Home General Discussion

Polycount is out of the Dominance War contest, doing our own contest

Replies

• Kewop Decam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kewop Decam polycounter lvl 9
    tons more people like them. Numbers don't lie.
  • Segreto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Segreto polycount sponsor
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Is that a serious question?
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    A homage to 8-bit game characters that haven't been done in 3D already (or barely?) would be pretty awesome.

Example: some concept I was noodling about 3-4 years ago with based on one of Streets of Rage's baddies:

ysignal_full.jpg

The environments for these games were pretty amazing too, and to incorporate current generation 3D characters and environments together based on old 8-bit titles would be pretty popular for media's sake too.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Gav hit it right on the head.

There's nothing wrong with the artsy-fartsy stuff for sure, but there's nothing wrong with the mainstream stuff either. After all, it's mainstream for a reason. Because lots of people like it.

I know for myself, I was inspired to get into this field by giant orcs, ogres, elves, big giant axes, space cowboys, sharks with lazers on them pew pew, vikings, and all sorts of cool stuff like that.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    The beauty of briefs that allow artist interpretation. You can do just about anything tbh. Especially if it fantastical. So i could create a model of Boris Johnson (Mayor of Londonshire) and say, "oh, btw. This is what demons look like in my gaming universe"...(Some motorists in London probably think that anyway)

I'll be quite intrigued to see how restrictive the brief is. If at all.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Hazardous wrote: »
    I'm totally sick of seeing the same awesome paintings and epic depictions of the same subject matter in that michaelangelo style.

Michelangelo_Fat_David.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I think some of you folks are missing my point. There's nothing with the old familiar tropes. That's why they're old and familiar. And tropes. This isn't about casting aside all of those things we've had fun with over the few decades this industry has been rolling along, but broadening our horizons a bit.

It doesn't need to be a vast change either to be a little refreshing. Perhaps its something as simple as making a female game character who isn't conventionally attractive, and then keeping her that way as the inevitable crits roll into make her more pretty and bland.

It's not necessarily about making things "beautiful" or "artistically relevant" or following some classical art style (although I've gotta say I'd love to see some cubist game characters), just about keeping things interesting and maybe in some small way influencing the industry in new and interesting directions, alongside the old proven formulae.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    It surprises me that there's even much of a perceived distinction between "art" art and "game art" art when it comes to the general merit of the designs commonly associated with each-- particularly among people who make both (and I don't think I've ever heard of anyone who makes the latter who doesn't also at least have an interest in the former).

Any general subject can be viewed as a cliche, and any specific subject can be described generally. Therefore, any and every subject of any art of any kind can be viewed as a cliche.

Badass space marines may be to game-ready art as sullen pretty girls are to oil paintings, but there's still plenty that artists can do with each to make them interesting. Reducing any kind of art to "adjective adjective noun" rarely does it justice.

There's a completely workable three-dimensional space to fill with an infinitely variable division of forms and structures available to us to turn into stuff that's fun to look at-- whether that space is tied to a function as a "space marine" or a "tool shed". There are decisions to be made for the entire mass of the thing, and it's a complex artistic process. The fun challenge is making it interesting within its defined function, I think more so than defining a new function for it to fulfill.

I'm not arguing a point or anything though. I'm just typing stuff cause I've got some free time while I drop some turdage.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Well, we could do something reverse to destruction and that is construction. There is lot of alternatives to construction, both for character and environments, and we can have beauty and life in the work, instead of war and death (like DW).
    I'm gonna use fantasy and Sci.fi as example:
    - Fantasy: Construction of mage tower and golems
    - Sci. Fi: Construction of a space eden and construction machine (can be robots, or organic 'machines')
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Gav wrote: »
    Is that a serious question?

is THAT a serious question?
  • profchaos354
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fly_soup wrote: »
    whether that space is tied to a function as a "space marine" or a "tool shed"

I think I just thought of what the Polycount comp subject should be about. "A space marine's tool shed." Pretty genius, if I do say so myself.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Jackablade wrote: »
    and maybe in some small way influencing the industry in new and interesting directions, alongside the old proven formulae.

Yeah. That would be cool. TF2 is an art style. Imagine being able to say you influenced a new art style. Thats probably asking a bit much though.

The talk of "tournament" stuff in the comp intrigues me the most though.
    Does that mean rounds?
    Does it mean you create 1 character to milestones though out the comp?
    or
    Create multiple characters for each round?
    Does it mean everyone starts at the beginning or do you wait your turn?

Teams?
    Does that mean team captains?
    I hope it means creating an army.

All answers to be answered only at the release of the rules....Can't wait.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    Jackablade wrote: »
    It's not necessarily about making things "beautiful" or "artistically relevant" or following some classical art style, just about keeping things interesting and maybe in some small way influencing the industry in new and interesting directions, alongside the old proven formulae.

~ Dude, seriously. No competition or challenge on ANY forum is going to influence the industry away from breasts and guns. Humans are social animals that are psychologically hard-wired to crave sex and security. What's more sex & security than a bad ass super sexy chick with a minigun. Why should someone feel bad for making that?

I agree people should have the option to be nouveau, but removing the option to be clich
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think its feasible to try and restrict a competition to someone's particular philosophical viewpoint.

The sort of stuff that is getting discussed here sounds like perfectly reasonable things to have as one's personal goals as to how they go about their own art or participating in the a contest, but I don't see how it could or why it should be applied to everyone.

I've never been a fan of the "unattractive on purpose" mentality, and feel when used it is generally a cop-out aimed at avoiding proper critique. What are generally considered universal standards of attractiveness are so for a reason, and are not exclusive to games.

So if someone wants to challenge these norms, to me that is a great personal goal, but I really fail to see how it could be forced on a community, or to what end.
  • jimmypopali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I support this thread and everything it stands for.
    Looking forward to some competition details!
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Dreamer wrote: »
    ~ Dude, seriously. No competition or challenge on ANY forum is going to influence the industry away from breasts and guns. Humans are social animals that are psychologically hard-wired to crave sex and security. What's more sex & security than a bad ass super sexy chick with a minigun. Why should someone feel bad for making that?

I agree people should have the option to be nouveau, but removing the option to be clich
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    hmm I honestly don't see the problem...its subjective. No one is forcing you to make space marines. Make whatever you want, in whatever style you want. Even if the brief was to make a space marine you're free to interpret that however you want.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    BeatKitano wrote: »
    I wasn't going to enter domwar because of all the drama and too much work. But if it's a polycount run thing, I may try to find a time slot for that :)

/agree

I just hope the subject allows characters which aren't designed for ADHD impaired people. I was never really fond of the visual overkill of sfx, glows'n'stuff colors that resulted in most DW characters....nothing against boobs'n'guns though ;)
  • Kewop Decam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kewop Decam polycounter lvl 9
    Jackablade: funny my mainstream brother thinks borderlands looked better before the change and he doesn't care too much for what it looks like now. Guess who we make games for? HIM

Also Borderlands has staples... big man, big guns, tits in yo face

I don't get your argument. You want games to be like Dali paintings? I'm not getting it. We've had amazing styles in all the DW contest even with it's "mainstream" rules approach. I honestly have no clue what you're trying to say.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    I would love a theme that was not set into a 'genre' but focuses on a style. Like if the theme was 'Silhouette' or 'colour' or 'freedom'

Though that shit seems more like something cgtalk would do :p

How about 'Mounds'?
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Genitalia sounds like a Polycount-ish theme. Yeah? Or, or - Cats and Genitalia.
    [j.k, obviously]

In seriousness - I haven't been too active on these boards, but I love me some Polycount artwork. I'm glad that this decision was taken, and if I can squeeze the time into my day, I will at least start a project with this comp. [I tend to like briefs, and working on a project and seeing how different people handle the same brief].

Looking forward to seeing this happen!
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The truth is though that I never played a game that had characters, or even art in general, as good as what I see in Domwar or the forums. They seem to take a major hit when it comes to an actual real-world release. And yet the Domwar stuff is built more or less to specs.

So I definitely think that what we're seeing when people make art of their own volition, could be used as some benchmark for what game-art CAN look like, albeit not what it currently is.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    there is a theme suggestion thread, why are people posting what they want it to be in here? i thought this was just an announcement thread? and really who cares what the theme is? Dom war has the exact same fucking theme 4 years in a row, i dont know why people are going crazy over the whole thing, look just make a robot, man, woman, child, alien, with a weapon or magic powers.. DONE call it a day, it will work, it will fit the theme, the same theme they have always had. do you really think all of a sudden dom war would pull a 180 and make the theme gothic ballerina make out party? in the end the artist is going to interpret the theme to make what they want to. this is why even with the same theme you saw such a wide variety of work from dom war, because the theme really doesn't matter.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    I'm just saying I'd like to do something a little different. That's all. What's the big deal?
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    not really a big deal at all , if you want to do something different whats stopping you? if you want to do something stylized, or pretty, or wacky, then you can. i have yet to see any comp that strictly forbids you from doing so.
  • beta_channel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beta_channel polycounter lvl 7
    Must be in an engine...that is all.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    what a ruckus with the "non dominance war"

Already 12 pages... too much boredom? do you need a comp to do something? too bad! don't wait and make art meanwhile XD

As arshlevon said, if you want to do something different, what's stopping ya? You d0n't need an excuse called competition to do something. It's incredible, like some were like kids with the need of a teacher.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    The difference is, competitions spur you to push yourself even more than your normally would!
    It's a great experience, something you CANNOT experience while making art by yourself without a comp.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    only question left at this point is when is this happening?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    It makes me unbelievably happy that no one has asked about prizes, regardless of where the contest happens.

Cookies should not be what motivates us and it looks like they don't. Love it. <3
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    adam wrote: »
    It makes me unbelievably happy that no one has asked about prizes, regardless of where the contest happens.

Cookies should not be what motivates us and it looks like they don't. Love it. <3

You're saying we don't get cookies?

I'm out.
  • JaxisaRobot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't care about prizes...but cookies do taste good and now I want some only to find out I have none. THANKS.

Anyway, I hope this starts soon, I wanna find out what it is about :D
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    So....adam.....any idea of when the comp is going to be up? :D
  • jimmypopali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bah, we don't need prizes. Look at how much attention the side-scroller comp got and there was no prizes for that.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Baj Singh wrote: »
    So....adam.....any idea of when the comp is going to be up? :D

You haven't heard? It went live this morning and I already won.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    CONGRATS ADAM, YOUR PIECE ROCKED!
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    So 1st place gets Laptop with console, tutorial package, medal, tshirt and money yeah?
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Prophecies wrote: »
    The difference is, competitions spur you to push yourself even more than your normally would!
    It's a great experience, something you CANNOT experience while making art by yourself without a comp.

Really?

That is something that depends of each person. Some people do not need anything to make great art, and they live a "great experience" too, and the best... with artistic freedom.

Damn cookies, i really hate cookies! that's not a motivation!

BTW: a good price would be a steam game, cheap and enough good to make you happy!
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    Now everyone wants cookies?!?!?!

I want timbits! The Canadian cookie.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now I want cookies AND timbits. There's a Tim's just down the street too...

Congrats on winning this one Adam! When's the next one?
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    You haven't heard? It went live this morning and I already won.
    Ahh so now I have to wait for Dom War again!!!!:)

On a serious note, no prizes, sponsors, sorting out any fancy sites etc. Just a fun competition (hopefully with a lot of exposure). Its all about the experience :poly142:.
  • krisCrash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    krisCrash polycounter lvl 9
    Ouch. I really wanted to enter in a contest from the start, but this will do just fine - because I can still do it with you guys :D polycount is probably the most inspiring art forum I have had the pleasure of being on. As long as we can get clear dates :poly009::D!!

Well we could always have some polycount swag as a prize :thumbup: I was going to buy a shirt or two any way.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Whats this No Cookies shit.

In the words of Duncan Banatine. "I'm oot"

;)
    indian_boy wrote: »
    Yeah? Or, or - Cats and Genitalia.

Just reading this made me wince...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRWB3rtCwTY[/ame]
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11

Prize is PC continues to grow awesomer :)<3
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    really great news. Thank you, fellas, for remembering the poor enviro guys. mucho aprecciato=)

So let's go
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZZYs8nRCBg[/ame]
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    Scratch that, if its solo entries only, count me out.
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    After all the drama that surrounded DW, I'm getting a bit put off on the whole thing; so this is excellent news indeed!
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth

I'd like my prize money payed in yachts please.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Eeeeeenvironment comp, FUCK YES! I'm so very much in! But yeah, what about teams? Would be real cool!
This discussion has been closed.