Home General Discussion

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Replies

• Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    Makkon wrote: »
    Sorry Ace, I found that to be rather tasteless.

Here's something just plain epic instead.

Skyrim Meets Metal - YouTube

i've hated literally everything that guy has done. he might as well call it "shitting on good music"
  • TheWinterLord
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15

The only thing that is missing from that, is that the trees moves a bit, sure the leaves moves and such, but there should be a little motion to the whole tree sometimes. Then it would be perfect.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Ryswick wrote: »
    Ugh, don't remind me.

You literally have to 'sneak' around said triggers. Apparently, your companions follow your path when you sneak, so hugging corners is the only solution for companions.

That, or TLC in command.
  • MaVCArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaVCArt polycounter lvl 8
    yZulN.jpg

posted by the lovely felicia day on facebook
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Rick_D wrote: »
    i've hated literally everything that guy has done. he might as well call it "shitting on good music"

Dang man, do you ever have anything positive to say? :|

TheWinterLord: That was absolutely gorgeous, really good display of how impressive the weather effects are in the game. Beautiful montage.
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    Ace-Angel wrote: »

Last couple seconds of the video are hilarious. :)

I do think this needs to stop though. Don't get me wrong, I think people should have the freedom to do what they want, but this just seems like something that will get used against the games industry very soon...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz_kMo1Saq8&feature=related"]Skyrim Killing Children - YouTube[/ame]

I watched this video and now I honestly believe its just a matter of time before one of those crazy politicians pop up and take another whack at this dead horse...

People should use their freedom with moderation, this will only cause harm...

Still, hilarious in a twisted way.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    WAIT

HOW DO YOU GIVE FOLLOWERS NEW ARMOR
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Like any Bethesda game, just ask to look in their inventory and remove their armour and put yours in.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You trade with them, and better armor = wear.

Although there is a bug with Arrows and Bows.

And I have to kinda agree on the child killing fad going on. While I do understand giving a good dagger to the kids in Whiterun, why the hell the kids in the Orphanage. There was even a quest for the Orphanage which made you sympathetic towards their issue of an evil care person.

Bloody hell, give people and inch, and they will run a mile in it, sometimes without even a reason other then to get hits on YouTube.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I wonder if it would be a bigger or smaller deal if killing kids was enabled by default.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    JFletcher wrote: »

I do think this needs to stop though. Don't get me wrong, I think people should have the freedom to do what they want, but this just seems like something that will get used against the games industry very soon...

You mean like, sex, killing, and drugs in games?

Children-killing in games is not a new thing, it's been in there for quite some time, it's just recently that they've become unkillable.

For me the killing of children in games is important for the fact that games should not be censored, in any way, and children being made unkillable in skyrim is alone due to censoring issues.

Animals often have a much harder time at the hand of humans than luckily children ever will even though, yet it's fully acceptable to kill them in game and any other game(and don't get me wrong, I like to fus ro dah bears of mountains as much as children) but the thing is, like with all things in games, it is fiction.

I know many developers would rather self-censor themselves than meet the issue, but we're talking a media that should be no different from books.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    I wonder if it would be a bigger or smaller deal if killing kids was enabled by default.

for gamers? definitely smaller. forbidden fruit tastes 10x better, and people want what they can't have.

i mean come on, in Fallout 1 and 2 you could literally send childrens' guts flying. but most people didn't care about them enough to kill them. they were just normal npc's like everyone else and common sense suggested that they would die if you attacked them. that's why it wasn't as exciting or satisfying as killing the the great monster named Annoying Immortal Brat.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just realized something.

There is talk, already, of a sex-mod.
    You can also Mod to play as a Kid.
    Almost every gamer wants to put their digital phallus in Lydia.
    A good number of people are into Shota/Loli.
    ???

I swear, I'm going to punch a baby seal with a polar bears head, and wash my body from Alaskan oil with their fur, just for thinking of that...
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    Shota/Loli

I'm feeling very proud that I had to look this up to know what you were talking about.

...I also wish I hadn't.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Welcome to the internet?
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    @ Eld

I agree with your points, just to be clear I'm not in favour of censoring these things at all.

Just think people shouldn't fuel fire unnecessarily.

It's isolated to PC and with a mod so people can *choose* to do it, which is great, the way most things should be in fact.. If people want something, they can seek it out, no restrictions.

Just worried about this becoming too viral is all.

Sorry if I wasn't clear the first time. :)
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen wrote: »
    I'm feeling very proud that I had to look this up to know what you were talking about.

...I also wish I hadn't.
    Ah yes, the mythical internet virgin, a very rare creature which circulates on the internet..., oh well, innocence lost, knowledge acquired, forbidden fruit eaten, yadda yadda yadda, so yeah be proud of it.

Also, while at it, may I suggest Bukkake, it's a white type of cake pasting?
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
  • LRoy
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    I appear to be in a pickle. After completing the Thieves' Guild quest Loud and Clear, they don't seem to give me the next one 'Dampened Spirits', and Maven doesn't have any dialogue that helps with that. I even loaded a previous save and got back up to where I was, but still nothing =/
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heh, gotta love console commands, but this truly shows dragons aren't anywhere near scripted.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DFzX53WbMU"]Skyrim - What is this I don't even... - YouTube[/ame]
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    frell.. it wasn't ever a question, they've said dragons were unscripted since they announced them. and that video is AWESOME.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    The only real thing that bothers me about the elder scrolls series is the tendency that guilds have to make you their highest rank after running a few simple errands. My friend got into the Circle of the companions by walking to the weapon store and punching a guy, and I accidentally became Archmage without having a single magical skill over 30. It's a personal issue, mostly, just that I find it a bit silly, though I understand that they want players to be able to do anything. I just try to stop myself from joining guilds/factions that don't make sense for my character.
  • VPrime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    Normally not a fan of these kind of games.. Ended up getting it to see what the fuss is about..... Loving it so far! Was surprised how much I liked it.
    Though I have a question. I find the dragon words in caves and dungeons, but I cant use them even after killing dragons? Do I need to do something else?
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    VPrime wrote: »
    Normally not a fan of these kind of games.. Ended up getting it to see what the fuss is about..... Loving it so far! Was surprised how much I liked it.
    Though I have a question. I find the dragon words in caves and dungeons, but I cant use them even after killing dragons? Do I need to do something else?

Go to your magic menu, select a Shout and press R to spend a Dragon Soul on the shout to unlock it.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    HonkyPunch wrote: »
    The only real thing that bothers me about the elder scrolls series is the tendency that guilds have to make you their highest rank after running a few simple errands. My friend got into the Circle of the companions by walking to the weapon store and punching a guy, and I accidentally became Archmage without having a single magical skill over 30. It's a personal issue, mostly, just that I find it a bit silly, though I understand that they want players to be able to do anything. I just try to stop myself from joining guilds/factions that don't make sense for my character.

at least it's better than in Oblivion. After you became guild master of everything, why would you, the most powerful person in Cyrodiil, even bother with finding a new Emperor who might replace you?
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    @ Eld

Sorry if I wasn't clear the first time. :)

I can see what you mean. When modding is possible, as it always mostly on pc releases even without an sdk or editor, you will be seeing some weird shit.
    Much like the hot coffee mod, and that was without any editor or sdk, it was just a simple unlock of some previously locked content.

FOX news will be on gaming and modding whatever we do, so there's really no point in trying to avoid it, I'd rather embrace the freedom even if it means we'll be seeing penis-equipped dragons in the future.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I appear to be in a pickle. After completing the Thieves' Guild quest Loud and Clear, they don't seem to give me the next one 'Dampened Spirits', and Maven doesn't have any dialogue that helps with that. I even loaded a previous save and got back up to where I was, but still nothing =/

I've not done this before myself but I know you can do the same thing you could in Oblivion with using the console to manually set quest progress, as seen in the notes at the bottom of this page:

http://uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Dampened_Spirits

So, if you're on the PC version, perhaps try going into the console and entering something like "setstage TG03 0" or maybe try 10 instead of 0. Obviously save before you try that.

Other than that, make sure you go into your journal and make sure that the previous quest is completed (greyed out and in the bottom half). Otherwise some part of it may have been done "out of order" or something of that nature. I've had a couple quests like that, that were rendered permanently incomplete because I completed certain objectives in them just by being halfway intelligent when I was supposed to talk to somebody who'd tell me to do what I'd already figured to do, or something of the sort.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Kwramm wrote: »
    at least it's better than in Oblivion. After you became guild master of everything, why would you, the most powerful person in Cyrodiil, even bother with finding a new Emperor who might replace you?

It is better than Oblivion in that respect. I remember becoming the leader of every guild/faction/bookstore in oblivion and then just being like..
    What the hell.
    I am the most famous person in Cyrodill. This is dumb.
    And then I quit playing forever.
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12

Skyrim Killing Children - YouTube

I watched this video and now I honestly believe its just a matter of time before one of those crazy politicians pop up and take another whack at this dead horse...

People should use their freedom with moderation, this will only cause harm...

Still, hilarious in a twisted way.

Ok, I totally understand where you are coming from, but there's a few things that justify this in terms of a moral standpoint (as long as the media of whatever country you inhabit doesn't pull the usual over-reacting shit which we should all ignore anyway).

1. the fact that you CAN do this is what makes this game a GOTY for people. not the fact that you can kill children, but the fact that the game doesn't have any limitations for you; if you want to try something, then the game doesn't suddenly change all it;s rules and tell you "no, it was ok to kill all those rabbit and fox babies, but you can't kill these human children, that's not right!"

2. there is no reward for doing this. there's no loot, there's nothing in the game that pushes you towards killing children, and once you commit such an act, the entire city is after you, and you die.

those two things alone pretty much justify having that feature in the game. i understand it's tough that kids die, they didn't get much of a chance, but where do we draw the line? over in afghanistan and iraq we're killing kids right now, in africa children as young as 5 are killing each other with ak's sold to them by the chinese and russians.
    the world is a fucked up place and games should be able to reflect that instead of imposing arbitrary rules in a free-roaming open world game where the whole point is to choose what you want to do.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    It isn't in the game though, you have to mod the game for it.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    twice this happened!...

I was just starting to do battle with a dragon up near Azura's shrine. And this random dude suddenly starts talking to me. Saying something like "You aint seen me... right!..." So i'm stuck in the conversation windows. I quickly say something just to get rid of the windows. The guy vanishes and I continue battle. But i'm losing it. Then another random dude appears and i'm in another conversation..."did you see a random dude run passed here?"..I'm like "bugger off, cant you see im busy"... I quicky reply and skip anything he has to say...... I die.....

reload just before dragon battl and commence battle again. Same friggin dude appears and it all happens again but I eventually kill the dragon this time.

Really?!... Small story events like this should not happen when your in the heat of battle. Especially if you are forced into a conversation window.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Stinger88 wrote: »
    twice this happened!...

I was just starting to do battle with a dragon up near Azura's shrine. And this random dude suddenly starts talking to me. Saying something like "You aint seen me... right!..." So i'm stuck in the conversation windows. I quickly say something just to get rid of the windows. The guy vanishes and I continue battle. But i'm losing it. Then another random dude appears and i'm in another conversation..."did you see a random dude run passed here?"..I'm like "bugger off, cant you see im busy"... I quicky reply and skip anything he has to say...... I die.....

reload just before dragon battl and commence battle again. Same friggin dude appears and it all happens again but I eventually kill the dragon this time.

Really?!... Small story events like this should not happen when your in the heat of battle. Especially if you are forced into a conversation window.

That happened to me, I got killed by a bear. I expect its quite difficult to detect the player is in combat. They dont have modes like in other games. That would sort out alot of problems if they did. Unsheath your weapon(the controls change), your in combat mode, do not disturb player with nonsense.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Calabi wrote: »
    That happened to me I got killed by at bear. I expect its quite difficult to be able to detect the player is in combat. They dont have modes like in other games. That would sort out alot of problems if they did. Unsheath your weapon(the controls change), your in combat mode, do not disturb player with nonsense.

They do have though, it is the thing that prevents you from using certain things, like mining an ore vein when there's enemies near or sleep.

But I think they tried to prevent situations like this, I've even been in dialogues where the guy I was talking with suddenly just exited the dialogue and started shouting about dragons during an imminent dragon-attack.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    eld wrote: »
    They do have though, it is the thing that prevents you from using certain things, like mining an ore vein when there's enemies near or sleep.

But I think they tried to prevent situations like this, I've even been in dialogues where the guy I was talking with suddenly just exited the dialogue and started shouting about dragons during an imminent dragon-attack.

Yeah but that isnt a combat mode. Perhaps they should use that as the flag then, enemies nearby dont instigate dialogues with the player, but then it might be hard to get any opportunities.

Generally they shouldnt just force control away from the player like that at all. By all means have an npc come up to the player and say something. They do have that quite often where npcs say things without you having to instigate convos. Just have the npcs wait there for you to instigate the rest of the conversation.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Calabi wrote: »
    Yeah but that isnt a combat mode. Perhaps they should use that as the flag then, enemies nearby dont instigate dialogues with the player, but then it might be hard to get any opportunities.

Generally they shouldnt just force control away from the player like that at all. By all means have an npc come up to the player and say something. They do have that quite often where npcs say things without you having to instigate convos. Just have the npcs wait there for you to instigate the rest of the conversation.

I agree with that. The whole NPC running up and sucking you into a conversation reminds me a lot of Oblivion and what they were apparently trying to move away from. They succeeded most of the time but with that fugitive and other NPCs like it the way you described would be much better.
  • Geezus
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Speaking of dragons not being scripted, has anyone seen a dragon pick up a giant yet? :D
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, I also saw a Giant get stuck on the Dragon and wail at it in the air.

The fun part was that the Dragon was an Ancient or Eldar (one of the harder ones) so it didn't die quickly. Instead what I saw was a Giant wailing on a Dragon in flight, and a couple of seconds after, once it's heavily damage, crash land on the ground near me in the mountain ranges. I rushed over and Fire-Shouted both of them, killing them in one fell swoop.

It's bugs like these I love the TES games so much.

Although I'm still not sure how the Giant got damaged.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAnQQcIncq0"]Morrowind/Skyrim Theme Piano Violin Medley with Lara - YouTube[/ame]
  • MaVCArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaVCArt polycounter lvl 8
    just installed it this morning, already a couple of hours in. this is ridiculous! stopping to play this game is like being slammed with your face into the wall that is the real world, while playing it is like actually traveling the world of skyrim. bethesda, other than the occasional bug, this is by far the best game i have ever played. (no, i'm sorry, but this is my first elder scrolls. got into gaming a little late in the game...(no pun intended))
  • MissMaddyTaylor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MissMaddyTaylor greentooth
    My game crashes a lot/exits out the screen randomly (still trying to figure out why) but it really hasn't changed my opinion.

I've found my new addiction.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    @Terra

I know some people have issues with their .exe being used as an administrator. And Vice Versa. Try switching it, holmie! Or maybe unlocking that same .exe to use more than 2 gigs of ram.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Now that I have an understanding of what the races are and what's going on in this game I re-rolled a pure mage. Went straight to the wiz college, became the archmage, and loving it. Awesome how some of the same quests are totally different thanks to taking a different path.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    some fun with the legion officers, I dunno about you guys but I love messing around with stuff in skyrim, jumping on tables full of food that goes everywhere and putting pots on peoples heads lol

skyrim_comedy.jpg
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNuFNZijnCo"]The Dovahkiin is great with kids - YouTube[/ame]
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Wow, yeah no this Child Killing thing has actually gotten kind of out of hand. I did the first video as a massively dark joke, hence the silly music and shit, and it was a bratty kid everyone hated.

Still, I removed the child killing mod shortly after (because unlike Fallout 3, most kids in Skyrim are not intolerable God-brats)

Now I don't know what to do, my vid is approaching 30k views in the few days it's been up, I'm thinking of taking it down, rather not be part of some fox news broadcast slamming Bethesda and gamedevs or gamers.

Anyone with a better idea of how this might hurt the industry or how the American media will pick it up care to share their opinion on it?

Is it safe to leave up the vid for lulz or should I just take it down so I don't accidentally contribute to some media slander :S