Home General Discussion

Prometheus

Replies

• vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 wrote: »
    The Aliens universe shouldn't change because our technology improves or our understanding of what will be available in the future is made more clear.

I am of a completely different opinion, I believe that it is a terrible mistake to constrain art direction, especially with such an amazingly talented crew, just because our technology was so much less advanced 30 years ago. It's like putting lead shoes on a sprinter, we'd be robbing ourselves from a lot of good things because of tradition.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    ambershee wrote: »
    from what I gather there are deliberate deviations that would render it very difficult to be an actual prequel.

Oh I understand now. That sounds interesting. Looking forward to June 1st. :)
  • Tokoya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tokoya polycounter lvl 7
    According to Ridley Scott it is based in the same universe as Alien and definitely shares some "strands of DNA", but the allusions are going to be very subtle, only fans of the franchise will notice. I think the current ceo of the Weyland corp has a small role as well.

Scott has also discussed how if they make a sequel to Prometheus that it will delve even further away from the Alien story off into it's own tangent, but the ending does set the stage for Alien, but not in a superfacehuggergetslastsurvivor kind of way.

So maybe not a direct prequel, but its still linked to the same fiction and that just makes the universe even more layered and extremely interesting
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Like the hobbit and lord of the rings, and while one can argue that the both book series are intertwined, they share only the world and certain key elements that are important to the story in lord of the rings, there are much more important things than the ring in the hobbit.

And there are much more important things going on than the xenomorphs in prometheus.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    I am of a completely different opinion, I believe that it is a terrible mistake to constrain art direction,

sure, but not being constrained by old designs loses any meaning if in the end you just stick to a set of modern design cliches instead.
    I think the whole "we now have a better understanding of what future tech will be like" argument is only partially true and stuff like HD holograms floating in the air (plus "moving-hologram-elements-using-hands" cliche) gets featured in so many movies because of its coolness rather than anything else.

This coolness became very generic though.

guys like Giraud or Giger would always add some quirkiness to their sci fi designs and that's what made them feel unique. It's not like they expected future tech to look like that, it was just their style.
    And that quirky vibe is what i'd like to see used more often in sci-fi films.