Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sketch A Day.

Replies

• Aleon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aleon polycounter lvl 8
    @Twoflower: Love the color scheme, seems to be quite spot on. On the other and, try to observe more photos. Mountains don't tend to grow out of the ground just like that.
    @aiconix: Those poses are quite awesome, I love the dynamic feel.
    @Erik: I love those vehicles, nice colors and pretty unique shapes. Maybe put on something that indicates scale? I guess these are small vehicles but if I had to guess the exact length I'd say they are smaller than a meter, and I guess that's not the case.

Day 2 - ish, I actually started this yesterday... Not for the contest as of right now :D
    gameart2.png
  • ErikNilsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErikNilsson polycounter
    looks like an interesting planet aiconx!

Cool pic Aleon!

Thumbs for the alien planet: Day 130!
    alienplanetthumbs.png
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    Day 10
    speedart20.pngspeedart21png.png
    speedart22.png

Some quickies I did before the bed hour, nothing serious, just practice. Especially the last one, i will work more on vehicles, i have so far to go!
  • kinekun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kinekun polycounter lvl 5
    aicont: Like the environment, feels like it would look good celshaded

aleon: Really dig the waves and lighttower. Good control of values, I respect that =D

Nuclear angel: Hey, that's the purpose of this thread, right? Lots of practice and feedback! Think you got something going on with the third picture, I'm intrigued.

Started watching some videos to get better with poses and anatomy. Most of these are directly referenced from these videos.

Daily 29

daily_29_by_kinekun-d51kb8e.jpg
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Aleon wrote: »
    @Twoflower: Love the color scheme, seems to be quite spot on. On the other and, try to observe more photos. Mountains don't tend to grow out of the ground just like that.
    @aiconix: Those poses are quite awesome, I love the dynamic feel.
    @Erik: I love those vehicles, nice colors and pretty unique shapes. Maybe put on something that indicates scale? I guess these are small vehicles but if I had to guess the exact length I'd say they are smaller than a meter, and I guess that's not the case.

Day 2 - ish, I actually started this yesterday... Not for the contest as of right now :D
    gameart2.png
    Woah! could you go over your method for waves?
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Day 11:

@Kinekun, thanks mate!

speedart23.png
  • aiconx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lovely water and sky there Aleon
    nice concept Angel

Day 13
    Right hand
    tumblr_m4s500P3J61qhql5fo1_1280.jpg

Left hand
    tumblr_m4s500P3J61qhql5fo2_r1_1280.jpg
  • TDub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TDub polycounter lvl 13
  • Aleon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aleon polycounter lvl 8
    @aiconix: Do you use the color picker, or you do those portrait colors on your own? They look damn nice.
    @TDub: Awesome colors! Welcome to the thread :)

Day 3 - Started some ideas regarding the challenge... Not quite alien yet.
    40506082.png

My concept sheet I made in school:
    conceptsheet.png

(Reference sheet so far: http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/5710/refsheet.png)

@frell: I'm afraid there aren't too much steps to break down. I'm not quite good at tutorials so bear with me :D The important thing is the reference I guess but, here's a little stuff for you.
  • kinekun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uwaah, everyone's super talented! Welp, I'm gonna keep on my track and do more poses ,)

Daily 30

daily_sketch_30_by_kinekun-d51ob6u.jpg
  • ErikNilsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErikNilsson polycounter
    Nice guys!

aiconx: Cool left hand drawing! Liking that design! Think you might want more "space" on your "alien planet" pic.

TDub: Welcome to the thread! Colors look really nice!

Aleon: Im liking them colors :D Nice composition, not to crowded!

After trying a few things out I think this is the idea I will stick to!

Day 131 -

alienplanetv2.png
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    I'm back and brought a friend, got my Wacom Intuos5 S and made a paint exercise. Will probably do the alien planet tomorrow.

landscape.jpg
  • aiconx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Day 13b

Aleon: I got so inspired by that reference post about water so I had to practice some myself! And for the portrait I colour picked the base colours :)
    Like the partial lighting you have on the cliffs there!

kine: Nice! Your poses keep getting better and better!

Yeah I think your right erik, think I'm gonna start over with the alien planet, right now I've got only a house haha. Like those weird plant things you've got going on!

tumblr_m4szqrPofZ1qhql5fo1_r1_1280.jpg
  • erenik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice to see some reference painting! Will have to do that myself soon too o-o;
    So busy lately, but here's a pic from today at least:
    freedom_by_erenik-d51ogob.png
  • aiconx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Day 14

Started working on new alien planet ideas, thinking of a hanging forest or something, lit by below by light shining down through holes in the cave roof and then bouncing around in mist or something like that
    tumblr_m4ud4r2ce41qhql5fo1_500.jpg

Left hand
    tumblr_m4ud4r2ce41qhql5fo2_1280.jpg
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Aleon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aleon polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks guys!

That's awesome aiconx! I love both the idea and the result ;) Good to see my work was actually somewhat useful.
    Keep developing that idea Eric, looks promising.
    kinekun, I love the poses. Your understanding of the body seems to be quite solid now.
    Nice planet nuclear. Do you plan on doing some environment studies? I think that would help you understand how you can improve on your perspective.

Day 4 - Just some more concepts regarding the planet. I made some progress with the painting itself but it's not worth showing yet.
    conceptsheet2.png
  • ErikNilsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErikNilsson polycounter
    erenik: Nice light!

Aleon: I really like the lower one! Awesome!

Angel: Neat! It certanly feels like a strange jungle planet! Cool!
    I Agree with Aleon, doing some environment studies is a good id
  • Twoflower
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    day 62 the first one is an attempt at an alien planet but didn't turn out enough alien ^^
    zIhSo.jpg
    Aoaqi.jpg
    Need to work more on getting a nice atmosphere in my paintings
  • ErikNilsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErikNilsson polycounter
    The top one is really nice, it just need some background shadows or something.
    The lower one has a really nice light, very werewolfy/Dracula :P

Rally nice start but yeah, the top one feels more alien :)

Guess this is "your" kinda assignment? :D
  • Twoflower
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha yeah environments ftw ^^
    Will try and do a new environment tomorrow that hopefully feels more alien :)

fun seeing what people come up with on these challenges :)
  • kinekun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aicon, aleon, thanks for the kind words! Don't think I deserve them though, since I slavishly copy most of the poses from a tutorial series, but thanks anyways!

Continued on the same track today and will finish the series tomorrow. Afterwards I'll prolly spend some days to review, check what stuck and what didn't. Heartily recommend G.S. Bridgman's books and David Finch's Gnomon videos if anyone's interested in anatomy and human poses and that kinda stuff!

...maybe I'll do some environ when all that is over, haha

Daily 31

daily_sketch_31_by_kinekun-d51t19b.jpg
  • TDub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TDub polycounter lvl 13
    Day 2

LandscapeSpeed3.png

Thanks guys! Trying my best to get colors and mood down.
  • erenik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErikNilsson & TwoFlower: Nice environments!
    TDub: Lovely colors!
    Trying some brighter colors today, with summer and school year ending XD
    2012_05_31_by_erenik-d51vp0r.png
  • aiconx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Day 15

More refined idea for alien world
    tumblr_m4wfj3hEnI1qhql5fo1_1280.jpg

Left hand
    tumblr_m4wfj3hEnI1qhql5fo2_1280.jpg
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Day 12

@aiconx the idea of a hanging forest is sick, i like the colors a lot, because the colors feel balanced to my eyes
    @Tdub that guy walking that line made me smile, really beautiful
    @twoflower top one definitely

enviro001.png

Thank you all for the feedback, been doing a lot of study on materials and environments. This days picture, well i could use some help on finding what i should focus on. Should i add something or what should i make to be in focus? Haha it is now i realized mine is similar to the tutorial video you guys posted, but with my own designs. But really felt like making a city with some kind of ship to it. But as i stated above, i need help on what to put focus on.
    My idea right now is to in the left corner remove the roof stones there and make some kind of hill overlooking the narrow street were the mecs are marching. But thanks in advance for any ideas and C&C.
  • aiconx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks NA!
    Your picture looks really cool so far! Nice fading there on the structures in the far back. But perhaps the mechs in the foreground could be a bit bigger to give it more depth?
    I like the idea of an overlooking hill, maybe even with a supervisor or something on it?
  • ErikNilsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErikNilsson polycounter
    TDub: Cool! I like that they are all connected by the "wire" or rope or whatever, it kewl anyway :D

aiconx: Nice stuff! Cool pose! And really cool id
  • kinekun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cloudforest, spacemachinges and underwater(?) all look cool, kep up!

But man, today was really slow and I don't have any motivation to bring anything up. But here is a sketch of a lone person at least, just to keep up the pace.

daily_sketch_32_by_kinekun-d51x92l.jpg
  • Aleon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aleon polycounter lvl 8
    Day 5 - A bit late but meh.. Trying to get my rusty human drawing skills back up.
    characters1.png
  • kinekun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aleon: Looks good to me =)

A few sketches while referencing anatomy

daily_sketch_32_by_kinekun-d5201eh.jpg
  • aiconx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Day 16

Felt I wanted to indulge in my favourite activity today, character/costume design :>
    A shaman dude and (left hand) his grandkid

tumblr_m4yaa2df7L1qhql5fo1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_m4yaa2df7L1qhql5fo2_1280.jpg
  • Twoflower
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kinekun: Days with no motivation sucks but its something we all have to go through. what works for me is just opening PS and going "screw it, im just gonna mess around with stuff". The result usally sucks but atleast i drew something and the next day i feel it can't turn out worse than yesterdays stuff ^^ Also watching some cool animes or movies always helps aswell ^^

Aleon: that chick with the bow looks really good imo

Erik: Cool concept, could use abit more refinement ^^

Angel: i usually draw stuff that is closer in the environment with darker values as it often helps to give more depth to the environment. now the closet robot have the same values as the robot that is farthest away and that don't help to sell the depth of the environment

Erenik: think you need to define the geometric forms in your painting more.

Aiconx: Really like the design of shaman dude. Think you have some proportions problem with his legs, because they feel too short. Think you really could improve the painting with including some kind of light source aswell. did a quick paintover to show you what i mean :)
    Z2VhZ.jpg

My internet went down yesterday so couldn't post my images yesterday so you get a dump with images today instead ^^

Day 63-64
    inspired by the FZD tut you linked erik :P
    ifV9S.jpg
    ifrnR.jpg
    mvzky.jpg
    started to watch avatar: Legend of Korra and got inspired to draw some elemental users battle in a fire environment ^^
    VZIRv.jpg
  • Aleon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aleon polycounter lvl 8
    Twoflower, aiconx those are fantastic! Twoflower is right tho, the guy needs longer legs :)

@Erik: Try to clear up your shapes a bit. Right now the lighting and the forms just blend together and I have a hard time visualizing what's exactly going on. I like the design tho, reminds me of underwater stuff.

Trying to catch up on this...
    Day 6 - Continued working on the challenge picture. Nothing major, just going in the details.
    27942637.png
    Edit: Now that I look at it, the light is hitting the tower in an impossible angle... Need to fix that.
  • ErikNilsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErikNilsson polycounter
    Nice stuff guys!

Yupp yupp my painting aint done yet, just blocking in some colors.

Here is something I doodled today during my lunch break, will finish my environment tomorrow.

Day 134 -

fightercililsg.png
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Caspar wrote: »
    Just playing around with colours. Don't really know where to find good ref pics of nude ladies without feeling like a perv :P

006lr.jpg

Ask a lady friend.
  • aiconx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    day 17
    Thanks TF! That paint over was really helpful! I took your advice and put some colour on the shaman guy today
    Looking good NA, the spectators relly give focus to the ship
    Like that suit erik! It really looks like she can move in it, especially the upper body
    tumblr_m4zm3q7nrT1qhql5fo1_1280.jpg
    Very quick one for my left hand today, to keep it going
    tumblr_m4zm3q7nrT1qhql5fo2_500.jpg
  • Twoflower
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aiconx: looks better! Glad to help :)

Erik: Really cool design, like those wierd pegs she has instead of feets. will propably be kinda awkward to move around on those but it looks like it would be possible with that suit ^^

Aleon: Thanks! Really like the color you have going on the rocks. How do you get the colors to blend that smoothly?

day 65 snow environment
    WbHvY.jpg
  • Aleon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aleon polycounter lvl 8
    @Erik: Woah, that picture rocks! Love the colors, and the design in general. Looking at some pictures from when you started the thread, you made huge progress tbh. You should be damn proud :D

@TwoFlower: Nice atmosphere in the background. | Nothing special really about the colors. I just establish the base colors using large brushes, and "on screen blending" (which means I apply a few basic colors which I like and mix them on the canvas). Then for the details I sample the colors from the base with the eyedropper tool, and work with that. If you are working in PS, when you are using a brush you can hold down the "Alt" key to switch to the eyedropper tool quickly so you can work without interruptions.

Day 7 - Not feeling so motivated recently... Working on the details anyway.
    38379422.png
  • ErikNilsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErikNilsson polycounter
    Not feeling so motivated recently... Working on the details anyway.

yupp agree with you there Aleon, this pic has been a bit of a drag to finish for me. Not happy with it but whatever, its time to let it go :)

Nice light and colors there! the rock looks really nice.

And thanks btw! Im pretty happy with some of my more recent pics.

Twoflower: Thanks man! Cool environment, there might be a bit to much detail in the background though.

Day 135-

alienplanet.png

also did a qucik 30 min concept for a friend.

deaththrowconcept.png
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided to give the alien planet a try, a quick concept might will continue and add detail and lightening tomorow. Nice work everyone. Day 16
    planetconcept01.jpg
  • Twoflower
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Going away to Croatia tomorrow with my family on a vacation so wont be able to post stuff for a while :/
    But ill bring with me a sketchbook and do some sketches instead ^^

day 66
    8TH1i.jpg
  • Aleon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aleon polycounter lvl 8
    @Twoflower: Nice! The colors are great and the background looks really nice. On the other hand you should observe the rocks a bit more. Some of those formations in the foreground look quite unnatural.

Day 8 - Had to take a break from the deserts... I always loved painting ice and snow. This was just painted up in about a hour or so, needs a lot more work.
    41726933.png
    (Here's the reference sheet I made for the piece.)

I'm quite happy with my recent environment paintings, but I feel like they need some kind of point of intrest. As of right now everything I paint feels kind of boring...
  • ErikNilsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErikNilsson polycounter
    S_ource: Nice start!

Twoflower: Nice colors and distance there!

Aleon: Cool cool, It feels a bit flat though, maybe you wanna give the mountains and the reflections a slight curve. Also some more siluettes in the backgroundd would be nice :)
  • aiconx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Day 18
    Looks good guys!
    Maybe a ship or a tower, Aleon?

tumblr_m523bjYflD1qhql5fo1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_m523bjYflD1qhql5fo2_1280.jpg
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A little more rendered out version, Nice enviornments Aleon and TF. Im curios about what you will pic as next challangs topic Erik. :) Day 17
    planetconcept2.jpg
  • ErikNilsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErikNilsson polycounter
    Oh Do I have a nice suprise for you all tomorrow!?!

Oh yes I do :D

Hehe I already have two really cool topics worked out for tomorrow and next week so stay tuned! ^^

Nice progress there S_ource, cool perspective!

liking those chars Aiconx!

Here is my Day 136, just practicing, need to work more on perspective and interior.

practiceyl.png
  • kinekun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did a quickie after checking some links in this thread. Think I can get to like speedpainting =)

drone_and_egg_by_kinekun-d52ai87.jpg
  • ErikNilsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErikNilsson polycounter
    Speedpainting is da shit ^^

CHALLENGE OF THE WEEK!

This week the challenge is to paint an AI concept.

It can be a droid, Adroid, drone, robot or another typ of AI. Think R2-D2, The Geth from Mass Effect, the androids from Blade runner or another similar robot/Syntethic/AI.

The important think is that its not a Mech (a Vehicle) or a Cyborg (part human) but a self aware artificial intelligence.

Also you need to start from a siluette thumbnail (would be cool to see it in a corner of the finished concept), and the finished style should be aimed towards a more painterly or realistic look (not very tooney)

Also it up to you whether it should be a combat, service or maybe a companion robot. Now go and enjoy yourself! Do some awesome robots!

Here are a vid from Sinix that might give some inspiration, and sure these are all mechs but as you all know, mechs and robots look very much alike so I bet that it still might be useful to someone :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPjwkvtm3Wk&feature=plcp"]Design Lab [2 leg mech] - 1/2 - YouTube[/ame]