Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -Em'- wrote: »
    are we constraint to make replacment model ? We can't add our weapon to the game without modifying the game ?
    The more you can do for them, the easier it is for them to drop your item in game when they get your submission. Outside of that there isn't much you can do on your own to create new classes of weapons, so you are stuck to doing simple replacements.

I think your model is a little too detailed for TF2
    "Keep things simple and clean, just enough to identify what an object is."
    I also think your texture is pretty huge, especially considering most of the detail is in the handle which is covered by the players hand =/
    "Texture sizes should not be larger than 512x512. For hats, 256x256 is usually large enough."
  • -Em'-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -Em'- polycounter lvl 8
    Vig wrote: »
    The more you can do for them, the easier it is for them to drop your item in game when they get your submission. Outside of that there isn't much you can do on your own to create new classes of weapons, so you are stuck to doing simple replacements.

Ok, that's what I thought...
    I think your model is a little too detailed for TF2
    I also think your texture is pretty huge

Yep, maybe, but I wanted to get this feeling of gold grip / egyptian treasure, so it have to be detailled as a precious treasure. Also, i think I could resize the texture to a 1024 x 512, but all TF2 weapons have some big texture : the spy pda is 2048² if I don'take mistake ^^

And i Turned the yellow color into a more "gold" texture, and the blue into grey, it's better : i need to do cool shots now, bu i don't know how I can do this in TF2 :poly127:
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, i think I could resize the texture to a 1024 x 512, but all TF2 weapons have some big texture : the spy pda is 2048² if I don'take mistake ^^
    Yep, probably because it uses images and because its part of the base set of materials that isn't Download Content. When they suggest on the sumbission page that textures should proably be 512x512 I would try my best to stick to that or smaller. Why give them more excuses to bounce your stuff?
    And i Turned the yellow color into a more "gold" texture, and the blue into grey, it's better : i need to do cool shots now, bu i don't know how I can do this in TF2
    To pull off metal you'll need to use some kind of specular or reflection mapping. You'll want to hit the Valve Wiki and read up on VMT files and their options. Probably search for Phong, specular or reflections.

I'm just tossing this stuff out there because I think its problems they might find with it, if you can get those cleared up then your chances of getting it included go up.
  • Mad Mike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A little update on my cart. Stuffed some dynamite into the crate, added some stuff to the fireplace. Jackablade, there certainly will be stockings there, it's one of the first things that came to my mind. I was also thinking of hanging Spy's mask there (opposite team colour, of course, guess who'd put it there). Still have to figure out what to do with the empty space between the crate and the fireplace. Right now it stands at 7300 tris, so there's still some left. Also, I was going to make a paintover to visualise my idea, but got fed up and dropped it.
  • lampekap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    em, i must say that that is the coolest handle of a blade ive ever seen :)
  • spetch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spetch polycounter lvl 11
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    Update on the cart. Removed the pumpkins and made it more compact.

The cauldron is going to be filled with glowing green goo and it will be jiggleboned.

Zip,

nice cauldron! Got only 1 crit
    You should think about making the handles separate pieces. The stretched quad smoothing group will be seen even more when the half lambert shader is applied. Just
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    @Noors, The cauldron is definitely not too high poly. Currently this cart is about 6k tris while the original Valve cart is about 12k. The triangle density on the bomb is much higher than what it is on this here cauldron. Also no pumpkins, sorry. The person I'm making it for didn't like them. That's why I made it more compact too.

@Arcaltarion, Sorry no pumpkins on this version, person I'm making it for didn't want them.

@Shark, there will be green goo on the inside that's jiggleboned.

@Spetch, I'm fairly sure that once it's in Source with a normal map those smoothing errors will be gone. If they aren't I'll definitely separate them though.

Thanks for the crits and comments everyone. Sorry that it's going to stay compact and with no fancy pumpkins, but this person needs this cart done by today and I don't have time to convince him to do it this way and then redo everything. Perhaps I'll fix up a cart with all of your suggestions sometime though and release it for other people to use.
  • KrookedSaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Guys. Is there a quick tutorial on how I can take a screenshot of my characters and custom props in-game? Thanks!
  • treythepunkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I made this hat alittle awhile ago and would like to see if there is anything i can improve on it.

dKUDg.jpg

ndhRI.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmHXruak1m0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmHXruak1m0[/ame]
  • TheMooseLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i know i've clogged up this place today :3, but does this painting look right?
    mtxpnb.jpg
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trey, that's a cool grill hat but it just looks like a grill sitting on his head. I think it'd be better if you made the connection from grill to head more hat-like, maybe with a suction cup or the foamy type of thing that Hard Counter uses.
  • CWalkthroughs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CWalkthroughs polycounter lvl 6
    DKK wrote: »
    Still need a name for the sword.

Samurai Slicer
  • Base
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Base polygon
    Hey guys, sorry to post again, but I'm trying to troubleshoot my gun. People don't seem too excited by it, but maybe once I get stuff working it'll get more attention.

Anyways, what I need to know is how to get custom animations to play in game. I've exported the animation as a sequence SMD, referenced the file in the qc file, and even though the weapon model shows up in game, it just uses the original weapon's animation. I'm having it replace the fan at the moment, if that has anything to do with it... Does anyone have any tips for me? Thanks in advance!
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Base I believe that the FaN is a c_model.. so no custom animations can be made for it.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    got some inspiration from a streetsweeper shotgun. Thinking that it'd make a nice heavy shotgun.

sweep_test02.jpg
  • Base
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Base polygon
    RedSheep wrote: »
    @Base I believe that the FaN is a c_model.. so no custom animations can be made for it.

Oh, really? Okay, so just tell it to replace v_scattergun and w_scattergun and it should work?
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    that shotgun model is fucking mean looking.
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Oobersli It would be pretty awesome if that got in game, I've been hoping for an alternate shotgun for at least one class (excluding the engi). I have a few suggestions concerning the back of the gun. I think you should add a little more interest in that area, so maybe you can make it look as if the stock of the gun was taken off, like in this picture: http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/3730/myweapon3s.jpg The area above the trigger in that picture looks like a viable change to make as well.

@Base If you have it correctly coded, then yes, it should.
  • Yamo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dglasses.jpg

Finally got these working, I think they're ready to submit barring any major objections. Big thanks to Zip for helping me out with some transparency issues.

Currently I have them replacing the scout's OSX earbuds and so far they seem to work well with my other hats (though I wish I had the whoopee hat to combine them with for full 50's effect). The model viewer shot seems to blow out the diffuse, so I included an in game shot where it's easier to see the brush stroke detailing

Also if anyone has any clever ideas for names I'm all ears :)
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished up the Spooky Cart. The goo is set up to constantly rotate and glow and is jiggleboned.

spookycart_final.jpg
  • Yamo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome cart!

Would be perfect if you could work popping bubbles into the liquid, but who knows if swapping the current bomb cart would support something like that
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The spooky cart looks good, any chance that you are going to upload in-game pictures/footage of the jiggle bones in action? I'm interested in seeing how it looks.

@Yamo The Stylish (maybe Stylin') Spectacles or Swanky Shades? maybe a mixture of those names... idk.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There might be particle bubbles on the goo but that's completely dependent on if my friend wants to do particles for them. I can do anything I want with the cart. It's not a replacement, it's a completely new cart. He's trying to have the map released in beta by tomorrow though so there's not much time to mess around with too much stuff.
  • Yamo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like 'shades', so I think I'll go with "Stereoscopic Shades"
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Hey, are those the same 3D glasses I saw on Reddit?
  • Yamo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure, if there's 3d glasses on reddit I have nothing to do with them :p

Got a link?
  • Swizzle
  • Yamo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, no they arent mine, but wow same design and everything :/

Not surprised someone else made a pair though, I guess they're a fairly obvious choice for the scout in particular
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    yamo, yours look better.
    transparency and such.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yamo wrote: »
    Awesome cart!

Would be perfect if you could work popping bubbles into the liquid, but who knows if swapping the current bomb cart would support something like that
    If you can get animated UV's to work they are pretty cheap ways to do bubble pops.
    LavaBubble.gif

You can also place two spheres in the same spot, then rotate them in opposite directions to get the same effect.

If you can animate scale then you're in great shape to do bubbles growing then popping.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    You wouldn't need animated UVs; Source lets you scroll textures along the U and V axes with commands in the texture's VMT. That's how they did the waterfall in Sawmill.

I don't know how to animate scale, though. As far as I know, Source doesn't allow for vertex animation except in morphs for faces, but you could probably do it with bone animation. If you weren't concerned with scale, you could have the bubbles attached to bones and then move the bones up to the surface and back down in a loop that matches the texture animation.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished up the Spooky Cart. The goo is set up to constantly rotate and glow and is jiggleboned.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3360480/TF2%20Spooky%20Map/spookycart_final.jpg
    Looks very cool, but I figure it might cause some logical issues with the players who like to stand on top of the cart :O
    Although it's probably not an issue you can do anything about, but players would probably expect being able to drown/stand in the goo.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simski wrote: »
    Looks very cool, but I figure it might cause some logical issues with the players who like to stand on top of the cart :O
    Although it's probably not an issue you can do anything about, but players would probably expect being able to drown/stand in the goo.

Meh. Not too concerned about it. There's a lot of illogical things in the game like being able to jump further by blowing up bombs near your feet or being able to blow a 400 pound person with a tiny blast of air.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meh. Not too concerned about it. There's a lot of illogical things in the game like being able to jump further by blowing up bombs near your feet or being able to blow a 400 pound person with a tiny blast of air.
    True, but those are things that are logical in a cartoony world.
    Being able to stand on top of the cauldron goo is a thing more comparable to the invisible walls that prevent you from rocket jumping on top of certain rooftops or outside the map (no offense meant).
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stump Thumper
    (Finished, need to drop it in game)
    StumpThumper02a.jpg

Lumberjack Helmet
    (Need to work on the materials)
    LumberJackHelmet.jpg

The Chipper
    (EXTREMELY WIP, logs go in, stakes come out)
    Chipper00.jpg
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simski wrote: »
    True, but those are things that are logical in a cartoony world.
    Being able to stand on top of the cauldron goo is a thing more comparable to the invisible walls that prevent you from rocket jumping on top of certain rooftops or outside the map (no offense meant).

Yeah, I get where you're coming from. I'm just not that concerned about it. If a lot of people point it out then maybe I'll have it so it kills you when you touch it but I think that would piss a lot of people off more than being able to stand on liquid.
  • -Em'-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -Em'- polycounter lvl 8
    Scale animation are not supported by source ^^
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I get where you're coming from. I'm just not that concerned about it. If a lot of people point it out then maybe I'll have it so it kills you when you touch it but I think that would piss a lot of people off more than being able to stand on liquid.
    Ah, alright.
    As long as you're prepared if it would ever become an issue.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DKK wrote: »
    Dude Vig... Thats awesome, do you plan on it shooting out wood chips like shell casings?
    Thanks, that's a good idea =)
    Scale animation are not supported by source ^^
    But squash is, kind of. You weight the sphere to two bones that are both parented to the root. You move one bone (top) away from the other stretching out the sphere. As you raise the bottom it will compress the sphere making it fatter.

LavaBubbleSquash.gif
    3dsmax2010 File: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2336353/Bubble.max

With two bones you also can do a little swelling, some jiggle and then a pop. You might not need animated or scrolling UV's. Or you can opt for the simple approach and just move one bone per rigid bubble, it depends on how detailed you want them to be.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Could you do something like this to keep the people out of the pot?
  • AGuyCalledSpyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AGuyCalledSpyke polycounter lvl 7
    Hey, I had an idea (which I WILL work on): Cluedo/melee replacements
  • AGuyCalledSpyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AGuyCalledSpyke polycounter lvl 7
    Actually, scrap that - The revolver, knife and wrench are already in-game, I have no idea how to do the rope and the other 2 are too small
  • -Em'-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -Em'- polycounter lvl 8

LavaBubbleSquash.gif

Ingenious tip ^^
  • NeoDement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What do you think?
    (if anyone gets deja vu, it's because it's a tidied up version of a hat I posted on other parts of the internet)
    render.jpgingame1.jpgingame2.jpgingame3.jpg
    (Here's a whole page of wiener jokes to save you the trouble)
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    The sausage deserves specular and i would do the mustard stroke thicker (and a blue sausage for the blu team or more brown but for both idno :|)
    Oh, and I love people who have the vintage merryweather as avatar.
  • NeoDement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Specular? I dunno, I think that would make it look like plastic?
    http://www.funfolly.com/g/hats/h1928rid.jpg

The reason that mustard stroke is so thin is because I didn't want to give it loads of geometry so it'd curve properly (nor did I want to make the hotdog top flat)

I briefly considered that, then I thought; hotdogs are red, it's kinda what they do. The fire axe and plunger for the Pyro aren't teamcoloured for the same reason.

Thanks though

(it's not that I'll refuse to change it because I'm so right, I'm just trying to defend it because it's already been submitted ;))
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    some cool looking stuff lately.

getting married in a week so I'm hoping I can hurry and get this finished sooooon.

added some more detail around the trigger area and around the drum. Also added the geo for the spring on the barrel. Looking at the original shotguns though, there isn't a whole lot of detail on the top or backside. So I'm going to shy away from loading it up with a bunch of stuff.

sweep_test03.jpg
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Get married quickly then take your time to finish this. PRIORITIES MAN
  • -Em'-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -Em'- polycounter lvl 8
    Two beauty shot of my latest work : "sarcophagi keeper" & "egyptian helmet"
    aborigen kukri and eli's hat replacment yet... Need to fix some textures issues and I will propose it do the contribute page : any advice ? crits ?

the second render is bad, i know, but there is some screens from3dsmax ^^

e55ca7e5b9a60a9c94ae149be717e.jpg
    4eab52bcecbd99eed3d52250fdb85.jpg
  • Gerre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gerre polycounter lvl 10
    NeoDement wrote: »
    Specular? I dunno, I think that would make it look like plastic?
    I actually think it could be made of plastic lol. Have you tried adding a gradient for the sausage and bread? They look kind of plain right now.
    And maybe if you make a V3 you should give the sausage a more balloony feel. I agree with Noors on making the mustard thicker and make it a more cylindrical shape. I also like the idea of making the BLU sausage brown (Spy has brown cigs on BLU, so it fits the palette).
    It already looks great though, I hope to see it ingame :)