Home General Discussion

Polycount is out of the Dominance War contest, doing our own contest

Replies

• praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    adam wrote: »

Whaddya think our contest is about? Characters + environments that mesh well together and would support a contest atmosphere? Hmmm...

Epic joust tournament?
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    I think you, sir

crossed the line

*jots down idea on paper

Just to take it a step further, since I'm already on this side of the line, what if the character is the environment in a character... which is also, as you said, a characterenvoirnment character.

INCEPTION

Hahaha when I read that I totally heard the inception FRANG sound.

I love the tea bag picture. Balls on point for sure :D
  • patient09
    smart move PC.

good luck with the new competition.
  • slipgatecentral
    Offline / Send Message
    slipgatecentral polycounter lvl 13
    yay for Ryan and PC team!

glad to hear things are moving

Only one issue I'm worried about is timing - are you guys want to end up with 2 constets running simultaneously or will you wait till DW5 ends?

Both options kinda suck in their own way. 2 parallel contests gonna split up the community and potentially lower the amount of participants for each one of them,

and waiting till this DW is over is pretty much like waiting for it to start - noone knows when this is going to happen.

so..when? :>
  • ENODMI
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    Wimp. Do both, simultaneously.
  • profchaos354
    ENODMI wrote: »
    wimp? don't you see his art dong up there? I wouldn't mess with that, if I were you...
  • Digital Cantina
    Offline / Send Message
    Digital Cantina polycounter lvl 11

I agree
  • slipgatecentral
    Offline / Send Message

No shit. while I can do five at the same time, what about the rest of the people?
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I'd like to see a contest that encourages people to work outside their own comfort areas as well as the comfortable archetypes that typify game art. I've been thinking quite a bit about what Zwebbie's lamentations in the on the state of creativity in the industry and the communities it supports. They can be read here:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79722&page=7
    I think he raises some very good points and it'd be great to see Polycount encourage a movement into less familiar areas of style, theme and whatever else.

Perhaps if the contest rules are already drafted and artwork being created, we can leave it for this comp, but I do think it'd be something well worth considering for future ones.
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    You admins are pretty damn awesome. You have my thanks, and I truly appreciate what you've done here! We all admire your hard work and dedication! It sure feels good to know that we are being taken care of! :)

I propose a toast!
  • Mrskullface
  • DR01D
    Will be interesting to see where this goes, looking forward to it..:)
  • KWAN
    Here,Here!

It's too bad that DomWar isn't doing so well though, was really looking forward to it. :/
  • Valandar
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    What's Dominance War?

An old, and possibly now dead, inter-forum competition, the likes of which we may never see again.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Valandar wrote: »
    An old, and possibly now dead, inter-forum competition, the likes of which we may never see again.

I've got a hunch that he was being sarcastic. :\
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    I'll try. I'll really really try. :(
  • Sauron
    Offline / Send Message
    Sauron polycounter lvl 10
    molotov is right, only question is WHEN?
  • BANG!
    I have always wanted to participate to a DW, I was really looking forward to participate this year..
    There's just so much drama , I don't think the negativity around the forums is helping.
    The delay is probably for a better organisation.

Though if Polycount organises a contest its intresting especially with environements, still it would be a big disapointement to see DW die.
  • Segreto
    Offline / Send Message
    Segreto polycount sponsor
    It would be disapointing to see domwar die, but that's what happens I guess when things are managed the way they have been. I give big props to polycount for going their own route on this and I think they'll be successful for mainly two reasons. Firstly the transparency of the admins and second because they have more than one person handling it. the lack of those two points are really the downfall of domwar... its kind of sad really. But I am really looking forwad to seeing what this new comp will be about.
  • Valandar
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Torch wrote: »
    I've got a hunch that he was being sarcastic. :\

Kinda figgered, just had to make my own opinion about DW known. It was fun, but something tells me even this one won't be what it was in previous years.
  • Sauron
    Offline / Send Message
    Sauron polycounter lvl 10
    there was too much PR about DW, i think it was better to suddenly, spontaneously start the contest every year, so everybody is like: "Hey, what is this banner about? DW? Again? Wow thats great. im in!"
  • DR01D
    Just wondering has a pc comp ben in the pipeline since the probs with the dwv pre comp? or has it resurfaced since all the delays with the main comp?? there really is a need for another large comp with a different and more unique approach..
  • JFletcher
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    Well it's a shame about the dominance war, but I saw it coming. However, great news about this new competition which I will definately be entering!

Polygonal Warfare!! :)
  • AimBiZ
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Jackablade wrote: »
    I'd like to see a contest that encourages people to work outside their own comfort areas as well as the comfortable archetypes that typify game art. I've been thinking quite a bit about what Zwebbie's lamentations in the on the state of creativity in the industry and the communities it supports. They can be read here:
    I think he raises some very good points and it'd be great to see Polycount encourage a movement into less familiar areas of style, theme and whatever else.

Perhaps if the contest rules are already drafted and artwork being created, we can leave it for this comp, but I do think it'd be something well worth considering for future ones.

Agreed!
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I've been on GA for ages but I think breaking off and having a seperate competition will be good for the PC community. Looking forward to seeing whatever the higher evils are plotting :D
  • annihilator
  • beta_channel
    Offline / Send Message
    beta_channel polycounter lvl 7
    YEAH!!!! Stupid GA dragging their feet. Though I am enjoying the T-bagging going on over on GA. :)
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Vicious thread???

we go back to the point you made yourself...everybody is not to be accounted for what a few might have said and you find "vicious"

Actually your post is one that I would have considered taking it too far...

v3psw.png
  • arshlevon
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    This is a great idea, I hope a lot of the OG polycounters enter, this could be pretty insane.
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    gogo contest time!

I want to do DW this year, maybe both??!? :o
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    urgh the drama, this really puts me off seeing so much internet drama where there should be awesome art instead.
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter

Agreed. His post got me thinking as well. I wish we could have a contest that encourages people to make something unique and beautiful in it's own right.
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon wrote: »
    Agreed. His post got me thinking as well. I wish we could have a contest that encourages people to make something unique and beautiful in it's own right.

why don't we just do that outside of the contest? make a list of every element that defines gameart today and what's wrong with it, then search for things that are inspiring and truely considered art by each individual (it's very subjective anyway) and work towards that.
    Get some sort of alternate gameart movement going where the cliches are thrown away.
  • Ferg
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    why don't we just do that outside of the contest? make a list of every element that defines gameart today and what's wrong with it, then search for things that are inspiring and truely considered art by each individual (it's very subjective anyway) and work towards that.
    Get some sort of alternate gameart movement going where the cliches are thrown away.

I like this.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Me too, dominance war entries typically are extreme game art clich
  • Zpanzer
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    Just to play the devils advocate, but...

Mr. Zwebbies idea on how we should change gameart to no longer be theese killing simoulators or generic soldier games, and make 3d thats art in their own right, seems to be counter productive to the people here who wants to get into the industry at the moment, since its what the industry demands. I'm not saying that one shouldn't do anything to stand out of the crowd.

And how would one go about creating 3d thats game related that is art on its own accord. Art is a medium that's supposed to invoke feelings in the beholder and make them relate to it, so I could go about making some disoriented 17 year old that don't know what he wants to do with his life, we can all relate to that, but making that would also give the guy that's recruiting for a studio the abillity to say "Well, that looks okay, but it ain't what we need for our games".. When working for a studio, you ain't an artist, you're a craftsman that conveys the vision of someone else.

With that said,

this contest is gonna be awesome! Compeitions are a huge motivitional factor for alot of people(I know I love them) and depending on when this starts, I'm so gonna join!
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    Let me just state that i don't have any problem with well executed cliche gameart. I love overly muscular monsters and well rounded babe gameartpieces and i will not judge people who make it since i try to do it myself. I'm not the hipster type that wants to say everything the mainstream does is totally not cewl.

My proposal on the other hand is just the "Let's try something different on our own time" approach.

I wouldn't mind a generic theme for the contest, it still gives people the possibility to try and make it special by using their own creativity.
  • Hazardous
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12

If I could go back in time, I would totally try to encourage michaelangelo to stop painting and sculpting naked men and women, or cloth draped men and women, and then I would encourage him to expand his mind and try new styles and get away from doing what he always does - because to be honest I'm totally sick of seeing the same awesome paintings and epic depictions of the same subject matter in that michaelangelo style.

*rolls eyes*

TBH I dont care what style, theme or subject matter anyone chooses, I'll still try to work what I like to make into it :)
  • murph
    Hazardous wrote: »

TBH I dont care what style, theme or subject matter anyone chooses, I'll still try to work what I like to make into it :)

Agreed. I hardly think the subject matter is "what's wrong" with game art. Amazing, unique art exists in every genre, even the overused cliche genres.

I think what everyone should be clamoring for is better art.... not different subjects. But that's just up to us, bros. :)
  • TortillaChips
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    I see where people are coming from with the make something beautiful, but it wouldn't be right to exclude the possibility of soldiers and brilliant characters that people make just because they are made a lot. I mean there are some beautiful things in past dominance wars. Something that allows people to do what they want would be cool, not based around war but doesn't have to exclude it.

If it does go down that route, I hope it's not called "Make love not dominance war"
  • XenoKratios
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    Outside the box, is another box.

With it's normals flipped.
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Its definately a nice thing to push for something fresh and interesting.

I've not really read over it all yet but im going to guess theres a spot for concept art in this competition?

ill cross post this from the awesome thread;

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLAfM1RXwRs[/ame]
  • Skamberin
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    We should all try and recreate Prodigys One Love music video.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcxnbfRYM-g[/ame]
  • Grim Tuesday
    We should think about all the truly great game characters (Gordon Freeman, Big Daddy, Adam Jensen, etc...) decide what makes them so great, and then base the contest on that principle(s)
  • Del
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    We should think about all the truly great game characters (Gordon Freeman, Big Daddy, Adam Jensen, etc...) decide what makes them so great, and then base the contest on that principle(s)

~ We already know the answer to that: The game was good.
  • slipgatecentral
    Offline / Send Message

Freeman, if pulled outside of Half-Life, would suck ass. Applies probably to every iconic game character out there. Because it's not just some awesome model but combination of storyline, voiceover, animations, cutscenes, etc.
    So in order to achieve similar result you would have to put alot more work into your entry, besides making cool pose and render. That's something beyond our possibilities. Let's just stick with what we already can do.
  • Segreto
    Offline / Send Message
    Segreto polycount sponsor
    ^ He speaks the truth.
  • Gav
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    If that's the case we should also break down why Duke Nukem, Marcus Fenix, Isaac Clarke and Astaroth are truly great game characters. The problem I have with, I guess we'll call it Zwebbie's Idea, is that it's a loud minority expressing their personal desires. Not really taking into consideration that TONS of people actually do like making big muscular dudes with guns, or chicks with tight asses and katanas...and not to mention that even MORE people like to buy those products (Madden, Gears, Call of Duty...which I know must just kill a hipster with each sale) and that those people are the audience for a lot of people around here. A lot of the times, like in the examples Grim gave (not to single you out), have a solid backbone in game design and story - not actual character art. We're here to make art assets for a product, that's it. You're not changing the world one character model at a time and, realistically, what new ground could you break with something experimental? "Hey, I used watercolours to paint my guy..." "Hey, I recreated Dali's "The Persistence of Memory"" "I created an abstract character made entirely out of 1 x 1 cubes..."

As a side note, I noticed a while ago while spying on Zwebbie that most of his work is the exact same thing he's bitching about. We have a goblin, we have Joan of Arc (arguably the most recreated female in cg), Rorshach, Cammy, etc. All seems pretty mainstream to me.

That said, whatever the topic happens to be - I'm sure you can rock out some kind of weird impressionistic style if you want but forcing other people to do it is just as lame as me forcing you to make me a space marine. And, to add to that, I hope that - unlike DW - this is actually a game art comp...so...if you do decide to lick a few toads and go all artsy, it comes down to how you technically pulled it off and how it would actually "work"
  • Del
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    Gav wrote: »
    If that's the case we should also break down why Duke Nukem, Marcus Fenix, Isaac Clarke and Astaroth are truly great game characters. The problem I have with, I guess we'll call it Zwebbie's Idea, is that it's a loud minority expressing their personal desires. Not really taking into consideration that TONS of people actually do like making big muscular dudes with guns, or chicks with tight asses and katanas...and not to mention that even MORE people like to buy those products

~ Amen.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    do tons more people really like them? or do they just buy them because that's what's fed to them?
This discussion has been closed.