Home General Discussion

Am I allowed to rant? Non-contributing community members. (Uh oh!)

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
Oh I am? Nice! It's Friday. I've had far too much caffeine already and feel like writing. I hope you all don't mind.

DISCLAIMER: No one specific post, artist, or activity prompted me to write this. I have wanted to for awhile and finally sat down to do it.

3D game artists who use communities to shill their artwork, while never or hardly ever participating in the community outside of their own artwork: Lame.

I'd like to think that every artist takes some pride in helping others grow. But some times this isn't the case -- especially with extremely talented individuals who have the most to offer from an education & opinion stand point. Far too often do we see 'hit & run' art drops.

As someone who runs a community, I see this a lot. I see a lot of artwork that gets posted. In fact, at least at Polycount, I see it all. And more often than not do I see people who log in, paste the exact same vBulletin post code from the last forum the posted it in, submit, then wait for the praise.

It's annoying.

It's annoying because included in these art drops, are some education bits like wireframes and texture flates with no other explanation. Explain your process. Show how you can think objectively about your artwork in addition to your subjective train of thought.

How did you reach the final product? What steps did you take from the very beginning? Did you go off-the-cuff and come out on top with a crazy creative piece? Or did you plan for days or weeks prior to ever opening 3DS Max or Maya? Use that and copy & paste that everywhere.

What's the benefit to you as the author to take the time and write these things out?

There's many benefits to taking the time and writing about your processes, techniques, and personal thoughts on the artwork. I've experienced it first hand myself:
  • Further personal investment from other community members in you as an artist. (Read: People will personally want to see you grow, even if you are already an established, working, 3D game artist.)
  • If it's an itchy ego you have: You'll get far more substance in the praise you receive for writing out your processes than you will ever see with simply dropping your artwork. There's a huge difference between, "I JUST JIZZED IN MY PANTS THIS IS SO GOOD!" Vs. "Wow, thank you SO much for this information. This piece turned out so great."
  • When you take the time to think about your own processes after everything is said-and-done, its a learning experience for yourself. Maybe you forgot something that happened a long the way that you want to do again on the next project (or never do again!). Perhaps you found a really awesome technique you hadn't realized you used before and writing it out helped you remember. And so on.

In short -- Tell us about it. We want to know. I've been doing this job now professionally for nearly 8 years and I still want to read about how my colleagues come to their final artwork. Yes, yes, I enjoy looking at pretty pictures but I enjoy them more when I read how they got to where they are. Share some of your informative nuggets and help grow this craft as a whole rather than selfishly retain that information for yourself.

Rant over.

-2 cents

Replies

• Klumpmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, as a lurker on this site I have been curious to see and learn the process of how the "hit and run" artists make great pieces. That would make polycount more of a community than an art gallery. Thank you for addressing this problem.
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Great post Adam and I totally agree. I loved reading through your Evil Genius thread, it's great to see how an environment starts out. I think the issue for a lot of aspiring artists is 'how the hell do I do X?' and 'how do I start out making an environment?'. We need more of these types of threads, and I'm going to make one this weekend and let people contribute.

Your post was oddly inspiring for me to get cracking on with some 3D!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hell -- If you go in to your next project thinking you're going to 'document' the entire process, its just a better development experience all around. I promise.
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    adam wrote: »
    3D game artists who use communities to shill their artwork, while never or hardly ever participating in the community outside of their own artwork: Lame.
    SO true, I couldn't agree with you more. As a forum member, I see this a lot as well. Unfortunately, the rest of CG forums have a similar issue too.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Excellent post, I often drop questions to artists like Mr. Ace that really do help me, but in more top of the line work I tend to not get a reply.

I sure hope it isn't an attitude of "I had to struggle to get to where I am, why should I make it easier for you, so you can take my job?"

Adam, perhaps we should have another section for artists to fully document the process of their creations? Its better than the wips in P&P that just post pictures every few days and don't explain what they've changed, and very few are more indepth than that.
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    I completely agree, and thanks for voicing all of that.

I personally haven't posted too much in the Pimping and Preview area because, like most artists, I'm my own worst critic. It's not that I do my job or work on my own personal projects half ass, it's that I'm learning the ropes. There really hasn't been that much to see other than me failing to achieve quality every time - only inching the bar a little bit each project. However, this time around everything just clicked and I think I've finally achieved a level of success I feel comfortable sharing, and when I do, I'll be sure to do a full write up on it and then maybe the community can come in and say neat things like "Yeah man, I do it that way too" or "Eh, that works, but try things this way next time," etc. That's the stuff I'm most interested, and I'm sure others, in hearing.
    Adam, perhaps we should have another section for artists to fully document the process of their creations? Its better than the wips in P&P that just post pictures every few days and don't explain what they've changed, and very few are more indepth than that.

Meh, people just need to use P&P correctly. We don't need another board to band-aid it. The point he is trying to make is that people are doing just that: posting pics and not explaining anything. P&P is the place to do it.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    I know a lot of people talk about their process in the projects that make the banner. People write tutorials, process and useful skills. Maybe it should be hold as an example of how to help other display your work.

Polycount for me is about looking at awesome art, but most importantly how one gets there. The process, tools, skills, thats all that one needs to help other artists grow and be a good member of the community.

Good post tho.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stradigos wrote: »
    Meh, people just need to use P&P correctly. We don't need another board to band-aid it. The point he is trying to make is that people are doing just that: posting pics and not explaining anything. P&P is the place to do it.
    P&P seems to be more of a show off for crits section, but a section for fully documenting a work process would work almost like tutorials, i'd love to spend a few hours reading the threads.
  • Veizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Veizer polycounter lvl 11
    As a lurker I totally agree that the most amazing pieces sometimes seem to be done with some ancient arcane magic that nobody has a clue about.
    But to praise Polycount, here is where this doesn't happen so much or at least there is so much good threads and WIPs with great amount of info and feedback.
  • BluPanda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't post often on here, or show work to terribly often either. When I do however i often think my techniques are not interesting enough to share. I often see people doing cool shortcuts and brush techniques, which I learn from but don't often come up with new stuff really... The last couple of things have been pretty self explanatory, just ... hard work i guess.

I think that attitude permeates many people who post including myself, I often don't consider how broad the audience is who is checking stuff out and instead often wrongly assume everyone knows the same things I do. So what might be self evident to me... probably Isnt as obvious to people as I may expect.

-random thoughts, not that i really post much on here anyway, but its a good read =)
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    I love this post, adam.

I definitely agree, that pattern could stagnate us all as artists in the long run. I also think, it comes down to some people not wanting to show their "secret-sauce". But to those people i say that it's the challenge from others and the different interpretations of your particular techniques through the work of the artists that use it, that will help you even more. When some one uses your technique from another perspective that has already made you and the other artist much better and in the end evolve both.

I eventually wanna share some of the small things i do, (somethings i haven't seen much people do, texturing wise) Whenever i get my site up. this is gonna be a great discussion nonetheless! :)
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    I agree, lately you often fall on a good enviro or character and have to ask and ask repeatedly for people to give details about their workflow. Some really are here just for the praise.

In each environment I make, first I never do crossboard postings because I dont have the time, and I like to post all the progress I make, even if the art looks generally bad from the start. I hardly ever see work in progress thread from highly talented artists.

Are people afraid to show unfinished maps? (not counting WAYWO thread btw, where people hardly ever comment the picture they posted)
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    There's an old adage that, if you really want to understand something, write about it.

It applies here, because creatives make gut decisions all the time without really thinking why something feels right, looks better, or works easier.

Write about it. Post it up. Everyone benefits.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    ~ Good post.

Firstly; I think breaking up sections is a bad idea, because it could potentially change everybody's thinking if they constantly see explanations/breakdowns in the P+P and it could therefore be seen as 'the standard' to explain your stuff.

~ I also think people sometimes ppl perpetuate the 'OMFG' culture, harmlessly but could perhaps be a bit more mindful of it. Ask questions more. It's nice to have the 'Oh you're great' but don't feel too embarrassed to just ask questions by the truckload.
    If the threadstarter won't answer you, I bet someone else will if you ask enough times.

~ And I really really dislike when people ask workflow questions via PM, instead of on the desired thread. Everybody can benefit from the answer to your question if you ask it publicly.

/my2cents
  • lloyd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I do come here and look at the nice pictures, but a lot of the time I see people mentioning the things I'd say.

I am really impressed but I feel bad just posting. 'that looks great, I love the lighting', So i often feel like I don't have anything constructive to add.

This goes back to them 'constructive crit' badges people like to flash around. I get to the point where i feel i shouldn't bother saying anything.

I am here guys, olah!

-lloyd [russian box]
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Dam elitism!

Screen capping work is the way forward. I have 80+ gigs of recording's to sort and I'm midi level artist ;D Sure the pros would push Gb's a day
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    I'm also finding people to really resist a crit. I used to crit people's work all the time, especially anatomy as I'm a big anatomy nerd. But for the most part nobody seems to appreciate it. Other than people who specifically ask for anatomy crits.

I even had a guy send me a PM saying that he knows what he's doing, and if he had wanted a crit, he would have asked his friends for it.

So then what happens is that if I see an awesome thread that I want to post in, I'm basically left with only saying something like "Good job man, that's awesome". Which is then followed by a bunch of pictures of Randy from Southpark in a mayonnaise covered room.

At any case, I'm not really getting the sense of a learning atmosphere. More of a pat on the back place.

As to what could help it... I don't know really. But what I often wished we had, is something like the WAYWO thread, only for dedicated subjects. So say an Anatomy one, people will post their WIP shot with the declared purpose (by being in that thread to begin with) that it will be looked at critically, and/or asked about for workflow if people are curious. Maybe one for hand-painted textures, as that seems to be a common theme. It would also create a centralized place to look back at if you're trying to improve a specific thing.

No need for a subforum. Just a thread will do in my opinion.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    Maybe something could be done to encourage these types of threads then? The best documented threads being put into the wiki or starred or something.

But yeah it'd be nice to see more of these threads. There are a fair few and some people video their work and then put it up on Vimeo with some explanation, that's especially awesome.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The only reason I would ignore crits is

A. Im too far along to fix something like that without starting over, I usually say this though.

B. I did what I did on purpose but it may be hard to see that right now.
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Adam, I don't think that's a problem at all here at Polycount... I don't remember ever having one of my questions in the pimping and previews forum ignored.

You can't expect everyone to write a detailed breakdown with each post. Some people just don't have the time, others don't care and others are are too insecure/protective about their knowledge to share it. That's how the world is.

If you take a look at other game art communities you will see that 99% of the posts there are just art drops; This percentage is much lower here on Polycount imo.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Minotaur0 -- its a problem here, certainly. We're not unlike most sites when it comes to this. Questions might not be ignored, but thats not my problem. My problem is hit & run posts that may-or-may not be updated or addressed later. The worst is when the author comes back a day later with a collective 'thanks guys'.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    I agree wholeheartedly with this adam! I find it irritating that so many people dump their art and don't even try to describe how they got there. As a persistent learner, I want to know what processes other artists use, so that I may adapt their processes to mine. Also, when you describe your methods, others with experience can weigh in on the strengths and weaknesses of it so you can improve your own workflow. Thanks for the posting adam!
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I did something like this recently, i had a lot of advice along the way and i felt like others could get some benefits from it too.

Most of my sketches and rambling goes on in my sketchbook though, i feel like i can say things better via posting images as opposed to trying to explain my vague and erratic process.

(typically though I dont like bumping my own threads unless i have an image to go with it and i rarely respond to things about my images in WAYWO as its a clusterfuck as is, personal preference mainly. i like questions though, as it makes me consider my reasons and its nice to be useful to someone)

I dont like selling myself but considering the topic it seems appropriate for those who are interested, hell... its more about the advice rather than the artwork;

http://apedogs.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1305&p=46069
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Minotaur0, you more or less posted what I wanted to say.

Still there are plenty of learning resources on PC, just gotta dig through the forum.
    Its great if people are kind enough to post their processes and workflow, but we shouldn't expect that as the norm as no one really owes us anything in life.

In the workplace I have always been very open about how I do things and was keen to share out any base meshes, handy textures. I have never been mean spirited that way, but on PC I somehow feel there are better qulaified, more technically able people to explain how to do stuff.
    My work seems to just messily bodge itself in to a final piece,ater much reworking, fiddling about with stuff
  • Serygala
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Good job man, that's awesome"

I usually get a lot of these too until someone comes up with actual hints on things I did wrong.
    I usually appreciate these. But well... I'm new to the forums and a complete beginner at modeling myself. ...and I want to complain about something that bothers me on these forums... so please don't read along if you think I'm not yet entitled to do that. Do something else...like baking a pizza

So yeah! I see a lot of amazing work here, that is sometimes really creative in every artistic aspect. ( I recently saw some multiple story tramways...these where great!!) In fact, some stuff is so good that it will most likely not find any use in any videogame title (there is no room for it in stereotype militarymoneywhoringshooter 22045)

But then, people only point out flaws on some work without actually writing about the model as a whole. So lets say someone creates a cool armor set for a knight in a fantasy game. He designed that thing in a specific way and I'm sure that the creator would really like to know how other artists react to it/ see it.

And then a lot of guys simply point out flaws in the anatomy of the legs. Well great!!

A good critic, if you would like to take some time writing one contains:

A) It regards the piece as a whole and a few lines on what it actually feels like (I'm not english, you should have noticed that by now) // what impression it has

B) What is wrong// what could be improved

B²) How could it be improved, in case you have some killer tips.

C) What is actually really good and what the artists should keep doing in future projects/models/pizzarecipes.

Well, yeah.. Thats not really related to the topic... but someone was talking about it above this post anyway.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Basically: Polycount should be more like conceptart.org!
  • dempolys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SupRore wrote: »

:/
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SupRore wrote: »

What does that mean?
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty much everyone at ca.org, ESPECIALLY the more successful artists, regularly engage in discussion and detailed feedback/explanation of their work. And sketchbook threads are less art dumps and more 60-200 pages of concentrated art wisdom, discussion, and focused critique. Jump in to any of the gigantic threads based around art dumps and you'll find a TON of incredibly insightful posts from all sides.

Generally when people post something big to show off they solicit questions and will post exhaustive breakdowns and explanations to pretty much anyone who asks.

It's really a super awesome community and there's nothing embarrassing about wanting to emulate that kind of environment.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=118126
    this is a good example. Read all 8 pages, and then tell me you don't want polycount's culture to be more like that!
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just asked cause I'm not familiar with it at all.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason manley being the guy who worked on Icewind dale, vampire bloodlines, cofoudned massive black, and has been producing tutorials and educational material for the game art community for almost a decade? Polycount has AWESOME admins, but i definitely wouldnt complain about a guy like that either.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I completely agree with the original post. I think it would help if the right questions were being asked as well though. I don't blame artists for not elaborating on basic questions that could be answered through a 2 minute google search or opening the PC wiki. I'm also find it ridiculous that every time someone posts a great high poly model, instead of asking about process or technique, the only question asked is "Wow dOOd! Whats ur render setup?!1!"

On a semi-related note, I think another issue that could be addressed is members with 1000+ posts without posting one bit of art or constructive information. Not that it's really hurting anyone, it's just annoying :p
  • bgoodsell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If there's one thing I've learned as a novice artist its that tutorials and openness of workflow make people believe your more of a professional than you appear to be. Hell the tutorials on my website alone get 80% of the hits to my website.

Its funny you bring this up because i'm in the process of finishing up a big art project that had some massive failures to it and wanted to share my experience of where I went right and where I went wrong. Postmordms are always the best part of any project in my opinion.

I do enjoy the occasional shameless art dump like professional work on a professional project where the workflow and development shots may be more restricted, but for personal work why wouldn't you want to build out your portfolio with some words of 'here's how i did it?' Where artists dammit, we love to hear ourselves talk about our artwork to anyone with an open ear.
  • bgoodsell
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 18
    Dreamer wrote: »
    ~ Good post.

Firstly; I think breaking up sections is a bad idea, because it could potentially change everybody's thinking if they constantly see explanations/breakdowns in the P+P and it could therefore be seen as 'the standard' to explain your stuff.

~ I also think people sometimes ppl perpetuate the 'OMFG' culture, harmlessly but could perhaps be a bit more mindful of it. Ask questions more. It's nice to have the 'Oh you're great' but don't feel too embarrassed to just ask questions by the truckload.
    If the threadstarter won't answer you, I bet someone else will if you ask enough times.

~ And I really really dislike when people ask workflow questions via PM, instead of on the desired thread. Everybody can benefit from the answer to your question if you ask it publicly.

/my2cents

^^^ what he said.
    even if you are a professional artists who worked for many years don't be embarrassed to ask for a breakdown. i think some people are afraid to ask because it hurts their ego.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dreamer wrote: »

Me too, even beyond that, I get PM's from people who I've spent a good deal of time writing a critique/response to, or pm's directly related to one of the rather large threads if written/contributed to in tech talk... Like people are afraid to look dumb or something so they contact me via pm. To me this is just a pain, and does nothing to further the community.

ASK IN PUBLIC! Thats what Polycount is for guys! Chances are your questions are something someone else is wondering/struggling with, and chances are someone besides me also knows the answer/has some good input as well.

On a semi-related note, I think another issue that could be addressed is members with 1000+ posts without posting one bit of art or constructive information. Not that it's really hurting anyone, it's just annoying :p

Yeah, I can understand not posting much art, as for many Professional artists, a lot of the work you do is under NDA. I can also understand not really contributing much in tech talk etc if you're not a very technical artist. What drives me nuts is the people who post seemingly just to argue about the political threads or talk about the games they're playing etc etc in General Discussion, contributing little to the *game art* aspect of polycount. These people should be rounded up and put into camps.
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    I'm almost ready to post a thread on my workflow for 28mm miniature production, from ZBrush > 3D Print > Green Stuff > Mold > Little plastic guys > .. Profit?

Truly a learning experience, I feel like a pioneer! :x
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I can kinda see where Adam is coming from, but mostly, I'd agree with Minotaur0 And Ruz.

Also I don't think there are many secrets being kept from us in the game art world, I think the secret sauce is just years and years of practice. There's far more of that 'withholding' going on in other areas of CG, the type of CG you'd see on GCTalk; lighting tips, hair/cloth simulation etc. Deliberately vague advice being handed out in places like that for art of that type (that relies, IMO, much more on 'hidden' buttons/settings).
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    I've never noticed this as a problem on polycount, but I definitely notice it on other forums
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    I think the other flipside of the coin is people actively encouraging people posting for ego stroking/ass pats. people who just post jizz images or "OMFG SO AWESOME FAP FAP FAP" are not really contributing at all.

a single sentance reply is kinda useless and a lot of the time seems to be just there to up their post count, which is retarded either way. ok....you have 4k posts...3500 of which are cat images or "zomg coool narf". your post count doesn't = respect level. Thoughtful, insightful posts are what make me want to interact with industry pros.

OK now to the main point. yes there is a ton of FUCKING AWESOME WORK posted here on a daily basis. so next time you want to say "omg im jizzing my pants it so cool" why dont you go the lil extra few key strokes and explain what excites you so much about the piece and ask questions about it, if you really care about the art.

"wow that looks fucking amazing, nice job!"

or

"wow that looks fucking amazing, nice job! I really like how you got the various material definition on this model. the contrast between the concrete and metal looks really believable, how did you go about achieving that? I really like the lighting, would you mind posting a shot of the lighting setup"

literally 20 seconds of extra typing the thoughts going through my mind when I look at something and the information it could bring to the community/provide feedback/ technique overview to anyone on this forum for future reference.

Adam makes a great point about providing more info upfront, which is totally something I agree with. if people start asking more questions or even just explaining why they think the images being posted are so awesome, its only going to benefit the community as a whole.

If people posting here who are members of the community see the hunger for information instead of just ass patters who hop in a thread for 10 seconds to drop a "congrats" or "looks good" then I am sure that will encourage people to post more breakdowns.

Stop being a bunch of semi retarded clapping seals who use retarded memes to express their thoughts rather than articulating themselves like an actual human being.
  • SanderDL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SanderDL polycounter lvl 7
    adam wrote: »
    Hell -- If you go in to your next project thinking you're going to 'document' the entire process, its just a better development experience all around. I promise.

I've been meaning to do this for a while. And after reading your post I might get to it finally!

I agree that I could contribute more to the Polycount and I wanted to write/record a tutorial so many times. But I always feel like I'll be misguiding people. Which is always holding me back. I guess I need to step over that.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Well shit, I was just about to drop some new arts down. Don't hate on me! I get what your saying dude, I just rather spend what little time I have outside of full time / freelance and my own projects into making new pieces and putting them out there, but now I feel guilty for being one of these guys that your talking about.

I remember Mr.Kite popped in a few months ago ( probably a year ago or more lol ) and dropped that massive zip file of goodness and I loved it and appreciate it so much. It certainly didn't even enter in to my mind to throw some hate down on him for not breaking shit down for how he achieved that stuff, or giving me incite into his thought processes at the same time.

If someone makes a tutorial - badass! Mad props and thanks for that tutorial / or incite. But should we really be expecting that?

Would you guys rather those hit and run art dumps not happen at all in favor of the help-the-community type posts??

Will these hit and run type artists be run out of town? or appreciated for sharing their artwork with the community at all?

Meanwhile we could certainly use more 'what motivates you' threads.....

Whats going on here!?
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Ive been a really long time lurker, I read pretty much every morning every thread that looks interesting and again at night before I got to bed.

This forum has been invaluable to me as a resource of ideas techniques and general knowledge.

For me I only post my work when I need a really fresh eye - when Ive been looking at something for too long. Or I KNOW the answer to someones question.

My biggest problem is that I know that there are others who can answer/explain better than I can. And why look at my work when you can look at yours Adam, or someone like EQ. There is a wealth of knowledgeable people here and I think personally its primarily intimidation. Its difficult getting over the fear of being wrong. Occasionally polycounters can be quite harsh.

In addition to this I know there are a lot of people that I know personally on this forum. That makes it also intimidating to show work, because you know they will check up on you as often as possible.

my own personal feelings. I like to keep things played close to the chest, that's my lifestyle. But I try to help people understand about what Im doing as best I can. In classes I make videos to explain workflow, and give direction. Thats difficult because its always almost 99% of the time met with discare or skepticism. Ive been told many times that "Theres no way you made that, you just followed the internet." And I hate that, I work very hard and I dedicate my time to make something look really cool. To have that slammed by someone who doesnt appreciate my hard effort is saddening..

Anyway I ramble. Im not sure that last part is even about Polycount. Ill just go back to my hole now!

edit: also, im lame compared to everyone else here. ah hah
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    while breakdowns/mini tuts are great, time spend figuring out how an artist achieved a certain thing can bring you new and better ways of doing it.
    The thinking process involved with art is a big step, especially when it comes to fundamentals.

But i got to agree that the least artists could do is give answers to the questions asked in their topic
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Great thread Adam and good points from the two sides.
    I agree with PixelMasher that if we start asking a bit more questions instead - "cool dude" this might help us all. I really dont have many questions that were left unanswered.
    In the same tame I totaly get what Hazardous is saying and the only reason to not ask questions to some of the amazing artists here is because i feel like my question is way too simple and I know they probably dont have time to answer it so I just try to save them the effort.
    I guess we have to stop somewhere on the middle...
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I agree with Pixel. There is far too much ass-kissing going on in some threads. It has nothing to do with the actual work, just how well established the poster is. Other people post work of equal quality and get ignored. Share the love.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    Even simple questions about things have merit. its not just pro's on the forum, a ton of students and beginners come here. looking in a thread and seeing a question/answer on some of those annoying yet simple problem we all encounter when starting out is awesome, because often those are the questions people are afraid are going to make them look inexperienced or dumb, but there are 20 other people with the same question afraid to ask it as well.

This is probably part of the reason people getting into 3d struggle a bit sometimes, there is so many high level / ultra low level (this is how you open max and make a teapot) tutorials out there, but its the arsenal of little tips and techniques you pick up along the way that you don't even think about anymore because they are 2nd nature that makes someone a true art beast.

There are no stupid questions when it comes to learning something. every one of the amazingly talented people who post here started making the same cube/teapot as everyone else and chances are they obtained the skills they now have by 2 things : putting in the time and effort required to refine their skills and asking questions at every opportunity they had to learn something new to add to their artistic toolbelt.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    I'm sort of curious when Polycount became a giant throbbing vagina.

So, people who drop in and just post inspirational art and just return to the shadows are getting called out but meanwhile pollution like "DERP HELP ME STAY MOTIVATED" type threads, "How do I delete my account / I won't get what I want." or high school kids talking about why they hate being asked to pay for a product. I've contributed enough, I think, to show my workflow and - yeah - if there was enough interest in something I do that I somehow haven't covered, I 'could' take a few minutes to write something up but, man, these days I just want to make my own stuff which is why I stick to WAYWO.

I don't feel that it's my responsibility to spoon feed information to an online community of people who have more or less just posted memes and bitched about shit that they don't understand. Again, I've provided more insight than most about my work - if people can't use Google, this ain't my problem.

In a way, I wish PC was more like CA. Maybe if there were less bullshit threads, heavier moderation and a more serious attitude about our craft it would be more encouraging to post techniques.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav brings up a good point. Does the stringent, elitist attitude of some forums foster more legitimate, professional posting? There are a LOT of assholes who've joined this forum since the tf2 contest who have no serious interest in learning about or discussing art. Also, NOBODY HERE ASKS QUESTIONS ABOUT ANYTHING. I haven't been asked about my workflow since i posted some knife model with a fancy spec like 2 years ago, and i don't see the much better artists than me getting many questions about anatomy or design either.

Maybe something as little as a change to the p&p description -- some paraprhase of "Use this forum to post and discuss artwork and workflow" would help foster the kind of culture you want?
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Hm, I don't think it's a problem. I love seeing artwork, and I think it's nice when people share how they do it. I don't think everyone should share their technique and backstory. I think it's a nice bonus when people do. As a viewer of people's art I'm not owed anything as far as what people share beyond their art, even if it is a community. I would like to think that I've shared a decent amount of information about my work but I'd hate to think anyone ever viewed me negatively if I just wanted to post some art and go back to working on it.