Home Stickies

What Are You Working On? 2010 Edition!

Replies

• achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Organic growth for a game i'm working on that takes place inside a body, going to be rendered out for 2d use in background. Anyone have any good links on how to do nice looking renders?

348niux.jpg
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
    thinghead.jpg
    Made from a cube.
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    its that 3D-coat Slaught?
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Free trial of Mudbox 2011. :)
    I´m liking it so far, gotta try out that sweet posing toolset.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Organic growth for a game i'm working on that takes place inside a body, going to be rendered out for 2d use in background. Anyone have any good links on how to do nice looking renders?

348niux.jpg

This might help.

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=79772
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Vasago: you working on 'beyond the red line' / Diaspora?

RavenSlayer: is she unhappy because she lost her jumper? :D
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Vassago wrote: »
    @BigErn & Froyok - awesome stuff!

more space pew pew

takingaim.jpg

CYLON BATTLESHIP :O Looks nice.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8

Honestly, I'd spend some more time on this before worrying about renders. Your brush strokes are still very obvious, and some areas still look unfinished.

paintover.jpg

I had to use a screengrab as it looks like you saved the original image file incorrectly.

Really push the definition of the details, and think about how the different types of surfaces would blend together. Right now, you've got several areas that haven't been touched at all, and others where your brush strokes are inconsistent and rough. In some areas, they don't flow into one another and look hastily slapped on (the ridge detail on the left curved protrusion / arm thing is a good example of this).

Since it's going to be rendered out eventually, I'd also experiment with different materials to give it a really glistening, wet specular.

It's a cool shape and has a lot of potential - I really don't know why you don't spend more time on your work. Seems like you're always in such a hurry. Spend some time on it, give it some love and take your time.
  • Niwon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your feedback Swizzle, I'll go over the model again and see if I can improve it. The feathers are a bit annoying so I might get rid of them in a new version :) Yep Unleashed, I was thinking of getting that more well defined in a rig, but perhaps I need to define the palms further in the sculpting too.

Slaught I got so addicted that I purchased Mudbox 2011, It is worth every penny. Careful the trial will get you hooked ;)
  • gaganjain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on Predator head building forms
    Predatorwip1.jpg
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    I got inspired by the great work of PhilipK and his great tutorials. Thanks for this buddy. Anyway, I wanted to try this out myself so here we go with a generic sci-Fi wall element. I hope you like it. c&c always welcome.

scifi_floor_promo.png
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    Almost there, next step is zbrush tightening with dam standard all over :>

128128854757.jpg

128128891593.jpg
  • Flow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano > great Job !!!

I work on a part for a modular church.
    First screen in UDK, the other on maya viewport. 1192 tris.

eglise03.jpg
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    nice progress BeatKitano :D
  • pitman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lookin good Kitano
    A WIP UDK Enviro. Any Crits are more than welcome.
    RenderWIP3.jpg?t=1281293122
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
    Hi Guys, thought i'd just share the fruits of my labor for the past 3 days.

Been working on a technical shader for the UDK that procedurally blends in a texture onto a rock mesh based off of that rock's height map in combination with the worldpsace up vector. In addition, there is a parameter that enables you to use a WindSpace and Direction Actor to control exactly what vector angle the snow is going to be blending in on your rock.

This is really useful for something like snow or sand. Included is a 2 part demonstration that shows some of the different parameters of the material, as well as some of the applications it can have on a quick mini environment i have made.

part 1

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otedqKHET1w[/ame]

part 2

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXl3z_Zcyck[/ame]

Let me know what you guys think :D
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Your voice sounds so different in videos man :P

This is such a great way of demonstrating this shader! This should get a lot of people excited man, glad you chose to pimp some of it :)
  • Laughing_Bun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Laughing_Bun polycounter lvl 17
    I think that the shader Is amazing! I want it. Great job
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    Way to go Virtuosic.. very well done indeed.. I really like how you took the shader to those extra extremes and made the matinee animations, as well as the wind direction speed actor.. very sick dude
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    Finally got the high poly wall sections to a finished state. I plan on re-making the pillars which go in between each wall section.

finishedwallsections.jpg

Let me know what you think
  • Checko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Checko polycounter lvl 6
    Prophecies! Scene looks fantastic. Good work
  • Noia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noia polycounter lvl 13
    I've been working on my normal map for my low poly camera. There's a lot more to be fixed up, but I like where it's going so far. Suggestions welcome :)

camerawip.jpg
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Virtuosic - really nice tutorial man.

Here's another obligatory space pew pew shot. Only content in the screeny I didn't make is the Raptor model/tex.

slusho2.jpg
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noia wrote: »
    I've been working on my normal map for my low poly camera. There's a lot more to be fixed up, but I like where it's going so far. Suggestions welcome :)

camerawip.jpg

The bake seems to be working fine but the topology could use some work, there are lots of loops that could be removed without loss in detail and other areas that are blocky that could use a few more loops to be rounded out.
  • trancerobot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trancerobot polycounter lvl 7
    I'm ready to be eviscerated...

milJeep01.jpg
  • Medestruit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More

morebites2.jpg

And another...

bleh.jpg

I'll get back to more traditional Polycount suitable art at some point, I promise -.-
  • downarmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    downarmy polycounter lvl 7
    BeatKitano wrote: »
    Almost there, next step is zbrush tightening with dam standard all over :>

128128854757.jpg

128128891593.jpg

NICE ONE love the xenomorph!
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks felipe and dan, yeah i wasnt quite done in that first shot. Anyways, all the tuts i see talk about exporting multiple images with different lighting setups/materials/settings, but in PS how do i combine them? Multiply layers? Or does it depend on the materials.... hmmmm..

2u969z8.jpg
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    The best anti-duck device money can buy!
    dynamite01.jpg
  • jerry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Virtuosic wrote: »
    Hi Guys, thought i'd just share the fruits of my labor for the past 3 days.

Been working on a technical shader for the UDK that procedurally blends in a texture onto a rock mesh based off of that rock's height map in combination with the worldpsace up vector. In addition, there is a parameter that enables you to use a WindSpace and Direction Actor to control exactly what vector angle the snow is going to be blending in on your rock.

This is really useful for something like snow or sand. Included is a 2 part demonstration that shows some of the different parameters of the material, as well as some of the applications it can have on a quick mini environment i have made.

part 1
    -cut-

part 2
    -cut-

Let me know what you guys think :D

Awesome, i've been thinking about making something like this but the problem
    is that props generally do not have heightmaps which makes it a bit more tricky or even impossible to do. Do you have any thoughts on just using a normal map and trying to use it as a heightmap in some way?
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Virtuosic: That is nothing short of astounding!

Creepy owl men. Pretty mysterious if you ask me.
    08-09-2010_owlman.jpg
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome idea Makkon. I'm sure Darth Vader would shit his pants when challenging Darth Owl. :)
  • Fireflights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fireflights polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome, Makkon. Simple yet effective :P
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks felipe and dan, yeah i wasnt quite done in that first shot. Anyways, all the tuts i see talk about exporting multiple images with different lighting setups/materials/settings, but in PS how do i combine them? Multiply layers? Or does it depend on the materials.... hmmmm..

2u969z8.jpg

Yeah, man, get them into multiple layers and use different blending modes. Should be pretty intuitive for a couple of passes (AO pass goes above diffuse pass in multiply, for example) but there's also some trial and error, experimentation can get you awesome results.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    jerry wrote: »
    is that props generally do not have heightmaps which makes it a bit more tricky or even impossible to do. Do you have any thoughts on just using a normal map and trying to use it as a heightmap in some way?

xnormal has a normal to heightmap conversion I believe.
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    jerry wrote: »

just use the AO bake.
    you could use the blue channel of the normal map but you'll have to blur and tweak it, since it has information only in the areas of surface change which doesn't necessarily mean that it's only in the recessed parts.
    it's actually really easy to implement and not all that expensive but will still look inferior compared to just using a proper AO or cavity bake and might be more expensive than that too.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    That's awesome Makkon. Would be a real cool character to find roaming a snowy wasteland :D
  • downarmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    downarmy polycounter lvl 7
    working on a old boat almost done after months of idle progress

webboatwip.png
  • NBLM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NBLM polycounter lvl 13
    I'am doing this joan of arc tutorial. again. The first thing i have done after starting 3ds max the first time, i tryed to do this tutorial, but i failed. Now i come back
    and do it again, and it's so easy :P This will be my first character.
    joanofarc.jpg
    joanofarc.jpg
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    Finally got a good bake at 1AM last night, time to get on the second variation and then its in to UDK. Damn I'm slow at this...

bake.png
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty much finished my environment here. Just need to see what I can do about this terrible floor, and it's over! :D
    70s7.jpg
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn Makkon, I love your stuff!

Gonna make a thread for this guy soon.
    thinge35t.jpg

Ignore the chest and shoulders, there will be armor covering up the fail.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    Prophecies. If you can, I would try to add in a lintel to the walls in the background. They need something to cap them off and make them a little more interesting instead of just a tileable texture on a bsp... maybe even some stuff in the distant background that is visible over the tops like moutains or through the doorways like landscape of some sort. Other than that, and like you said, the floor could use a little more umph. Another great piece!
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I'll be finishing those touches today. Possibly just a matte painting of a background or something. Thanks !
  • jerry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xnormal has a normal to heightmap conversion I believe.

I know, the problem is not to make the heightmaps but the problem is making a scene with quite a bit of different meshes and props. It might turn out to be too much work for what we need / want. Thanks for your thoughts though :)
    divi wrote: »
    just use the AO bake.
    you could use the blue channel of the normal map but you'll have to blur and tweak it, since it has information only in the areas of surface change which doesn't necessarily mean that it's only in the recessed parts.
    it's actually really easy to implement and not all that expensive but will still look inferior compared to just using a proper AO or cavity bake and might be more expensive than that too.

Interesting stuff, i will look into this. Thx :)
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    fwhtc_mray_testout.jpg
    the lighting and DOF/focus range is WIP, the character asset definitely isn't (even if it could use some work - like always...).

been playing with rendering game assets out for the folio recently. so far i have almost always used bare viewport screenshots but i'm growing to like to faking it a bit more.
    if only the shadows weren't doing some weird stuff in some angles.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    how laggy does your compy get on that alien in 3d coat beatkitano, and what are your specs, my compy always feels laggy with voxels, and i think i have cuda enabled too.... 2.5ghz core2quad 8gig ram, 64bit vista, geforce gt230 here
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    how laggy does your compy get on that alien in 3d coat beatkitano, and what are your specs, my compy always feels laggy with voxels, and i think i have cuda enabled too.... 2.5ghz core2quad 8gig ram, 64bit vista, geforce gt230 here

I don't lag one bit, except when using pose tool.

My comp is i7 960, 12go ddr3, gf gtx 480, 64 bits seven. I call it Mr.monster.

Voxels are great but they suffer from the "all smooth uncreasable clay" syndrome. Polys are still way better for that part (hence zbrush refining)
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp wrote: »
    fwhtc_mray_testout.jpg
    the lighting and DOF/focus range is WIP, the character asset definitely isn't (even if it could use some work - like always...).

been playing with rendering game assets out for the folio recently. so far i have almost always used bare viewport screenshots but i'm growing to like to faking it a bit more.
    if only the shadows weren't doing some weird stuff in some angles.

just a couple thoughts from a first impression:

the sunglasses don't look like they are resting on her nose/head, but rather like they've been comp'd in in ps (albeit quite well). just about everybody I've seen with this kind of outfit would have the arms tucked in under the bandana to hold them in place.

The hair looks... weird. and actually looks more like a lot of thin stringy wet leaves mushed together.

The face is brilliant and I quite like the lighting.
This discussion has been closed.