Home General Discussion

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Replies

• MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Its say just don't worry about it. It honestly had to to with the context the kids were speaking to you, its not like you killed the kid because he was defenseless or anything.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Ged wrote: »
    some fun with the legion officers, I dunno about you guys but I love messing around with stuff in skyrim, jumping on tables full of food that goes everywhere and putting pots on peoples heads lol

hehe. That's why I love games like Oblivion, Skyrim, Ultima... so much freedom (to goof around)
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Calabi wrote: »
    That happened to me, I got killed by a bear. I expect its quite difficult to detect the player is in combat. They dont have modes like in other games. That would sort out alot of problems if they did. Unsheath your weapon(the controls change), your in combat mode, do not disturb player with nonsense.
    They just need to give it the same restrictions as fast travelling and crafting - if there are red dots on the radar, it doesn't happen.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    Hey, has anyone noticed that in dual wielding (even with the dual flurry perk) that swinging only one hand is just as fast as swinging both weapons if they are identical? What's the point of swinging the off-hand at all if there isn't any advantage to doing so? You could just have two weapons equipped and spam the right hand to get the faster attack. It's seems a bit pointless.

Try it. Equip two of the same weapon, alternate swinging the left and right, then compare that to just the right hand. It's the exact same speed. You would think, you'd get some kind of combo effect if you alternate swings, but it provides no benefit. The only real advantage is the faster swing and power attack compared to a one-hand or two-hand.

I was a bit disappointed by this. I was expecting to be a twirling storm of metal when swinging two blades, but it's just as devastating while not using the left hand at all.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Skamberin wrote: »
    Now I don't know what to do, my vid is approaching 30k views in the few days it's been up, I'm thinking of taking it down, rather not be part of some fox news broadcast slamming Bethesda and gamedevs or gamers.

I wouldn't worry about it, I think it would send a stronger signal if you actually removed it and pages started writing "video removed after pressure"

The Elderscrolls has been the haven of second-life players since morrowind, I'm sure there'll be some even more morbid stuff for fox to hate down on.

In terms of fox new broadcasts, they only really make companies stronger, and the last time I checked it was free advertising for both bioware and rockstar.

Here's an interesting post on the room of children in ultima 5 http://skullsinthestars.com/2009/12/04/richard-garriott-on-ultima-v/
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Well the new patch makes my game crash to desktop randomly while playing, which it didn't before. It's also a bummer to voided my 2+ gig of ram trick and various .ini stuff. Lame.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Most likely due to the missing ram trick, the ini-tweaks do some stuff that the game wasn't tuned for, but the ram-fix gives it the additional memory to do it.
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    McGreed wrote: »
    Just a warning guys, for you who modified stuff to make it more awesome:
    http://www.joystiq.com/2011/11/22/skyrim-pc-patch-arrives-adds-mandatory-steam-drm-kills-some-tw/
    :(
    Even with default settings my game now crashes a lot (about every 15min) and many shadows have become ugly teared stripes when I get closer to objects.

Not a good patch. In fact I cannot remember the last time a patch made my experience in a game that much worse. :( And I didn't even tinker with the LAA before...
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    I lost my dog (Vigilance, bought in markarth) and i have no house. I'm pretty sure he's not dead as i didn't hit him, cudn't find the body where i lost him. Is there somewhere dogs stand or is it a bug ? Or is he dead ? :[
    Hopefuly i still have my orc companion <3
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    ^Companions don't have a teleport to player feature anymore (which they did in Oblivion), so they could be lost if you travel too faraway from them (and by lost, I mean stuck in some rocks or a tree).

Try waiting a few hours or fast-travel to one of the major towns, and see if they come back.

Of course, they could also be dead, companions are pretty weak until you give them 80+ frost/fire resist and extra Health gear.

---

I didn't know the patch did any of that. Steam was grieving me to no end, so after I bought the DVD version of the game, I used a less then legal patch on the main executable and still haven't connect the game to Steam after that.

This is troublesome however. On any given day, we have about 200K players on PC, a majority of those people want to mod TES games to high-heaven and back, and I'm not even talking about the perverts like me, who are ogling tentacle mod #937, but performance/tweaking junkies.

However, I can understand why they limited certain things. The uGrid is very flimsy, if you change that between save games, your game can actually crash (which is what happened to me once). I just wish they fixed these problems rather then penalizing people. Just because a few peeps didn't bother actually reading what does what, doesn't mean I should be getting punished too.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Heh a patch that breaks things, what's new? I just hope the PS3 patch actually fixes the game. I might start a new game someday as I wasted a lot of points on useless perks.
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
  • Serp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serp polycounter lvl 17
    Man, nightingale armour looks so badass.
  • nwallen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I half hope someone makes a 'mod' which starts populating other zones.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    I'm sure someone could extract all the models from oblivion and import them in skyrim when the toolkit comes out... Kinda like the gta san andreas total conversion mod for gta IV.

I think a more important issue is this new patch... for people who don't have the fastest rig, like me, it's worst than ever... random crashes that completely exit the game... and the fog, for some reason, really eats my fps, which it didn't before, I actually looked forward to going into dungeons since the game would be much smoother for me before :(... then there's all the other things that I forgot or don't have time to mention.....

Why?
  • Paradan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol just logged in to ask if the toolkit was out yet
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    eld wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about it, I think it would send a stronger signal if you actually removed it and pages started writing "video removed after pressure"

The Elderscrolls has been the haven of second-life players since morrowind, I'm sure there'll be some even more morbid stuff for fox to hate down on.

In terms of fox new broadcasts, they only really make companies stronger, and the last time I checked it was free advertising for both bioware and rockstar.

Here's an interesting post on the room of children in ultima 5 http://skullsinthestars.com/2009/12/04/richard-garriott-on-ultima-v/
    Thanks for the answer, and a nice read that! Gotta respect Garriot for wanting to keep that in :)

As for the Patch: I too was saddened to see it render Large Adress Aware useless, my game now runs worse and crashes constantly. When I used the LAA Patch on the Exe, I could play for hours without it crashing even once, and the framerate was nice and stable.

The only reason they did this was so the TesV.exe couldn't be launched outside steam... which makes no sense, as you have too unlock it via steam anyway :/

Geezus: Tell your techies to at least make the exe LAA themselves or something with the next patch, also give them a pat on the back and possibly a loving hug, I'm still loving the crap out of this game.

Got 110 hours in before i took a short break for some days, now onto The Dark Brotherhood and the Theives guild.

Also: Anyone else randomly checking SkyrimNexus for the "fantastic" upscale+sharpen HI-RES-TEXTURE-HD mods? Always fun :P
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    I am not a fan of what the industry is doing... My friend, who doesn't have internet at the moment bought Skyrim and Battlefield only to find out that you need origin and steam to, not only play, but to install it!

Leaving a 60 dollar game useless right now... Even if he downloads steam, he would need a connection to login and start his game... kinda sucks.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Wow: http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=689

Fnar, fnar at people who change textures without even using proper masking tools to keep the shape of the original texture outline and then go about making rules on who can do what such a small mod.

C'mon Beth, bring the Kit out. I want me some healthy titties.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Rai wrote: »

You can see quite some distance in skyrim, much like in oblivion, and when they set to create the first base heightmap for skyrim I guess they just included parts of tamriel around skyrim so that the scenery would be complete for anyone who travels to the border of skyrim, and the white gold tower in cyrodil is such a gigantic landmark that they made a crude mesh for it to act as a barely visible silhouette should people see it.

Adding a heightmap in isn't more than a days work, technically, but adding the content of a full game per region is years of work for a full studio, so it doesn't change much for modders, as they could already do the relatively minor work of pulling in a heightmap into something like oblivion.

Calabi wrote: »
    Just use this new LAA patch. It works for me.

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1013

Yeah, to be fair, Bethesda has yet to implement the binary checking methods that would completely ruin any sort of .exe alterations which they have promised not to do.

And while things will probably break each patch when it comes to these modifications, the biggest pain was that it was a patch that gave nothing or fixed nothing for the owners of the game.
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    Man, had a problem with a college quest. I could see these lights moving when I was doing the right thing but I couldn't see where the light itself was pointing, just enough to notice when it was changing.

After trying to get the light to appear properly I installed this patch (http://enbdev.com/download_en.htm) and they appeared again. But then the lights wouldn't move anymore! Luckily I had a save just beforehand and managed to get both the lights appearing and the lights moving, and I completed that quest. For a second there I didn't think I would be able to complete the mage quests either (I already can't do the theives guild ones cos of a bug).

The patch is quite good though, wish I'd put it on before, I can see a lot more effects and everything seems to run faster.
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    I am not a fan of what the industry is doing... My friend, who doesn't have internet at the moment bought Skyrim and Battlefield only to find out that you need origin and steam to, not only play, but to install it!

Leaving a 60 dollar game useless right now... Even if he downloads steam, he would need a connection to login and start his game... kinda sucks.

You can play in offlinemode
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Neox wrote: »
    You can play in offlinemode

can you install in offline mode, though? i know in the case of origin, that's a nono.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    It didn't let me when I tried to install before I got the net at my new place.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    can you install in offline mode, though? i know in the case of origin, that's a nono.

You have to be online for the initial install/activation. Once the files are "activated" on that computer, you can set it to remember your credentials and play in offline mode as much as you want.
  • Mongrelman
  • Daven
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Noors wrote: »
    I lost my dog (Vigilance, bought in markarth) and i have no house.

YOU CAN GET DOGS?!?
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Mongrelman wrote: »

Oh holy shit. I got near the end of the article, while reading aloud to my girl, when she says to me "babe, you realize christwire is a satirical site, right?" Haha! Wow.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I just got skyrim so I may be really far behind, so far I'm a lvl 12 pick pocketing, conjuration and destruction mage, trying to do all the crafting and alchemy and enchanting, playing on the hardest difficulty. I did the golden claw quest before it was assigned to me, so it was kind humorous when he congratulated me for just talking to him twice.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    ZacD wrote: »
    I did the golden claw quest before it was assigned to me, so it was kind humorous when he congratulated me for just talking to him twice.

Really? That's awesome, I'm always afraid to get inside random dungeons because I fear I might break future quests, but I'm glad the game has counter-measures against that, generally it's easy to break the scripting of these games.
  • Carl Brannstrom
    I've been playing for about 1h now and I can't stand it!

Whyyyy must everything have 10000hp? A townswoman in no armor whatsoever takes like 6 hits before she dies...

If I smack a mace into someones head, they should die instantly!!

Why do RPGs always have to be based on stats and levels instead of actions?

I can't play this until there's some kind of mod that multiply all damage with 10 :(
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    lol Carl... not big on RPG's are you? You know, not everything needs to be realistic to be fun? In fact, it's usually the other way around, if you go for realistic it's never as good, from a gameplay perspective.

Also, if you wanna kill enemies with one hit only, play in easy.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    [HP] wrote: »
    Really? That's awesome, I'm always afraid to get inside random dungeons because I fear I might break future quests, but I'm glad the game has counter-measures against that, generally it's easy to break the scripting of these games.

Yeah I seems that if you keep the quest items its no big deal. It was pretty much, I just wanna explore before I go to another city, awesome looking thing in the distance, lets go, easy enough mobs, it seems like a quest thing... I'll just do it, finally go to the marker, oh you need to do this question, ha ha! I got that thing, talk again, blam it counted.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    ZacD wrote: »
    Yeah I seems that if you keep the quest items its no big deal. It was pretty much, I just wanna explore before I go to another city, awesome looking thing in the distance, lets go, easy enough mobs, it seems like a quest thing... I'll just do it, finally go to the marker, oh you need to do this question, ha ha! I got that thing, talk again, blam it counted.

I have items in my inventory I can't remove because they're quest items from quests I have yet to even start, including having multiple amulets of talos. Makes it nice and easy when I get those quests and they item they want is already in my inventory.
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xXm0RpH3usXx polycounter lvl 13
    bought it two days ago...

yeah, i had some similar issues like the dragon claw :P
    i did that one and naturally found the stone i needed for the mage in dragonsreach^^

almost same was with the jester's broken wheel...
    i first talked to the farmer, then to the jester and he was like "eh, we are old buddies" and i was like "who the fuck are you?"^^

but nice nonetheless...

a few bugs here and there, had some normal maps showing (like putting them into the diffuse) and one of the bandits in the fort near that tower we you met your first dragon is vanished, so i wont get a c"cleared" for that >.<

towards the damage thing... i dunno, i think its okay, i can get a bandit down with 3 - 4 hits with a level 12 warrior...
  • Carl Brannstrom
    [HP] wrote: »
    lol Carl... not big on RPG's are you? You know, not everything needs to be realistic to be fun? In fact, it's usually the other way around, if you go for realistic it's never as good, from a gameplay perspective.

Also, if you wanna kill enemies with one hit only, play in easy.

Of course, you have to balance realism and non-realism to make a good game! I don't want to play a simulator after all ;)

I like RPGs but I really hate how they are done. Stats and levels were fine for 8-bit rpgs in the 80's but the technology has advanced a lot nowadays so why do games still use this system?

A classic example is like this:

One-handed falchion - 22dmg
    One-handed short sword - 10dmg

They are basically the same item except they differ visually. And they do diffirent damage? Why?
    I can't accept that!

I can't use a heavy shield because my strengh is 32 but when I have 33 in stg, I can use it and fling it around like it was made of cardboard...

These kind of things make me flipping tables :p

Experience points = restriction points!

I'll try it on easy and see if it's better!
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    it sure is easy to point out flaws of the system, but do you actually have any better alternative to stats, levels, xp and so on?
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Of course, you have to balance realism and non-realism to make a good game! I don't want to play a simulator after all ;)

I like RPGs but I really hate how they are done. Stats and levels were fine for 8-bit rpgs in the 80's but the technology has advanced a lot nowadays so why do games still use this system?

A classic example is like this:

They are basically the same item except they differ visually. And they do diffirent damage? Why?
    I can't accept that!

I can't use a heavy shield because my strengh is 32 but when I have 33 in stg, I can use it and fling it around like it was made of cardboard...

These kind of things make me flipping tables :p

Experience points = restriction points!

I'll try it on easy and see if it's better!

Go play dark souls or dwarf fortress and quit bitching about an rpg system that has been around since the nes era (at least) and makes a game enjoyable to play.

Also, if you want to 1 hit kill enemies, then they should do the same and that isn't a very fun game.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    What? like making the challenge part of the game, not arbitrary numbers that run behind the scenes?

That and the idea of learning by doing in Dungeon siege and obviously skyrim is a good way to get around the problem of being forced into a role.

Its a preference thing though surely, however i'd say player satisfaction would be better if it was them personally overcoming trials rather than getting stronger by default as you level. Its one of the reasons why I love games like quake, as theres so much depth to player ability rather than constricting things to numbers. (i dont mean quake1/2, as yes i realise the way getting better weapons impacts the feeling of power etc as you get into the game, but thats not quite what im getting at).

I think it'd be nice if the sword in skyrim were a physical object (similar to how it is in dark souls) - as is it might as well be a 1 range gun interms of how it interacts with the world and players.

(Didn't Severance have a great fighting system?)
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Jackwhat wrote: »
    What? like making the challenge part of the game, not arbitrary numbers that run behind the scenes?

That and the idea of learning by doing in Dungeon siege and obviously skyrim is a good way to get around the problem of being forced into a role.

Its a preference thing though surely, however i'd say player satisfaction would be better if it was them personally overcoming trials rather than getting stronger by default as you level. Its one of the reasons why I love games like quake, as theres so much depth to player ability rather than constricting things to numbers. (i dont mean quake1/2, as yes i realise the way getting better weapons impacts the feeling of power etc as you get into the game, but thats not quite what im getting at).

I think it'd be nice if the sword in skyrim were a physical object (similar to how it is in dark souls) - as is it might as well be a 1 range gun interms of how it interacts with the world and players.

(Didn't Severance have a great fighting system?)

I was having the exact same argument with some Skyrim players at work - all these games r just a bunch of psuedo-skillz boosters, u'r not actually good at anything. Anyone can be supergood as long as they crunch enuf numbers. Quake&Co., however, actually demand skill.

I wonder what can be brought into one from the other...
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    So bethesda removes nearly every kind of number and stats from the elderscrolls in skyrim,
    then proceeds to get complaints that there are too many numbers and stats in the game.

We've gone from:

37 skills in daggerfall to 18 in skyrim.
    8 attributes to 0 in skyrim.
    roughly 25 equipment slots to 8 in skyrim.

Even with this I love skyrim, but please, let us keep having elderscrolls as an rpg series, as it always has been and always should be, do not be a part of the masses that bought into elderscrolls wishing it was something else than an rpg.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    it would be kind of fun to have an rpg(not skyrim/TES but maybe a new brand) where you have to actually swing the sword to attack on different parts of the body to get different effects.

In case anyone is having trouble with quest npcs like delphine going crazy on them and trying to kill them like I did, just go and find out what crimes you have commited in a town and pay the fine/jailtime so that she calms down! she is a total nutter when u have commited even a little accidental crime like a stray fireball setting fire to an npc etc.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Carl, almost nothing you've described is applicable to Skyrim. You can wield any armor/weapon/shield as soon as you get it. The only difference in damage for the most part is typically the quality (material) of the weapon. Which makes sense, an iron sword probably wouldn't hurt as much as a razor sharp blade infused with the soul of a demon (such as in daedric weapons).

Most average townsfolk do go down with 2 or 3 hits of a solid mace, from personal experience (on default difficulty). At mid levels they can definitely go down in one. Then again, maybe we should turn it around and go realistic. In which case there would be no game, because your character would never realistically be able to take on an army of bandits in their lair alone.

I'd say maybe FPS games are more your thing, but then you've got the whole "Lol I have 10 hp and have been shot 4 times in the legs, TIME TO BUNNYHOP FROM HERE TO NEXT TUESDAY!" ...so don't know what to tell you.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    eld wrote: »
    So bethesda removes nearly every kind of number and stats from the elderscrolls in skyrim,
    then proceeds to get complaints that there are too many numbers and stats in the game.

We've gone from:

37 skills in daggerfall to 18 in skyrim.
    8 attributes to 0 in skyrim.
    roughly 25 equipment slots to 8 in skyrim.

Even with this I love skyrim, but please, let us keep having elderscrolls as an rpg series, as it always has been and always should be, do not be a part of the masses that bought into elderscrolls wishing it was something else than an rpg.

No, they didn't remove every kind of number from Skyrim. Weapon damage, armor rating, health/stamina/magicka, enchanting, and skills are still all part of the numbers meta game. You can't purge numbers from a game entirely though.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18

Pedantic nerd hat on - A falchion is your medieval equivelant of a machete. It's a heavy, one sided blade designed for lopping off limbs. It's unlikely to be much use in an actual sword fight, but if you managed to wallop someone with it, it would potentially do more damage than the short sword.

Regardless, any game where you mine for ebony is probably not one that's going to stand up to much analysis of it's realism.