Home General Discussion

DAY Z : Mod for ARMA II (Zombie Apocalypse Survivalist FPS/RPG)

Replies

• Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Ahhhh you guys who shoot bandits on sight are the kind of people who make bandits into monsters! I play bandit exclusively and I still link up with and help out survivors regularly. Tips from my first steps into Dayz:

ALWAYS call 'friendly' over chat if you think there might be other players where you're at. Dont identify your position or let them know why you're asking. IE, 'survivor who just threw a flare near a barn in a coastal city, identify yourself, friendly?' If they ARE friendly, get them to come into somewhere that YOU can see before you expose yourself. If they refuse, they're either skittish or intending to murder you. I usually work out terms for us to go our separate ways without encountering eachother if my contact refuses to go out into the open. If they insist YOU come out first, and won't agree to terms or agree to just leave you alone, they can be safely shot on sight.

this has a lot of positive effects.

#1- It doesnt give away YOUR location, so if they aren't friendly
    #2- It lets them know they're being watched, if they're a threat they might just flee.
    #3- It saves a lot of nasty friendly fire incidents like the barn skirmish described above.
    #4- If they flat out refuse to answer you, they're dangerous, either through idiocy or ill intentions.

I usually say something like "declare friendly and come out in 10 seconds or I'm going to consider you hostile" and it works. Those who don't comply usually come out guns blazing, and get a rifle round in the face.

Anybody sensible who knows they're being watched, and that they're being given instructions by a player who has not yet decided to kill them, will declare friendly and comply.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i found out that people who say friendly when you ask.. sometimes are not friendly.

new patch, a lot more zombies, and a panic meter, not sure how it works. i respawned on the coast as if i had died but i still had my aks an some other stuff, found a barn the kind that usualy has a couple of zoms, and it was just surrounded with them, crazy, fought my way thru them into it, crap for loot! when i was inside i heard shooting on the other side (i think, the direction of the sound in this game is terrible) i hid in the corner on the second floor just waiting for whoever to stick his head up, my pulse racing, but he didnt come in, zoms die, one after anougher up the stars, i kept fending them off waiting any seconf for the other fellow to come in an try an kill me. he never came, i'm just asuming the sound of rapid fire aks scared him away.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you guys should grab this, afaik its not considered a cheat or anything, just a couple client-side scripts that chill movement out a little indoors and around corners.
    STMovement - Collision & evasive fixes for ArmA2 - YouTube

i tried this but first server i tried to join said something about signiture being missing or something like that
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Heads up. I think theres an update. Go download 1.5.7

and all the other files here.

http://cdn.armafiles.info/
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    My buddy and I want to start repairing vehicles! Is they're anything special in the islands? Building a boat sounds like Pain in the ass. But it would be sweet to have an island fortress! Call it Fire Island
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    I managed to learn about the respawn feature and started again. I'm now trying to get away from Cherno, but I'm stuck on in an empty construction building surrounded by zombies...I ate a food (by mistake) threw a flare (by mistake) and climbed a ladder without falling. Making progress if I manage to get a klick or two away without dying.

*2 hours later I made it to Nadezhdina. Not many zombies here, but I still have only the Mak, so I need to gear up and find some food, since I ate my second can of beans by mistake again...lol. Anyway, still not sure how to work the controls, but all this belly crawling is making me feel like i am in the service again. Since I have been sticking to the heavy wooded areas for the time being i havent seen many people, but i hear shots. It certainly is eerie, but it cold use higher population servers, or maybe I should just try to find a decent group, solo is not that great of an experience.

*Half hour later, logged back on. Now it's pitch black. I'm in the woods next to this town, can't see anything, decided to make a run for it...blindly. Ran into the wall of a building, got attacked by two Zeds that i aggroed, ran off in a random direction while being chased.

Zombies seem to have a harder time keeping up in darkness, but still hear fine. Tried to drop to the ground, they found me.

Jumped up and took off again. Everytime I stopped to try to get my bearings, they were on top of me.

In the end I used my muzzle flash to see where they were. Killed one, eaten by other. Respawned.

*logged onto a different server a bit later. 0 Zombies on server. Found a dead survivor, looted for some .45 acp ammo (no weapon) bandages and food. Since it was daylight, I ran as far as I dared toward Electro. Logged out.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    arma2 is number 2 on steam now.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    haha, number one now. this must still seem like a dream for BIS.
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    Some people are playing so dirty in this, one guy, a bandit had convinced some other survivor to team up with him, the pair of them attacked me after the bandit guy exclaimed that I had shot at it him! I logged out there as I had a whole bunch of good equipment, and was lying on the floor of the deer stand, bleeding, with broken legs. Bitches, if I could get my hands on them.

We need a PC clan of friendlies. =[
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Over the weekend I ran into a two man team of a survivor and a bandit. The survivor runs 50 yards ahead and says he is friendly. While you are distracted the bandit shoots you with the sniper rifle.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Tonight experience in DayZ:

Spent 1.5hrs (literally) trying to get on a server.
    Got on a french server but it was middle of the night. Couldn't see shit.
    Found a daytime server 30mins later.
    Played for 20mins got attack by zombie. Got the shakes but no painkillers.
    Attacked again 5mins later by horde. Killed them all but legs broken, no ammo left and in the middle of nowhere.
    Took my own life....
    Love this game!
  • slipgatecentral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipgatecentral polycounter lvl 13
    Game seems more likely to kill in some random way if i'm carrying valuable items and actually care alot, trying not to get killed. I've lost so many assault rifles and other shit, without even firing them once. Fuck.

And when I'm spawning on the shore, recklessly running around like a fool and having fun with PK, I end up fully packed with gear and shit.
  • slipgatecentral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

#1- It doesnt give away YOUR location, so if they aren't friendly
    #2- It lets them know they're being watched, if they're a threat they might just flee.
    #3- It saves a lot of nasty friendly fire incidents like the barn skirmish described above.
    #4- If they flat out refuse to answer you, they're dangerous, either through idiocy or ill intentions.

too much trouble.

#1 - spot a man
    #2 - shoot man repeatedly until man dies
    #3 - get man's beans
    #4 - repeat
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    not sure about new patch, seems went from 2 few zoms to waaay too many, you never get enough ammo back going into a town to make it worth the trip, i found a barn out in the middle of nowhere with over 20 zombies,, a barn, had 2 can of soup and one clip, took almost 30 bullets to clear them out. friend and i were talking about maybe if they slow the zombies down, but make it where you have to head shot to get a kill, dont sloww them down too much but just where they are not nuts.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Anyone know where I can download the latest version? Just bought Arma II to play this but when I joined a server it said my version was outdated and the official site has been down for like 3 days.

EDIT: Went to the site and it works finally.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Since the 1.5.7 patch I have only been able to connect to a server once - my first time trying post patch.

Now I am stuck on either Loading..., Waiting for Server to Respond..., or 'Creating Character info'

Grr. Thoughts? I know servers are being hit hard and such, so I am wondering how long you've waited to get on or if there's a known problem connecting now.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Fomori wrote: »
    Someone else mentioned in this thread they were having problems with their power supply with this game. Anyone else getting this?

That was me, It seems using AMD Cross Fire is the problem for me anyway, if I don't enable It I am perfectly fine for hours... that's a problem.

So I need to forward this information to AMD right? If others haven't already or is It my crappy APEVIA 800 WATT PSU? that should be changed?

Haven't got to play spent a lot of time with family this weekend.

And Oh shit Arnold was playing lulz! I bet he put hype into others to purchase, must have been fun to game with a celeb/major.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Don't forget, you can throw empty cans and bottles to lure out zombies. I do it all the time, often never having to fire a single shot in a town. There are the occasional quite zombies that lurk behind doors, but more often than not I don't have any issues.

I prefer playing at night much more though - makes it harder on the bandits.
  • slipgatecentral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't forget, you can throw empty cans and bottles to lure out zombies. I do it all the time, often never having to fire a single shot in a town. There are the occasional quite zombies that lurk behind doors, but more often than not I don't have any issues.

I prefer playing at night much more though - makes it harder on the bandits.

Yeah , figthing zeds with makarov is like, a last resort
    Many people dont realise it yet but its not hard to find a shotgun without having to kill anything. Just remember, always crouchwalk near towns, use sound distraction and flares
    Chemlights do not reveal your position from a distance they are very dim
  • Esprite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Esprite polycounter lvl 9
    I got crept up by a zed on the ground trying to sneak into a town for water... shot it with my AKM in panic...alerted every zombie in the town. I used all up all my ammo for the AKM killing them all, 5 mags of AKM ammo and 1 mag of 1911 ammo.
    After surviving being rushed by all those zombies and being surrounded by the bodies all I can think is "holy shit." My screen is shaking from lack of pain killers.

Took me down to 9000 blood or so. After it all I got 4-5 cans of coke, and 2 cans of food. No water source to refill canteens though.

Switched to a m1014 I had in my backpack, 16 slug rounds..Moved on.

The new zombie count has me really scoping out towns much longer now, looking for exactly what I'm intending to go for before going for it.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First impressions after playing for a few hours "with" a few friends.

It's pretty fucking hard to find your friends. Even if we looked it up online it could have taken half an hour just to travel to where the others were. We never even found each other because one of us would keep dying on the way and respawn in a new unknown spot. Hopefully they add in a feature to spawn next to your friend as a lot of people have been asking for it.

The inventory system is pretty terrible. From what I understand there's like 3 different sections to place stuff and it's not very clear how to switch items between them. I had a lot of ammo in my backpack but I couldn't get it to my weapon.

Ladders. How do they work. I know you press enter but 95% of the time on short ladders (Like on cranes) you just fall off once you get to the top without being able to move forward.

If the movement controls were tightened and maybe the aiming was a bit less military simulation like I think I would enjoy this a lot more. Right now it's annoying just having to move around most of the time though.
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I played for 4hrs just living in the woods and watching people die from each other or zombies to only later have me go in and steal their shit and head back to my tree house in the woods. It finally ended bad for me one recon mission for food off like 4 dead bodies 2 bandits 2 survivors. Some guy ran up and thought I killed all of them and opened fire I ran and him and his buddies cornered me and finally ended my fun.

Until next time!
  • aivanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    Just a heads up guys, the cheapest way I've found to get Day Z is by installing Arma II Free from Bohemia's site and buying Arrowhead only instead.

If you're okay with non-Steam stores, Green Man Gaming is the cheapest digital download for Operation Arrowhead I've found at 14.94 USD.

Didn't read through the entire thread, so sorry if it's been suggested.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Meh, you're a bandit.

Nah you can see im not a bandit, (I would have gloves on) I killed 2 bandits and 1 survivor who ran into our group without saying anything. And my friend changed due to defending himself. He is a survivor now tough, you get back humanity after a while. :)
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fucking zombies need to be a bit slower than you and stop fucking chasing you after a while... It's not fun to run out of ammo and have one or two chase you and after you run through a forest for fucking 20 minutes you have to just disconnect and join a new server where the zombies won't be right on your ass.

Also I've been on the same character for a few hours and haven't run into any new weapons. I haven't even been able to find ammo to use in my pistol over the last 2 hours. Is there some landmark or something that always has a weapon upgrade?
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    Don't forget, you can throw empty cans and bottles to lure out zombies.

Didn't know that, damn.

@Adam, yeah the patch seems to have made it much harder for some of us to get in. I tried consistently yesterday, only wait 4 minutes tops at the `Waiting for Server to respond', and the forest debug screen does not eventually load to a game.

I think the zombie numbers are great now, but really they need their hearing radius toned right down, had to run like a chicken and log out last night after rousing the entirety of Soznovka, from one small shooting on the outskirts of town. And seems a bit silly that they just do not give up.

Zipfinator, maybe the spawns have bugged on that server. You can find the winchester shotgun just about anywhere, always in one of the stores, so far as I've found it's the best weapon, (tho I've not found many according to that wiki) it has a surprisingly low report and ammo is everywhere.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ladders : You shouldn't fall if you take the pistol out of your hand / or switch to flare.

Zombie speed : I have no problem with the speed, but I definitely think they should give up the chase after a while. Zig-zagging through and over obstacles seems to buy some distance. and running up and down hills also does this, but they will keep coming.

Flares at night : Great for lighting up an area where there are Zed's but they weren't attracted to them as far a I could see.

Try to remember that this game is an Alpha release, not a Beta. It has bugs and glitches and stuff, but that's expected of an alpha. Just think how great this game will be when Rocket and his team take all the data from the player's and get it implemented. I even offered the dev team my services (though I haven't heard back yet)

Storytime 1 : Ran through a little coastal town aggro-ed a zombie. Ran for it, picked up another, then another, then another.,...yet get the picture. I knew I was not going to live through it so i turned around to kill a few at least...there were many more than i had bullets.

Lesson learned : don't run through towns.

Storytime 2 : *Sniper in the Tower.

I had just respawned and moved along the beach. I came across a survivor body. No big deal, looted what was there. Ran a short distance more and found another. It had to be a bandit because there were no zombies in this area. Took stock of the area and saw a lighthouse..yea I thought, shot came from there.....am I now in his crosshairs?

Well I wasn't killed in the next moment, so I proceeded to make my way to the lighthouse using whatever brush for cover I could and running in a crouch. I get close enough to the tower to see there appears to be no one at the top. So I make the last distance in a dash to get there.

Switching to flare, I climb the ladder to the top. I see there is another body. Do a quick security check to make sure no one else is there, I loot the bandit sniper and get his CZ 550 for which he had no more rounds for, but he still had his mak out. Based on his loot he was a total scrounger.

From the tower I see another survivor body on the beech. This one very close.

I go down to check it out and he also has Mak in hand. This is the hero of our story.

Lesson learned : Watch for bird nest's.
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    adam wrote: »
    Since the 1.5.7 patch I have only been able to connect to a server once - my first time trying post patch.

Now I am stuck on either Loading..., Waiting for Server to Respond..., or 'Creating Character info'

Grr. Thoughts? I know servers are being hit hard and such, so I am wondering how long you've waited to get on or if there's a known problem connecting now.

Spent an hour trying to connect today. Felt determined after the first 30 minutes. But after an hour I felt quite cheated of my time.
    $!nz wrote: »
    That was me, It seems using AMD Cross Fire is the problem for me anyway, if I don't enable It I am perfectly fine for hours... that's a problem.

So I need to forward this information to AMD right? If others haven't already or is It my crappy APEVIA 800 WATT PSU? that should be changed?

I don't use Cross Fire. Thinking it's just my crappy power supply. But it's actually been holding up the last few times I've managed to play.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i dont have much prob gettin in, if it stays on waiting for server over a minute i go to another, sometimes i'll have to try 5 or 6 but i usualy get in. now for a full finished released game i would consider this unacceptable, but for an awesome alpha mod i think its fine.

the new ammount of zombies is nuts, i guess i'll have to start making much more use of bottles and cans, goina be a tough decision.. do i get this can of food.. or empty whiskey bottle.. i wonder if you see another player in town and toss a bottle over towards them will the zombies go over an deal with them, altho i guess if the zoms agro on him an start freakin out, theres good chance you will get caught up in the crossfire
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have found to stay away from high pop servers and just go with ones that are %50 or less full. The whole notion that the master server is down, or the patch has screwed everything up is silliness. When you have a program receiving the same commands (connect / disconnect ) it slows everything down. Better to just go to lighter ones. I get in with 3-5 minutes in most cases.
  • MiAlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10

Like you said, this happens because of server overload according to the dev(s).

On saturday i waited for ~30 minutes to spawn and everytime I spawned in the bug forest (a place where your char is at before you spawn in the actual game, you spawn there because you time out from the main char database apparently *shrug*)

Tried to connect for about 2 hours, and then again 2 hours later that night. Couldn't play. Tried on Sunday, same story.

Maybe they'll rent more servers soon..
  • Ace-Angel
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    So - who would be willing to donate their time to this mod? Survivors, bandits, items, landmarks...

Talking to Rocket about ideas on how Polycount can help. This thread certainly shows me there's interest in the game but what about interest in making art for it?
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think you should just have a open contest, sort of like the one for darksiders, except instead of making free stuff for a multi million dollar compamy, you are actualy helping someoen who needs it. put up the specs for dif types of assets, and let ppl just make whatever they want, and anything he choses to take for the mod he can,
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes.. an asset list and a thread with people calling dibs..? then possibly some form of quality control?
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So - who would be willing to donate their time to this mod? Survivors, bandits, items, landmarks...

Talking to Rocket about ideas on how Polycount can help. This thread certainly shows me there's interest in the game but what about interest in making art for it?

As I had mentioned earlier, now that i'm done with my master's I sent an email to the dev team offering models, textures or art.

Hell I'd even rig and animate (though it's not my strongest area _ though I'm working on that right now with porting the 11 Second Club character model over to Max) if it was needed.

Not sure he got that email, I'm sure he gets plenty. Sent him links to other mods I had contributed to and various other links.

I'm more than up for helping this mod find it's Beta feet.
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I accidentally recorded some 1080p footage (instead of the 720p I usually use for Day Z) so I decided to put this together:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ev1jOuWE_c"]Day Z: Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse Trailer (ARMA II Mod) - YouTube[/ame]
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Rhinokey wrote: »
    i think you should just have a open contest, sort of like the one for darksiders, except instead of making free stuff for a multi million dollar compamy, you are actualy helping someoen who needs it. put up the specs for dif types of assets, and let ppl just make whatever they want, and anything he choses to take for the mod he can,

It wouldn't be a contest of any sort. It be more of production / collaboration environment where people are calling out art they'd like to make, based on a pre-defined asset list (so, essentially what you've said).

Just to clarify - if I am ever thinking of contest ideas, I'll say so. In this case, we'd be collaborating as a community and generating art for the Day Z mod. Effectively making us - the community - the Day Z mod art team.

This is all pie in the sky, I am just gauging interest. This sort of idea might not line up with their intentions or goals so consider it an empty suggestion until I've said otherwise.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    From the videos I've been watching it seems more enterable buildings would be useful.

Don't think I'd personally have time to contribute art for awhile yet :/
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    It wouldn't be a contest of any sort. It be more of production / collaboration environment where people are calling out art they'd like to make, based on a pre-defined asset list (so, essentially what you've said).

Just to clarify - if I am ever thinking of contest ideas, I'll say so. In this case, we'd be collaborating as a community and generating art for the Day Z mod. Effectively making us - the community - the Day Z mod art team.

This is all pie in the sky, I am just gauging interest. This sort of idea might not line up with their intentions or goals so consider it an empty suggestion until I've said otherwise.

I would like a slice of that pie.

I died... how do I respawn? :[
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond wrote: »
    I would like a slice of that pie.

I died... how do I respawn? :[

thru a complex series of pressing aborts then disconnects, then an ok or continues, i cant remember off hand, besides remembering it not being clear
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To Respawn:

Esc>Respawn>Abort

Then when you log into a server choose an empty survivor slot.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    @Adam, I'm definitely willing to spare some time for the mod. I'd love to work on some weapon or env art (buildings, etc)
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Tonights experience.

Took a good few hours again to find a server that a) loaded, b) didnt crash out, c) was in daylight, d) loaded... e) wasn't the debug forest

Once I got in though I had a good few hours and its still worth the shit I go through trying to find a server. Seems like the servers are a little better actually now that some people have gone to play D3. I'm EU but I think the US servers seem to load up quicker.

They've doubled the zombie count which is nasty!. Every little house and barn is swarming with zeds. So its really hard to get in and out without attracting attention. But when you pull it off and get some good stuff its an awesome rush.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    If we make art we should ask what he needs/wants the most. I vote Jet Skii
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Depending on what he needs art wise I could be interested. Not sure that I would have the time, but I am interested!
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If a list came to be, and was broken down into small enough parts (barrel1, 2, 3), I'm pretty sure a lot of stuff would accumulate quickly. Characters are a different story obviously, and for weapons I guess the ArmA stuff will suffice really. Seems more variety in zombies would be the priority task?
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    US hardcore 1 was a fast log on for me tonight/ Found my first deer stand. just ammo. Found a barn, was able to get in and out...more ammo and soda. Have made my way to the outskirts of Zelenogorsk...that town is Big!

* Respawning : If you dont like where you respawned just respawn again, you might get to a better place.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally fucking found my friend but the server was glitched and wasn't spawning any loot or zombies. We decided to join a new server since we were near eachother but I accidentally hit Respawn instead of Abort. It instantly kills me and when I rejoin I'm spawned in a new spot half way across the map. Way too fucking hard to play with your friends right now.