Home General Discussion

Prometheus

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    ambershee wrote: »
    (and people wonder why people pirate films?)

because they are immature babies who want their ice-cream RIGHT NOW!!!!
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vargatom wrote: »
    Make sure the very first thing you do after reading this post is to get Alien somehow and watch it.
    Aliens is highly recommended as well; Alien 3 has been ruined by the studio, but it still has a lot of Fincher's touch.

I just rewatched the whole set after christmas when my local HMV shut down and got the complete dvd set for $14 including the irrelevant AVPs. I would recommend just watching them in order, but the first is probably going to be all you'd need for a refresher going in to Prometheus. Each movie is really it's own beast and the further you get from the original the less they will likely be related to P.

Having re-watched them though, my opinion of the films has definitely changed as I've gotten older. When I was younger I'd vote 2,4,1,3 for best, but now just in terms of still holding up as overall films and levels of awesome I'd say 1,3,2,4.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth

or maby cause they hate beeing treadet as 2nd class citizens cause they live in another country.
    also localization mostly suxx and you maby dont want to drive 100 miles cause you want to watch it in its original language half a year after it came out on dvd somewhere else.

sorry got carried away a bit here. i just hate it that i, as a movielover, am forced to pirate.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've always waited, I guess it's a generational thing I'll never understand.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    Goeddy wrote: »
    sorry got carried away a bit here. i just hate it that i, as a movielover, am forced to pirate.

It's annoying, but... forced to pirate?

Like... forced?

I need to watch Alien again!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, he's being treated like a second class citizen - Martin Luther King and Mahatma Gandhi stood up to being treated like second class citizens. This is exactly the same thing

sorry to derail, between this and saying Japanese games suck = racism, I just want to slap the whole internet in the face and tell them to get perspective.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    I can kinda relate. The other day I was kept waiting at a checkout, so I just walked out the store without paying. I'm not waiting like a second class citizen.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master

That is true, but with global communities is really silly to make people wait. You are loosing out on sales if you don't release stuff at the same time.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    It's one of the reasons why people do it - I never said I was necessarily condoning it. In some cases (and we're not talking the distant past either), it has taken Disney as much as two and a half years to take a film from US cinemas to UK cinemas. I've imported English language DVDs months before some films hit the cinema. It's 2012, not 1912 - there's no reason for this shit anymore.

By the time some films get here, they've not only been spoilered-to-fuck, marketing is ramping up for the sequels!
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Welcome to Boner-City. Population me.

Anyone else notice the Xenomorph in the U.S trailer at 1:37?

Xenomorph_USTRAILER_1min37sec.jpg
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    @Scudz your amazing lack of laziness or insanely talented googling skills are going to get a bro-five. If I ever see in for reals. I feel like such a doucher for not googling that. I honestly assumed that someone would have already posted it in this thread already(I actually read all the pages and I never do that).

Thanks anyways you rock! Going to order that now.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeffro wrote: »
    @Scudz your amazing lack of laziness or insanely talented googling skills are going to get a bro-five. If I ever see in for reals. I feel like such a doucher for not googling that. I honestly assumed that someone would have already posted it in this thread already(I actually read all the pages and I never do that).

Thanks anyways you rock! Going to order that now.

I'd probably wait until I could see a few pages myself. I've got a bunch of these books and some of them really weren't worth the price. I'm looking at you New Star Trek and Terminator Salvation...

ErichWK wrote: »
    Welcome to Boner-City. Population me.

Anyone else notice the Xenomorph in the U.S trailer at 1:37?

Xenomorph_USTRAILER_1min37sec.jpg

I thought I saw that, but buy the time all the other awesome stuff in the trailer was done with I had completely forgotten. :poly122:
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    i had to change my underwear after watching that latest trailer.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    wow I recognize the star formation!
    it called seven sisters ( 1 sister is missing) , very appropriate to the theme.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleiades
    http://www.naic.edu/~gibson/pleiades/pleiades_myth.html

also even in modern science, many signal and research has been pointed to that direction to search for extraterrestrial being

Ridley Scott you are damn awesome!
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    Well, he's being treated like a second class citizen - Martin Luther King and Mahatma Gandhi stood up to being treated like second class citizens. This is exactly the same thing

sorry to derail, between this and saying Japanese games suck = racism, I just want to slap the whole internet in the face and tell them to get perspective.

lol sorry for the exaggeration, ofcourse its not the same thing :P

but serisiously waiting half a year for a movie itself is not the problem.
    the problem is everyone else on the internet has already seen and is talking about it.
    you always know where the spoilers hide, after you found them.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master

the problem is everyone else on the internet has already seen and is talking about it.

sorry i thought we already had this discussion over in the walking dead thread... where i was basically told "if you don't want to know, either pirate the show a week early (yes it's still piracy) or don't even look at the internet for a week".
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think that's just a statue and not an actual creature.

So it can be just an homage, or it can mean that there's going to be some role for the xenomorphs in the story. I personally still think that Scott is playing with the fans at this time ;)
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I think that's just a statue and not an actual creature.

So it can be just an homage, or it can mean that there's going to be some role for the xenomorphs in the story. I personally still think that Scott is playing with the fans at this time ;)

Not direct involvement, but the ship does carry a cargo and the jockey does at some point get inpregnated as according to the noted cavity in the alien movie.

space-jockey-alien-4_1276542699.jpg

It's all about explaining the jockey and its cargo in Prometheus, the aliens themselves will most likely be unimportant as a movie-monster, but their existence and planned use might become more apparent.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    one of the theorys behind the jockeys is that they actually created the xenomorphs in order to combat the yautja (predators). looking at the latest trailers it certainly seems that something is in the process of being created, but that could just be clever editing/misdirection.

the jockeys in the comics and books always had some form of trunklike appendage, and weren't all that humanoid (apart from being bipedal), they had far more complex anatomies for example.

will certainly be interesting to see how this evolves or even retroactively changes the existing canon.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18

If you're worried about waiting for Prometheus, come to Australia. We get it a day before the of rest you suckas.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    one of the theorys behind the jockeys is that they actually created the xenomorphs in order to combat the yautja (predators). looking at the latest trailers it certainly seems that something is in the process of being created, but that could just be clever editing/misdirection.

the jockeys in the comics and books always had some form of trunklike appendage, and weren't all that humanoid (apart from being bipedal), they had far more complex anatomies for example.

will certainly be interesting to see how this evolves or even retroactively changes the existing canon.

Yeah, considering Ridley Scott had a completely different vision for the aliens :P
    None of the jockey stuff was canon though.

Looking at the trailer again there does seem to be some infesting creature of a kind, as you see something like a slimy worm entering someones spacesuit through a rip, and then the thing in the eye.

But it's not the facehugger.
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    Are the humans in this meant to be Earth humans? I also understand this is a kind of prequel right? If so then once again we have humans with wicked tech and holograms and stuff and then after that we invent small green crts.
  • Geexile
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geexile polycounter lvl 8
    yeahh amazing ! sexyyy :D
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Snacuum wrote: »
    Are the humans in this meant to be Earth humans? I also understand this is a kind of prequel right? If so then once again we have humans with wicked tech and holograms and stuff and then after that we invent small green crts.

We'll use the comparison of alien taken place on board of an aging cargo hauler and in prometheus on board a state of the art science vessel.

Regardless though, Prometheus might be more accurate on future tech than alien was :P, monochrome green crt monitors and all ;)
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Yup, I mean, look at anything "like that" we can compare it to now. That is, all these old oil rigs and stuff, anybody working waaaay out there. They don't have fancy touch screen LCD stuff like we do, they are lucky if they get the computer from Lost...

So it makes sense, in my eyes, that the cargo ship would be some old arse, piece of junk ship.

As a better understanding, Watch the comparison between Alien and Aliens. The Earth tech on the medical station at the start is light years ahead of whats shown on the Nostromo.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just saw it as the march-of-technology showing the age of Alien, personally. In 1979, shit-loads of CRTs hooked up to computers was sci-fi - for us now it's the already past. It's perhaps a little jarring if you were to deliberately try and have the films sequential, but otherwise I'd say it's unimportant; it's the setting and context of the film that counts more than the fanciness of the tech in the background.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Fuck, I hate when they reveal the entire plot points in the trailers...

There goes the mystique and mystery :(
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    it's spoiled all the stuff we already knew, people go to place where they shouldn't really go, things go to shit, space jockey and space jockey ship wooh.

But the rest is still completely unknown, we have no idea what's going to happen, or what they refer to as them.
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld wrote: »
    Looking at the trailer again there does seem to be some infesting creature of a kind, as you see something like a slimy worm entering someones spacesuit through a rip, and then the thing in the eye.

The one in the eye is tiny, the one entering the suit is at least a meter long...

I think we should throw all preconceptions away, there's going to be something very different in this movie.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    There might be a carving of the xenomorphs, but they`ve already said that they arent in the movie.

From what Ive heard, this movie ends where Alien begins. But its not a direct prequel. whatever that means.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    At the end of Prometheus they activate the distress beacon that the Nostromo picks up.
    The screen fades to black just as the front/tip of the Nostromo comes into view.
    thirty (backwards) years later the Nostromo finishes panning past the camera and the original Alien film begins
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Man that trailer looks phenomenal! cant wait
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    I just watched the trailer......frame by frame. Prometheus looks SO DAMN sexy! That ship is incredible looking!
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK wrote: »
    A quite different take in the international trailer:

Prometheus International Trailer - UK - YouTube

I prefer the more Tense foreboding US trailer myself, as the UK one just starts too much like AvP1. Though it does have sweet-ass extra footage:poly115:
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    eld wrote: »
    We'll use the comparison of alien taken place on board of an aging cargo hauler and in prometheus on board a state of the art science vessel.

Regardless though, Prometheus might be more accurate on future tech than alien was :P, monochrome green crt monitors and all ;)

Oh I know. I always point it out just for the funnys. It's also because I'm a bit of a fan of the chunky '80s sci-fi.
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    At the end of Prometheus they activate the distress beacon that the Nostromo picks up.
    The screen fades to black just as the front/tip of the Nostromo comes into view.
    thirty (backwards) years later the Nostromo finishes panning past the camera and the original Alien film begins

Would be nice, but I've heard conflicting reports. One said the very end of Prometheus ties directly into the start of Alien, then the other says The planet isn't LV426 and the Jockey ship seen asploding isn't the one on LV426.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well I was mostly making a joke about how long the pan across the ship in Alien lasts, but from watching the trailer it looks like the planet they're on becomes LV426 after the ship, which looks to be crashing, is activated. I dunno, if it's just a similar planet with a similar ship that seems kinda lame/forced and not something I'd expect from Ridley.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    The last line in that trailer is "Big things have small beginnings" and the guy has a some thing on his finger. You also see slimmer versions of the egg sacks through out the trailer. My theory is that the worms are the first evolution of the xenomorphs. Its long been known that xenomorph take on the characteristics of the host. This is possibly the first contact with humans so the xenomorph will evolve into the "aliens" we know and love. Also facehuggers evolve in the same way, being that they are shaped to best hug human faces/heads. Anyhoo. Whatever the little worms are I think they are directly related to xenomorphs and I predict we'll see a Xenomorph or facehugger at the end of the movie.
  • Stinger88
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Stinger - that's pretty much what I've assumed this to be. I'll be woefully disappointed if this is the case, because it meaans they've pretty much ruined the plot of the film in the trailers :(
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's an older interview with Ridley Scott (that fox has since taken down but there's a spoiler-filled version of it here) where he says that the Xenomorph's from Alien were just one of many different weapons stored on the ship (just after the bit about the tone of the original) so it's entirely possible the ooze and worm dudes are separate baddies they release on themselves.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I always take interviews with these kind of people with a pinch of salt. People lie and talk a lot of rubbish in interviews.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    I just saw that trailer yesterday at the movies. Man... it look sooo sweeeet! can't wait for this one!
  • Stinger88
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    SOOOO GOOD [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOOJl5lWNfM&feature=player_embedded"]Happy Birthday David (NEW Prometheus Viral!) - YouTube[/ame]
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    An army of Michael Fassbenders? I'm game.
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    this is doing it for me in all the rite ways. wow.
  • Sculptaur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So awesome. Really love all the viral stuff like this and the TED talk. Great advertising with out all the spoilers you get from trailers.
  • schneller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    schneller polygon
    These Weyland corp marketing videos remind me a lot of the investment opportunity spots for Portal 2. Just enough fiction and mystery to get the mind going.

I can't wait for this movie!
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    schneller wrote: »
    These Weyland corp marketing videos remind me a lot of the investment opportunity spots for Portal 2. Just enough fiction and mystery to get the mind going.

I can't wait for this movie!

thats what it was!
    couldnt put my finger on it, but that's exactly what's bringing out the interest here for me