Home Stickies

What Are You Working On? 2010 Edition!

Replies

• maze
    That's not a good sign, you shouldn't need a sheet to explain the function of something as simple as a mailbox. Also IMHO amount of detail depicts scale to a certain extent. I would've never guessed it was a mailbox cause it looked like a huge container or even a building of some sort. Stuff the size of a mailbox don't have this many things going on because it's simply not needed. The bigger your object is, though, the more nuts and bolts you're probably need to keep it together.

Hey Felipe, thanks for the crit, I appreciate that, you are right about the fact that a mailbox is a simple object, although I didn't want to go that simple, simply because it wouldn't be really fun to model after, also like I ve said before I wanted it to be strong looking / futuristic, although I went to the other extreme which is not good neither. So I guess that's bad planning in the end.
    I'll take comments in consideration and try to do better next time!

maybe I can still take some elements from this and go for a different object that makes more sense, like an energy tower, sci-fi container or something else ;)
  • Lonewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 13
    gauss wrote: »
    yet another reminder that all the cool kids hang out in the concept tag thread. juice by gauss, juice by gauss, woooooooah juice

mezz2a.jpg

can i haz her as wifey?

=O
  • willlord
    Offline / Send Message
    willlord polycounter lvl 7
    Hello all. So i have to come pretty close to a stopping point on my second model and was wanting to hear some crits and opinions before I wrap it up! Hope you all enjoy!
    helmet.jpg
  • woogity
    interesting design tacit math, I like the lower leg pieces alot. the sader is kinda distracting tho.
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 13
    quick sculpty sculpt...

rocky_stairs_2-740436.jpg
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 13
    Jesse : I can see where you are going with this and I realize it was a quickie, but I do think the steps could be a bit higher and the edge have less bevel...but you are also a great artist, so it's probably what you wanted...
  • rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    tacit math: love it

gauss: love it too :)
  • [SF]Three9
    WIPKnight12.jpgWIPKnight13.jpg
    Texture is almost done fffffffffffffffff
    His pack+belt is hidden, and yes I know he has a very defined ass :P, going to fix it
  • willlord
    Offline / Send Message
    willlord polycounter lvl 7
    headtxtrd.jpg
    Been working on the textures. getting closer to being finished!!!!
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycounter
    more work on my unity project
    zombie2.jpg

nice rifle scumworks.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD polycounter
    Those are some fashionable zombies.
  • Zwebbie
    This is one of those pictures that ought to have been in the speed modeling thread, but actually took me quite a while. Part of the difficulty is that, for the life of me, I can't fold my nasolabial folds like that and couldn't use myself as reference :( .

Frownface.jpg

Edit: changed the render, matcaps are nice, but sometimes also much clumsier than two lights and some AO.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycounter
    yeah they are going to have hats and various accessories

just because you are the living dead,doesn't mean to say you have to let appearances slip:)
  • JFletcher
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    Sci-fi door sketch i did today:

doorsketch.jpg

Who thinks i should stop being lazy and do some fucking 3d work? *raises hand* :(
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 13
    katana wrote: »
    Jesse : I can see where you are going with this and I realize it was a quickie, but I do think the steps could be a bit higher and the edge have less bevel...but you are also a great artist, so it's probably what you wanted...

Yeah I adjusted the height now and like it a bit more. Also sharpening up some edges. Still needs tons of work but i'm starting to like where its going more and more.

rocky_stairs_4-723591.jpg
  • Bibendum
    Just a surface texture test

bibendumpig20100621.jpg
  • {scumworks}
    Thanks Ruz!

That Unity sheiz looks sweet. Will the level be playble?

Trying to rough you a concept rather then painting one. Doubt it'll be more then a head bust, my failure rate on large projects is .. <
    _ this big
    >

Yes, its suppose to be a head.

headbust1.jpg
  • gauss
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 12
    Lonewolf: get in line :)

I know it's always a good idea for an exercise, plus every game can use a skull model, so I figured it was time. Stopped just after starting the teeth. Tomorrow get all the surface detailing and small detail stuff.

skull1.jpg
  • paulsvoboda
    Offline / Send Message
    paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 8
    @JFletcher - nice sketch - maybe you could model that?
  • j_bradford
    @tacit math

Looking interesting!

Ye, feels like im the only one left.

Meh, there are plenty of us.. you just gotta look around.
  • BlackulaDZ
    @jfletcher - I really like that door for some reason, you should color it :)
  • Psyk0
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 14
    This page needed moar skull! Started as a simple proportions study but i enjoyed it so much i figured what the hell, skulls are fun! Most of the work was edgelooped in max, quick details n render in z.

00_skull.jpg
  • maurerdan
    [IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Dan%20Maurer/My%20Documents/3dsMax/scenes/1st%20pass.jpg[/IMG]

Working on learning max in my free time and this is my practice object. Still learning program, but looking for constructive criticism. Any suggestions?
  • Harry
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    gauss wrote: »
    Lonewolf: get in line :)

I know it's always a good idea for an exercise, plus every game can use a skull model, so I figured it was time. Stopped just after starting the teeth. Tomorrow get all the surface detailing and small detail stuff.

skull1.jpg

looks a bit homo erectus to me, if it had the pronounced brow you'd be there. I gather that isn't your intention, they eyes just look a bit low and the cranium a little small
  • maurerdan
  • JoshuaC
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshuaC polycounter lvl 7
    Back when I first got into modeling I tried modeling my Glock 19.

Glock19_WIP_01.jpg

After eventually losing the file due to a folder shuffling accident, I stopped working on it.

I recently started on it again.

I started on the slide first this time. I'm making this a fairly detailed model.

Glock19_WIP_03.jpg

I'm still a novice modeler, but I've learned quite a bit since then.
  • achillesian
    still working on this periodically

j13wuc.jpg
  • crazyfool
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 8
    hes too high to do a fancy render but heres the high poly pretty much finished :)

demon_012.jpg

demon_011.jpg

And his weapon with over the top scratches :) will work nice on the normal map

demon_010.jpg

next is poly painting and praying that zbrush doesnt crash :) I got him in seperate files so hopefully its ok :D
  • sampson
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson polycounter lvl 9
    whilst your sculpting is completely badass, i just wonder how scratches would get into such deep crvices i mean someone would've had a sword and he blocked it with the mace.. but i dunno. Think you will be able to rig and mega cool action poses?
  • Ferg
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 14
    looks great crazyfool, you should polycrunch that bastard and render him properly, he deserves it. Dunno how powerful your computer is, and maybe you've already crunched him, but that'd also help you with your polypainting.
  • tda
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 12
    That's friggin sweet as hell crazyfool. The mace reminds me a lot of the witch king's wrecking ball from the 3rd LOTR film which is definitely a good thing.
  • Wahlgren
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 10
    I agree with above. Feels like there's to many scratches but f'ck. Who cares? I wanna do naughty things to you. It's friggin sweet.

Good job! Don't wuss out on the texturing now!
  • TNO
    Im working on a little Birthdaypresent
    lightbox_1250644612.jpg
  • Wahlgren
    Offline / Send Message
    TNO: is it going to be a print? Biggest issue for me is the text. It's hard to read.

Maybe scale it up and make it totally circular around the whole base? So it ends where it starts kinda?
  • crazyfool
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys :)

Wahlgren, Sampson; I thought I would go OTT with the scratches as all the armour is made from scrap metal and would have been made by orcs and such so they wouldnt have a nice finish but still have a good shape which means scratches would be everywhere. Its also gonna look cool in the textures :)

ferg; My machines not powerful enough :( I only got a 4gb machine and its wigging out with it at the moment and Ive decimated it down to around 16 million quads, The scratches mean I had to work quite high on the armour But everythings seperated out so polypaintings not going to tax it too much ......hopefully :D

tda
    ; haha yea LOTR is heavily influencing this piece, I love the witch king so much hahaha

heres a preview of the polypaint, I might do a tutorial for it if it comes out well enough

demon_013.jpg

demon_014.jpg
  • sampson
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson polycounter lvl 9
    i'm not sure about the colours. never seen purple bones in my life, bones all tend to be the browny/sandy colour no matter what animal (correct me if i'm wrong)
  • crazyfool
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry thats a base colour :) Ive not touched the horns yet
  • Spatz
    Offline / Send Message
    Spatz polycounter lvl 9
    hey crazyfool, nice progress...i would love to see the tutorial... how did you all those scratches...what kind of brush do you use for them...very nice work...waitn for more...
  • Wahlgren
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool wrote: »
    Thanks guys :)

Wahlgren, Sampson; I thought I would go OTT with the scratches as all the armour is made from scrap metal and would have been made by orcs and such so they wouldnt have a nice finish but still have a good shape which means scratches would be everywhere. Its also gonna look cool in the textures :)

demon_013.jpg

Fair enough.

I can totally see a bright yellow/orangey color somewhere on him. Like a warpaint on the arms, or some piece of equipment/cloth. Then again. I'm into contrasts and heavy colors. :)
  • Simmo
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 8
    hover1l.png

I know it's not much but it took me a few tries to get this far.. but I'm really happy with what I've done, just this little bit has given me a confidence boost as I've had trouble starting any model recently. I hope i'm going about it the right way so far.

Concept by Lipatov
  • TNO
    @Wahlgren

I haven´t thought about a print yet . ( I should look if my printer has some ink)

My first idea was a little animation where you can see the Monkey coming out of the box and makes a friendly wave with the hand. [but some optimations have to be made to accomplish it)

Thanks for the tip with the text. for a good reading I maybe have to use a flat text
    lightbox_1250651012.jpg
    [i have to make a Renderpicture of it soon ..]

@Simmo

Which methods do you use for building this thing?
  • woogity
    Really nice start crazyfool, I like wahlgren's warpaint idea, the colors right now are looking good, but I agree that some higher contrast areas would do wonders. Hp came out great sir, and I think a tutorial would do everybody some good.:thumbup: Also not worried about the scratches at all, so long as your base color is darker at the core of the mace and lighter at the points it should look good. scratches might not be typical in that area of the mace, but he is a demon after all, and if I'm not mistaken I'm pretty sure they live for a long ass time and could pick up that kinda wear.
  • Simmo
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 8
    TNO wrote: »

@Simmo

Which methods do you use for building this thing?

Edge extruding planes, and a spline for the piping thing around the fairing. Most of my problem is figuring out how to begin with a shape to get the best topology. Just more practice i reckon. :)

I really like the monkey in your model, it reads as a stuffed toy really well!
  • StefanH
    Offline / Send Message
    StefanH polycounter lvl 12
    cool work crazyfool. I likes!
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok Polycount Sponsor
    Hello everybody, I think it's my turn now to present my current work ! (No ?)

I'm working on the UDK, for an Island map, I start with a part on the beach. I try to get a render similar to the screenshot of the game "Sniper Ghost Warrior".

Concept :
    ac1cc749723e17d8b62d365bfa8e0t.jpg

First cliff :
    bdcab1565f89f96bd78003beb953ftt.jpg

I'm not sure if I will make the texture with some reference photos (like photos on cgtexture) or make it from scratch under photoshop...
  • butt_sahib
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    crazyfool...you, sir...are a badass
  • adamlewis
    Great polish on the high-poly crazfool. Nice start on the texture as well.

Trying out a new sculpting workflow with Sculptris (great program!). Concept sculpt in Sculptris, then retopo, and finish in Mudbox. Much faster and enjoyable than box modeling the base, and the topology comes out way cleaner too.

blueee.jpg
  • Josh_Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 13
    Adam Lewis, I love the way you handle Flesh...er I mean the sculpting of flesh.
  • rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    yez! this is cool
  • doc rob
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 12
    Cool, Adam. What are you using for retopo?
This discussion has been closed.