bettysupdate.jpg

My final models:
test2.jpg

Hat: Ze Zinking Cap

zinkingcap.jpg

Melee: Herzbrecher
herzbrecherr.jpg
herx2.jpg

Primary: G.elenkenpin A.kzlerator U.tilizing Z.e E.lektromagnetizm (G.A.U.Z.E)
Guaze-1.jpg

Quick mock up kill icon for Defib: Killicon_paddle.png

Replies

• Betty Hime
    Offline / Send Message
    Betty Hime polycounter lvl 9
    Here are my ideas so far

Hat:
    shock.jpg

Its going to be fun figuring out effects... if I'm allowed :p

Melee:
    defib.jpg

Hopefully I can use the bonesaw animations. After doing some research I realise that you are supposed to have the two alternating electrical currents for a defib to work, so i figure perhaps the two wires could go to one pad, making it highly unstable! Which would fit with the medic's nature :p

Primary: TBA Not quite decided on this, but I figure wither the weapon could be electally charged, or it could cause some kind of stun to the player. I'm thinking either a battery like the razorback that would spark (if i figure out how to do this) or perhaps a visible electric current in the weapon.

My modelling skills are basic at best, so this should be fun :D Any opinions or ides would be lovely. I have chosen not to do a replacement for the medi gun as I think the kritzkreig would fit in with my theme, and I'd only be remodelling the same weapon.

I will specify I am aware that we're not supposed to think up what the weapon does, but I think it's nice to at least have an idea :p

Update: I am thinking for the needle gun to do a variation on the Gauss Rifle. It's electormagnetically charged so I think it fits well with my theme. AND! have a pun on Gauze in the name :p
  • HonkyPunch
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    I like the shock paddle idea, works well for the medic. I could picture the medic yelling "Clear!" in his german accent and then electrocuting the heavy, or perhaps an enemy. Maybe the weapon could knock the enemy back, and stun them briefly?
  • -Job-
    Doctor would have to have paddles in each hand. Could be back mounted. Love the idea.
  • Betty Hime
    Offline / Send Message
    -Job- wrote: »
    Doctor would have to have paddles in each hand. Could be back mounted. Love the idea.
    Betty Hime wrote: »

Hopefully I can use the bonesaw animations. After doing some research I realise that you are supposed to have the two alternating electrical currents for a defib to work, so i figure perhaps the two wires could go to one pad, making it highly unstable! Which would fit with the medic's nature :p
    Tah -dah! And I think it'd be best to be on the belt, as I don't think they'd replace the medipack. I did oringally consider making a custom animation so the medic would hold 2 paddels but then the 3rd person animation wouldn't work, so I think this way is better!
  • Betty Hime
    Offline / Send Message
    More Ideas for the hat
    shock2.jpg
  • Y_M
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Send them into the backpack, one into each of the two things sticking out of the top?
  • Betty Hime
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M wrote: »
    Send them into the backpack, one into each of the two things sticking out of the top?

Thats what I was thinking but I'm worried they might come out and look a bit horrilbe as he moves.

Quick almost final sketch of Defib!
    defib2.jpg
  • Betty Hime
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh dear I havent progressed much.
    box.jpg
  • Buck
    Cool idea would be having it on medics back with wires comming out from each side to the defribs so he can use 2 hands, would also look pretty sweet in game.
  • Ruskeydoo
    Buck wrote: »
    Cool idea would be having it on medics back with wires comming out from each side to the defribs so he can use 2 hands, would also look pretty sweet in game.

^this
  • Betty Hime
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruskeydoo wrote: »
    ^this

Yeah but then I don't think it would make sense, in the context that the medi pack fuels the medi gun. So i'm thinking I will do this. I had to streamline the box a little to fit in with the sort of sizing of the other packs attached to the medics belt.
    medicc.jpg
  • Acumen
    Offline / Send Message
    Acumen polycounter lvl 18
    oh man, that's what i call a cohesive theme :D
    wish i could've come up with that. very cool ideas for all of your items. gonna have to keep an eye on that !
  • Betty Hime
    Offline / Send Message
    So. I was plodding along making my model, thinking all models had to be smoothed... when i realised that, that probally wasn't the best approach. So I'm going to have to have a rethink of what edges i want smoothed etc :S in the meantime. This is what I had, so I'm going to try and keep it sinilar-ish if i can. The bonesaw is in there for comparison.
    1.jpg2-2.jpg
  • willy-wilson
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    I wouldn't be doing subd, normal maps are hardly used in tf2
  • Betty Hime
    Offline / Send Message
    I wouldn't be doing subd, normal maps are hardly used in tf2

Thats what I realised :| time to start again.
  • Betty Hime
    Offline / Send Message
    Oky dokes so i have remodelled from scratch and here is what i have. I think I had a problem importing the model to check sizing, look at that bonesaw... oops! Damn you maya 2010!! But yes, I will have to stick bones in that wire to make it curved i think... But yes opinions.

Now i have two things to consider.

1. Where will the paddle go when it's not being held.

2. Should I add a second defib, I was planning on just having both wires attached to the one paddle....

medic1.jpgmedic2.jpg
  • Y_M
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Love that, looks great :D

I'd make the paddle itself a little thicker, so it's able to give someone a good thwack and not break.

Also make sure his elbow doesn't clip into the main unit (add a hook for a second paddle on the main unit, defibs always have two paddles, yours only has one :( )
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Khthon
    Will the hanging wire be hard to execute properly with animations/clipping? You could always put a 'wireless' antennae thing on the paddle. Retro 50s radio tower deal.
  • Luxy
    Oh my god this is awesome.

Have the second padel trailing behind, attached to his hip pack thing there.
  • Betty Hime
    Offline / Send Message
    Love that, looks great :D

I'd make the paddle itself a little thicker, so it's able to give someone a good thwack and not break.

Also make sure his elbow doesn't clip into the main unit (add a hook for a second paddle on the main unit, defibs always have two paddles, yours only has one :( )

Yush! I will consider your sugesstion. About the elbow thing, it's going to be inevitable, hopefully though no one will notice, I've been watching ingame as he often goes throught the gemotry of his other pack... so I'm sure it'll be ok :o
    And yeah, perhaps I could just leave it dangling down or something?
    Khthon wrote: »
    Will the hanging wire be hard to execute properly with animations/clipping? You could always put a 'wireless' antennae thing on the paddle. Retro 50s radio tower deal.

I don't know if it'll be too clear what it is with the antennae idea, but thanks for the suggestion I'll keep it in mind. And in regards to the wire I'm not to sure yet... I've been looking at jiggle bones? But I've never done it before... so it'll be quite the challenge :|
  • Betty Hime
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so mock up of possible colour combinations... Also what colour do i do the paddle :S
    defibcolortest.jpg
    Also I'm wondering whether to model an extra panel on there now.

Also I'm quite liking the heartbeat monitor like they have on the dispenser... anyone know how it's done?
  • Karkasmolenklok
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Do some of the colour mockups on a textured picture; I think that'll give you more clues of how it fits into the overall composition. I think the team coloured base might work best, because white and grey are already abundantly present in the hip area, and the box might be unnoticeable if it were the same colour.
  • Betty Hime
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Zwebbie

Good Idea, guess I'd best start unwrapping it :|
  • nofacej
    I'm liking B the most. It contrasts nicely with his outfit and really looks like an electronic device from the time period. I prefer the display on A though.
  • Betty Hime
    Offline / Send Message
    4.jpg

No specualr pass yet or AO whatever it is called. Flat textures only (WIP) Still need to sort out that handle.

2-1.jpg

Yes.... the medics textures are completely messed up! I somehow managed to import the invuln head haha! But it gives you a general idea of what the colours will be like.
  • Y_M
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Loving it :D

Still needs that second paddle hooked to the side of the main unit though.
  • Betty Hime
    Offline / Send Message
    Loving it :D

Still needs that second paddle hooked to the side of the main unit though.

Yeah going to sort out the one paddle and make sure that is all working perfectly before adding the second paddle. I'm only a beginner give me a chance :p
  • Ikimono
    Go with the Team color for the main bit. Please don't use Mann Co either; lots of potential for something like:
    "Stingel Schapper"
    "Schappen Meister"
    "Owcher Meisken"
  • Pogo
    Herz Halter
    pseudo german, but along the lines of heart stopper.

Brust Paddel
    literally: chest paddle
  • Ikimono
    Pogo wrote: »
    Herz Halter
    pseudo german, but along the lines of heart stopper.

Brust Paddel
    literally: chest paddle
    Oh come on, you know "Owcher Meisken" (owch my skin) is much more catchier :P
  • Clusternate
    Oh no

Herz Halter sounds sooo terribly bad. rly ... trust me
    Brust Paddel is out of the line and Owcher Meisken is mayby catchy but is not even a bit german. Sounds really ridiculous.

How 'bout

HerzBreaker (heartBreaker)
    BlitzKrieg (thunder-war) <-- Kinda like this one^^
    Bolteneizer [Bolteniser]
    Schockgeber (Shockdealer) <- one german name for the Defibrilator
  • re.wind
    you're probably better off using a simple 2D string with phone cord texture on it to save a ton of triangles, as i'm assuming the cable will be jigglebone'd to some extent. If that is too un-detailed, then challenge yourself to create the helix under 200 triangles. It currently looks like the most triangle-intensive part of the model, by a factor of 3.

Another suggestion is to get some spiky stuff into the shockpad, sort of like a two-pronged bonesaw with arcing sparks to give a clear impression of lethality.

Another option is if the medic holds both pads in either hand with some arcing going between the two pads, emphasising lethality. (again).

Maybe i just want electricity sparking around. >:-p ^_^
  • Y_M
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    re.wind wrote: »
    you're probably better off using a simple 2D string with phone cord texture on it to save a ton of triangles, as i'm assuming the cable will be jigglebone'd to some extent. If that is too un-detailed, then challenge yourself to create the helix under 200 triangles. It currently looks like the most triangle-intensive part of the model, by a factor of 3.

Looks like the rest of the model is low poly enough for the cord to stay as poly-dense as it is to be fair.
  • Khthon
    I wouldn't mind a new company name on the unit with a logo with a lightning bolt incorporated (Lightning Bolts Inc.?) into it.

Great concepts, and good luck to you.
  • Betty Hime
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Y_M

Yes I really wanted the cord to be a helix, so I was trying to keep the count at low as possible, as it is it's only 2800, 1600 of that being the string, so i have enough left for an extra paddle and string, so that'll bring me up to 4700, so really i could probally get away with adding a few more divisions to the helix.

@Re.wind

I dont think I'd have enough room on my texture to add a good enough texture for the cord, but i think a flat colour works ok. I really want the defib box to be the main textured thing.

Jiggle boned I want alsmot definately the only thing stopping my is my lack of knowledge right now. I am also looking into how I can also make the cord stretch, so it is attached to the box and paddle.

I have also considered particle effects, but again only lack of knowledge is stopping me! Oh the joys of being a begginner. I also want to find out how they did the animation on the dispenser so i can copy that for my defib box.

@ Everyone

I am loving the name suggestions please continue!!! I only used Mann co, becuase i thought all vavle weapons had a theme and also it's nice and square and fits in the texture nicely.
  • Thomas Truong
    Looks pretty cool.
    I may have missed this detail in an earlier post, but were you going to make new animations for this weapon as well, because if it's considered, any work you save them in the long run will probably get you more brownie points.
  • Betty Hime
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks pretty cool.
    I may have missed this detail in an earlier post, but were you going to make new animations for this weapon as well, because if it's considered, any work you save them in the long run will probably get you more brownie points.

I'm considering it, I am an animator, so that part wouldn't be too hard. It would be working out all the technical stuff that I'd have trouble with :| Depends if i get time. We have to make 3items afterall.
    HerzBreaker (heartBreaker)

Love this! I am stealing!
  • Fragus
    a little but important detail, add highlights to edges, and use gray-dark gray brushes where the shadows would be
  • Khthon
    Lightning bolt logo for whatever company name you decide would work great, you could also put the lightning logo on the metal paddle itself to make it more interesting...these are some real defibrillator logos for ref-
    aedlogo.gif
    aed.jpg
    Defi-Logo_small.jpg
    aed%20logo.jpg
    MyklRoventine.jpg
    m3068a.jpg
    pad_logo_1.jpg
  • dickless
    EDIT: Oops! Thought the first page was most recent.
  • Betty Hime
    Offline / Send Message
    light.jpg

Yes... i'm not very good at coming up with names. What do you think? I think 2nd might be too detialed on such a small scale.

Alternitavely I could just have the logo by itself.
  • Psyke
    i'd change the name on number 3.....
  • Betty Hime
    Offline / Send Message
    So this is what I'm thinking so far?progress.jpg
    Unsure if i need the name or not. Enough for today, gonna tackle the ao bake tomorrow!
  • Fragus
    Betty Hime wrote: »
    So this is what I'm thinking so far?progress.jpg
    Unsure if i need the name or not. Enough for today, gonna tackle the ao bake tomorrow!
    Make the heart an icon, in a circle or something, with borders it will look better and more professional! :)
  • Betty Hime
    Offline / Send Message
    hat2.jpg
    Bottom left was just for trololols. I like bottom right what do you guys think?
    Reference
    ref.jpg

I want to make clear as well, that I'm only using an electric chair as ref, becuase its more interesting then a regular metal band.
  • Betty Hime
    Offline / Send Message
    ao.jpg
    Just doing an AO bake test. Something has gone horribly wrong with that handle... might have to think of re-uving that!
  • Mizzymizzy
    I like the top left one.
  • Meower
    The light bulb is amazing. That or the last one.