Home General Discussion

Gran Turismo 5

Well, they said it would never happen, we all thought it was a myth... the game that might never be.

It's here. My Collectors Edition just arrived at work (althouth I still won't believe it's real until I'm playing it).

Jokes aside, who's buying it? Who's excited?

I'm personally a HUGE fan of the series, Gran Turismo for the PSX literally turned me into a 'car guy'. It was the first time I'd felt compelled to race some old 80's Japanese car that at the time I'd never heard of, just to make money to gradually upgrade it.

I've played Prologue, and it's pretty, but it's just not GT to me unless you can get sereiously in-depth and geek out with upgrades/tuning.

I recently got Forza 3 having never played a Forza game before and I was blown away. Definitely the best sim racer I've played so far and with that being literally weeks ago, I hope Gran Turismo can take that crown for me again!

Replies

• rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    Im gonna be buying it, I love the series too, its always been the best racer for me for nearly a decade now.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    My copy just got shipped, should be here friday or something! :D
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Definitely going to pick it up at some point, when I've finished some more of my backlog of games to complete. I might even get a steering wheel to make it more fun, and better to play. Maybe then I'll be able to get rid of the best line option.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Definitely going to pick it up at some point, when I've finished some more of my backlog of games to complete. I might even get a steering wheel to make it more fun, and better to play. Maybe then I'll be able to get rid of the best line option.

Yeah I'm tempted to grab a steering wheel too, it looks a lot of fun with those top-end Logitech wheels. I know I'll end up wanting one of those cockpit setups though too and neither my bank account nor my living room would be happy about my in-house pitlane setup.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    I'm probably going to buy it even though I'm not a huge fan of cars, GT or racing games :p

But I did spend many many hours on GT1 and GT2.... I remember driving that insanely ugly suzuki escudo and owning everything. And doing them mega endurance things for like 3 hours per race! Torture :(

Ahh the good old 100%ing game days... Haven't been 100%ing games ever since I got PS2 (other than final fantasys.. oh and aquaria!).
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora wrote: »
    But I did spend many many hours on GT1 and GT2.... I remember driving that insanely ugly suzuki escudo

YES!

And being rewarded with the AE86 and wondering why it's worth like 250,000cr, because 'Drifting' was unheard of anywhere outside of Japan back then.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    who dont want to drive 1000 + car
    lololololol .....

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/top-gear-gran-turismo/707782
    this is VW KOMBI ! my moms parent had this car before!
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    I sadly did not have the money to get the collectors edition :( SO SAD.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    I remember driving that insanely ugly suzuki escudo
    That car won every race for me straight up. Fastest car in the game at the time.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I sadly did not have the money to get the collectors edition :( SO SAD.

Just to clarify, I bought the 'Collectors Edition' from Amazon and not the 'omfgthatissoexpensive' Signature Edition.

It was only about £20 more and for some extra cars and a 200+ page 'Driver's Guide' I didn't think it was too bad.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Picking mine up today as well. GT Forev, errm, 5, does a lot of great stuff for sure. Definitely looking forward to it. :)
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    I might pick it up. I played prologue for an hour one time and hated it. Car control was terrible, no feel for the road at all. I hope it's changed because they have a lot of cars I want to try. For now though I think I will stick with Forza 3 which has an amazing feel for the road through the controller rumble and visual queues. If I can't feel losing control of my car through over-steer or anything for that matter in GT5, I'm returning it, because as far as im concerned its not a real racing game if it has no feel for the car and road.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Getting it! bought a wheel and everything, the Driving Force GT. The only thing I dont like is that I think you have to level up quite a bit before you can get the more advanced options like damage and realistic driving... Oh-well theres a lot I dont know about the game, i just want a good simulator.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Cojax wrote: »
    I might pick it up. I played prologue for an hour one time and hated it. Car control was terrible, no feel for the road at all. I hope it's changed because they have a lot of cars I want to try. For now though I think I will stick with Forza 3 which has an amazing feel for the road through the controller rumble and visual queues. If I can't feel losing control of my car through over-steer or anything for that matter in GT5, I'm returning it, because as far as im concerned its not a real racing game if it has no feel for the car and road.

Couple reports I have seen/heard have the game essentially being gran turismo 4 with prettier graphics. The AI seems to be brainless and follows racing lines still and there seems to be little damage done to non premium cars.

I'd like to hear some first hand experiences. Also curious if skid marks made the final game, hadn't seen them in most of the gameplay videos at all.
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    I heard that only the "premium" cars would have cockpits or damage, is that true?

My ps3's laser went ker plop about a month after the warranty went up, so it's a moot point for me, but I was really let down that out of the 1,100 some cars there were 142 Nissans, 117 honda's, 111 Toyota/Acura, 95 Mazda, 71 Mitsubishi, and 23 that were just impreza wrx/sti alone....yet the american car list was horrible.

You can drive literally every Miada that was ever released, but for Mustangs you get a 2005 GT or a 2007 GT (literally nothing is different between those cars besides interior features and gas tank design). No 2011 5.0L GT (which is on the streets), no GT500, no SVT Cobras.

Then it had two Z06s and two ZR1 that were identical cars, but no standard C6 or C5, no 2010 Ralliart, no Z06 Carbon? The dodge selection was abysmal too something like 6 vipers (4 of which were GTS's), but then almost nothing else.

I know it's a japanese game, but they could have at least cherry picked some less redundant american cars...
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    Sandbag wrote: »
    I heard that only the "premium" cars would have cockpits or damage, is that true?

My ps3's laser went ker plop about a month after the warranty went up, so it's a moot point for me, but I was really let down that out of the 1,100 some cars there were 142 Nissans, 117 honda's, 111 Toyota/Acura, 95 Mazda, 71 Mitsubishi, and 23 that were just impreza wrx/sti alone....yet the american car list was horrible.

You can drive literally every Miada that was ever released, but for Mustangs you get a 2005 GT or a 2007 GT (literally nothing is different between those cars besides interior features and gas tank design). No 2011 5.0L GT (which is on the streets), no GT500, no SVT Cobras.

Then it had two Z06s and two ZR1 that were identical cars, but no standard C6 or C5, no 2010 Ralliart, no Z06 Carbon? The dodge selection was abysmal too something like 6 vipers (4 of which were GTS's), but then almost nothing else.

I know it's a japanese game, but they could have at least cherry picked some less redundant american cars...

Wow that's really lame. I'm sure there is almost no difference between 98' and a 99' Miada. That car really hasn't changed a whole lot over the years, as with many other cars.

Looking more and more like a no buy.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man this makes me wish I had a PS3. I'm a huge fan of the Gran Turismo series. Maybe I'll have to get one :P

Used to love messing with the Escudo cars settings to get it to go 1,000mph plus with the wheelie trick. Some of you guys might know what I'm talking about. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLnsxk5juMI[/ame]

Also, Car selection sounds like a bust. Theres only so many crappy old Nissans I want to drive. Needs to be WAYYYY more american cars. There should be just as many Mustang models as there are Miatas/Imprezas. Rediculous.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just played it........pure GT awesome.

I could moan about how the non-premium cars don't look that fantastic, or how the menu system is a little complex, but I'll leave that to those who give a shit about that stuff.

This is fucking Gran Turismo as I know and love it. Turn off the driving aids, buy some cheap ass used Jap car and hammer it round tracks, then save all my money to spend on upgrading it all the way even though I could afford something newer/faster.

It's perfect.

I know people aren't gonna agree though, this is a game for those who loved the first games, if youre new to the series, something tells me you might not like it.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know it's going to be fun, that's for sure. I think it's flat out pathetic that they only have 200 premium cars for 5yrs+ development, but whatever. I was never particulary fond of the physics in GT though - always felt overstated. Even still, got mine pre-ordered so I'll be picking it up tomorrow. :)
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow...

RX7 - Drift Trial - SS Nighttime - Replay :

Jaw hit the floor.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I was going to get the game but then I made the mistake of trying to watch the intro.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    I know it's going to be fun, that's for sure. I think it's flat out pathetic that they only have 200 premium cars for 5yrs+ development, but whatever. I was never particulary fond of the physics in GT though - always felt overstated. Even still, got mine pre-ordered so I'll be picking it up tomorrow. :)

They appear to have a serious problem with feature creep as well. Kart racing was added after it was leaked as a rumour. Was initially planned for gt6.

One issue my roommate noted he thought might be cause to his complaints with the gt3 & 4 was the cars felt more like they were turning around the center point instead of the wheels turning and physics playing a roll in how the car moves.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Cojax wrote: »

Actually I feel the other way around to what you posted. GT4 give me precise feed back while forza doesn't

I'm still surprised (and everyone else) that the Veyron is a standard car. (forza fanboys are eating that one up) But seriously, they could of throw more polies / sub-d it at least once to fix the edges.

Def picking up for sure. But I'm moving this week. And damn it, Over a dozen Logitiech G27' were sold at the local computer store, and are all out! (I was planning to pick one up on sunday)
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polyphony Digital is my direct competitor - it's mandatory that I give them shit :)

I do agree in a way about Keg's comment with car physics in past GT games. Sort of did feel like a center point rotation was going. GT5Prologue also had a strange sensation to it. You could yank the wheel/stick left and right real quick and the car would jaunt wildly side to side like it does in Ridge Racer or some other arcade title. I'm hoping that's been fixed in GT5 proper.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Honestly I don't think there are much american cars from the 90's-2000's that I would want to drive in a game. I think hard and can only come up with Mustang, Vette, Camaro, Viper, and they're already in the game. Chrysler I drew a blank. Although if I saw a 90's Dodge/Chrysler Daytona I'd laugh for sure.

And the balance seems about right for 60-70's era car's from all Countries (GT4 wise)
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    I usually use the in-cockpit view for driving sims or the hood view, I hope GT5 has either or I'll be passing on it and sticking with Forza 3 :D
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats this about standard and premium cars? are you telling me they actually have regular cars and then a group a sub-par quality cars?

"He pointed out that the graffiti on the Nürburgring track is faithfully reproduced in the game, although the more profane statements had to edited out. They keep updating the messages scrawled on the track's surface, just to make sure they have an up-to-date representation of the real thing. It's a hopeless task. The second the game ships someone is going to write something on the track, and suddenly the textures will be out of date. One gets a sense that Yamauchi is keenly aware of this."

are you kidding me? this, and you cant keep the same quality on all the cars? i havent played yet, but so far, the visuals look "average" and even bad in some places from what ive seen online. the physics is 50/50 between people's opinions. why exactly did this game take so long?

If its not the greatest racing game ive played when i play it, then the managers at polyphony must be the worst.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GT5 has around 1135 cars. Only 200 of those are "premium", with damage and fully modeled interiors. The rest? Ports from GT4 and GTPSP. No damage, little if any cockpit modeling or exterior geometry updates. My biggest gripe with GT has always been their focus on every model variation. I DO NOT need 45 different makes of the Nissan Skyline. There is no argument there. THEY ARE NOT NEEDED. Period. Gimme 5 tops, move on. They choose to spend their time on odd areas of the game, when it could be focused on making a better, more coherent product.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Lee3dee wrote: »
    I usually use the in-cockpit view for driving sims or the hood view, I hope GT5 has either or I'll be passing on it and sticking with Forza 3 :D

I think pretty much confirmed for the "standard" cars you will have a bumper cam and a roof cam, (no hood cam to speak of)

GT5 has around 1135 cars. Only 200 of those are "premium", with damage and fully modeled interiors. The rest? Ports from GT4 and GTPSP. No damage, little if any cockpit modeling or exterior geometry updates. My biggest gripe with GT has always been their focus on every model variation. I DO NOT need 45 different makes of the Nissan Skyline. There is no argument there. THEY ARE NOT NEEDED. Period. Gimme 5 tops, move on. They choose to spend their time on odd areas of the game, when it could be focused on making a better, more coherent product.

If you think about they probably didn't focus on the skyline's and ported them as you mentioned. and Focused on the Premium cars.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Just wondering about this Premium vs Standard thing now. I've been quoted that a high level car model costs a studio about $10.000, I think with GT5's quality that might go up to $15.000 even. And that's just the art, I can imagine setting the physics up for a game serious about these things would also take a considerable amount of time and research.
    So 200 premium cars would've costed 2-3 million. Their budget is stated at 60 million. Perhaps the 12-15 million or so for all 1000+ cars at premium level was just too much. Also it seems daunting to even find enough artists that are up to such a task, not many outsourcing companies would be able to deliver at their standard I think.
    Seems to me that 1000+ cars at such a level is just an impossible thing to expect.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting point Xoliul, I guess when you put it into that perspective it does seem understandable. In any case, the premium cars must take a fair while to make and to make 1000+ at that level of detail is most likely, as you say, near impossible.

I think there's always gonna be a trade-off, either all cars identical, and at a 'good' level of detail, or a mixture of fantastic and not so great.

Also, with a large proportion of the car list being 90s Japanese cars, if anyone is like me and has owned a Jap car from this time period, interior details weren't exactly their strong point and I think there's probably only so much grey plastic an artist can model/texture in their lifetime. It just doesn't seem worth it, when I think back to my first Honda, I'm kinda glad they didn't model the interior on the in game version :D

Having played a bit more, I really like it. If I'm brutally honest, then it is basically just GT4 with more cars and some prettier graphics. Sure Forza is a more 'accessible' game to those who just 'like' racers, and non-GT fans will probably tear this game apart picking fault after fault, but if you're a GT fan, then I really think you'll love it.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just to clarify, I bought the 'Collectors Edition' from Amazon and not the 'omfgthatissoexpensive' Signature Edition.

It was only about £20 more and for some extra cars and a 200+ page 'Driver's Guide' I didn't think it was too bad.

ah. I thought there was only one collectors edition. Probably gonna pick the game up after end of semester.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    To compare, there was only 45 cars in grid, 231-> 349 -> 400+ in Forza I II and III, PGR4 had 130. I would agree the car list on GT5 is a bit weird, I would of liked a random sprinkling of common entry level racing cars from 60's-now, a few (15 or less) silly cars, and then the rare and famous racing cars, I don't need 10 different lambos, or 10 skylines.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Glad I can get this through work for 10 bucks as I missed out on the whole "know everything about cars gene" and Burnout Paradise seems to be a far better/more fun game IMO. Just driving around a track dosnt seem all that cool, but never played a GT game so we will see. Although that car model that comes with the CE is super nice...
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    I returned mine, not for me Im afraid. The look of the non premium cars and some of the tracks really put me off. I put in alot of time today and yesterday on it and it does get better as you start to unlock the premium cars and the more interesting events become unlocked, but Ive seen far far superior visuals in multi platform racers which really surprised me. The techs all there but it just doesnt look like they spent the time to push it. Alot of the visuals actually really put me off. Some cars have super low res textures and jagged low res alphas on windows instead of having it modelled into the car. Dodgy flickering shadows, occasional screen tear, boring environments, terrible foliage in places, obvious tiling textures, piss poor damage if any, long load times, crap road surface textures/shaders, crap menus, loading, loading and more loading, huge HDD install, and annoying AI.

My issue with the environments was that it seemed they were relying on their lighting engine too much and not putting enough detail into the tracks themselves. It played real nice though, but I do think it is just GT4 but with prettier graphics, but to me the racing game has evolved since those days. Forzas still much better in my eyes. I must say though that 'need for speed shift' is really under rated as a racing game, its probably my favourite racing game now because it makes you try and nail that apex on each and every turn and race your balls off, F1 2010 and pgr4 were awesome for that too. This is just make sure you have more BHP and you will be fine!!!!

I think I was expecting way too much though. I was thinking that this game would do to racing games what Uncharted did to Action/adventure games on the ps3. Theres almost no limits to what they could have done with such a huge development time, budget and the whole not needing to make a port for 360. Just disappointed it wasnt the perfect racing game I was expecting :( IGNs review seems about right to me though, still a good game but it could have been alot better.

.......maybe didnt help that I got nfs-hot pursuit a few days ago.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool wrote: »
    I must say though that 'need for speed shift' is really under rated as a racing game

I liked Shift too, it was probably the first racing game that I'd played where I actually felt 'scared' when screaming towards a corner at high speed. I remember the Nurburgring in some 1000BHP beast stripped down to nothing but a the bare essentials for a car and physically not being able to go flat out for fear of flying off the track into the barrier.

That sounds a bit weird considering it's a video game but it is pretty intense, the sense of speed is more apparent in that game than any other I think.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shift is a great racer, but it's very arcadey. When I'm driving a racing car around a corner, my boot should not be sliding out like the back end of a caribou on ice. It's fun to play, but it's not what I would call a serious racer. Same goes for the Dirt series.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    American cars suck, why do you want more of them?
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shift is a great racer, but it's very arcadey. When I'm driving a racing car around a corner, my boot should not be sliding out like the back end of a caribou on ice. It's fun to play, but it's not what I would call a serious racer. Same goes for the Dirt series.

Josh have you been playing the console versions or PC version. Last time I played it mods definitely helped kick up the realism a lot.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I'll be getting a copy soon with a free PS3 (came as a promotion with my TV), though I've only ever played the first Gran Turismo back on the PSX so I'll be interested to see how I take to it as a complete outsider.

I remember seeing gameplay videos and screenshots a while back and being completely blown away, but so much has happened in the way of game engines since then that I'll probably be underwhelmed.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so i played it for the first time today. i played on laguna seca. on a purely graphical note, if forza 3's rendition of laguna seca was a 10/10, this games version barely hits 7/10. its *noticeably* worse.

the track surface is ... "plain" is the word that comes to mind. it might as well be a solid color of grey. there are tire marks every now and then but they are so subdued you can barely see them. theres no interesting specular highlights on the asphalt either. the sand is the same, pretty much a solid color.

it just screams bland. but, this is just one of the tracks, who knows what the others will bring. cars themselves look great though.

ive been noticing a lot of shadow aritfacts. its SUPER SUPER noticeable. they pop in and out a few times a second all the time.

as far as handling goes, i dont know yet. im playing with my new logitech force gt or w/e its called. its not my first wheel but its my first with force feedback. i cranked the feedback all the way to 10 and i had a hard time wrestling with the thing even on a straight.

haha. man. now i know why they call it the real driving simulator. this thing kicks my ass hard!

i took a 2010 dodge challenger with no driver aids to some dirt road mountain rally track and im totally struggling for control. compared to forza's difficulty settings (abs, traction, etc on/off) this has multitudes of options and difficulty settings. forza 3 is like an easy girl and GT5 is like a wild, albeit ugly, wild horse that takes you years to tame and master.

also, i installed the game to my HD and the loading times are really quick. faster than forza maybe.
  • VPrime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    Got it.. and love it.
    Heres my set up :)
    07db83ae.jpg
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    question for you GT pros out there. im playing with the logitech driving force gt wheel which has force feedback. its my first experience with feedback. so far im horrible at the game (im pretty good at forza). im hating it. but i dont know if its because of the wheel or the game. how long did it take you to get used to the force feedback?

i cant play with a controller because it uses buttons for gas/brake instead of the triggers which at least offer some amount of control and not on/off
  • VPrime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    I got used to it pretty quick.. you can also adjust the feed back int he options screen.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea, i lowered it all the way to 1. but its still messing me up sometimes.

wheres the replay button!? haha jk

sweet setup btw. did you make it? follow any plans? im interested in making one for myself
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    00Zero - you can change your button config for gas/brake in GT5 to use the triggers.

VPrime - where did ya pick up the seat rig? pre-assembled or did you just buy plans for it?

**edit
    Speaking of replays, is there honestly no way to rewind, fast forward or slow-mo? Ugh.

Oh, and I still HATE licenses. I'm not good enough to get the hardest ones so It aggravates me quite a bit that there will always be some portion of the game I will not be able to play. This is bullshit, Polyphony.
  • VPrime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    00zero, leave it at default and just get used to it. It really is great once you make use of the force feedback. You can really feel the tires sliding and the overall feel of the car.
    I tried raising mine, but it was too tough and made my arms fall of.

As for my rig, I made it my self. I found some plans online and made one. But the dimensions were off so I had to guess on a few things.. I also found that I am too short for the plans, I had to place my pedals on the ground.

I will try and find the images and upload them.

edit:
    Could'nt find the image on my hard drive.. But did find the same photobucket album that I used!
    http://s683.photobucket.com/albums/vv192/simul8r/?action=view&current=framemeasurements.jpg
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    VPrime wrote: »

Can I come over one day? I have pizza money.