Home General Discussion

Starcraft II

Replies

• System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Gilgamesh wrote: »
    Since when did they start charging 35 quid for pc games? Looking at the rest of the game chart they are £5-10 cheaper, the whole Modern Warfare 2 pricing coming back eh ... gouging ******'s

I got a friend code, going to play it before I even think of shelling out that much for a game.

Thing is... if you look at it as what you get in terms of time... I dont think its that much of an issue. If you look at things like Mirrors edge with ~5 hours of gameplay and compare it to SC2 which has what? 16hours+ without the multiplayer? I wouldnt want to start pricing that way but for me it puts it in perspective as youre getting decent bang for your buck.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    They have an achievement for 8 hours though, normal difficulty. Feels like the game time is around that? /the singleplayer that is)
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    well I played for 12 hours straight yesterday, singleplayer that is. and I´m not done yet :)
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Wahlgren wrote: »
    "Devoted Fan
    Purchase StarCraft II Wings of Liberty Collector's Edition. "

Why don't i have that? I got collectors. Do i need to activate extra codes or something? :(

It's an achievement reward type of thing, like kill 6 units with a particular weapon for example to unlock a sigil or avatar portrait. All the "missions" are listed in one of your profile tabs.

Just having the CE auto unlocks some stuff. I think you right click your portrait or default sigil to change.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    PixelGoat wrote: »
    well I played for 12 hours straight yesterday, singleplayer that is. and I´m not done yet :)

Exactly, there's so much fine polish and detail in this title, I'd say it's just for the best to take the time and enjoy it, I'm going to make sure it lasts longer.
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    I got the game yesterday and finished in around 14 hours. I would have loved if it was a little longer, but it doesn't bother me since everything else is like a orgasm giving you a massage while you're in a hot tub. Damn it was an awesome experience! I'm definitely doing that again :)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Wahlgren wrote: »
    They have an achievement for 8 hours though, normal difficulty. Feels like the game time is around that? /the singleplayer that is)

8 hours is kinda rushing it, does it count just the missions or does it include time spent looking around the bridge? And that doesn't include any of the side missions (there's a few toss ones, too).
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Bought it off battle/net, downloaded last night, installed this morning....went to work.

It's my first Mac game.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    TWL 902 Europe
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I just found the challenge missions :D
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Purplepaint polycounter lvl 8
    http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/profile/403610/1/Purple/

Collectors Edition is so epic.

Art book is worth the price ALONE :)
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    Im down to play, Im not amazingly good but always down for some shenanegins!

PixelMasher
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    well bugger...
    scIIwtf.jpg

Spent a good few hours getting through the damn "media" mission, and I find that I complete it with any save files it ends up corrupted like this, and all my mission data erased. (luckly loading up a pre "media mission" file seems to be fine, but might find out the hard way if that mission is corrupt all together :( )

*update*
    Looks like the mission was glitched when I started it. Before I couldn't build SCV's or any buildings. I restarted from a earlier saved and seems my reasearch upgrades are in effect now.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
  • Simmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    Corrupted marine eggs oh gaw
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    I started playing it as soon as I got it and brought it home.

I wasted my entire day on this and still not done with it :(

CE here.

I got a mouse pad with it. Damn you all free hat winners. >.<
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    ^^maybe protoss mind control? *bloop*
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    havent gone that far in the research by gathering protoss rep or else I'd be playing it for 24 hours :(
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    I started playing it as soon as I got it and brought it home.

I wasted my entire day on this and still not done with it :(

CE here.

I got a mouse pad with it. Damn you all free hat winners. >.<

I got a shirt but it's L so it's pretty damn huge. So I'm not gonna wear it, and that's sad.

I'd like a mouse mat. I'm using an upside down Discover magazine.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    ahhah, anybody notice a video of blizzard employee's moving/stealing a couch on the secret level?

I think the downer to the single player is that we probably hafta wait another year for the exp, and another after that...
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Got a chance to play a few hours of the single player last night. Loving it so far. The missions are a lot more dynamic than they were in the original game, with some interesting objectives and environmental interactions. I also like the fact that the mission select structure takes you from one planet to another. In the original Starcraft, you would usually play on one tileset for four or five missions, before moving to a different one. This mission select structure mixes things up a lot more, and gives you a bit more variety from mission to mission.

You don't "walk around" the ship between missions. Its just a standard menu system where each room coresponds to a button you click on. But I still like that aspect of the game, and enjoy talking to the various characters for a bit more back story. It provides a nicely balanced break between missions.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    It's quite alot like the inbetween missions stuff from the xwing, tiefighter and freespace games, those kind of games.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    I was a little scared at first, but the RealID Facebook integration is fucking awesome.
  • SideEffect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SideEffect polycounter lvl 19
    haha yea I saw that Rwolf. I'd like to know the story behind it
  • Canadian Ink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Canadian Ink polycounter lvl 12
    Its pretty fun, I look forward to sometime in the future not getting my ass handed to me by my work mates :)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I really wish there was a way to group all my polycount and real life buddies together, I try to make a friend note on every PC member so they have a little box by their name.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    moose wrote: »
    I was a little scared at first, but the RealID Facebook integration is fucking awesome.

I think it's fine except... I don't think they should allow you to see your friends, friend list as you can see their names too... Although it shouldn't matter, unless you accept random invites left and right.
    SideEffect wrote: »
    haha yea I saw that Rwolf. I'd like to know the story behind it
    I first thought "oh shit, the place is going down! wait wait! take the couch!" then I saw the statue in the background.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    this game is definitely worth the wait! sooo good. the campaign is incrediable. and the between mission stuff. oh man. the news on tv is HILARIOUS

and i absolutely love the new bnet... not having to wait for someone to make a game of the map you like. make it once and the map stays there forever. just jump in whenever you want! and you cant join a game till you download the map! soooo much better
  • KWolmarans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KWolmarans polycounter lvl 13
    My collectors edition was stolen off my porch. Ive got a case # from the cops. I'm pissed. BBY wouldn't let me do an instore pickup of the original order and theyre hassling me to ship a replacement instead of a in store pickup. at least they have a few left in stock. at their central distro center.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That sucks KWolmarans, so the mail dude just left it sat on your porch? Bit of a dumb move on his part surely? I'm not sure how it works in the US but here if the postman just left a package on the doorstep when you weren't home they'd be liable. Also it's a dumb thing to do anyway, surely he had the common sense to think about leaving a box in plain view.

Hope it gets sorted for you.

I've got a noob question, is there any way to stop Firebats just going off on a rampage of their own accord?

I was on one of the missions where your base had multiple points of entry and had set up a bunch of marines/firebats to guard along with some medics, and as each wave of enemies appear, the marines stay put and fight when necessary, whereas the firebats just take off with the medics and get destroyed by a swarm.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    use the hold position button?
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    if anyone has any guest passes those 7 hour dealies, shoot me an email I'd love to try this game out. :D
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    Been building a new system ( ASUS ROG Rampage III and intel i7-980 )
    If you been to the gamestop midnight launch and were looking to buy an nvidia 480 fermi anyway...
    The Coupon Code from the event is worth 20% ( a 480 gtx for $399.99 with free shipping via EVGA )

The Game just paid for itself and then some.. ( $100 dollar savings )

...Happiness
    ( the next 3 days of waiting for the knock on the door will be excrutiating tho )

Turn in the coupons! they EXPIRE SOON!
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    EDIT:nevermind
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    I gave my 2 guest passes to a couple of friends and they could play the whole campaign and any number of matches vs the AI without spending those "7 hours".

So basically, anyone who is buying the game just for the campaign and then never plan to play it again can literally get it for free since 2 weeks is plenty of time to complete the game at least once even if you're really busy.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If anyone has a guest pass left, I'd love to give this a go! I wasn't initially excited about this, and was quite ready to give it a pass, but now the talk I've been hearing concerning the Single-Player has me in doubt.

My steam ID is the same as my nickname on here.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Really? 7 hours to play through the whole campaign? That feels kind of like rushing it, especially considering there's an achievement to do it under 8h.
    But yeah if you plan only on playing the solo stuff, the game is kind of expensive...

How do you even see if you have any guest passes?
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal. You get them in your game box. It says guestpass with huge letters on them. I think standard editions get 2, collectors get 3-4.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal wrote: »
    Really? 7 hours to play through the whole campaign?

duno who you're responding to here, but if it's me, then no... you get 2 weeks to play through whole campaign. The 7 hours counts only for online time.

And the guest passes came with the game (in the box, with 2 big guest-pass cards with keys on them)
    I'm not sure if it comes with digital copies. I'm not even sure if it was just a collectors edition thing.

I got 2 SC2 ones and 2 WoW ones

guestpasses.jpg
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saaaay whuuuut, why would they do that? 2 weeks of campaign? :/
    I was under the impression you could only play 7 hours during a 2 week period.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    What's with the world of warcraft trial passes? Isn't the trial free to download anyway?
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Meh, guess there aren't any in the digital download version, not very generous of them considering it's the same bloody price.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hehe bal. It's actually more expensive. Not the same. The price is almost collectors edition-level. :)
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah, I'm such a sucker, I just can't be bothered to have more silly boxes and dvds in my appartment. :)
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    What??, two weeks for singleplayer? something doesn't sound right.

I thought it was 7 hours of gametime, and the trial will just end after 2 weeks.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I believe it is 7 hours of play, for 14 days. It ends whichever comes first.
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    I've heard this baby sold 2 millions in a day. WOW.
    Well done.
  • ninjatofu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought it was really cool how they tossed in a tribute to Michel Koiter on the cinematic before the last campaign mission.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum wrote: »
    I believe it is 7 hours of play, for 14 days. It ends whichever comes first.

Yes, I believed it too as would anyone else reading what it says.

Which is exactly why I posted here saying that was not the case, as proved by my 2 friends completing the campaign in guest mode and still having 7 hours of online game time to play.

Unless my 2 friends are just really lucky and managed to get 2 semi-broken keys or something.

Maybe it's some kind of exploit that blizz will fix soon? Either way, there is indeed a big potential of abuse.
  • Proxzee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just gave my friend a guest pass, didnt know how it worked.