Home General Discussion

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Replies

• jakelear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jakelear polycounter lvl 14
    Also, Radiant Story sounds a lot like the quest generation in Brink, except more in depth.

It seems like they have a lot more technical people on board than in previous games, what with rewriting the rendering engine and now using Havok behavior.
    I'm stoked about all of it, I'm in full hype mode.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    As excited as I am for this, I'm even more excited for the mods that will make it better.
    :D
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    HonkyPunch wrote: »
    As excited as I am for this, I'm even more excited for the mods that will make it better.
    :D

And round three of the second life population bringing their creativity to elderscrolls:

17447d1151360349-world-warcraft-oblivion-picture053.jpg

Oblivion_Claymore_mod_by_N1ghtDrag0n.jpg
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    LOL. I didn't realize people had bastardized the game that much. Still, it's completely awesome how moddable it is.
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    bounchfx, that picture just scratches the surface of how bastardized people have made it! something awful even have a series about the crazy mods.

part2_5.jpg

part 1
    part 2
    part 3
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh god.
    I always just played as an Argonian.
    Barely any modding love for the lizard folk Q_Q

after browsing those pages, it bothers me how much people wish to incorporate their sexual desires into the games they play.
  • empeck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    empeck polycounter lvl 18
    bounchfx wrote: »
    DISAGREE

Vikings are the best fucking part ! Why would they hide it?

I agree. It's funny how those screenshots from GI reminds me Rune.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    hahaha that bear's pose. Gotta stay fly.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Hahaha I've not seen that mod before but I have seen other disturbing mods. Hell one added genitalia to males for posing screenshots and let me tell you, there are some rather cringing pictures using those models.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    I thought that was a fancy tentacle monster snappin' at some birds too. I guess a bear eating a dead woolly mammoth makes a lot more sense though.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    With the exploding creativity of non-designer people, we're going to see some horrifying shit in the eventual holodeck future.

This is how I'll mod skyrim to look like:

second-life-1.jpg

It's gonna be radical.
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    “We’ve always been impressed with what the community has done with our tools. Like the Elder Scrolls Construction Set for Morrowind and Oblivion, we plan to release Creation Kit so you guys can mod Skyrim.”
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Finally got my copy of GI! Looks so freaking cool. I went to play Oblivion and just noticed the coin has the Skyrim logo on the back! Then I noticed the logo on the lore booklet. Have I been so blind all along!? It's been right in front of us the whole time! time to play some oblivion... so much hype. arg.
  • jakelear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's not so much the "Skyrim Logo" as just the general elder scrolls logo:

610334-morrowind_title_super.jpg
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stuff like that always makes me feel embarrassed to admit that I've modded the game as well.

I still want to do a giant riding ferret though.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    jakelear wrote: »

There was an oblivion: morrowind expansion?

And jokes aside, yes, its akatosh isnt it?.

Now for some trivia: there's a meaning to the three symbols in each corner of the triangle that the dragon is in, on the morrowind cover.
  • jakelear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't remember, but my hearts saying it relates to the Tribunal?
  • Arcanox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those are just letters in the daedric alphabet, they're all over the place really.

If I were to venture a guess, those three letters are TES or The Elder Scrolls...
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I can't remember, but my hearts saying it relates to the Tribunal?

Yep, three things specific to the tribunal.
  • jakelear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arcanox, you're right that they are letters from the daedric alphabet, but they don't translate to TES.

They are Aym, Seht, and Vehk. (I had to google a translation chart)

Vehk, if I remember correctly, was another name for Vivec, so I think that Aym and Seht probably represent the other gods in the Tribunal.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    and the other two being aym for almalexia and seht for sothasil.
  • jakelear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahhh, right. I guess that's why they call them the elderscrolls
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Ahhh, right. I guess that's why they call them the elderscrolls

I have it all written down, I know how skyrim will end!

But I guess my hidden agenda is that of: Even if morrowind might not look like much on the surface to first time oblivioner's, the vast amount of lore and story is well hidden inside the game, which puts elderscrolls 3 up there with deus ex.
  • jakelear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The resurgence of TES Lore has really inspired me to get in there and read through as much of it as I can. As much as anyone can argue that all fantasy is derivative of Tolkien, I think Bethesda has done a really fantastic job of creating a thorough and diverse history for their world.

I also like what Todd Howard said about conflicting stories and how, like in real life, you have people who don't believe the same things and you can get different, conflicting stories from different people.

It might be an easy way to gloss over continuity errors, but it makes sense, and that makes it fine with me.
    eld wrote: »
    I have it all written down, I know how skyrim will end!

But I guess my hidden agenda is that of: Even if morrowind might not look like much on the surface to first time oblivioner's, the vast amount of lore and story is well hidden inside the game, which puts elderscrolls 3 up there with deus ex.

Oh yeah, I'll agree whole heartedly. In fact, I've never beaten the main quest of Oblivion (replaying now.) It just didn't captivate me in the same way that Morrowind did. I remember I had the Xbox version of Morrowind, and then when I heard about the construction kit, I saved up my money (I was like 15 at the time) to buy the PC copy and a new graphics card for my parents computer. (Which was a serious chunk of change for a kid) and it was morrowind that really introduced me to game art in the first place.

I gained a little attention from the bethesda devs who regularly hung out in the morrowind irc channel as being a young, local modder and got an opportunity to hang out with them at a few meet ups, and I've maintained those friendships over the last 8 years
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    That's a great story, Jakelear. You're very lucky to have met some of the devs, working for Bethesda is my dream job. For me, that is endgame for working in the industry :D
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod

oh man! I'm noticing it everywhere now! I'm such a fool!

but seriously, stuff like that is so freaking awesome that they're able to maintain all this lore and depth. too cool.
  • jakelear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP wrote: »
    That's a great story, Jakelear. You're very lucky to have met some of the devs, working for Bethesda is my dream job. For me, that is endgame for working in the industry :D

Bethesda catches a lot of bad rap for their animations and whatnot, and a lot of those issues have hopefully been fixed in this next iteration, but it is one of a few studios in the industry where you can actually build a career and not have to worry about being bounced around every 6 months.

In the MD area, there aren't many studios, so any dev who is laid off isn't going to be able to easily find local work, and I think Bethesda keeps that in consideration.
  • daphz
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Seems like Bethesda is really paying attention to all the critcism they got.

Generic high fantasy is the last thing that comes to mind when looking at those concepts. I pray the the final game has some of that style.

Really, the more I hear about it the more promising it sounds. Question is will they be able to deliver? Because I really want them to make a game that would have such an impact on me as Morrowind, or even greater.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    man, those look great, interesting architecture too. every time they have one of these updates it just leaves me wanting to see more.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm with teaandcigs here, after reading the gameinformer article and all the other press about it all, it really does sound like they've taken the criticism to heart, which is wonderful, because it looks like it's really shaping up into something amazing.
  • NoctyQ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh man! I'm noticing it everywhere now! I'm such a fool!

but seriously, stuff like that is so freaking awesome that they're able to maintain all this lore and depth. too cool.
    Haha, I love how a friend showed me that symbol and went all Sherlock on my ass the days after the game was announced! Would have love to shove this fact in his face, but instead I swallowed all his lies... :(

Skyrim will be the best game ever. Morrowind has always been my #1 but this year will change it all.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    NoctyQ wrote: »
    Haha, I love how a friend showed me that symbol and went all Sherlock on my ass the days after the game was announced! Would have love to shove this fact in his face, but instead I swallowed all his lies... :(

Skyrim will be the best game ever. Morrowind has always been my #1 but this year will change it all.

It does sound like they're combining the best of daggerfall, morrowind and oblivion in this one. It has the potential to be the best elderscrolls so far.
  • Pix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pix
    I am replaying Oblivion and this crazy stuff happened, I just kept laughing all the time.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA7bUkxqONI[/ame]
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    Ahhhh memories.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That AI was so weird. Walking into town and finding dead people. I remember getting a beggar killed by the guardsmen, but scarcely remember how.
    There was also the time I dropped my lightning staff of incredible rape (this was it's name) on the ground, and cast a rage spell on some sheep. The farmer grabs the staff, and starts fighting back the angry sheep, the knockback from the staff sending them flying everywhere. It was pretty funny, and it escalated when he accidentally killed a random farmhand, and the guards showed up to kill him, and he wouldn't have any of it, and killed a few guards and horses with the staff before finally getting killed by one. Silly.
  • Arcanox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahhh Bruma, I was playing the other day and found those stupid Legion Foresters who are still doing battle with each other after all these years.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    So I'm reading other forums for info on this game, and NMA is just hilarious :P
    When it comes to the Visuals the new screenshots just seem not all to impressive from the textures and particularly the first person model like the weapon and hand etc. ... looks very ugly ... I thought we got rid of "ugly" hands ... the arm looks like it could be from doom or half life 1 ...
    Half Life 1.
    Totally experts in their field.

Again, years spent making games for people like this :P
    Am excited for some realtime footage soon though :)
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    A vague point can be made that those people are really the best experts. People who aren't artists look at something, and all they know is if it's "ugly" or "purdy".

Not that I'm making that point. It's just something to consider.

But yeah, sometimes you get people who demand Matrix-level virtual reality right now.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    A vague point can be made that those people are really the best experts. People who aren't artists look at something, and all they know is if it's "ugly" or "purdy".

Not that I'm making that point. It's just something to consider.

But yeah, sometimes you get people who demand Matrix-level virtual reality right now.

Completely agree, but in this case he guy used the words model and texture, he knows what goes into the process of creating those visuals, which imo sends the "people who aren't artists know what looks good" point out the window :P
    But in other situations it applies :)
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    they could at least put some thought into realizing a game like skyrim with a HUGE open world and lots of characters has different art budgets than a game like fight night with one small environment and two characters
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    they could at least put some thought into realizing a game like skyrim with a HUGE open world and lots of characters has different art budgets than a game like fight night with one small environment and two characters
    You have too much faith in the avarage "entitlement-gamer" :P
    "If it's been done here, why can't it be done there? It's just computers anyway, you just copy paste or whatever, they suck!"
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin wrote: »
    You have too much faith in the avarage "entitlement-gamer" :P
    "If it's been done here, why can't it be done there? It's just computers anyway, you just copy paste or whatever, they suck!"

This game is an Oblivion clone!
  • Geezus
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    man that sounds really great. there's a lot of changes too. the two hand system reminds me of Demon's Souls (which is a GREAT thing), as does the block/bash thing.

also, the fact that you can use one spell for multiple uses? = awesome
    bow and arrows doing more damage? awesome.
    stealth and daggers ACTUALLY being useful? AWESOME.
    and sprint? yeah boy-ee!

all the news so far has been super exciting, I can't wait.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    The combat actually reminds me alot of Dark Messiah (one of the few games built on source) That game had a bitchin combat system.
  • Arcanox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like the sound of the combat system, particularly the stuff about reducing backpedaling. That was 90% of the the fighting mechanic in Oblivion and Morrowind, stamina and special power attacks just seemed to sit at the sidelines.

Something that I'd like to know that I think Bethesda guys probably can't comment on is how well gamepads will be supported on the PC. If they're investing a lot of time in improving the third person camera, and adopting more modern fighting mechanics like timed blocks, I think throwing a bit of gamepad support is warranted.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Entity wrote: »
    The combat actually reminds me alot of Dark Messiah (one of the few games built on source) That game had a bitchin combat system.

Well, it might not be random chance, Arkane was aquired by zenimax :P

I'm also hoping they're making arx fatalis 2 using the new elderscrolls engine.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The only problem I had with Dark Messiah's combat was the fact that they had spike thingies everywhere to kick people into. It was silly.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This new combat stuff is so sick. As much as I love Oblivion, it gets a little old hacking your way through countless goblin warlords by blocking and then mashing the trigger.