Home General Discussion

Diablo 3

Replies

• RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    Not that I wish to turn this into a Guest Pass begging thread but if anyone has one spare it'd be most appreciated, I'm still on the fence as to whether to buy this or not as I missed the beta.

EDIT: Pass recieved, many thanks GO POLYCOUNT! BattleTag: Ghuntard#2819
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Impulse bought it tonight, wasn't planning to as I'm super excited about it and I've got sooo many games to finish first and I know I'll just get tempted to play it... which is exactly what I'm going to do!

Would love some B.Net buddies:

TeeJay#2646

(EU)
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Torch#2303 here, EU - if you wanna add :)
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Polygoblin wrote: »
    I heard Kotaku say something about how this skill tree doesn't allow you to "customize" your characters abilities saying that most high-level characters seem to end up with the same abilities. I was worried about this, but as I've been playing through, I'm having a tough time deciding WHERE I want to expand my tree. Somehow, I've got a feeling that my decisions will NOT be similar to everyone else's.

It appears I didn't exactly understand how the system worked yet. Looks like, since your'e not limited to where you spend your "points", that every character at the same level has access to all the same skills and runes. Oh well...
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    oh yeah, I'm YSG#1903 on the North America servers
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    slipsius wrote: »
    And a bit of rubber banding.

are they actually hosting the games on their servers? kinda feels like it at times.

I have to say now that the severs have cooled a bit and im past act 1 im starting to enjoy it more.

those rocks at the start of act 2!!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    are they actually hosting the games on their servers? kinda feels like it at times.

Yes, to prevent hacking.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah apparently the A.I. is server side. Very smart.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    My friends and I just finished normal mode... WOW its insane. We kinda skipped over some things, but we are going to take the next difficulty slower. It took us around 13 hours.
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Just a little tip:

You can turn on "Elective Mode" which allows you to choose more than one skill from a group. Instead of only being able to pick 1 from each group.
  • Shaffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r wrote: »

I have to say now that the severs have cooled a bit and im past act 1 im starting to enjoy it more.

those rocks at the start of act 2!!

Those rocks are money, I didn't really start enjoying it until act 2 as well. Sick of just playing with one other person.

Shaffer#1931
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    no! slip 37 into everything!
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Forgot to add this is my Battlenet: aajohnny#1658

Feel free to add me.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Been playing quite a bit, my first run though on Normal I had an absolute blast with. The varied environments and hand painted style was my favorite part of the game so far. I'm currently in nightmare difficulty in the final act about to take on diablo. Unfortunately, I don't know if i'll be playing this game a month, or even a week from now . The game's only been out a short time, but there seems to be an obvious lack of depth...

Skills:
    Couldn't imagine having a different skill setup as i'm tuned to be able to survive just long enough to kill every wave of enemies i encounter with my solo barbarian. Ignore Pain + increased duration seems to be the bread and butter skill for higher difficulty, combined with revenge for life steal. The other damage dealing skills you probably have more leeway with but chances are you're going whirlwind, frenzy, and that skill that turns you into a badass for 15 seconds.

Items:
    I'm not making decisions with my items. There is a big fat number that says DPS on every weapon i pick up and all the modifiers in the world they throw on it are meaningless compared to that one number. It's oversimplified. Skills have also been tuned to more or less put out the same damage regardless of weapon speed. I may lose 25% damage here because it's slow, but this skill right here does 25% more for the same reason. In the end it's all meaningless. If more items had interesting modifiers, gloves with higher attack speed, more items with +damage type stats, it would allow for more decision making in item builds but i've found no such items so far.

You do 2 things in diablo:
    1. Kill mobs of enemies with the same skilll combination over and over again.

2. Look at magical and rare items that have a high primary stat and vitality.

In diablo 2 it was a big deal finding life tap, mana tap, your first health regen on a belt. Loot came in phases, first you relied on gemmed items progressing from that to self found uniques, then you went from regen to lifetap. You found a weapon with +150% attack speed in nightmare that changed EVERYTHING. You socketed a shield with diamonds and got poor man's magic resistance. You found some weird green chest piece that gave +70% run speed. Etc. etc. The progression wasn't a linear curve with no spikess, it was a roller coaster ride and you didn't know what to expect.

Diablo 3 is overbalanced, there aren't cool tricks to getting gold (remember how you always picked up wands even if they were white?), no cool ways of easy magic resist (no socketing shields for crazy cheap resists), and most importantly weapons are just boring, "Wow this weapon does 20% more than my last one!" compared to "Holy fuck i just found this orange item and i'm doing 5x more damage and every swing refills my entire health globe!". It doesn't feels to be balanced organically. In diablo 2, it felt like they threw in tons of shit and just went, "Ok, lets find a way to balance all this crap" and because of this the game was unpredictable and interesting." In Diablo 3 it feels like then went, "Ok barbs can get X% regen from this type of heal, and X% from this one and this will give them an overall Y regen compaired to other classes." and it was balanced like this from act 1 all the way to hell.

I'll just come out and say it, it feels like the real money auction house has killed a lot of the joy that could have been found in this title. In assigning potential monetary value to items, the system had to be made predictable and safe, stale.

Anyway, just my personal opinion and maybe I've just been unlucky with loot, but in terms of item runs, as someone who played the original and sequel, the past 2 days playing diablo 3 has been the worst item farming I've ever done in the series. After finishing the first 2 difficulties I don't have a single item I'm excited about using on a new character to "twink" , I think that's a pretty major failure. Great cut scenes though.

Sorry to rain on the parade, this game is great for anyone new to the series and the first run through makes the price of admission worth it. It's just a bit of a let down for anyone expecting an item grind like the days of old. It's tuned for profit, not the optimal fun of the item grinder.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    @crazyfingers after reading what you are looking for for item hunting reminds me a lot of what Borderlands had with their weapon generation, really if Borderlands had more item slots it would be diablo 2 with guns, I'd like to see that honestly.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Been playing here and there. Having a blast... Joined a few friends games... Good times!!!
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I think there should be a sticky or a thread with all the battle.net id tags of the polycounters :)
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    finally installed it. It looks really neat. But it's effectively a single player MMO for the most part :/
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Blaizer wrote: »
    I think there should be a sticky or a thread with all the battle.net id tags of the polycounters :)

THIS!
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    Diablo 3 Polycounters List (<--- click it)

Okay I made a google docs spreadsheet and briefly scrolled through the last few pages to add you all, everyone can edit it without logging in (and check if I made any typos/missed anyone out)

It's cleaner than having another sticky that'll clutter the forums and far easier to manage.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats a good one. But i can't edit the doc right now. I should be on the america side.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fixed, also fixed the editing problem
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Great idea Yozora. Do I have to sign in to edit it?

Anyhoo. My copies just arrived so here's me.

stinger88#2509

EDIT: added to list. I'll also add the link to the list to the first post in this thread.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Also just a heads up, Torch added me but I didnt see his invite till I hopped on the EU servers. (on NA) Waiting on the servers to go back up!
  • tupwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great move with the spreadsheet. Love how googledocs allows you to multi edit that!
    Got to level 22 last night, feeling the trap close around me so gotta introduce some sort of parental control system to my account.
    Had a brilliant moment yesterday as I tried to complete Act 2 with a stranger after Blizz issued their 15 minute 'server maintenance' warning at 2:45am.
    We stepped up our game, moved quick, had some insanely fortunate survivability as we pulled multiple mob packs together. Finally got back to the center point with all the runes/globes we needed and thought we'd made it. Cutscene animation started and when it ended I got the disconnection notice. Interested to see if I have to repeat that chapter again tonight or not but found the whole thing, including the well timed DC to be very enjoyable.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    I have to agree with crazyfingers about the items so far. The progression is very linear and modifiers other than +vit or +str (for bar) aren't worth that much. The life leach is tiny and useless, and rares aren't only marginally better than just crafting something. I've only found one unique so far, but too late for it to be useful (although it appears quite good for it's level). I'm curious what higher levels will bring though, as inferno gear and craftables will hopefully be more varied.

Also barb is first to be nerfed, for sure. He's a big meaty rapist. Just ground stomp enemies towards you and then earthquake them. It's almost unfair how powerful that combo is, although it has a 2 minute cd.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    That google doc is awesome. I don't know how to do this, or I would, but could someone put in a column for each for preferred class? Or main class or whatever? So everyone knows each others mains? If you`re lookin for a group, it might be easier if you`re lookin for a specific class, especially later in inferno.

Im a witch doctor :)
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Im curious about the items. Are you guys on nightmare yet? 70% of items dont show up till nightmare. prefixes, and types and what not.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That google doc is awesome. I don't know how to do this, or I would, but could someone put in a column for each for preferred class? Or main class or whatever? So everyone knows each others mains? If you`re lookin for a group, it might be easier if you`re lookin for a specific class, especially later in inferno.

Okay, added that to the spreadsheet (and difficulty) :)
    But these will change quite often I imagine, and there'll be people who like playing multiple classes - but yea, if everyone bothered to update themselves on the list then it'll be cool :)

Was going to add level too, but... that one really does change very often. You can add your level next to your class if you really want.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    thanks Yozora. Ya, people will change, and have alts, but everyone always has a main. Just a good little add on. Change it when you change yours. :)

For anyone that things the game is too cartoony or bland... I think blizzard is making fun of you with the new "cow level"

spoilers ensue
    http://www.cinemablend.com/games/How-Get-Diablo-3-Cow-Level-42599.html
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Good going Yozora, thanks for that! Just out of curiosity has anyone tried to view the models/textures in the game? *Looks around shiftily* Don't know if its ok to extract these for viewing, but thought I'd ask anyway...
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's my character. In dark places it seems like I glow in the dark lol.

1f6ym.jpg
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Haha awesome name XD
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I'm hearing a lot of complaints about the "normal" difficulty being easy to the point of being kind of dull. Are you folks finding that this is the case? Coupled with what Slipsius mentioned about most of the gear not showing up until the second play through this seems like somewhat ill considered design.
  • chrismaddox3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrismaddox3d polycounter lvl 17
    Added my self to the polycount list
    reload98#1694 is my battle.net id
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackablade wrote: »
    I'm hearing a lot of complaints about the "normal" difficulty being easy to the point of being kind of dull. Are you folks finding that this is the case? Coupled with what Slipsius mentioned about most of the gear not showing up until the second play through this seems like somewhat ill considered design.

Well after act 1 it gets harder (at least playing with friends) the more people you are playing with the harder it is. I haven't beaten it solo yet, so in a way maybe it is really easy that way. I haven't had a problem with loot in normal. Later on you get some nice stuff, but its not a good as what we have gotten in nightmare yet (act 2 so far)
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Me and my friend were playing, me DH and him Barb, we got to nightmare and everything got even easier than normal... bah hope we get some challenge soon. Im really liking the game though, man that loot is still addicting! :)
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    alexk wrote: »
    Just a little tip:

You can turn on "Elective Mode" which allows you to choose more than one skill from a group. Instead of only being able to pick 1 from each group.

Haha what? thats insane... I gotta try this now!
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Jackablade wrote: »

Oh god yes. I'm not even trying to min-max or buy all the best gear from the AH, but I have yet to find a single situation where I don't just rip though all the enemies on screen in seconds. Bosses are a joke. The gear is boring as hell too, I cannot wait for the next difficulty mode.

I think its dumb that Blizz didn't just make the second difficulty level just unlock from the get go.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    D2 was the same way guys. You start with normal, you move on to nightmare. And normal was just as easy.

Wait till the harder difficulties. There's a reason there is a "hard" difficulty. Don't expect it to be hard before it.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I died 3 time for the last night, at the end of act one, didn't die at all until lvl 15. The act 1 boss got me twice :(

I wish the game had built in voice chat, its a lot quicker to share what items you found that your party may need
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    D2 was the same way guys. You start with normal, you move on to nightmare. And normal was just as easy.

Wait till the harder difficulties. There's a reason there is a "hard" difficulty. Don't expect it to be hard before it.

you say that... but we both know there are many, MANY games out there where normal is code for "tard mode", and hard/nightmare are the real normal/hard modes.

why do you think metal gear solid had:
    easy (unlocked if you failed at normal)
    normal
    hard
    extreme
    european extreme (only available to europeans)

because only europeans know how to play games properly.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    "tard mode"

You're silly!

Anyway I'm very excited about diablo 3, but RESISTING THE URGE to buy it. I need to make art! But ahh, it sounds so good!
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Ah, but Gir, then you get into troubles with the way they set up the difficulties. They scale the mob levels in the harder difficulties. walking into lvl 20+ mobs when you`re only lvl 1. you`re fucked.

I dunno, I watched the videos that explained the difficulties. I agreed with what they did. Yes, its easy, but I still find it fun. I like the idea of building up from nothing. Plus, this way, I learn the skills as I get them. Rather than being given a bunch and having a hard ass time trying to kill stuff while I learn them.

Im fine doing all the difficulties. I kow when i hit inferno, it will all be worth it
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    lol slip.

Everyone got rushed through hell mode in like an hour by a high level friend, then did Cow Runs to get to level 80.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    I died 3 time for the last night, at the end of act one, didn't die at all until lvl 15. The act 1 boss got me twice :(

I wish the game had built in voice chat, its a lot quicker to share what items you found that your party may need

can't you just have skype running in the background in conference call to your buddies?

Also... the difficulty doesn't really bother me. I am having fun, and i am the kind of player that plays game on hard difficulty right out of the bat the first time.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Oh did anyone else have problems with solo act 1 boss, but it was way too easy with a 4 party?

I just wish they would of had the Sc2 style in game cut scenes for some things, with "hd" characters, even if it wasn't as zoomed in.

033CC47703CFE040A46834644AA4F80F35F4B9A7
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OH yea!!! someone did complain earlier in the thread that you can't scroll in to view your character closer. "Z" does the trick! or there is an option that if you open your inventory it zooms into your character.

It would deffo be nice to see some high res models of everything in a cutscene... but it doesn't really bother me yet. I am still looking fwd to those beautiful cinematics! they make up for everything else haha
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mister Sentient polycounter lvl 18
    £47 on Amazon UK and £59.99 on Play.com ;(
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    £47 on Amazon UK and £59.99 on Play.com ;(

when it hits £25-30 or so, i'll considder it.