Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• RustySpannerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RustySpannerz polycounter lvl 13
    Next was a scout pack i did back in November. I took a bit more time with the presentation.
    scout_update.jpg
    I want that helmet and gun so much it's unbelievable!
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Next was a scout pack i did back in November. I took a bit more time with the presentation.
    scout_update.jpg

I want those guns!
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    Nzdjh: Thanks for the process, but how do you get the picture of all the colors?
    Thanks,
    -Ben
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    BenHenry wrote: »
    Nzdjh: Thanks for the process, but how do you get the picture of all the colors?
    Thanks,
    -Ben

Print Screen in model viewer I'd guess.
  • ComfyCushion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nzdjh, you're a life-saver. It's not quite how Valve does it, but it works! My spy hat is now functional in-game, and it's paintable!

BourgeoisBicorneIngame.png

I've also got the soldier's katana working the way I want it. Any suggestions for names before I submit it?

katanaIngame.png
  • JZeeba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Noors - Thanks a lot!, I'll try to imitate that style =). (sent u a pm as well)
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    @Comfy Cushion - how about the Samurai Slicer? Killer's Katana?(to go will the Killer's Kabuto) Warrior's Wakizashi? Tyrant's Tachi?
  • TauVertex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out. Turns out that the bones weren't oriented right in Blender. Manually adjusting them to match the bones in the Model Viewer did the trick.

I have a problem that I'm hoping someone might be able to assist me with. Just for fun and the heck of it, I'm making a skirt for the spy. Hey, does it matter if you look silly when you're invisible most of the time?
    TutuSpy.png?t=1294280883

I got the model into the game and attached to the Spy without any problems, but I'd like to alter the weights so that it's not completely stiff and will move with his legs. However, whenever I try to assign vertices to the bip_hip bones and export, I get really bad results. The vertices move, but they're way off. I've tried everything I can think of, but I'm new to this, so I would very much appreciate any suggestions.
    I've been using Blender 2.56 and the Blender SMD Tools. I don't think they're the cause of the problem, though it's certainly possible. I'd just like to rule out other possibilities first.

TutuSpyGlitched-1.png

My QC file:
    $cd "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\TF2 Models\SpyTutu"
    $modelname "\player\items\spy\spy_domination.mdl"
    $model "Body" "Tutu.smd"
    $cdmaterials "\models\player\items\spy\"
    $hboxset "default"
    $surfaceprop "default"
    $sequence idle "idle" fps 30.00

My idle.smd file:
    version 1
    nodes
    0 "bip_pelvis" -1
    1 "bip_hip_L" 0
    2 "bip_hip_R" 0
    end
    skeleton
    time 0
    0 -0.000000 50.886276 -2.263523 3.130702 -0.000000 -0.000000
    1 5.006124 3.150045 -0.861550 3.074466 0.216381 0.101520
    2 -5.006120 3.150054 -0.861551 -0.067127 0.216379 0.101521
    time 1
    0 -0.000000 50.886276 -2.263523 3.130702 -0.000000 -0.000000
    1 5.006124 3.150045 -0.861550 3.074466 0.216381 0.101520
    2 -5.006120 3.150054 -0.861551 -0.067127 0.216379 0.101521
    end

• UXDragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great stuff in here, some which I won't be surprised if we start seeing them in game :)

Anyway, here is a little something I've been working on...
    FlyVolgaBoat.png

A steam train based mini gun!

Only the flat colours at the moment, just to see how the colours look, might be changing them later, what do you think?
    (More info: http://uxd.deviantart.com/gallery/28034872)
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not bad, not bad at all. you may want to pastel-up those colours a bit, as while what you have works, its a bit on the dark side for tf'2 colour palette
    tips_palette.gif
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    lol, I love the "made in china" mark on the blade, ComfyCushion. nice phun
  • ComfyCushion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you gonna let those one-eyed bastards lord over the battlefield with their medley of assorted long, bladed implements of death? HELL NO! It's high time you good soldiers got your own long, bladed implement of death! And I can think of none better than this sword right here.

katanaIngame.png

When the armies of Hannibal invaded Switzerland on the backs of their trained yetis, they knew victory was assured, for they each carried a sword just like this one into combat! Forged from mystical, blood-and-sweat infused steel, this sword is the perfect compliment to any good fighting man's arsenal. And you know it's authentic; it's got "MADE IN CHINA" stamped right on the blade!
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Help with my chainsaw.
    Does one of you know how i can modify texturescroll speed on the run ?
    For now it has a constant speed defined in my vmt. I don't know how it could be coupled with my teeth animation (drived by bones)

How is it done in L4D 2 chainsaw massacre ?
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyQ4EwmhzmU[/ame]
    I don't have it. Does someone have access to the L4D chainsaw files ?
    Looks like for the view model, the "tooth links" are modelised and rigged, so it's a shit load of bones. But the world model ? UV scroll ?
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    I bet the teeth are rigged fairly simple. The ones on the straights could be on 2 bones.

The teeth on the flats could be on 2 bones, one top, one bottom.

the teeth on the round end could be on one bone.

The anim only needs to be one tooth long. ie: tooth number 1 only travels to the position of tooth #2. Then the anim starts over.

If they are spaced properly on the round/straight join you'd never notice that they don't rotate around the end.
  • Sharkisss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ColonelBD wrote: »
    @Sharkiss:
    Yeah, as Joker said, you get that error when you haven't created the folder that the mdl goes in. I forgot to mention that sorry.

I've put together personally a better layout guide for doing qc, It's the one I used to compile my Overdose medic weapon.

qc_4_sharkiss.jpg

It's just a better layout guide, incase its any use to you...

I fixed all the problem with the names and the directories but not i get a new error "ERROR: cannot find bone bip_neck for bbox". I understand what it says,but i just can fix it. I even dont know if im doing it good.

I extracted the model with the bip_neck bone (i added the model to skin).

Ow.. and one more question. When i used to make weapons, i used MilkShape to put the model in the right place. Do i need to do the same here, or will it just automatically appear on the bone ? I did not do the milkshape thing here.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It will be attached to the bone, but you need to position it in relation to the bone.

The hats I've been doing have the bip_head bone at 0,0,0. If I export with the bip_head bone in relation to the character then the hat is 6 feet above the head.
  • UXDragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    re.wind wrote: »
    Not bad, not bad at all. you may want to pastel-up those colours a bit, as while what you have works, its a bit on the dark side for tf'2 colour palette
    tips_palette.gif

Yes, it is on the dark side, but I was using these swatches which were in the colour guide on how to do metalz7Zne.png

Thanks for the feedback, will lighten it up some more with flat colours before I begin the details

Bit of a noob question from the colour side, but to pastel it up would mean to make the colours match what's on the tf2 colour palette? :P
  • Sharkisss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog wrote: »
    It will be attached to the bone, but you need to position it in relation to the bone.

The hats I've been doing have the bip_head bone at 0,0,0. If I export with the bip_head bone in relation to the character then the hat is 6 feet above the head.

So how do i fix the problem ?
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, if it attached only to bip_neck I would put bip_neck at 0,0,0. Then position the (whatever you're making) in relation to it.

You're realy not giving much info and a rig could be complicated. Is it using other bones? is it skinned to bip_neck at all?
    What is BBox? is that your collision mesh? or the name of the weapon?

It looks to me as bip_neck is not added to BBox objects skin modifier.
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Sharkiss: Yeah, the BBox error is given when the bones mentioned in the qc don't have any attached vertices. Checking your bones and exporting should fix that, that errors pretty unpredictable though, sometimes it works, othertimes not.

@Baddcog, the BBox is short for the bounding box :)
  • Contrails
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @UXDragon, interesting idea... it looks a bit unbalanced to me though - the front is overloaded with stuff and the drum (which is the largest part of the gun and is what I notice first) is relatively bare... I'd move those valves to the side and move the cow catcher and some of the other components down and make it bigger.

Also I'd make more use of that silver you have - in the back, most of the pieces are black which makes it hard to tell apart... making some of them silver like the screws, axle between gun and drum, etc will make it more interesting
  • ComfyCushion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Brawler's Bearskin:

Bearskin.png
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    da_chainsaw_19.gif
    lol, looks like texture scroll on the side is useless after all
    my gif is shit, it looks better in max :|
  • Dashtoronto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors wrote: »
    da_chainsaw_19.gif
    lol, looks like texture scroll on the side is useless after all
    my gif is shit, it looks better in max :|

hey Noors, will you teach me how to do that when i'm designing my weapon?
  • ComfyCushion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking crazy awesome, Noors. I'm extremely excited about this thing.

In other news, how does this look?

item_test0012.png
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey comfy Cushion, I like the hat, but I think that it looks too close to the shako, Try to add something that will throw you off from looking like the shako.
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i disagree. The shako, who's siluhette (i hate that word) is a straight cylinder with sharp corner at the top. this is a rounded shape, and a different major colour, unless you have a black shako. :)
  • ComfyCushion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really, BenHenry?

ShakoBearskin.png
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well, yes. They have the same structure/look, I'm not trying to offend you, just add something to it. Just think about it, if Valve saw your hat, do you think they would pick it? if so, then its fine, if not, then keep tweaking it.
  • BanthaFodder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Sukottoi really like the Warrior's Wakasashi myself...
  • RustySpannerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RustySpannerz polycounter lvl 13
    Would it be possible to post what your inspiration was? It's just that right now it looks off, and I'm not sure what it is.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe just add one thing to it. You tell me.
  • Dashtoronto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UXDragon wrote: »
    Great stuff in here, some which I won't be surprised if we start seeing them in game :)

Anyway, here is a little something I've been working on...
    FlyVolgaBoat.png

A steam train based mini gun!

Only the flat colours at the moment, just to see how the colours look, might be changing them later, what do you think?
    (More info: http://uxd.deviantart.com/gallery/28034872)

Two huge things missing with this:

The Steam whistle

and the

The Train Stack where all the smoke comes out from.
  • ComfyCushion
  • Gryoss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gryoss null
    Started working on a hipster scout hat.

hipsterscoot3.JPG
    scoutset.JPG

802 polys so far. Working on making it paintable/good :)

EDIT: painted and made translucent!
    scoutcollage.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    BenHenry wrote: »
    well, yes. They have the same structure/look, I'm not trying to offend you, just add something to it. Just think about it, if Valve saw your hat, do you think they would pick it? if so, then its fine, if not, then keep tweaking it.
    If you made it look furry with a few alpha planes you'd probably be fine.
    @Sukottoi really like the Warrior's Wakasashi myself...
    It's a bit long for a wakizashi.
  • UXDragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Contrails wrote: »
    @UXDragon, interesting idea... it looks a bit unbalanced to me though - the front is overloaded with stuff and the drum (which is the largest part of the gun and is what I notice first) is relatively bare... I'd move those valves to the side and move the cow catcher and some of the other components down and make it bigger.

Also I'd make more use of that silver you have - in the back, most of the pieces are black which makes it hard to tell apart... making some of them silver like the screws, axle between gun and drum, etc will make it more interesting

Good idea about moving the cow catcher, might suit it better if moved back a bit

As for the colour, its still in the deciding phase, I'm testing out different colours to see what looks good, though I am considering making most of the gun a more silver colour
    Two huge things missing with this:

The Steam whistle

and the

The Train Stack where all the smoke comes out from.

I did think about the train stack, but seeing as the source of the smoke is on the drum rather than the gun, I placed it or at least something slimier on the drum. As for the whistle... -Smacks forehead- D'oh! How could I forget that?!
  • ComfyCushion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, so I took some advice, and bulked up the Bearskin and added an additional rope decoration on the back. How does it look now?

bearskinexample2.png
  • Joker_47
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AAAh, that's much better cushion! I also like the change of texture on the orange jaw strap (black edge).
  • ComfyCushion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Rimmed Raincatcher was added because of a programming screwup during the Mannconomy update. The model accidently replaced the tippler's tricorne, and Valve decided to make it a separate item. I guess so as not to hurt the feelings of the guy who made it.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    The Rimmed Raincatcher was added because of a programming screwup during the Mannconomy update. The model accidently replaced the tippler's tricorne, and Valve decided to make it a separate item. I guess so as not to hurt the feelings of the guy who made it.

That's not entirely correct. Valve always intended it to be its own hat. They accidentally made it replace the Tricorne on release though. They didn't change it so they wouldn't hurt anyone's feelings.
  • ComfyCushion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see. With all the troubles around it's implementation, I thought it was sort of a Jag situation; left out until it was accidentally put in.

Anyway, here's a texture update for the Brawler's Bearskin:

bearskinexample3.png
  • Joker_47
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joker_47 polycounter lvl 6
    Now it's perfect i think , anyway I like it !
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    It looks a bit like sheep wool rather than bear's fur. Or fairy floss. needs to have tufts of long hairs rather than soft fuzziness
  • Sharkisss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, thanks to ColonelBD i have finished the model. (YAY)

Anyway, i got all the files that i needed, but now I need one more thing. A NAME !!!!

Any ideas gentleman ? I was thinking about something like A true Cowboys Spirit or something like it. Any ideas ?

japom.jpg

*Edit: I just tested the item and i found out that the Bolo tie does not even connect with the engineer in some cases. I dont know what to do now. I want the bolo tie to stay at its place, but thats what i get adding it on the bip_neck. Any suggestions ? Maybe that is not a problem ? Maybe i will just send it and Valve will fix it ?
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Arcaltarion Hey, I think for the AO, check this link out, this helped me alot: http://www.laurenscorijn.com/articles/ambient-occlusion-baking

Mainly, it just causes realistic shadows and stuff. Tell me if you need any more help on AO.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is something I put in for the Christmas update. It was a new wrench for engie called "Christmas Cheer"
    hammer2.pnghammer.png
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uken35643.jpeg

get your detail on the chinstrap...
  • Mizzymizzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gryoss wrote: »
    Started working on a hipster scout hat.

hipsterscoot3.JPG
    scoutset.JPG

802 polys so far. Working on making it paintable/good :)

EDIT: painted and made translucent!
    scoutcollage.jpg
    Looks better without transperency IMO