bummer.

Now at the lumber yard...havent found much...the zonbies are everywhere though and they get close...

tried to take a screenie, but it didnt work.

Also found out about 3rd person today...makes life much eaier.

* great vid Stinger...I think i learned alot in that 16 minutes...Awesome.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers. How do you switch to 3rd person view by the way?

Well, I spent a loooooot of time running today, heading north(ish). Looking at the map, it seems I went beyond the border of it for a bit, hence the lack of everything, including trees. I circled back and ended up at the airstrip in the north east (I'm pretty sure). And I think I am now in Berezino. As I was leaving Klen I got a zed on me so I ran away for awhile and shot him with my Lee Enfield.....which brought about another 15 or so on me (that thing is LOUD). Thankfully I had lots of ammo so dealt with them all, but I've switched to a winny again.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enter + numlock
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One more update, then I'll stop. :)

Was hold up in a building in the lumber yard. Had taken three servers to get on as the first two were night.

On the third try, went into the sideroom, found a hunting knife (Yeah!)...started to move around the catwalk to make my way back down to ground level...I hear shots.

I wait....sure enough a survivor with a rifle comes in. I have my pistol out as i had run out of win ammo.

He loots below me, so he's out of my line of sight...he might go for the Jerry can though, next to the stairs...he doesnt.

So now i have a problem. I'm cornered, on my last 2 MAK clips, but there wont be time to reload.. I have the high ground.

I blast away, and dont kill him (apparently I didnt have a full mag) he drops to his knee at the bottom of the stairs and scans around until he sees me.

I'm trying to move away from the edge and reload...but he takes perfect aim with a pistol and kills me with a headshot....good for him.

I can only hope that my loud MAk, brought the zeds,but he had patience, so who knows.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My friend logged on we were in stary, and he appeared in the ocean and has to swim now :( I guess i'm on my own now... am I the only one that kinda gets scared/freaked out roaming alone?
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    his gear is going to be gone. He might as well kill himself

Not necasserily. I swam and got back to civilisation, well, whats left of it. You don't lose you're backpack and whatevers in it. Just have to head for Deerstands and things to get your weapons back. It takes a while but if your backpackis full of good stuff its worth it. And you get to keep whatever you're new clothes are.

Just swim to coast and turn right.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    his gear is going to be gone. He might as well kill himself

Like Stinger said, its possible his stuff may stay, doesn't hurt to swim back and find out, but I am scared to head south now haha.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    K. Here's todays gameplay vid. Time to go Human Hunting!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAtlpxHnF8s"]DayZ, a day in the life. Becoming a Bandit. - YouTube[/ame]