Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Ani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ani
    Just submitted these specs for the scout. Been wanting to make this idea for ages but needed more practise first.

5118289730_a6e3c59fec_o.png
  • NeoDement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Note to self: Show everything to Polycount first.
    oobersli wrote: »
    some cool looking stuff lately.

getting married in a week so I'm hoping I can hurry and get this finished sooooon.

added some more detail around the trigger area and around the drum. Also added the geo for the spring on the barrel. Looking at the original shotguns though, there isn't a whole lot of detail on the top or backside. So I'm going to shy away from loading it up with a bunch of stuff.

woah woah that bit above the pump is way overdetailed
  • TheMooseLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i've got my model working in-game, but all the textures have gone purple-black. Does anyone know how to fix it?
  • autokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    autokey polycounter lvl 11
    I submitted these to Valve this weekend for the Engineer. I wish I had known about this thread sooner, I would have come here for feedback before submitting. I would still love to hear what everyone thinks though!

Wacky Welders:

wackywelders02.jpg
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKsq3An5T3E"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKsq3An5T3E[/ame]
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    It can't find the textures. One of your path/name in the .qc is probably wrong.
  • Atrocity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Atrocity polycounter lvl 17
    What noor said. It's even possible your .vmt may point to the wrong materials.
  • Elbagast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @NeoDement: I'd agree with Noors that team textures changing the tones for the bread and hot dog, as it would suggest different brands. Otherwise, sweet hat, I can imagine him getting really angry at customers for no reason while working a stand...

@Oobersli: Personally I'd reduce the damage to just one or two chips in the woodwork, there isn't really much more than that on any of the existing guns.

@-Em'-: Does the helmet have a normal map too? They'd probably do away with it if implemented...

@Ani: Looks pretty solid!

@TheMooseLord: That means it can't find the texture, which means it's either in the wrong place or the QC/VMT settings need tweaking to get it to look in the right place.
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, I just checked that the Gusnlinger has a lot less polys than a normal weapon! 3470 triangles. I guess it's because it is viewable by the players all the time.
    The replacement I'm doing is around 6500 and it's not finished, which means I will have to remove a couple of parts of it to fit the polygon limits.
  • -Em'-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -Em'- polycounter lvl 8
    Elbagast wrote: »
    @-Em'-: Does the helmet have a normal map too? Tey'd probably do away with it if implemented...

Sorry but I misunderstand your question (^^ French people, you know...) : yes, both sword and helmet have a difuse/normalmap/phong texture, but right now, i'm fighting with the shader to have the perfect effect I want... Not so easy :poly122: In some areas, they're glowing not like gold...

Oh, and how works the "contribute page" ? Someone have already contact valve by this form ?
  • NeoDement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle wrote: »
    It's based on the peaked cap that Stalin wore. I know it's similar to the Wiki Cap, but honestly, I think it's a bit better. I also think it wouldn't be hard to be better than the Wiki Cap.
    What a cheeky thing to say!
  • KrookedSaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The scout specs are SWEET. It's all about the tape. ;)

I've got my model working in game... I replaced the 'parasite' hat with my own model... but instead of appearing on the sniper's head, it's on his crotch! WTF? HELP!
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    NeoDement wrote: »
    What a cheeky thing to say!

I know, I know. I just think the proportions are kind of weird and it doesn't have anything very distinctive about it. I think it'd look better if it were shaped more like actual peaked caps.
  • NeoDement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's modelled after this, not a peaked cap :P (I decided to underplay it rather than overplay, I think overexaggerated features are a bit too common in hats)

images%3Fq%3Dpolice%2Bcap%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:official%26biw%3D1680%26bih%3D828%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=186&ei=1D7HTOfpKYLrOe_d3Bs&oei=1D7HTOfpKYLrOe_d3Bs&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=36&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0&tx=126&ty=23essex_police_cap_1990__mid.jpg

I decided relatively undistinct was probably a better thing for an all class hat; Remember the official guidelines? "Details can be slightly overscaled or underscaled, or even removed if unimportant."

But anyway I'm not too offended, I just kinda threw it together for the Wiki because one of their staff bugged me for it. It's not like I spent a solid week refining it or anything, heh.
    The scout specs are SWEET. It's all about the tape. ;)

I've got my model working in game... I replaced the 'parasite' hat with my own model... but instead of appearing on the sniper's head, it's on his crotch! WTF? HELP!

Heh, DON'T replace the parasite. Try the Gibus or something.

HEH
    images%3Fq%3Dpolice%2Bcap%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:official%26biw%3D1680%26bih%3D828%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=186&ei=1D7HTOfpKYLrOe_d3Bs&oei=1D7HTOfpKYLrOe_d3Bs&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=36&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0&tx=126&ty=23
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't know that you made the Wiki Cap. That's pretty cool, but why do they ask you for a hat to be made for them, yet don't ask you for kill icons? On that note, what's up with valve not using your stuff? Your kill icons are great.
  • AGuyCalledSpyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AGuyCalledSpyke polycounter lvl 7
    That entire thing that the wiener should be speculated? Well, you don't have to. Ani's hat is already SPEC-ulated *Awaits the hi-5 he will never get*
  • NeoDement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What on earth?
  • Elbagast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -Em'- wrote: »
    Sorry but I misunderstand your question (^^ French people, you know...) : yes, both sword and helmet have a difuse/normalmap/phong texture, but right now, i'm fighting with the shader to have the perfect effect I want... Not so easy :poly122: In some areas, they're glowing not like gold...

Oh, and how works the "contribute page" ? Someone have already contact valve by this form ?

My point is that in TF2 normal maps are rarely used, and Valve have not always used the ones included with submitted items, so it's worth thinking about what your models would look like without them.

The contribute page gives you a list of the required files, their formats, and how to pack them up, and the other details Valve need. You should get a notification that your submission was successful if everything worked.
  • Elbagast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know it was working a week before the MANN-conomy update...haven't submitted anything after it though.
  • Ani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ani
    DKK wrote: »
    Has anyone submitted anything recently and gotten a confirmation page? I sent Mr. Walker an E-mail yesterday, I don't expect I'll hear back for some time if at all, Valves probably wading through gigs of hate-mail. Just wondering if anyone has seen a confirmation page.

Well after I submitted my files, it sent me back to the 'enter your steam community id blah blah' page, but I entered it again and then got a confirmation page. Dunno if it's just bugged out or we're actually meant to re-enter our steam info.
  • Contrails
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elbagast wrote: »
    @Contrails: To avoid another case of me misunderstanding what you mean (even though it turned out so well last time :poly142:) do you mean that little thing sticking up from the hinge? If you do it's meant to be a stopper that prevents it from folding too far. It's been kinda bugging me and will probably go.
    No... I mean the huge metal bar with the wooden handle on the end pretty much running the entire length of the shotgun - it does make it more unique (which is what I understand you're aiming for this time around?) but doesn't look too useful from a real life standpoint.

NeoDement, gonna second Gerre on putting a gradient between the bun and the hotdog - they look fused together
  • sadies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great stuff Ani!! I would love to see those in-game-- and in my backpack!
  • Cbast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cbast triangle
    Wow, very nice stuff Em'. I lol'd at the Scout wiener :')
    I'm still working on my icethrower but i still can't manage to have a good "frost" effect. Does someone has an idea to improve/create a great effect ?

61d97df787afd54a2fea2ba9a7462.png
    (Mental ray render, not ingame yet)

I hope you'll appreciate it.
  • Blasphemy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the general look of the Icethrower, maybe a ring of tape to cover up where the darker metal arms connect with the light metal cone on the left side of the picture.

As for the frost effect, I am sure recoloring the yellow and red flame to more of a white with a faint light blue would be fine, as well as changing the sparks to an almost pure white to simulate some precipitate.

Maybe even putting some "frost" on the texture at the parts that are exposed to the nozzle, or the joints and connections between pipes would be a pretty neat thing to see.
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    as I can't have both the screen and the telegraph due to poly restrictions I have to choose.

how do you like it more?

2v1ni4w.jpg244v66e.jpg

and the final design of the other side
    35lthd0.jpg

I'm almost happy with the fingers look, but I still can find a cool way of attach them to the arm. the bones of the original model are positioned in a kind of weird angles and isn't easy to make a nice looking piece for that part.
  • NeoDement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can have both, there's a huge amount of polies you can shave off that. Especially on the key.
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maybe, but I don't think I can save enough to fit both pieces together. and I still have to make the hand piece.
    low poly modeling sure is hard!
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    as I can't have both the screen and the telegraph due to poly restrictions I have to choose.

how do you like it more?

2v1ni4w.jpg244v66e.jpg

and the final design of the other side
    35lthd0.jpg

I'm almost happy with the fingers look, but I still can find a cool way of attach them to the arm. the bones of the original model are positioned in a kind of weird angles and isn't easy to make a nice looking piece for that part.

Are you planning on having particle effects in the space between the orb and fingers?
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you are going to choose one or the other, I would recommend you use the screen.
    Although I am kind of saddened that you can't have both, I think it was a good decision to rid the model of one of the pieces. Have you decided what how the connecting hand piece is going to fit on? Are the pieces just going to hug the joint?
    Also I really hope that this gets in game, it would be really cool to use.
  • NeoDement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can pretty much cut all of the cylinder carvings/holes and just paint them into the texture, the same goes for the keyhole and the star, and the indent on the key/belt straps (and the golden button on the belt strap) Most other bits can probably just stand to lose a few segments, such as the fingers.

I'd say either this:

http://i52.tinypic.com/15nwspv.jpg

or screen only
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Bvld: the fingers are going to be connected with a metalic structure. but I have to find yet one design I like.

I'm starting to think that I should discard the "spherical joint" of the gunslinger and make a more complex hand with skinned parts

@neodement: wouldn't the holes in the metal need normal mapping? Didn't valve just removed the normals on the Frontier Justice and some of the hats? I though they were getting rid of it in every item they can
  • NeoDement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They'd look fine without normal maps, just give them some nice specular. Check out the normal map on the pistol:

Pistol.png

Hint: There isn't one, that circle is completely flat. Looks nice though, huh?
  • KrookedSaint
  • KrookedSaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NeoDement wrote: »

Heh, DON'T replace the parasite. Try the Gibus or something.

HEH
    images%3Fq%3Dpolice%2Bcap%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:official%26biw%3D1680%26bih%3D828%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=186&ei=1D7HTOfpKYLrOe_d3Bs&oei=1D7HTOfpKYLrOe_d3Bs&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=36&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0&tx=126&ty=23

Uhh... okay, but I haven't actually unlocked the Ghastly Gibus... cause I'm a HUGE NOOB. I'm actually more of a developer than a player. Anyone know how I can just unlock this hat instead of 'earning' it?

(I know, I know... I stink)
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uhh... okay, but I haven't actually unlocked the Ghastly Gibus... cause I'm a HUGE NOOB. I'm actually more of a developer than a player. Anyone know how I can just unlock this hat instead of 'earning' it?

(I know, I know... I stink)

Well it's very easy to earn it. All you have to do is start a server and have a friend join (wearing the Gibus) and then dominate him. Upon death you should receive the Gibus (that's how I got mine at least).
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    It's not very hard to "earn" it... Just dominate someone who has it already, which is pretty much everyone in TF2.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was going to do a quick Sniper melee! Dang rascal.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I think I might get started on that tomorrow. I have a pretty fancy description for it too...
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The name will have alliteration perhaps. The description does not.
  • Base
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Base polygon
    I'm running into all sorts of tech issues getting my guns animations working in game. Certain stock animation SMDs stretch the bones way out, like over 300-400 grid units away from origin, so it makes it completely impossible to work with. I'll keep fussing with it, but the gun is officially on the backburner while I work on something more realistic to my time schedule right now.

I'll try finishing up some of the hat concepts I had and post up here with updates later. I need to catch up to you guys!
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @neodement:you are right about the holes in the W_model, but in the V_model they are modeled. I guess I need to put it ingame and see what can be seen by the player and what not to delete it and use texture instead
    thanks for the tips, let's see if I can lower the tris following your advice.

2u7t3l1.jpg
  • Blasphemy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seeing as Blender is not being cooperative with me when it comes to exporting, I seem to have to resort to learning 3DS Max on their trial edition. Unfortunately, I did not happen to realize how different 3DS Max functions in comparison to Blender.

Is it possible, in 3DS Max to have 3 separated vertices combine together to form a poly? (In Blender, all you would have to do is select three vertices, hit f, and a face is made.)
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    Helped a friend do this one. It's a jackie-o-esque hairstyle for the heavy.

Less than 900 tris, 256x256, jiggle bones on the curls.

heavy_locks.jpg

Any opinions or ideas? Tried a bunch of stuff with the hair but ended up going back to flat colors and letting the shaders do the work.
  • Blasphemy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe you could try adding highlights at the places that have more curvature. The hair divots on the side of the head look too mechanically spaced apart, but I don't know how you could improve on it.

I like the blue ribbon though, I don't see any need for improvement there.
  • BreaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, having a bash at this myself now. Does anybody know of any tutorials to get your models in-game. I use Maya 2011 atm, and know that their SMD import/export function is not that well supported...played css and team fortress for a few years now but never tried anything with source sdk. Some help to get my models in-game would be awesome!

Thanks.
  • Monkeez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I gave up trying to get my models working coming from Maya. I still model them now in Maya but I use MilkShape to get them into the SMD format.

The tutorials I went off for learning how to do it were on FPSBanana but I wouldn't recommended going there anymore after hearing stories of the site being plagued with viruses.
  • BreaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Monkeez wrote: »
    I gave up trying to get my models working coming from Maya. I still model them now in Maya but I use MilkShape to get them into the SMD format.

The tutorials I went off for learning how to do it were on FPSBanana but I wouldn't recommended going there anymore after hearing stories of the site being plagued with viruses.

Yeah atm when trying to export SMD through maya im getting the error message // Warning: waitCursor stack empty.

Very Annoying

Oh and using Milkshape, is it as easy as exporting the file in OBJ format from maya, then importing into Milkshape...and exporting as SMD? Or are there any specific boxes i need to check?
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    why no one made a chainsaw fot the heavy ?
    hush, my idea !
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    cman2k wrote: »
    Helped a friend do this one. It's a jackie-o-esque hairstyle for the heavy.

Less than 900 tris, 256x256, jiggle bones on the curls.

heavy_locks.jpg

Any opinions or ideas? Tried a bunch of stuff with the hair but ended up going back to flat colors and letting the shaders do the work.

Just a some highlight strokes made with a hard brush to hint the hair strands. Additional some dark ones could be added. Should make it look much less like plastic, its also how i did it with the spy wig.
  • Sharkisss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys I need suggestions

330xkec.jpg

What colors should i choose ? Are these good ?

P.S. I the middle of the blade is carved in, and so is the handle
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    BreaK wrote: »
    Yeah atm when trying to export SMD through maya im getting the error message // Warning: waitCursor stack empty.

Very Annoying

Oh and using Milkshape, is it as easy as exporting the file in OBJ format from maya, then importing into Milkshape...and exporting as SMD? Or are there any specific boxes i need to check?

You only need to import the obj, scale and rotate it and attach it to the proper bone...

Milkshape makes this as hard as possible because it is a quality product.