Offline / Send Message
    Figured id give this a try
    binlid2.jpg
    binlid1.jpg
    Any thoughts? :)
  • Crode
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If the PvZ thing doesn't work out I supplied them with an alternate. I cant get the damn thing in the model viewer since that old plugin for softimage doesn't play nice with the new versions. :poly127:
  • Randdalf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm trying to make a Napoleon hat for the Spy (as he is French), i think the base model is good enough, but I can't seem to get the rosette and clip right at the moment (which I'm going to redo tomorrow).
    suave.png
  • ianucci
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ianucci polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the comments guys!

Bl4kie - Yes the barrels are intended to rotate, the power source is incorporated into the gun though he he. The tube at the rear will be glass and has a fragment of alien material in it :p. Your grandpa engie looks great!

Redsheep - Totally agreed with you and that and the fact I realised I had left out any supports for the rear tank led me to make some significant changes to the lower part of the gun hope it looks better.

I've also replaced the original base with a simpler I beam, partly to try and reduce the polycount, not sure it works as well however.

OK I'm hoping this is the model just about finished now

gun_new_update_1.jpg
    gun_new_update_3.jpg
    gun_new_update_2.jpg
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ianucci Looking pretty sexy there. I like the new bottom, with it's I-beam like base.
    Maybe some extra detail at the very front of the gun would look nice (but it's fine as is) and perhaps making the back handle into a slight curve so that it looks more like a handle rather than a straight rectangle of metal.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I'd ditch the base altogether. It's not like it ever needs to sit on the ground and it just looks kind of superfluous as it is.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Jackablade wrote: »
    I'd ditch the base altogether. It's not like it ever needs to sit on the ground and it just looks kind of superfluous as it is.

This. I-Beams are used for support. That one looks like it's just extra weight welded onto the frame of the gun and just doesn't flow aesthetically with the rest of the weapon in my opinion.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP of a new hat.

Scuba_WIP1.jpg
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking good, I really hope you put juggle bones on the air tube.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll probably experiment with them a bit but I'm not sure how well they'll work out. Texturing wise I'm planning to have the end pieces on the tube, the strap and the outline on the goggles black or a dark shade and the tube and rubber on the mask Red/Blu and paintable.
  • Klumpmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How do you get these files into the real game, like the Polycount hat?
  • Sgt Pepper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I'm still having bat trouble. I changed the qc but I'm still getting the same problem. Anyone else have an idea?
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sgt Pepper wrote: »
    Yeah I'm still having bat trouble. I changed the qc but I'm still getting the same problem. Anyone else have an idea?

The first thing I'd suggest if you're materials aren't showing up is to check that the material you had applied to the model when you exported to .SMD has the same name as your .VMT. The second thing I'd suggest is to check that your .VTF and .VMT are in the correct folder based on where your .QC references. If those don't work, post back here and I'll post a few more suggestions.
  • AAA_BATTERY
  • Jedah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jedah polycounter lvl 8
    Decided to do this side project. Been wanting to do something TF2 for a while now as it's style seems like a lot of fun to make assets for.

Mad hatter hat for scout. Also testing it's fit on other classes.

madhatwip.jpg

madhatterwip.jpg
  • Randdalf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just submitted this hat to Valve (and it comes in a lighter flavour as well).
    submission_preview.png
  • Sgt Pepper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    The first thing I'd suggest if you're materials aren't showing up is to check that the material you had applied to the model when you exported to .SMD has the same name as your .VMT. The second thing I'd suggest is to check that your .VTF and .VMT are in the correct folder based on where your .QC references. If those don't work, post back here and I'll post a few more suggestions.

Well, I tried the .smd thing first, and when I recompiled I checked the model viewer and got this:
    457d06akjdnakojsdikdf.png

The arm extends indefinitely on all the animations except the draw, and with the holster and upholster animations, no model appears at all.

It's definitely a start that the model re-appeared, but when I go in game I still cannot see the hands nor the bat, except when I swing it I can see a sliver of the model only for a second. Here's my qc again, hopefully something can be done.
    $cd "C:\Documents and Settings\Steve\Desktop\viewbat\output2"
    $modelname "weapons\v_models\v_bat_scout.mdl"
    $model "v_bat" "v_bat_scout.dmx.smd"
    $cdmaterials ""
    $hboxset "default"
    $hbox 0 "bip_lowerArm_R" -2.130  -5.350  -5.070  1.780  12.260  2.870
    $hbox 0 "bip_hand_R" -1.380  -0.490  -2.280  3.000  7.600  4.510
    $hbox 0 "weapon_bone" -1.720  -2.610  -1.810  2.060  27.360  1.980
    // Model uses material "models\player\scout\scout_hands.vmt"
    // Model uses material "models\weapons\viewbat\bat.vmt"
    $attachment "weapon_bone" "weapon_bone" 0.00 0.00 -0.00 rotate -0.00 0.00 0.00
    $surfaceprop "default"
    $illumposition 24.012 -8.000 -8.779
    $sequence idle "idle" loop ACT_VM_IDLE 1 fps 30.00 node raised
    $sequence draw "draw" ACT_VM_DRAW 1 fps 30.00 node raised {
      { event 5004 1 "Weapon_Bat.Draw" }
      { event 5004 8 "Weapon_Bat.DrawSwoosh2" }
      { event 5004 16 "Weapon_Bat.DrawSwoosh1" }
      { event 5004 20 "Weapon_Bat.DrawCatch" }
    }

$sequence swingMiss_a "swingMiss_a" ACT_VM_HITCENTER 2 fps 30.00
    $sequence swingMiss_b "swingMiss_b" ACT_VM_HITCENTER 1 fps 30.00
    $sequence swingMiss_crit "swingMiss_crit" ACT_VM_SWINGHARD 1 fps 30.00 node raised
    $sequence holster_idle "holster_idle" loop ACT_VM_IDLE_LOWERED 1 fps 30.00 node lowered
    $sequence holster "holster" ACT_IDLE_TO_LOWERED 1 fps 30.00 transition raised lowered
    $sequence unholster "unholster" ACT_VM_LOWERED_TO_IDLE 1 fps 30.00 transition lowered raised

• Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm.. I'd guess that's a problem with the bones. Either way, why are you making a view model? It's MUCH easier to replace the Sandman instead of the stock bat. Replacing the Sandman will allow you to replace the view model and the world model while only having to compile one model and not having to mess with any animations and such. Although I didn't read all of your other posts so maybe you're doing something other than replacing the weapon.
  • Sgt Pepper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm.. I'd guess that's a problem with the bones. Either way, why are you making a view model? It's MUCH easier to replace the Sandman instead of the stock bat. Replacing the Sandman will allow you to replace the view model and the world model while only having to compile one model and not having to mess with any animations and such. Although I didn't read all of your other posts so maybe you're doing something other than replacing the weapon.

That's probably for the best. I just figured the bat would be the easiest thing to replace, but I may just attempt to do it for the Holy Mackerel, since its the same type of thing except its a c_model, and I actually own a Holy Mackerel lol.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on my Saliferous Scuba Goggles.

Scuba_WIP2.jpg

I added tiny straps hanging off of the ends and did a ton of optimization. Right now it's at about 2480 Triangles which is still a bit too high but it's definitely better than the 2900 it was at before. I'm not quite sure what else to optimize though without sacrificing the smoothness of it all.

I'll probably try to get it down to 2400 Triangles at the least and then start UVing and texturing it.
  • Contrails
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sgt Pepper - Your issue looks like an animation one - when decompiling, your animation .smds had their root bones offset by some large amount - the fix would be to go into an unaffected animation and replace with the root bone position from there (when you compile there should be error messages which tell you the bone positions are off on which animations)

Zipfinator - wires would be helpful if you want help optimizing. 2400 tris still sounds way to high to me - I'd aim for at least under 1000
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Errr. I'll post wires in a bit, but under 1000 is really way too low especially with such rounded objects. Many of the Valve hats are over 1500 Tris, some reaching 2000 or more.
  • Sgt Pepper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay so I gave up on the bat, and I've moved onto a Bushwaka replacement!

I compiled it aaaanndd..
    a51256woo.png
    I got the model in game to show up!

This is honestly the best news I've had all day, but the texture is still not showing up. My current qc for it is this:
    $cd "C:\Documents and Settings\Steve\Desktop\machete\Output"
    $modelname "weapons/c_models/c_croc_knife/c_croc_knife.mdl"
    $model "Body" "c_croc_knife_reference.dmx.smd"
    $cdmaterials ""
    $hboxset "default"
    $hbox 0 "weapon_bone" -1.672  -3.424  -9.127  1.495  6.762  29.747
    // Model uses material "models/weapons/machete/machete.vmt"
    $surfaceprop "metal"
    $illumposition 10.310 -0.089 1.669
    $sequence idle "idle" fps 30.00
    $collisionmodel "phymodel.smd" {

$mass 1.0
        $inertia 1.00
        $damping 0.00
        $rotdamping 0.00
    }

I'm guessing it has something to do with cd materials, but I don't want to mess with it until given the go ahead.

My directory to the textures is materials/models/weapons/machete/machete.

I tried to keep it as simple as possible to avoid confusion, hope it helps.

Sorry for all these cries for help but I think after I get an understanding of it now, hopefully I won't have to come back with the same questions.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are the wireframes of the Scuba Goggles.

Scuba_WIREFRAMES.jpg

I think I'm going to redo the breathing tube so I can better optimize where the mouth piece and the top piece meet with the main tube. Also I'll probably take off a few of the segments in the Torus curve. After analyzing it a bit I think it should take off another 100 or 100 triangles.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sgt Pepper wrote: »

This is honestly the best news I've had all day, but the texture is still not showing up. My current qc for it is this:
    $cd "C:\Documents and Settings\Steve\Desktop\machete\Output"
    $modelname "weapons/c_models/c_croc_knife/c_croc_knife.mdl"
    $model "Body" "c_croc_knife_reference.dmx.smd"
    $cdmaterials ""
    $hboxset "default"
    $hbox 0 "weapon_bone" -1.672  -3.424  -9.127  1.495  6.762  29.747
    // Model uses material "models/weapons/machete/machete.vmt"
    $surfaceprop "metal"
    $illumposition 10.310 -0.089 1.669
    $sequence idle "idle" fps 30.00
    $collisionmodel "phymodel.smd" {

$mass 1.0
        $inertia 1.00
        $damping 0.00
        $rotdamping 0.00
    }

I'm guessing it has something to do with cd materials, but I don't want to mess with it until given the go ahead.

My directory to the textures is materials/models/weapons/machete/machete.

I tried to keep it as simple as possible to avoid confusion, hope it helps.

Sorry for all these cries for help but I think after I get an understanding of it now, hopefully I won't have to come back with the same questions.

Umm. There's nothing in your $cdmaterials quotes. Put "models/weapons/machete" in there. If it's not working after that then it's something with your .VMT I'm guessing.
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uploaded my old sniper onto FPSB if any one is interested: http://www.fpsbanana.com/skins/102417
  • Sgt Pepper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Umm. There's nothing in your $cdmaterials quotes. Put "models/weapons/machete" in there. If it's not working after that then it's something with your .VMT I'm guessing.

I figured it was something that easy, thanks. I just wanted to be sure before I did anything.

I'll start on the texture later today. :)
  • ianucci
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I removed the I beam, and did some different versions of the muzzle. Let me know what you think :thumbup:

minigun_update.jpg
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
  • Thrillho
  • a gentlman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, I think I will pick... 4
  • CWalkthroughs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CWalkthroughs polycounter lvl 6
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

or a more ornate 3
  • Yamo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are the "inflated" parts of the barrels based on some kind of real life equivalent? They look kind of weird to me

Also I like 3
  • ianucci
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yamo, no they aren't I was going back and forth on those yesterday and tried removing them but thought it made the gun look more unique. I'm getting a bit blind to what looks good or not now lol. I was thinking maybe I could have them as small tanks located around the barrels but as seperate parts.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    If you're trying to make the gun look a little more unique, why not have one solid cylinder at the base of the barrels similar to the cylinder on the end. It would make it look heavier and it would also get rid of the kind of weird inflated bits.

Also, I'd vote either 4 or 5. I like how the end of the cylinder thing on the end of the barrels is slightly larger than the base, but either one would look good.
  • Yamo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree, something like a solid cylinder would be cool

Or you could maybe even just shrink them a bit like this

barrel.jpg

...combined with one of your new muzzle brakes and you should be good to go :)
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on the Scuba Goggles.

Scuba_WIP3.jpg

Got the Triangle count down to 2062. I might try and get it below 2k but I'm fine with submitting it at 2062. It's taken longer to model this than I expected. Hopefully I can finish it up within the next few days and get it submitted.
  • The Scrub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @zipfinator

Maybe remove some faces from parts of the goggles that you positively will never see?
    Like some of the parts from the inside of the fastener or the Nosepiece or maybe the inside of the Snorkel(if there are faces inside of it)

Might not be much but it's something though I'm not sure if that's the right thing to do...
  • Skizot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skizot polycounter lvl 18
    Obese Taco wrote: »
    Here's something I've been thinking of, not exactly working on it, hoping someone else could.
    C2Kxs.jpg

73604a.jpg

i made this a while back... does it count?
  • kevlar jens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A Borchardt-inspired pistol for the Spy's revolver. Very close to finish, just needs a w_model and some tweaking to the texture.

Tdrtm.jpg

Model and texture by me, animations by Sparkwire.
  • ianucci
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like the scuba mask zipfinator, maybe you could have some seaweed hanging off it haha.

Pistol looks great Kevlar, give us some more angles of that beauty :)

Another update from me.

minigun_update_02.jpg
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Scrub wrote: »
    @zipfinator

Maybe remove some faces from parts of the goggles that you positively will never see?
    Like some of the parts from the inside of the fastener or the Nosepiece or maybe the inside of the Snorkel(if there are faces inside of it)

Might not be much but it's something though I'm not sure if that's the right thing to do...

There are faces inside of the nosepiece but I heavily optimized it so it's made of about 8 or 10 triangles. I'm not sure what you mean by fastener, but if you mean the extrusions where the straps connect to, there is no inside to them. There's really not anywhere else that I can optimize this to lower the triangle count by a few hundred. I'm fine submitting it at 2062 though. It's less than some of the other hats.
  • Bishop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A Borchardt-inspired pistol for the Spy's revolver. Very close to finish, just needs a w_model and some tweaking to the texture.

Tdrtm.jpg

Model and texture by me, animations by Sparkwire.

Oh that's beautiful. Looks better than the luger to me. Props to you and Sparkwire. PROPS.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on the goggles. Got them compiled and slapped on some base colors.

Scuba_WIP4.jpg

The glass/plastic floppy transparent piece is transparent but for some reason transparency doesn't work in Model Viewer. Tomorrow I'm going to do a bit of texture work on it, get a jigglebone onto the tube and hopefully have this all completed and submitted before Monday.
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    does it have AO?
    it doesn't really look like it does
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope, it doesn't have AO. Not everything needs AO though. In fact I'd say more hats don't have AO than do after looking through most of the hats texture files. Anyway, the way I UVed it AO isn't feasibile in most places. I'll test it out on a few sections and see if it adds anything though.
  • nofacej
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd switch the red and black on the goggles themselves around but leave the strap and breather as they are.
  • |UKMD| bacon face
    love the sandvich hat!!
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scuba Goggles are all ready to submit! I have the jigglebones all set up and it looks nice in game but I still have one problem to sort out before I submit. I can't get the skins to work. I'm using the same system I used for the Sober Stuntman but they blue skin won't show up. Model Viewer even says that it has the blue material loaded but it doesn't show up when I go to skin 2. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?