Home General Discussion

Am I allowed to rant? Non-contributing community members. (Uh oh!)

Replies

• Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Yea the mock up was real rough and I am sure can be redesigned a whole lot better but hopefully it sparks some ideas rather then people thinking it makes the site more bloated.

Look at this guy, hes all like... yeah I just pressed a button or two and that shit fell out.

I like it.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah, there are great things in that mockup!

However customizable web interfaces usually mean quite a bit of slowdown ... Id rather have all that functionality spread around a few distinct pages - or maybe display preferences toggling some elements on and off once and for all.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    that would be awesome, the more art we can see the better. really like having a preview/highlights section on the front page :)

Although I feel sorry for Adam, he wants us to open up more and we tell him to make the site better haha.

Haz - F'in great write up on your process :)
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i'd have to say i prefer Marks layout over Piors... i don't really want to be bombarded with images.

what i would say, however. is that if Piors were to be the chosen format going forward, then maybe the larger images should be the ones with FEWER posts/views. that way you're encouraging people to look at the less viewed stuff and hopefully we can discover new people or help people that would otherwise be overlooked.
    it's also largely "self balancing", in that the more people clicking on the big picture, the smaller that picture gets, and the bigger another one gets in its place.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    ~ Whatever direction the forum goes in. I think we can all agree that more pictures and less text would be wonderful;

but what would be even better would be if people asked lots of questions about art they liked and the artists found time to answer them.

That would be so Sex.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    from a design standpoint, if there's an image wall, then there shouldn't be a banner.

Too many images is painful to the eyes.
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea I agree Jesse you could get rid of the spotlight banner and shrink it up some length wise and maybe even do a spotlight banner rotation on the side where the waywo thread stuff is even.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    So far I've liked Mark's layout the best.

Personally I'm against the large image wall and that sort of thing. I think it works to enhance the superstar "ass patting" mentality, and works against the feeling of communication and community that makes polycount so great (at least in comparison to other places).

I think simply having some images pull from the WAYWO thread or from P&P threads, and tossing them up in one or two rows next to or underneath the banner is plenty.

From my standpoint you wouldn't even need to have fancy coding or something, you could even have some moderators (new or old) just put up image links to cool threads that would normally get looked over the deserve some attention, or something of the sort. We as a community could simply help by making those threads more noticeable - similar to how we do already with news posts and articles.

That's my thoughts, anyway. From my point of view turning polycount into the CGHub homepage is only going to increase the amount of people who come here looking to kiss ass with their anime dreams, and push away people looking to really get their hands dirty working to improve through honest (potentially harsh) critique.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    Nice Ryan, but you need to tighten up the graphics and I have another website I need you to build when you're finished. :poly121:
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Is there an 'SDK thread'? Or forum subsection?
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    luke wrote: »
    I fucking love CGhub's image generation on the front page, and then all the content in there, spend hours just looking through that shizz

Exactly why I don't want one here. People use CGhub like a portfolio site (for some, it is their portfolio), rather than a community or place for discussion.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Two Listen wrote: »
    Exactly why I don't want one here. People use CGhub like a portfolio site (for some, it is their portfolio), rather than a community or place for discussion.

Easily solved if clicking the picture takes you to a WIP thread rather than a gallery page.