Home General Discussion

DAY Z : Mod for ARMA II (Zombie Apocalypse Survivalist FPS/RPG)

Replies

• Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Er... Rocket really needs coding help, evidently. Not more art muddying the water.

You're right, but remember this is an art forum with a terrible track record of getting any mods started ( remember all the fuss and hopes for Skyrim :P ), so don't worry, no one will be getting anything done soon.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    You're right, but remember this is an art forum with a terrible track record of getting any mods started ( remember all the fuss and hopes for Skyrim :P ), so don't worry, no one will be getting anything done soon.

collaborating on a mod doesn't work but just making cool stuff does - see the TF2 polycount pack.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    lol...

I'll model the Chernobyl Amusement park...I love that place.:)
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    If people use a measuring standard/ratio for buildings, doorways, corridors and assets, then everyone can make cool things and possibly bring those together for a mod. Don't want too many fire hydrants or damaged pillars though, it could get a bit samey.
  • slipgatecentral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipgatecentral polycounter lvl 13
    Oh kindergarden and schools pleaase. With hordes of little zombies.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    One thing to bear in mind, is that the ArmA engine is not great with closed in/tight areas. The collision models/detection is not so hot. You can see that by trying to walk sideways through a door with a pistol drawn. There's no animation or function that pulls your hand in so you can pass - you simply strafe while standing still in the doorway. Stupid.

So if we're building things to go on a new island, keep that in mind. Very tight places = no bueno.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Someone wrote a code though to fix that collision detection ( or lack of issue). I'm sure it will get fixed. I understand that the editor can't properly read light inside a building though. The walls appear to have no thickness. Kind of reminds me of some of the things that Hammer requires to make a sealed tight space.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Hey guys, if you plan buying Arma 2: Combined Operations for this mod, you can buy it in Amazon.com 15$/12€. It's not the steam version but who cares... no DRM it's always better.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Well this is bullshit. It keeps spawning me with -3,500 Humanity so I'm always a fucking bandit. Everyone just shoots me on sight now...
  • DanConroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DanConroy polycounter lvl 18
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    Well this is bullshit. It keeps spawning me with -3,500 Humanity so I'm always a fucking bandit. Everyone just shoots me on sight now...

Have you tried making a new profile from the main menu mate?

I think that might reset you to a new character(I think).
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I died of dehydration. What a sad way to go.

Stumbling through the brush, the world gone blurry and pulsing to the beat of my weakening heart. Passing out and clawing back to my feet. Finding a small shack on a nameless stretch of beach. Managed to close the doors before I pass out again. This time I can't regain my feet. After several failed attempts to stand I lay down and accept my fate.

I had killed 9 zombies, and 1 confused survivor. I had been starving and he had the smell of beans about him.

I was a walking weapons cache, loaded down with myriad guns and ammo to last the worst zed rush. In the end, none of it helped me.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    Sectaurs wrote: »
    I died of dehydration. What a sad way to go.

Stumbling through the brush, the world gone blurry and pulsing to the beat of my weakening heart. Passing out and clawing back to my feet. Finding a small shack on a nameless stretch of beach. Managed to close the doors before I pass out again. This time I can't regain my feet. After several failed attempts to stand I lay down and accept my fate.

I had killed 9 zombies, and 1 confused survivor. I had been starving and he had the smell of beans about him.

I was a walking weapons cache, loaded down with myriad guns and ammo to last the worst zed rush. In the end, none of it helped me.

yup who woulda thought that in the end picking up a can of coke woulda been more benifiet than that machine gun. i always try an keep 2 canteens on me and when i use one down i head straight for the first pond on the map, warning tho, some are not deep enough to refill in :(
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Would be interesting if the world would have changing weather seasons, would think that snow would change the gameplay a lot and affect zombies and survivors as well.

*Walking though the snow towards the silhouette of a man. Getting closer I could see he was frozen solid. It was until I was almost within an arm length, when the head turned with a cracking sound, and a low moan could be heard. The zombie was no danger, but it told me that I need to find shelter...but that usually meant zombies...Gonna be a cold winter*
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    McGreed wrote: »
    Would be interesting if the world would have changing weather seasons, would think that snow would change the gameplay a lot and affect zombies and survivors as well.

*Walking though the snow towards the silhouette of a man. Getting closer I could see he was frozen solid. It was until I was almost within an arm length, when the head turned with a cracking sound, and a low moan could be heard. The zombie was no danger, but it told me that I need to find shelter...but that usually meant zombies...Gonna be a cold winter*

I was thinking this the other day Snow Would OWN!!!
    But then we would either need coats or find coats then your A**ed out if you can't find any and die from freezing to death.

Hmm is this the plans for that new temperature icon I see, probably.
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam, if you're still in contact with the mod leader and he needs more art assets in the future, I still have the rights to about 85% of the models from my "Chernobyl Exclusion Zone" project that I'd be happy to donate: http://davelee3d.com/projecthighlight.html (excluding the vegetation which was done by another artist)
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made it into Cherno for the first time. Found a Winchester, food and ammo...even a map. I'm holed up in a room...the ambient noises of doors closing and gunshots really freak me out.
  • Tom Pritchard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right, just bought ArmA 2 CO. Just got to wait for the 15-odd-GB download to finish, then it's survivin' time.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    OK. just died horribly.

Survived about 20hrs gametime, had a bunch of awesome stuff, being very cautious and trusting no one.

Approaching a simple deer stand carefully checking for the 3 Zeds that are usually there. No zeds??...ok.. carry on ....carefully.... BAM!!! server lagg kicks in and 2 zeds spawn on top of me. "You Are Dead!...

Also today. Went shopping in TK Maxx and all I could do was look at things and think, "Oh, that would come in handy" and shopping for all weather clothing, heavy boots and sharp gardening tools that I could grab when the apoc comes.
  • evilblah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    evilblah polycounter lvl 18
    Just thought I would throw this out there for those still waiting. Amazon has the digital download for $15 right now.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Meridian4-40365ned-Operations-ArmA2-Combined/dp/B003UV8RRE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337368832&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: ArmA2: Combined Operations [Download]: Video Games[/ame]

Cheers!
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Too bad it's a US offer :<
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Played a couple hours today. This game is brutal and the zombies are absolutely lethal. Got mauled by zeds more than once, fell down a mountain trying to escape a zombie conga line, and bled out on a dirt road in the god-forsaken back country with my newly found shotgun.

This game is really something. Also, if anyone finds a shotgun on a NW dirt road on FR2 - it's mine and I'd like it back.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Sectaurs, wait... You died of Dehydration on the beach? Just dang refill your canteen in the ocean!

@Walrus, the zombies aren't even really a threat to me anymore. If you're careful enough you can avoid them 99% of the time. One of the friends I play with though has a knack for being an idiot and attracting hordes of zombies every time we're in a town. I'm either going to stop traveling with him when he doesn't follow/listen to me or just log out whenever he attracts a horde from now on.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Habboi wrote: »
    Too bad it's a US offer :<

Can we (outside the UK) not still buy it from there as it's a digital download?
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Low crawling is your friend.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still trying to resist buying Arma2, the Amazon sale is not helping...

Saw this and thought of DayZ: Packing for a real life apocalypse.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The passing out system is pretty terrible right now... It's alright but still really annoying when you pass out every few minutes from having low blood. After getting a bad injury though it can last like 10 minutes and you can't use the menu to respawn or quit while you're in that state...
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope you can't, I don't know how realistic they want to be with that, I'd like to at least call for help or get killed by a bandit to make It all go faster.

Also logging off when in that state by forcing the game to close will just re spawn you back in that state. I got shot by a survivor and all I was doing was collecting items that spawn he was in the corner and all I did when I noticed him was back up, pop 1 shot seemed to do me in...

So on my next journey I was at one of the army bases and I pop a survivor full of gear, I did warn him to leave first but he came back and I shot him in the eye.
    I am not playing anymore with not dieing but I am also not a bandit. :)
    Seems you can't win either way so everyone has to pay, I only had one instance were 1 person was actually decent and didn't pop me, It was such a relieve.
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    So it' official now, no more bandit skins in the next patch:

"Bandit/Survivor Morphing to be removed
    As the title said, the Bandit/Survivor morphing will be removed. You will find skins around the world, that you can wear if you choose. Humanity will be retained for an undisclosed purpose.

Because humanity is the feature DayZ deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll remove bandit transitions, because its not helping. Because its not a good feature. Humanity remains as a silent guardian, watchful protector. An ... unfinished feature.

Please abuse/fanboy below so I can feast on your delicious tears..."

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3693

Well... twas nice playing nice for that short time.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    What happens when you buy the game, do you get a download link and a cd key? Two friends and I are trying to get it (we're in the UK) but we're not sure how it works with amazon. I've got a friend in the US I can give the money to to grab it for us, just need to be sure it can then be passed to us.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    A game is supposed to be fun, have a 'middle ground' on which people can enjoy, this is the reason why in many MMO's, people who PK alot usually get a nice red name and if they attack someone, killing them back voids the PK variable on you.

I understand this game is in Alpha, but the entire 'we deserve this, not we need' metaphor really makes me wonder why the author is avoiding any direct projections and instead trying to play coy in the mechanics. Just say that the current mechanics are too stressing for the game engine and that they will create a new one later down the line.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    So it' official now, no more bandit skins in the next patch

Yep, complete bullshit. If I play now, I'm killing every single person I see. Everyone. No questions asked, no chances taken. Stone cold murderer from now on.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I'm pretty surprised at the big stink you guys have towards the lack of bandit skins. Even when they were on the server, you couldn't trust people who weren't dressed as such. Just because they hadn't killed anyone yet didn't mean they wouldn't before.

And what about a bandit with incredible humanity points? Then what? You see the skin and immediately associate them as a bad untrustworthy person simply because they've killed in the past.

That system, the bandit skins, was so broken it was surprising they were in for as long as they are.

He's coming up with something based around humanity, but simply dressing one person a certain way due to the fact they've killed another isn't the easiest way of showing who's trustworthy/who's not trust worthy. IMO, just like everything else in this game, that is for you to decide.

Once proximity voice chat comes around and works properly, we're going to have to figure out - by communicating - who's trustworthy and who is not.

Anyway, I'm glad its out. It was broken and did nothing but segregate between 'trust worthy' and 'not trust worthy' when there was far too many circumstances behind why that person may have been in bandits clothing.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree completely with Adam. As I've said before, I killed one person who was hostile towards me and I became a bandit permanently... From then on everyone shot me on sight and no one would ask if I was friendly anymore even if I was. It's completely broken.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Yep, complete bullshit. If I play now, I'm killing every single person I see. Everyone. No questions asked, no chances taken. Stone cold murderer from now on.

I thought that was the core standard and #1 survivor rule even before that patch :P

The problem was always this: to actually survive an encounter with another ill-willing player you'd have to kill him before he kills you, and that single kill would mean you'd become a bandit.

It just wasn't an accurate thing.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    You will find skins around the world, that you can wear if you choose.

as long as I can be this guy, I'll be happy:
    armanapa.jpg
  • DeadlyFreeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeadlyFreeze polycounter lvl 17
    Gentlemen, it has begun...

B9pLT.jpg

PC isle for dayz, accepting all dick tank models.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    That is cool. I like how it has a sinister look to it rather than just the classic round face :D
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am beginning to think that a survivor could just live in one of the cities and venture out for supplies....
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    I was about to say that I would be living in my submarine, but then the thought of being trapped in a tincan when people might turn into zombies, didn't sound so great. Now an oil rig, that might be better, high metal pillars, not much chance of them climbing up there, and if you get some visiting, lure them to the edge and push them over.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Been playing lots of "woodland warrior". Basically running about in the woods plundering deer stands and barns. Here's a few tips, some are common knowledge some just things i've observed. hope it helps.

1. Avoid contact with anyone.
    2. Stay well away from the larger towns, castles and airfields (Bandit country)
    3. Never give away your position in chat.
    4. Avoid firing your weapon at all costs. Don't shoot at zombies unless they are chasing you.
    4. Learn how to wander amongst zombies. Learn how close you can get to them before them notice you. Crouched and walking you can stand about 25ft away. Study where each zombie in the vicinity is headed. Its easy to find yourself completely surrounded if you aren't careful.
    5. Study the map and look for areas that are good plundering ground. I find the West side of the map has more deer stands and barns closer together.
    6. There are 3 deer stands very close to each other at Bor and there's also a house at the top of the village that is easily accessible. (WARNING: other players know this so there could be other players in the area)
    7. All deer stands spawn 3 zombies. Which usually walk away from the deer stands when they spawn. So accessing the stands is pretty simple. Just make sure you know where each zombie is before approaching. Also, if the stand has No zombies around it, either they are dead and someone could be in or around the stand. If server is lagging zombies wont spawn straight away so dont get too close till they spawn.
    8. You can climb ladders half way and see whats in the stand. items on the left can be seen through a gap in the wood frame. Dont climb to top of ladders unless you absolutely know there's good stuff in there. Ladders are the biggest killer in the game. Keep pressing forward when climbing up and NEVER climb ladders with a pistol (Bug)
    9. If zombies spot you. Monkey zombies and crawling aren't quick. Lure them away from other zombies before killing them so they aren't alerted. Walking zombies are fast and unpredictable as soon as your detected run into the nearest buildings. If your stranded take them down asap, dont let them get close.
    10. Weapons, Winchester is the best weapon. Lots of ammo and an all rounder. The Makrov is terrible, get rid of it for any other pistol ASAP. If you get a Winchester and plenty ammo you should never need to use the pistol anyway. Fill pistol clip slots with bandages.
    11. Never try and swap Backpacks with another. Drop your current pack then pick up the new one. Then get you stuff from the old pack.
    12. Be careful swapping things between pack and normal inventory if. If pack is full you can lose items (Bug)
    13. Study the map and look for water pumps. Much safer than entering a pond. if you need to enter a pond to fill water drop your pack on solid ground before going in and collect it afterwards.
    14. Spread items across both your pack and normal inv. Don't store all your morphine and painkillers in your back pack. Use your pack for ammo, soda and tinned food mostly. Stuff you want miss too much if you lose your pack due to bugs.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice compiled list.

I would add one more thing to it.

For those servers that show low zombie counts (like the one that just said it had 11), use those to get to places unmolested.

Yea you wont find loot either and the only thing you have to worry about are bandits.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Craft4D wrote: »
    Pretty sure I have beaten the 4.5 hour avg life span though.

Four and a half hour average? The average life right now is 28 minutes.
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    Finally got a chance to try this out a bit. Spent my first life running in a panic across the southern coastline before accidentally sneaking up on a bandit.

We killed each other. :(
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    I think it`s broken atm and doesn`t show hours only minutes.
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    After numerous fits and starts (spent about 4 hours, multiple lives and a number of tedious server hops) trying to link up with a friend, we finally managed to meet and move north in search loot and opportunities for heroism. On this attempt we managed to navigate north without compass and raid an airfield. Moving tactically at night along tree lines and using light discipline can be very challengine, so is boxing around zombies and towns while searching for loot. The game changes so much during darkness, as some of the desirable items become less useful: chemlights, flares and torches become invaluable tools and without them you're sure to run into trouble.

After quite a sucessful evening, we were both eventually killed searching for a deer hide in a wooded area by a Bandit with NVG. One of the biggest frights we had was walking through a valley with a flare, we had to use the flare because we ran out of chem-lights, this is very dangerous due to the large illumination radius, I spotted a chemlight in the middle of the road, we immediately extinguished our lights and prepared to fight. After a few moments we broke right, boxed around and found the track further down. Did someone see our flare and drop their light and escape? Were they using it to bait us into an ambush? Or had someone recently passed through and discarded it? We will never know, but it was an very tense moment for something so seemingly trivial.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Next time throw the flare ahead of where you are heading instead of holding it your hand...not that a bandit with NVG's would care....he would just wait.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes you can....but I think you have to extinguish it first other wise you throw out a second flare if I'm not mistaken.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    oh. Just want to add another important rule to my "woodland warrior" list above.

15. Join only Hardcore of Veteran servers. This means that no one will be able to see your name pop up if their crosshair passes you. The point is you don't want to be found and you don't want to interact.

personally I think the game should be at HC or Vet setting as standard. Real life doesn't have magic crosshiars that know who people are.

Btw, you can usually find me on US hardcore 1 or 2 servers.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay screw it let's see what happens, I'm in server US#1GI afaik. that's the name.

I want to share my loots with PolyCount so come find me in a barn the location is something with a K in the name kome or kam something, sry that's the best I got.

14 cans of food, 11 drinks, 8 wienchester rounds, 6 mags for lee ein, 13 bandages and some misc stuff.

Names HitZ - Friendly, don't point weapon, take what you can carry, we can team up or you can take and go.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Heads up. 1.5.8 is out. Some neat changes, should be interesting. Doesnt mention Bandit skins though.

http://cdn.armafiles.info/

Changelog:
    * [NEW] Server cleanup system replaced with a more agressive one
    * [NEW] Inventory Interaction system (right-click on items in gear screen to bring up interactions)
    * [NEW] Temperature System now implemented (effects are limited)
    * [NEW] Chance of catching an infection the lower your temperature
    * [NEW] Chance of catching an infection from already infected players
    * [NEW] Water can be filled in ponds, all water pumps, wells, but not the sea
    * [NEW] Forced disconnection saving for abort and alt+F4
    * [NEW] Zombie's will investigate player deaths
    * [NEW] Adrenaline rush from panicing causes greately increased hunger for a while
    * [NEW] Bandaging Sound when bandaging yourself/someone
    * [NEW] Coughing sound when you have an infection
    * [NEW] Camera Shake when temperature drops extremely low
    * [NEW] PROTIP: Use Global Chat/VOIP in populated areas
    * [NEW] Fire requires wood to keep burning
    * [NEW] Various Loot spawn balancing changes
    * [FIXED] Should not be pellets for the Winny
    * [FIXED] Whinny is way to powerful and quiet (mmmm your tears will be delicious)
    * [FIXED] Helicopter loot despawning too fast
    * [FIXED?] Too many zombies for the Carebears to be able to play
    * [FIXED] Fog is way too thick
    * [FIXED] Climbing a ladder with a pistol will cause you to fall
    * [FIXED] Zombies not attracted to Flares and Chemlights
    * [FIXED] Panic noises going apeshit all the time
    * [FIXED] Zombie spotted alert far too quiet (increased slightly)