Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Dr.cube
    Pogo wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQlDM3U1AR4

Near complete fishbowl hat for pyro. Haven't come up with a witty name yet, however.
    Wow, that is awesome!

May I ask as to how you got the fish to animate?
  • crazy-g
    Baddcog wrote: »
    brain_drain_icon.jpg

looks great! i hope to see it in Halloween 2011
  • PolyMonstar
    There are some great models in this thread. I only wish I had some experience with real editor like hammer. What's going on with the manconomy and the PK pack has been astonishing.
    Its about time someone posted a Groucho mask for the spy. :D
  • Pix
    Baddcog wrote: »
    Pogo, the fishbowl is awesome.

Nice chainsaw too Noors.

Got another done today, the Brain Drain. Turn it up to 11 and stimulate both left and right brain. Everything is better with engineering. Just over 1300 tris
    brain_drain.jpg
    brain_drain_icon.jpg

Is the brain inside jiggly?
  • aivanov
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    Not the most original idea, I'm sure - but this is my take on it.

spy_rose_pic.jpg
  • Ryu Ookami
    aivanov wrote: »
    Not the most original idea, I'm sure - but this is my take on it.

spy_rose_pic.jpg

If you manage to make a dagger replacement of it would be cool XD. Every enemy is diying with a rose in the back then XD
  • Sharkisss
    -Em'- wrote: »
    Sharkiss - how many polygons ?

468 Polys

ColonelBD:

How to write the qc. ? I never actually did it from 0. I just took some other models qc. and then edited it. I need the qc.
  • Pogo
    @Dr.cube

Animation is just an exported sequence smd from max. Then defined in the qc as

$sequence idle "fishidle" autoplay loop fps 20.00
  • ColonelBD
    @Sharkiss:
    Here is an example you can use:

$cd "D:Steam\SteamApps\%steamname%\team fortress 2\tf\modelsrc\player\items\engineer"
    $modelname "player\items\engineer\your_modelname.mdl"
    $model "Body" "your_smd.dmx.smd"
    $cdmaterials "\models\player\items\engineer"
    $texturegroup skinfamilies
    {
    { "your_vtf.vmt"
    }
    { "your_blu_vtf.vmt"
    }
    }
    $hboxset "default"
    $hbox 0 "bip_neck" -1.606 -4.108 -0.550 1.606 0.455 0.697
    // Model uses material "models/player/items/engineer/your_vtf.vmt
    // Model uses material "models/player/items/engineer/your_blu_vtf.vmt
    $surfaceprop "metal"
    $illumposition 0.000 0.000 -0.115
    $sequence idle "idle" loop fps 30.00

The illiumposition might be off so you may have to play around with the values so the model lines up perfectly.
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    @Polycracker,
    It's not a really original idea as far as a disguise goes, so I'm actually not surprised to see someone else has made one.
    I actually think yours looks better though, and it looks like you were more efficient poly wise. I tried to have a round edge bevel but after reworking the model a few times over the years it wasn't looking good, ended up with a cleaner version than that shot but still think yours would show up better in game. (hopefully Valve chooses it, I would wear it on my spy ;) )

@ Pix, No jiggle,I messed with jiggle bones a little bit this weekend on another object, but kept getting errors during compile. I'll try and get it working though, would be cool.
  • PolyCracker
    Hey Baddcog, yep its far from anything original, I even saw a pair on a horse in france a few years ago (true), hehe. Thanks for the compliment. Re Jiggles qc, are you using 2 curly brackets to close each bone? I know it was one of the first things that went wrong for my first jiggle test. I totally would love to see that brain jiggle! xD very cool idea btw!!
  • Dr.cube
    Pogo wrote: »
    @Dr.cube

Animation is just an exported sequence smd from max. Then defined in the qc as

$sequence idle "fishidle" autoplay loop fps 20.00
    Ahh I see, thanks a bunch. I didn't know you had to make it an autoplay sequence.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Dr.cube wrote: »
    Ahh I see, thanks a bunch. I didn't know you had to make it an autoplay sequence.

You don't even need to export an idle sequence. Just put the name of your reference smd in there. So if your hat smd is named "fancyhat.smd", put "fancyhat.smd" as your idle animation. Saves a bit of time.
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    You don't even need to export an idle sequence. Just put the name of your reference smd in there. So if your hat smd is named "fancyhat.smd", put "fancyhat.smd" as your idle animation. Saves a bit of time.

Really? I have exported those blank idle sequences soooo many times this week. Good to know.

@Poly, thanks. I just copy/pasted some jiggle bone code I found, I know I'll get it working, just have to dedicate the time to look into it a bit more.
  • ShadowBrain
    Guys if anyone could answer this that would be great:
    Can items be attached to any bone, as long as the item is skinned to a bone of the same name?
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess theorectically it's possible.

I have accidentally exported a non-skinned object ( not attached to bip_head) with the name of an existing hat (treasure_hat_01) and it just shows up right between their feet (my bip_head bones origin is at 0,0,0 - right between their feet).

So it does replace the hat, but not attached to the bone. So I suppose if it has a hats name, is attached to spine01 (or whatever) it would be properly attached and follow that bone.
  • CWalkthroughs
    Offline / Send Message
    CWalkthroughs polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys, I'm doing some work on a Scout bat replacement and using Blender one of my primary tools.

And I have made a texture for it, I just don't seem to know how to get it up on the model so I can see if it fits.

success_by_cwalkthroughs-d36c377.png

I want it to be textured whilst I am editing it, but I do not know how. Help anyone?

I'm kinda new to this stuff.
  • Colossal
    Since SNIPA went offline on Steam before I could send him the concepts, I'll just pop them here really fast (THEY ARE FOR HIM, NOT FOR YOU OR YOUR. ESPECIALLY YOU! I SEE YOU EYING THE PICTURES):

Ranslacker / <better name here>
    ranslacker.png
    ranslacker_wh.png

Soviet Slammers (redux) / Meat Beaters
    soviet_slammers.png

(Minigun Coming Soon)
  • Dashtoronto
    Colossal wrote: »
    Since SNIPA went offline on Steam before I could send him the concepts, I'll just pop them here really fast (THEY ARE FOR HIM, NOT FOR YOU OR YOUR. ESPECIALLY YOU! I SEE YOU EYING THE PICTURES):

ranslacker.png
    ranslacker_wh.png

Soviet Slammers (redux) / Meat Beaters
    soviet_slammers.png

(Minigun Coming Soon)

lol i like how you drew it instead of using a modelling program. very nice.
  • Aluca
    Contrails wrote:
    It could just be an issue with the phong settings you have in your .vmt - try bumping up the phong boost and phong exponent? If you're taking values from the existing hats a lot of them don't really have too much phong applied. As for the ushanka, I think that's because the alpha channel of the base texture is already used for a paint mask. If you have it setup fine that you can see it in HLMV, it should be good in game.
    It's working now, can't say for sure what modification made work, but thanks for clarifying some things like the the channel being used for color. Now it's just a matter of working on the spec. Thanks again
    Contrails wrote:
    As for my canteen, it's funny you mention that because that's how my original texture was (it's buried somewhere in this monster thread but it messed with the cloth material feeling - most cloth in TF2 only has solid color and noise). I don't want to go back and edit the geo at this point - I don't think anyone's going to look at it that up close. :) Right now its at 830 tris so it's just about where I want it.
    You made a point there, a lot of models at close ingame looks like that.
    Contrails wrote:
    In other news, this has been a project I've been working on for a while... electric payload cart :D

I'm almost done with the geo, just need to finish the wiring, figure out something to secure the front of the lightbulb and the sacks (going to be sacks of highly explosive fertilizer by the way), and decide whether or not to put something on the right side of the control panel. Any suggestions on these last two?

Currently weighs in at 12582 tris - going to optimize it a little so I'm aiming for around 12000-13000 tris (for a comparison the original cart is 11470 tris) and it will have LODs of course.
    Really great model. Would love to see that light bulb on in night time map. And IMO I don't think would be necessary more things on the cart. Looking forward to see it with textures.
  • JZeeba
    @Zipfinator - Thanks :). I've made the strap longer so it doesn't clip facial animations.

@Contrails - I followed your suggestion and added more tris, both on the eye holes to join them and on the top thing so it doesn't look flat. It's about 1100 tris now.

I felt the texture still looked too clean so I added some blood, here is the comparison between the two:

no texture
    asianmercenarytest27.png

clean texture
    asianmercenarytest26.png

texture with blood stains
    asianmercenarytest25.png

in-game (BLU)
    cpmountainlab0011.png

in-game (RED)
    cpmountainlab0004.png

I'm planning on submitting it soon, but it would be great to know what you guys think :). Also, couldn't come up with something to paint team colors on, so it's the same texture for both.

JZ
  • Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    the texture doesn't fit tf2 style, it should be more cartoonish more "symbolized" and no blood !
  • BanthaFodder
    @Pogo
    "The Flaming Fishbowl"?
    "Fried Fish"?
    "The Clam-Baker"?
    "Little Nemo"?
    "Pyro's Pet"?
  • nordahl154
    Offline / Send Message
    nordahl154 polycounter lvl 9
    Dr.cube wrote: »
    Finally got my hats ingame.

hatsi.jpg

I would totally wear that Gagarin helm :thumbup:
  • Don Karnage
    Meat Beaters
    I lol'd.
  • Y_M
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Can anyone help me out with what this means exactly:
    add 9 single frame, looping animation sequences to your model each corresponding to: scout, sniper, soldier, demo, medic, heavy, pyro, spy, engineer
    I know roughly what it means but am not sure what I should be adding to my QC.

I need the model SMD, then I guess I need 9 sequence SMDs that have the correct relative positions of bip_head and the hat then "$sequence *class* "class_smd" fps 30.00" in the QC, right?
    Cause this isn't working.

:(
  • Sparkwire
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparkwire polycounter lvl 9
    7fe270ddbc627b40a1181cf780495d4a.png

goddamn why is this so goddamned BIG
  • Contrails
    @JZeeba, like noors said the texture doesn't fit the art style - I'd remove the blood, and apply a yellowish color to it.

Your current texture seems like it'd be a good base to multiply some color on top of and after that I'd go through with some low opacity brushes and get some color variation going as well as some dirt/noise. Also, you have a rather obvious seam running around the rim - I'd remap that so the seam would wind up inside the fold where it won't be as visible.

@Y_M that's correct - for clarity's sake this is how it should look:
    $sequence idle "idle" loop fps 30.00
    $sequence scout "scout" loop fps 30.00
    $sequence sniper "sniper" loop fps 30.00
    $sequence soldier "soldier" loop fps 30.00
    $sequence demoman "demoman" loop fps 30.00
    $sequence medic "medic" loop fps 30.00
    $sequence heavy "heavy" loop fps 30.00
    $sequence pyro "pyro" loop fps 30.00
    $sequence spy "spy" loop fps 30.00
    $sequence engineer "engineer" loop fps 30.00

• Sparkwire
    Offline / Send Message
    can someone crit my wooden grip? 21ff2d21aab8afb1c6a95bb6ef388cf0.png
  • Base
    Offline / Send Message
    Base polygon
    I guess it's about time I announce this project I've been working on, because I need some help...

cp_dustbowl0001.jpg

So basically, she's really shiny, and I don't know why. Anyone know how I can fix that? Also, I can only get it to use the red teams texture. How do I make it use the proper texture for each team?

(If anyones curious, the character is A.B.A. from the game Guilty Gear. The texture is very WIP but I hope to have it fully completed soon)
  • Sparkwire
    Offline / Send Message
    is that what i think it is? and if it is, are you serious?
  • ComfyCushion
    God help me, I'm trying to compile an MDL with GUIstudioMDL, and I keep getting this error:

MountAppFilesystem() failed: SteamMountAppFilesystem(4294967295,4294967295,0x80bfd24) failed with error 4: Bad launch configuration

I have no idea what I'm supposed to do about this, and I've found nothing helpful after an exhaustive search online.

Nevermind, it's working now.
  • G-Wave
    Hello there, G-Wave here.
    So a bunch of G-Mod animators and I got talking one night and we brainstormed for a bit about TF2 weapons. We came up with a bunch that were just stupid and a few that were silly. We also came up with some ideas that we thought we could see in game. Hopefully I can convey these to you as best I can, with my limited Photoshop skills.
    lACLmAADGMicrowaver.jpg
    Presenting! The Wava-Fryernot the final name.

Ok, so my drawing sucks. Let me try and convey what this mess is up there.
    It's a microwave gun.
    After holding down the trigger for 1 (or 2 or 3?) seconds it will fire a blob of microwave energy, hurting the target, and setting them on fire for X seconds.
    An easy way to think of how it functions, is like the spartan laser from the Halo series, but with less, lol you're instantly dead.

Anyway about the model.

Microwave box on the back with the Microwave shielded tubing going to the front. Some sort of nifty electrical box connected to the trigger, and wired to the microwave box, and charge display.
    Charge display will be a neat thing on it.

Anyway just thought i'd throw this out there. I may try to model it or work with someone on it if they would be so nice. Either way, hit me up on steam @ Gwave612. Also sorry for the wall of text.

TL:DR : Weapon idea, shoots microwaves, may model myself or work with someone, hit me up.
  • Benvox2
    Offline / Send Message
    Benvox2 polycounter lvl 10
    do all the doctors hats have to work around his glasses or can they be removed?
  • Base
    Offline / Send Message
    Base polygon
    Sparkwire wrote: »
    is that what i think it is? and if it is, are you serious?

Were you talking to me? If you think it's a Guilty Gear character conversion mod, then yes, and yes, I am serious.
  • ComfyCushion
    Well, I finally got an item to work in-game, but the specular is SO DAMN HIGH! And I don't know what to fiddle with in the code to get it down. Any help?

item_test0000.png
  • ThePowerPlumber
    Aluca wrote: »
    Contrails: Thanks for the comment, and you're right, the in-game shot is really dark. I thought I've changed the dxlevel to 90, but still was 80 (the only way for me to play on my crappy notebook). Now it's right, more or less. The alpha channel still appears inverted within the game (the dark spot on the snout).

Still working on the texture. Basically I painted broadly some tones, then stamped some photo reference fur, and working from there by painting, mostly by projecting

All video settings are set to max, except AA. Model have 1030 tris, tex 512x512.

bearheadcomp001.jpg

Also great model, some closeup shot would be nice to see details.

This would have been a great hat to be in that item set with the bear hands. Makes a lot more sense than an Indian Headdress on a Russian man.
  • MexicanBastard
    @ComfyCushion
    You can edit in your vmt file. Look for phong, phongexponent, phongboost entries and try some lower values.

@ThePowerPlumber
    I absolutely agree with you. That Big Chief quite useless after the Chieftain (my opinion). I think I will make one for the medic too. (If he heals an indian he is an indian too, you know) Lol!
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    Well, I finally got an item to work in-game, but the specular is SO DAMN HIGH! And I don't know what to fiddle with in the code to get it down. Any help?

item_test0000.png

you should tone down the phong in either the vmt or on the phong/spec map the handle is looking like plastic due to too much of it.
  • Joker_47
    Offline / Send Message
    Joker_47 polycounter lvl 6
    Here my Demoman Hat

111ghq.jpg

I think you all have a question What is MBA ? (and why not NBA) it's Mercenary Basketball Association

Well do you like it ? Maybe I must improve this model ? Post your comment please.
  • Captain of The Chalk Ship
    Jesus Chirst, Joker! Demoman is not bald.
  • Joker_47
    Offline / Send Message
    everybody can become bald if you always work with explosives , maybe later I will change texture , but I like more this

Thanks for the comment !
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I decided I'm going to give my old unfinished wrench the tf2 treatment, here's the old high poly, i'm just working on reducing it right now.

Csw2O.jpg

Gotta figure out what words to put in now.
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    @Comfy, you should also use the alpha channel to define spec. Black is no spec which would be great for the cloth wrapped handle, but the blade should be highly polished imo.

@Joker, I think bald is fine, everyone has access to razors.

@Spark, handle doesn't look like wood because you have 'grain' going in 2 directions. The cracks should all be length wise like the one at the screw.

@JZebba, Hat looks pretty good, but the edge uv's look kind of sloppy and it's in a very noticeable spot.
  • Joker_47
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    Gotta figure out what words to put in now.

perhaps MAN CO. or Industrial, TF Industries , or even your steam nickname.
  • Captain of The Chalk Ship
    Joker_47 wrote: »
    perhaps MAN CO. or Industrial, TF Industries , or even your steam nickname.
    I would myself go with Mann Co with this one. Engineer may build his own guns, but he isn't a wrench maker. The only wrench I can see fitting for Tf industries, would be TF classic wrench.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Then my next question is, should I exaggerate anything more besides the teeth?
  • Cronotic
    @ZacD: The wrench is just awesome and I love the details, but It looks too highpoly or too realistic for TF2. Try to make the handle shorter and add a grip to it. Also, exaggerate the proportions of the wrench like the mayor part of the items do :). And yes the Mann co logo is a good idea :D

EDIT: It has too much text, try to clean it a little bit
  • Cronotic
    Jesus Chirst, Joker! Demoman is not bald.
    how do you know he's not bald if he always wears a beanie :poly142:?
  • Cronotic

ranslacker.png

The shotgun is not too original, but whatever :/