Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2-Polypack - Betty Hime

Replies

• Karkasmolenklok
    If you could manage 3 with a lightbulb that would be amazing. I also like the combination of brown leather bits and grey metallic bits, they give it more character contrasting each other than one or the other has alone.
  • xilefian
    I dislike all the hat, they seem rather scary to me and personally, I can't make the connection between the defib and the hat.

How about the first one without the wires, in-stead of a metal band have it white, and a large, comical lightbulb at the top?
  • Karkasmolenklok
    xilefian wrote: »
    I dislike all the hat, they seem rather scary to me and personally, I can't make the connection between the defib and the hat.
    The "hat" is the headgear for the electric chair.

Defribrillators, electrocution, electric chair, lightbulb.
  • Calabi
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    I think the electrocution hat may be a bit too macabre(bad taste).

I like the lightbulb one though.
  • xilefian
    Calabi wrote: »
    I think the electrocution hat may be a bit too macabre(bad taste)..
    After learning what the hat is, I agree with this

Lightbulb would be good, would stick with the electricity theme.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    I think the electrocution hat may be a bit too macabre(bad taste).
    You do realize this is a game where you can douse a person who is on fire with piss and then decapitate them, where you taunt people after killing them and it gives a freeze-frame where it points out where various giblets are?
  • xilefian
    You do realize this is a game where you can douse a person who is on fire with piss and then decapitate them, where you taunt people after killing them and it gives a freeze-frame where it points out where various giblets are?
    But it does that in a humorous way, electric chair just seems distasteful (Thanks for the word, couldn't describe it before)
  • Karkasmolenklok
    But it does that in a humorous way, electric chair just seems distasteful (Thanks for the word, couldn't describe it before)
    I fail to see the objection as to what makes a reference to an electric chair next to a defribrillator distasteful as opposed to, say, burning them to death with a flamethrower while they scream "My flesh! It burns!" and having an achievement for it called "Makin' bacon"
  • xilefian
    Something about electric chair seems not as funny as lighting people up while they scream "Oh! Ah! Ah! Fire! Fire! Fire!"
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Something about electric chair seems not as funny as lighting people up while they scream "Oh! Ah! Ah! Fire! Fire! Fire!"
    The Addams family would disagree.
  • Calabi
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12

I know but, certain things have certain associations, if they had that in game, every time I see it, it would bring up the thoughts that, that hat is what they kill real people in and the unpleasant visual images like the above.

Sometimes there are things that dont fit that push things too far in a certain direction.
  • xilefian
    The Addams family would disagree.
    Because they did it to a creepy short guy who looks like my uncle, not to the poor medic who only want to spill the blood of his enemies and ubercharge a few hwguys

Could you please try a big lightbulb on top without the wires?
    Pweeeeeease
  • Karkasmolenklok
    I know but, certain things have certain associations, if they had that in game, every time I see it, it would bring up the thoughts that, that hat is what they kill real people in and the unpleasant visual images like the above.
    I still cannot fathom the notion that the electric chair could be more macabre than a flamethrower, having seen what flamethrowers really do to people.
  • ParingKnife
    Obviously, we haven't been desensitized enough to the electric chair, unlike guns, fire, frag, etc.

On topic, I like the lightbulb, although the reference in general is not apparent to me without being told.

Have you considered other designs for the paddle handle? I'm assuming this one is the easiest to fit in the medic's hamfists.
  • xilefian
    I still cannot fathom the notion that the electric chair could be more macabre than a flamethrower, having seen what flamethrowers really do to people.
    With fire you can have a lot of comedic outcome, my friend set their face on fire and are scarred for life, on the other hand, I accidentally set my desk in school on fire in chemistry and everyone was lol'ing for the rest of the day.

An electric chair only has one outcome, because being reduced to a pile of smouldering ash wouldn't fit in the TF2 universe.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    An electric chair only has one outcome, because being reduced to a pile of smouldering ash wouldn't fit in the TF2 universe.
    Um what? You have it backwards, the fire is what does the 'pile of smouldering ash' thing.
  • xilefian
    Um what? You have it backwards, the fire is what does the 'pile of smouldering ash' thing.
    But that doesn't happen in TF2, they run around like madmen, dive into water pools, collapse at the top of a bridge and plummet to a splat, or just take the pain and stand there

EDIT: how about like this: I don't see much chance of a hat that is simply the head-piece of an electric chair helping a model pack on it's way to victory
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Yeah and a guy wearing an electric chair hat with a lightbulb on top doesn't either.

Anyway, I don't intend to argue it further. Suffice it to say I find the objection silly.
  • Y_M
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    bottom or middle right gets my vote.
  • Clusternate
    I like the first on the Top left too.

Bottom right looks maybe most similar to the original, but it looks quiet ridiculous.

The hats has to "style" the class and that "hat" (more mask or frame than a hat) is not really making this class look bedder.
    I would fit to the weapon but the just wouldn't be nice to wear.

PS. Do u have a name yet?

I'm german and could give u some hints.^^
  • EvilShadow777
    Bottom left, light bulb helmet ftw.
  • Betty Hime
    Offline / Send Message
    Betty Hime polycounter lvl 9
    Wow! Such a debate going on in my thread! To be honest I don't think it's a problem the medic having an electiric chair hat. He's a crazy fool anyway, so why not? I wanted to go with the theme 'shock therapy' so... I'm not going to argue over that. I'm quite amazed that you think it's going a bit too far but I can see where you are coming from. I guess thats for valve to decide whether its appropriate or not.

Personally I'm worried bottom right will have too high tris count. I love the idea of having a lightbulb but I have no idea how to add a lighting effect. I wouldn't want it without it. I also dont want the light bulb floating over his head, so it'd definately have to be attached in some way.

I agree with Karkasmolenklok about the metal and leather contrasting I think i'll include that!

PS. Do u have a name yet?

I'm german and could give u some hints.^^

That would be lovely? I was thinking of having a runnin theme of one company for all my products too, what do you think of licht industrien?
    Have you considered other designs for the paddle handle? I'm assuming this one is the easiest to fit in the medic's hamfists.
    I didn't but only because I wanted to keep to the typical defib look, and yes it fits in his hand nicely. Somepeople have suggested putting spikes on it or something to make look more lethal but I'm not convinced yet.
  • Edspear
    I think if you could put the lightbulb on the top right one it would look pretty good. But again leather would clash with a lot of the other stuff. But maybe you can just do like a metal dome with a light bulb on top of that, maybe even a little pull string for the lols... A lamp hat...

In short the light-bulb would be mandatory on a thing like this.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Betty Hime wrote: »
    I love the idea of having a lightbulb but I have no idea how to add a lighting effect.
    This is definitely the place to find people who do.

But not me. I don't know crap.

Don't judge me. I'm sure I know lots of other stuff I don't even know about.
  • Edspear
    I once again have prepared a mock up of the possible light bulb hat appearence. It is a very rough doodle done within 15 secconds so don't look upon it too harshly.
    Light-Bulb-hat.jpg?t=1275521864
  • Betty Hime
    Offline / Send Message
    This is definitely the place to find people who do.

I have had a lot of help from you guys! I'm still trying to work out multiple things right now.

1. scrollable texture on my defib box, like on the dispenser
    2. spark effects for the paddle? (maybe)
    3. Making the wire stretch between the paddle and the box

and now

4. lighting effects for the bulb.

Wow i chose something really complicated >_<
  • Karkasmolenklok
    You could include a note suggesting that they just use the same spark effect they use for sappers.
  • Fragus
    I have had a lot of help from you guys! I'm still trying to work out multiple things right now.

1. scrollable texture on my defib box, like on the dispenser
    2. spark effects for the paddle? (maybe)
    3. Making the wire stretch between the paddle and the box

and now

4. lighting effects for the bulb.

Wow i chose something really complicated >_<
    Yeah, especially the lighting. Very frustrating because source is stubborn as a donkey!
  • Betty Hime
    Offline / Send Message
    Well i was thinking if i couldnt work out how to do it i'd just have to say that. Want to put in as little work as possible for valve though to give myself a better chance. But reading through tutorials can onloy get me so far >_<
  • Clusternate
    That would be lovely? I was thinking of having a runnin theme of one company for all my products too, what do you think of licht industrien?

nhaa "Licht Industrie" (without n) sounds ... well sry ... stupid. :D

How 'bout "Blitzkrieg corp." (blitz = lightning) the "corp" to make it a lil bit more american. Its unusual to add company, industry, corp or else to ur company name in germany.

Or try somthing like "GmbH" which is similar to "Ldt."

some samples:

Zzunder GmbH

• Twigbag
    LOVE the defibulator idea!
  • Betty Hime
    Offline / Send Message
    nhaa "Licht Industrie" (without n) sounds ... well sry ... stupid. :D

Zzunder GmbH

Yeah... My german sucks XD

zzunder sounds a bit like thunder :D i quite like it reckon i could get away with putting corp on the end of it? we could say its a german company based in america?

Btw I called me befib Da Herzbrecher 9000 does that sound non-silly?
  • Clusternate
    zzunder sounds a bit like thunder

Well it IS thunder just spoken with german accent.^^

Just "Herzbrecher" would do it. (The Herzbrecher, "da" and "9000" does not fit)

Even if its translated wrong. ^^ Right would be "Herzensbrecher" but it would be to long.

btw. it has a wrong meaning. but never mind sounds correct :D
  • Betty Hime
    Offline / Send Message
    Wohoo! So i'll have

Herzbrecher as name for my defib

zzunder corp for my company

what about a name for my hat D:
  • Clusternate
    cool^^

I would try something like " Last Hat u gonna wear". (from an Electric chair ^^)

"Letzter Hut"

If u stay with the light bulb:

"Letzte Erleuchtung" = last inspiration
  • Khthon
    Just make the cap, if it has a lightbulb, be called the Thinking Cap!

"All right everyone, put your thinking caps on!"

thinkingcapwhoa_color%5B1%5D.gif
  • Betty Hime
    Offline / Send Message
    Khthon wrote: »
    Just make the cap, if it has a lightbulb, be called the Thinking Cap!

"All right everyone, put your thinking caps on!"

Thats excatly what i didn't want to do :/
    I think I'll do a variation of the very last one.

hat3.jpg

I'll leave at this for now, and when i start modellling it I'll see how feasible it is.

Also I've had an idea for my primary weapon. I am thinking for the needle gun to do a variation on the Gauss Rifle. It's electormagnetically charged so I think it fits well with my theme. AND! have a pun on Gauze in the name :p
  • Some Jerk
    Hm, the light bulb should only light up when he's fully charged.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Some Jerk wrote: »
    Hm, the light bulb should only light up when he's fully charged.
    If it can be done, it should be.

Of course, that is basically a big "SHOOT ME!" sign to snipers.
  • TheMetaKnight
    I'm liking the medic stuff I see here :D That hat is just awesome.

Also, I'm not sure if you're still looking for ideas... but I recall an earlier post about where to put the paddle when not using the defibrillator. Perhaps two metal loops on the forward facing side to act as a "holster" for the paddle handle?

Just my 2 bits.... can't wait to see what's next :thumbup:
  • Some Jerk
    Of course, that is basically a big "SHOOT ME!" sign to snipers.

So is the energy he emits from his gun and the fact he loudly shouts that he's charged every time. XD
  • Karkasmolenklok
    So is the energy he emits from his gun and the fact he loudly shouts that he's charged every time. XD
    lol true enough.
  • Betty Hime
    Offline / Send Message
    I need some help! When I render out my weapon it looks like this, look right some sort of wierd texture that looks like it was an old one i did. I've been through the hyper shade and deleted anything that loked unneccesary and it's still there :(

balls.jpg

Also I'm getting those starange black edges around some of my objects, this is becuase of the ao bake being applied on top, is there anyway to get around that? or am i just going to have to draw on the aobaked layer? :s
  • Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    I don't know what the problem is with the render, but I can tell you that if you don't have enough edge padding when you go to bake your AO, it'll give you nasty artifacts like those black borders. Try rebaking the AO with a couple more pixels of edge padding.
  • Baby Stomper

Or how about the fact that just being a Medic makes him a big "shoot me" sign?
  • Snowloss
    Or how about the fact that just being a Medic makes him a big "shoot me" sign?

I usually 'main' Medic and I'll tell you one thing, I did NOT like the week of the Sniper/ Spy update... good lord.
  • Betty Hime
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle wrote: »
    I don't know what the problem is with the render, but I can tell you that if you don't have enough edge padding when you go to bake your AO, it'll give you nasty artifacts like those black borders. Try rebaking the AO with a couple more pixels of edge padding.

EDIT:

Got the edges of the ao bake to padd a luittle like you said. Took me a while to find but it was the last option in the bake menu in the end.

ALSO I managed to get rid of the horrible render. I ended up making a new scene and importing my models and then it seemd to be fine :\

So here is my WIP now. I've got evrything working, just the actual painting to do. oh yeah i didnt join the wire in these renders but you get the picture!

la.jpgda.jpg
  • Betty Hime
    Offline / Send Message
    Update:

Giving the deib a bit of a rest, started on the hat. Having a hard time keeping the polycount down. Currently on 690! :s and i'm still unsure how to make those holes.

hat_1.jpg
  • Khthon
    You could make textured on bolts instead of holes.
  • Betty Hime
    Offline / Send Message
    Khthon wrote: »
    You could make textured on bolts instead of holes.

I was thinking that. Maybe resort to a normal map?