Home General Discussion

Dark Souls

Replies

• ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Hmm.. Well.. Maybe I will upgrade both the sword and the Halberd. I like the Halberd for narrow corridors but the swords are sweet for crowd control. plus that Powerful Poke the Dark Knight Sword does is godly
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    ErichWK wrote: »
    That shinobi suit can lick my ass! I am a man! I built pyramids and flew to the moon, I can handle a little bit of mud and mosquitos. j/k

Plus I went back to the undead asylum and got this rad rusty ring that makes me run in water! Right now I'm obsessed with trying to kill the stray demon.. I got a Dark Knight Sword and am wondering if I should upgrade that or upgrade my halberd.

Well, it's very possible to beat the Stray Demon even at a low level. This guy did it at level 18.
    http://youtu.be/c21w40cHQdE

He also has a good set of training sort of videos for anyone just starting out:
    http://youtu.be/c21w40cHQdE

I'm still loving this game more and more as I go on. After I got over the hump and started to "get it" it's continued to be more rewarding and fun to progress through. It really reminds me of the 2d Castlevania games. There are tons of similarities between them.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    Dreamer wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ5gLGWcKBY

~ Why does embed never work for me on a Tuesday? WTF

thats so damned funny.. game looks a total bitch ..hahaha.. cant wait..
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    That was an interesting two days of Dark Souls. The highlights were being summoned in New Londo and jumping into the Abyss without the ring from Sif the Wolf, killing the poison dragon with lots of arrows, attempting to kill the red dragon but instead discovering a glitch that gave me 40,000 souls in 10 minutes by tricking the dragon to use fire breath over and over while next to a bonfire thus respawning the enemies above and giving me 300 souls every few seconds. I would have got more but the dragon stopped and then suddenly died. Later on I went back there and it was empty as I expected but suddenly WOOOOSH flames came from behind and the dragon was back :S

Oh yeah and I finally got invaded, in the forest behind the sealed door. I think he was part of the forest covenant who is summoned when a trespasser enters the forest. Regardless I owned him thanks to my best friend "lag".

Also it took three attempts to fight that wolf with the sword and by the third attempt I was really sweating with just two healing jugs left.

Finally, f*ck those ghosts.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    got to ms. moonlight butterfly. Died once, second go knew I would kill it.

Then she flys off into the fucking forest, never to return. I left the controller down for about 5-6 minutes as i went to check on iOS5 upgrade status... came back and she still wasn't back.

Was reading that she eventually dies if she has this bug (hur hur hur)... quit the game, hopefully she comes back when i turn it back on. blargh.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still in the first castle in demon souls, got the winged spear from the red knight happy happy joy joy.. +1 it and two shotting blue knights frickin awesome.. only thing is that I have trouble sometimes hitting the target with it .. -.-

am actually happy just to rpeatedly kill on this level and not bother with the rest of the game..

oh yeah that NPC Ostrava disappeared ... -.- I cleared his patrol route then died on my next go hes no where to be found and has the key for the kings tomb.. with the uber sword in it -.-
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Yep it's best to kill that guy early or he can vanish. Anyway you need to be more outgoing or you'll never progress. In one night I got through Demon's Souls to pass the time because there are many ways to avoid fights using shortcuts and simple dodging ;)
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Did he disappear in world 1-1 or 1-4? If you're still in 1-1 you need to find him in all worlds(maybe just 1,2 and 4?) before you get the key.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah ok cool.. I thought he might have got killed and was wandering around looking for a corpse to loot.. he better bloody show up later.. I want that sword !
  • Spitfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been playing this for maybe 40 hours now, and i know for sure im not even half way into the game, the world is so big i just cant stop exploring.

Does anyone have any tips on agood armors ? im so sick of my easterner armor xD
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Not sure how good easterner armour is, but in Darkroot gardens there is
    a full set of Elite Knight armour in the area with the sleeping giants. At the door that requires the crest to get through, if you head down the small path to the right of the door, through the white mist, the armour is at the back/right of that area
  • Vorge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vorge polycounter lvl 18
    Depending on what your set up is there are a lot of options. I'm I upgraded Elite Knight Armor with a boar's helmet, but I'm also rocking 40 Endurance so I don't really feel the roll penalty. If you're playing a lighter, more dexterous character you might want to look into upgrading the gold-trimmed armor from the ceaseless discharge fight. You look like a ringwraith and that in itself is pretty badass.
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    I mainly use two handed weapons, am I good to just up Vit, End and Str?

Edit: Am I the only one that's getting a heavy Castlevania vibe from this game? Love it.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    Vorge wrote: »
    If you're playing a lighter, more dexterous character you might want to look into upgrading the gold-trimmed armor from the ceaseless discharge fight. You look like a ringwraith and that in itself is pretty badass.

I'm using this set but can't upgrade it unfortunately :( +10 other light armors would probably end up being better end game, but just for base stats, this set is awesome :)
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uuuuuggggh, New Londo suuuuuucks. I've basically done it all except for the final part, which I can't yet do as I'm not equipped for it. Going to back and grind for a bit at Darkroot Garden, work up miracle so I can use the heal spell. Not sure where after that, catacombs or Blighttown probably if I can find them.

Also got fed up of hurling myself at the Stray Demon, I'll go back later once I'm pimped up more.
  • MadnessImport
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK wrote: »
    I don't care if his Armour is so so..I just wanna look like a bad ass. It will be mine. 6208936603_0abe8d2254_z.jpg

Dreamer..that video is god damn hilarious. That entire ending around the 11 minute mark pretty much sums up Dark Souls

We killed that bastard in hopes of getting his armor but alas nothing but a useful ring

We killed him because he gave off the same vibe as Yurt from demons souls. I for one didn't want to take a chance of him killing everyone like yurt tried too but who knows maybe hes not a creep
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    We killed that bastard in hopes of getting his armor but alas nothing but a useful ring

We killed him because he gave off the same vibe as Yurt from demons souls. I for one didn't want to take a chance of him killing everyone like yurt tried too but who knows maybe hes not a creep

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/knight-lautrec-of-carim

Explains how to get his armor, you have to go through a bunch of hoops to get it.
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    finally completed deamons souls last week end, did a bit of new game+, but not in the mood to replay the whole game again..

thinking of getting DS today, hope 2h uchigatana and a fuckload of stamina for dat rolling is a solid strat this time around as well!
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Also got fed up of hurling myself at the Stray Demon

He got me a few times but I found a pretty straight forward strategy. Take off all armour and use a small sword like the Drake sword +1 and learn his pattern. It's either a swing forward "explode" which rarely hits, the rise up and fall down move which is so slow you can just roll back and the most deadly but also slow, explode all around move.

Took 10 minutes or less and I did 2-3 hits per one of his attacks. Sif was harder for me due to his constant jumping around.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soo I decided to kill the 1:1 boss.. fun and rather easier than trying to kill a red knight.. but Imma gonna farm red knight for souls..
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    rolfness wrote: »
    Soo I decided to kill the 1:1 boss.. fun and rather easier than trying to kill a red knight.. but Imma gonna farm red knight for souls..

if you want soul farming, go to world 4 and kill the first boss. 4-2 is the place to be (you'll know the area when you do it, its near the start). You may want to do 2-1, 2-2, and 2-3 (3 is a joke) soon too. Can venture out of 1-1 safely now, and can level yourself back at the nexus!

I beat the Butterfly and Capra demon last night, starting to get more into teh game now after fighting some more bosses!!

One change I love, is the range you can move away from your summon mark now. In Demon's Souls, if you ran a little bit away it'd cancel. You can almost clear an entire level, and still be summoned when you're near the end of a section. Did that a few times last night, great way to get humanity from killing bosses and free souls!
  • MadnessImport
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg wrote: »
    http://darksouls.wikidot.com/knight-lautrec-of-carim

Explains how to get his armor, you have to go through a bunch of hoops to get it.

For me Using a wiki/Guide before game completion = no no
    Ill be sure to check this out afterwards though. That armor is beautiful.

Has anyone located Vinlands bramd yet? Just wondering

Also me & my friend are getting different item drops from certain special enemies. The Dark nights ive defeated each dropped a weapon a shield and a ring for me where's they just drop those stone things for my friend. So did anyone get the second dark nights weapon or a ring like i did? (Hes around where the armored pig thing is)
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    I've not gotten any equipment from the Black Knights, only titanite.
  • MadnessImport
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well then i guess it really depends on your drop rate now

In Demons souls you got special items no matter what now they want you to grind and raise for yours.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hnnnrrrgg, took on the Gaping Dragon. Damn that thing is awesome, but it killed me when I had it down to about 10% on my second attempt.

Tomorrow it dies.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Yeah I got the great knight sword which is my main damage dealer in Anor Londo but I've switched to the golden armour from the duo boss and even though it sucks, I crafted the large spear that the boss also uses. I look like a holy warrior :D

I also found out that being in the forest convenant, it doesn't matter what lvl you are so you could invade as a lvl 300 and fight a lvl 40 :D
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EtotheRic polycounter lvl 18
    This game is as punishing as Demons Souls. I just started and got to the bull headed boss and rolled off the flipping wall. So many ways to fail in this game, haha. I love it.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Very weird night. I decided to try invading in Anor Londo and when it loaded up it was night time and I couldn't find the player for ages. Eventually I saw the health bar from attacking enemies so I went in that direction and attacked him. It was a tough battle and I had the upperhand at times but my weapon is only +1 so he was able to heal over and over before I could finish him off.

I died but then a blue phantom invaded...never seen that before...and he killed the player and somehow I got the souls. A nice 400,000 :D

But the whole Anor Londo at night was freaky.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Took down the Gaping Dragon and currently dealing with a certain dog.

When I go grinding I tend to wear full stone armour now. Even if I don't block, most enemies barely touch me.

Was annoyed though, I got the talisman that uses your intelligence for miracles instead of faith, got my int up enough for the miracle to take you to your last bonfire, but it won't let me use it :(
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZWEIHANDER!!!!!
    JAAAA!!!

was going for the uchigatana, but found that beast of a sword instead. helped me out a ton before I got my uchigatana 6+

gogogo
  • Serp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serp polycounter lvl 17
    I got the red orb now so I can invade as much as I want and I've been doing it in Anor Londo.

I invaded one guy who had summoned 2 chaps and were heading to the boss. I hid near the knight at the top of the stairs with my fog ring and finished off his first mate when he killed the knight.
    Then they went back to summon another guy and his other mate came back to the boss area to find me, but I was hiding by the side entrance away from him, so I started chasing the main guy all over the place and finally backstabbed him just before his mate backstabbed me, and then he got desummoned as well :D

Inading and being invaded gives me such a rush, I get adrenaline and I forget to do basic things like changing my weapons, so I end up running up to the enemy and healing rather than backstabbing.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Yeah you're not the only one. I definitely feel the rush as it says "Invading new world". But I chill out beforehand cause it can be strategic at times.

So I entered the painted world and said to myself "Man, if you can get the painted ninja armour then this game is perfect." A few minutes later I open a chest and voila. Now I'm a ninja with bleeding daggers and poison knives :>
  • Axios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axios polycounter lvl 10
    So I was ready to fight Lautrec of Carim at the Firelink Shrine, but I guess I was standing too close when I started the fight because the first thing he did was a backflip through a window and off the cliff. Still got my items though.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Been having so much fun! The wolf was proving to be too rage inducing so I went down to blight town (hayoooo) expecting to die a lot but breezed through it. Quelagg is a lot of fun! Beat her pretty easily after two or three facepalm deaths. Moooore!!

Joined the forest hunters covenant and it's quickly losing its charm. Got the fog ring, but now I only seem to invade super crazy high levels who one shot me. Also think I encountered my first cheater... Someone was spamming what looked like firebombs like mad - about 5-8 a second mad. Got a backstab in but the firespam was too much. Lame. Oh, i also fought someone who looked like a bush, was pretty awesome. Want to try for more kills to get to see if there are any other rewards before breaking the covenant. It's far too annoying right now :/

Edit: seems the firebomb thing was an exploit of a bug, not hax. Lameee
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    can someone please explain to me something?

I got my body back and well.. apparently I can change into a spirit with soldiers and hero spirit stones.. whats the difference between the two and whats the point of actually becoming a spirit ?

EDIT
    ohh DUUUH nvm lol =.=
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally beat the damn Wolf, my heart was thumping hard and my foot was twitching erraticly towards the end of the fight, but I bloody did it.

Went around, did some stuff.

Got summoned by the cat, got whooped by some dude with a massive flaming sword, huge armour and some fancy spell I've not seen before (looked like 5 soul arrows at the same time).

Last night I got punished pretty hard by the game, technically for something good I did earlier.....hnnnrrrrrr
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Yeah I believe the forest covenant doesn't take levels into consideration.

I'm actually disappointed with one aspect, the armour. I wish they made wearing certain armors more useful such as the painted ninja armour which is extremely weak and doesn't have any good stats that counter the golden armour.

They could have followed the Monster Hunter route with armour combinations that give you skills. For example wearing the weak ninja armour could make you completely invisible when combined with the fog ring. The strongest armour could give you a bonus in attack power etc.

Oh well, I found some sweet witch armour in the Drake Lands and now I hold my large black knight sword with two hands while the staff sits on my back ready to buff the sword. At present I seem to be doing 1000 damage with my Forward + R2 attack which wipes out invaders. One guy invaded me in the sewers right in front of me so I gave him time to compose himself and then walked backwards. As he ran towards me I lunged at him with the flying jump R2 attack and one R1 attack. He didn't have a chance :>
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi wrote: »
    They could have followed the Monster Hunter route with armour combinations that give you skills.
    I LAJK!

got black leather armor right now.. is that the ninja armor you're refering to, or should I expect anything even more ninja later on?:poly142:
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    When you enter the painting world in Anor Londo, it's there. It has a cool chinese ponytail on the back.

uDg0T.jpg
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beat the tower knight on demon souls ostrava is no where to be found .. fuck..
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    You have to beat the arch demon in 2-3 to get past the fog in 1-2 and Ostrava will be there. Technically he also turns up in the Nexus on the ledge in the middle.

So I got more into invading last night. My place of choice was New Londo because most people at my level tend to fight the four kings. So my first invasion, I run to the first two ghosts and hide behind a wall. The players walk past me and drop down to the lower section with the skull knights. I waited till they went up the stairs and into the dark room with the giant blog monster. I then made my move and backstabbed and swung my giant black blade at them. Victory!

Invasion 2 was the funniest for me. I did the same tactic but the guy wouldn't come to me. I sat behind the wall for a good 20-30 minutes and received a PSN message "Come fight me pussy". So I waited a further 10 minutes and he finally came closer but I knew he was trying to lure me out of my hiding place so I waited a bit more, then he turned his back on me so I took the chance and backstabbed him. Then I did one more swing and he was down. I did the obligatory run in circles dance and received a message titled "Pussy, c*nt etc etc" Victory!

After that it was all fail. It was late and hanging around behind that wall for so long made me a bit impatient. Either I got owned by 3 vs 1 or I got backstabbed off a cliff. Damn that was fail.

Can't wait to do more tonight. My bounty is now 2.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not tried invading yet, other than when I was summoned by the cat.

Last night....I inadvertantly got a blacksmith killed.... :(

Been making my way through The Catacombs and got to the entrance of The Tomb of the Giants (or something like that) where I literally fell into it, and died.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im tempted to murder ostrava next time I see him to be absolutely certain I get the key..

oh yeah I finally figured out that you can target baddies.. wow so much easier..lol
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Oh yeah, something odd also happened. I invaded the same dude a couple of times cause no one else was on the server and then suddenly I see "You are being summoned."

I'm brought into his game as a white soul and I'm confused since I never laid one down. So I stood still thinking he somehow trolled me and he kicked me out. Weird stuff.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    God, played through Anor Lando yesterday, annoying and hard! Currently at the bossfight there, which I have deemed impossible without help. Soooo I'm going back to Blighttown to see if I missed something there.
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi wrote: »
    received a PSN message
    how the fudge?
    as I remember Deamons Souls and what I've gathered from Dark Souls is that the characters ingame don't use your PSN ID rather some bogus name you come up with ingame. and when meeting other people, you never get to know they PSN ID, not even in the Players Met tab on the XMB.
    what hax are you people using to get peoples PSN/Live ID's?:poly142:

not that I'd spam people, but had a talk about this the other day..we couldn't figure out how people got that information..
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Well you press PS button in-game and then click the "Show Players Who Played With" thing and it gives you a list, top to bottom. Dark Souls uses your PSN ID so my Trolololol name for my invading character was for nothing!
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    it does the same on xbox. it shows the gamertag of the world you invade/invader's name, as well as showing up in the recent player's list.

I accidentally attacked the forest hunter vendor in blighttown yesterday trying to kill a fly and broke that covenant. ah well. Went to the forest, killed him and his ninja for their items, and pvped there for a good while. ended up netting 200k souls killing the same 4-5 people over and over, as well as dying a few times (only had 3 humanity). was great soul farming, and great fun in the 2v1's that happened often. I was cheap for a while using my fog ring, but then stopped using it when the same people invaded over and over. Cartwheel rolling is fucking win. Was a shitload more fun to be invaded there than to invade people... as most of the people I would invade either cheat leveling, exploited, or were just way too high level for me.

after i ran out of humanity slogged to Anor Londo and will keep progressing now, though the forest is a great distraction!

rolf: be patient lol :) you may not be able to do much with that key for a while anyway - best to go beat some other levels, level up, and come back when you upgrade weapons. You can always return to whatever level you want to.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose wrote: »

rolf: be patient lol :) you may not be able to do much with that key for a while anyway - best to go beat some other levels, level up, and come back when you upgrade weapons. You can always return to whatever level you want to.

patience? what is this patience of which you speak? and I wanted to breeze though this one so I could start dark souls.. but the game doesnt seem to get the concept of breezing

I killed the red dragon \o/ well wasnt very exciting at all in fact it was downright boring.. light crossbow + 200 bolts ..zzzzz
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Did a new character for fun, going the holy warrior knight route. Managed to bust havels ass (was a bit scary considering he could one shot me) and the hydra at super low levels just because i knew their attack patterns.

Pretty interesting. I still play with my main character from time to time. Decided to go into catacombs and do some carnage (missed that area entirely, and valley, and new londo and yeah... i miss so many areas. Got the lordvessel and all) :/

EDIT: I'm calling it now. This is one of the best games this console generation.