Starcraft II

Replies

• Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    KhAoZ wrote: »
    What's the error that you get?

That's the thing... There is no error. Windows just says it's stopped working and then I have to close it. There's no error message or error reporter and I'm fairly sure it doesn't create an error log since I really don't even get into the game at all. The only error in any of the files is "Memory Access Violation" but I think that's from the patch downloader.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    I usually do that to the people i meet aswell. Send in a shitload of zerglings and let them wreck havoc on their builders. If it works, i´ve won the game. If it doesn´t i know I´m usually very very fucked.

Sometimes I also hit them with a small force from the front and kite them around for awhile.... MEANWHILE back in their base I build a nydas worm full of banelings. BABOOOOOM.

The game is fun although I hate the fact that i lose 70% of the time.

Sounds to me like you're not teching anywhere near enough. Lings and banelings are a highly situational strat and they're especially crap against terran. I'd ruin your day with 5 Hellions with the pre-igniter upgrade.:nerd:
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'd have to disagree with you there, the teching to hellions with pre-igniter, takes a lot longer than zerg to get speedlings + blings, and zerg would probably have a 2nd expansion up by then.

And speedlings are fast enough to surround hellions, making them pretty much useless, hellions are amazing against hydras though, especially if you flank them and hit a row/arc of them.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, playing against zerg I always expect a rush, so I usually build with that in mind. Wall the ramp, build 4 rines, build reactor and pump some more. Any ling rush at this point is doomed. Factory with reactor and some hellions and any baneling rush is screwed. Then starport and put it on the factory reactor for quick medivacs and I'm ready to mineral drop or defend against mutas.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I challenge you to a few matches :P

somepunk.zwd
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, on EU servers. Otherwise I'd have added all of you guys. :(
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    awww lame. I just haven't seen a terran very successful vs anything but hydras, but they really destroy them, and drones.
  • KhAoZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the biggest bug is that i cant post in the sc2 forum... so all the bugs i find i will have to email in another way... so far i had my scvs stuck between stuff, lots of problems with windows in the menu, joining games is unstable. especially when ur in a party up for 2v2s.

Can you be more specific? I've actually never heard of those issues before and I play quite frequently.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    awww lame. I just haven't seen a terran very successful vs anything but hydras, but they really destroy them, and drones.

Dunno, only had a problem with lings/banelings the first time I got fucked by them. Mutas and roaches are a pain in the ass though.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I've always head speedlings + mutas were a better combo sense they are both ridiculously fast. I normally don't use roaches unless I need an armored unit, or later game and the other person isn't using detectors. I'm more of a macro player anyway, and zerg doesn't have as hard of counters as the other races, besides the blings eat marines for breakfast.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A good roach rush vs terran is godly unless they've massed tanks.

And yeah mutas + super lings is the best combo in the game. Send your lings in front to soak up damage and the mutas behind, or just pop a crapload of lings and use them to distract while you rape the base.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Roach/Hydra build <3

This is my favorite. It's strong against every race and quick to tech to. You can always keep making buildings for tech switches if you need to, but you can overcome most players with this build.

Roaches sit up front and soak up damage while dealing a ton themselves. Hydras chill in the back and help kill things as well as providing essential anti-air. If you just keep massing them, you don't need to tech switch as they can overwhelm easily. You can use Nydus Networks or overlord drops for additional mobility if you really need it, but it's usually not a problem.

Speedling/Muta is definitely good, but it's way easier for the other player to defend against. You are hedging all of your bets on the Mutas unless you have really good zergling micro. Everytime I've used this build I've been able to do a lot of damage, but you get overtaken on the ground easily then the Stalkers/Marines are free to attack the Mutas. Your are left having to tech switch to a more versatile unit composition most of the time. I am sure people can do a lot better with this build than me, but I just think Roach/Hydra is more solid overall. I see it a lot more in pro games than speedling/muta.

I hate turtle Terrans.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I thought marauders > roaches and there's a lot of mass marauders going on when I play against terran.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are. And as a reward I send those players my mutas. :D
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    If you're playing as Zerg vs Zerg, its a good idea to hit your opponent with zerglings early, and never stop. I'm not talking about a rush for a quick win. I'm talking about constant attrition via zerglings. Grow a queen as quickly as you can, and you will be able to crank out a considerable force of zerglings early and often. While your opponent is dealing with the regular assaults of zerglings, you work on expanding out a second hatchery. This will also free you up to select which tech strategy you want to go for. I like to build a spire and start cranking out mutalisks.

The point of this strategy is to put constant pressure on your opponent while spending the minimum on units, and to prevent your opponent from expanding their base, which drastically hinders their economy.

Attempting to turtle up in SC2 is a mistake. All of the more experienced players tend to be more aggressive.
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    I never go muta as zerg ever. mutas are dead when facing hydras with atk/armor upgrades. i have yet to see a match where the opposition decides to upgrade weapons and not spam X Y or Z unit every time. and if you harass and kite well you will force the enemy to turtle up and rethink his attacks which allows you to totally control the map.

early slings to harass or def against harassment (reapers i'm looking at you!), hydras and slings to attack/def and ultra-nydus for hilarious endgame scenarios. the only stopper to this are colossus since their firing arc covers so much ground and burns up hydras like nothing, but slings if sent in beforehand and staggered are a great way to soak up punishment and break up enemy focus on priority targets.

it's a lot of micro but is it fun and counters most everything. The best thing is that i have way more resources to recoup my losses with queens shitting eggs all over their hatcheries while the opponent has to queue up resources again to make more expensive units.

upgrades matter a lot but most players tend to think that massed units will win over teched up ones. it's a huge surprise and upset for lots of people to see their numerically superior forces or glass cannons pop to a smaller teched up group of 1 or 2 tiered units, especially in end game scenarios >: )

i have no clue about terran build orders though so i harass with reapers until my viking bc force is done but i usually lose due to lack of AA beforehand. : /
  • piippo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    piippo.piippo on EU servers. Feel free to add me. I play random mainly ;)
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    wow..didnt realize that free for all matches have the condition of "last man standing wins"

So I drove my units to the base next to me which I thought needed my assistance until I realized I are their enemy :(
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    ZacD wrote: »
    I thought marauders > roaches and there's a lot of mass marauders going on when I play against terran.

On a very base level, yes. But Roaches are very cost effective and you can get a lot more numbers than marauders very easily. Also having Hydras in the back with extended range cleans them up. So far I have very little issue with this build. Try it out. :)

It's great in all race matchups. It's probably worst against Protoss mech, but it's easy to tech switch.
  • KhAoZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so you thought it was your ally even though you couldn't see his base? lol
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump wrote: »
    On a very base level, yes. But Roaches are very cost effective and you can get a lot more numbers than marauders very easily.

Don't forget that roaches can be upgraded to travel burrowed. The real advantage of marauders over roaches is that marauders have greater range. Burrowed roaches can sneak right up to the marauders. (negating that advantage)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    So early expand + mass roach? seems like it'd take longer than mass ling/bling.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, the mass roach would just be if your opponent is terran and is focusing on marauders. Marauders are pretty good at cutting down zerglings, so tunneling roaches would be better.

I just won three times in a row using zergling attrition. The last game I won even though my opponent managed to get a handful of mutalisks in the air. (and I hadn't even bothered building a spire) It could just be because I'm in a low tier, but zergling attraition seems to be a pretty effective strategy against other zerg. I would not recommend it against the other species though. Terrans usually seal off their base, which would give them the edge with just a few marines or marauders. And Protoss zealots can carve through zerglings pretty well. (not to mention all of the other effective anti-ground forces the Protoss get) A handful of zealots supported by a single walker can devastate large groups of zerglings.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I just won a game by just running past an army of zealots and throwing down a few spine crawlers, went straight for the probes and the spines plus some new lings easily held them off. It was GG from there.
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    Used to be a hardcore Starcraft player back in the day, just started playing SC2 this week... and I made it to Platinum rank, this game is an adrenaline rush of fun!

Playing toss exclusively, I feel competitive vs other toss in mirror matches and terrans, but zergs in plat league just wreck me. Any good toss here have suggestions? =)
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    A pshh match making is broken Platnum vs Copper = not fun. (I originally got a silver rank, but kept matching me up with platinum and gold players) = a broken man. *goes sit in a corner*

I'm in such shambles I don't know what strategy to use anymore lol.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i have no clue about terran build orders though so i harass with reapers until my viking bc force is done but i usually lose due to lack of AA beforehand. : /

Reaper harass is a very awesome, but highly situational strat. I like to amass 5-6 and then go for it, but only if the map allows for easy base entry. Against toss this strat is a killer as most people don't immediately throw down cannons. 6 Reapers can rape a worker line, wear down zealots, and destroy pylons easily. Against zerg it can go both ways, and against terran it only usually works once, and badly, unless they're noobs and never make rines.

Always make rines, they are the bread and butter of any terran army. Lots of people go mass marauders, And that becomes a hilarious build when three void rays/banshees/mutas show up and devastate their economy. You can go send them to suicide to free cap space if you need mroe BCs later.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I just cant wait for new Turret Wars and Bunker D!
  • z3phon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    z3phon polycounter lvl 12
    Is there any chance Blizzard will still give out invites to the beta?
    I'm really hoping that I get in.
  • KhAoZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf wrote: »
    A pshh match making is broken Platnum vs Copper = not fun. (I originally got a silver rank, but kept matching me up with platinum and gold players) = a broken man. *goes sit in a corner*

I'm in such shambles I don't know what strategy to use anymore lol.

That might be because you won a bunch of matches in a row against Copper then Silver, so then the Matchmaking system wanted to see if you were ready to for Gold so it started matching you against those players.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    dfacto wrote: »
    Reaper harass is a very awesome, but highly situational strat. I like to amass 5-6 and then go for it, but only if the map allows for easy base entry.

Protoss needs to go for fastest stalker possible when they play terran, cannons are a waste IMO. If they go for a fast reaper rush the stalker and reaper should be getting there around the same time.

But I've been playing a lot of games vs toss were all they do is mass void rays (in 2v2), I've had decent amount of success with hyras, but void rays seem OP, once they get an army of them, all their laser will charge and they can almost tear through anything.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I definitely don't understand the placement matches and leagues. I won all but one of my placement matches, so I get put into gold. I've played two games in gold and gotten trounced both times. Both times the load screen said the other team was heavily favored. Then they win.

If you know they're heavily favored why are you matching me against them? Why not strive for an even match?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    1. They want to keep the search times on the beta short
    2. They are testing extreme cases in the beta for the ladder system, there's going to be more than 5 placement matches in the retail.
  • KhAoZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, it was originally 10 placement matches in the first 2 months of Beta
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will it still move me around drastically once I've been placed? Or is it all small moves now?

I just won two matches in a row, but it was mostly my partner in both cases being way better than everyone. I seem to be tied for second in terms of score each match, and then the top player is way better than everyone. If he's on my team we win, if he's on the other one we lose.

It's still ridiculously fun.
  • KhAoZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You would have to win at least 10 in a row I believe
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mine still won't even get to the login screen... I hope the reason Blizzard hasn't been responding to my e-mail is because it's the weekend, otherwise I'm going to be a sad panda.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats your computer Zip?

Specs I mean.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Core i7 920, ATI 5870, 6 Gigs of DDR3. Only reason it'd be a hardware problem is if my drivers are outdated. I updated my chipset and video card drivers but neither of those fixed it. None of my drivers should really be that out of date though as I just built this system 2 months ago. Maybe I'll try updating my BIOS if no one here has a good suggestion.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KhAoZ wrote: »
    You would have to win at least 10 in a row I believe

No I mean if I've been placed above where I should be, will it move me down?

How do the divisions in each league work?
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    glib wrote: »
    No I mean if I've been placed above where I should be, will it move me down?

How do the divisions in each league work?

Yes you will get moved down. A lot of people get placed higher up than they should be. Unfortunately, how the ladders and placement work exactly are not known. I've heard that when you get to the top of your division you start playing higher tier players to see if you can move up. And likewise if you lose a lot you might get bumped down, it happened to my friend. He got bumped from gold to copper in just a few games.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    im not nearly korean enough to play this D:

Got my ass handed to me in 5 minutes

Thanks for letting me learn to play jerks!

but yea it seems cool, looking forward to this game when its out
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin wrote: »
    Thanks for letting me learn to play jerks!

The multiplayer-proper is not the area to learn the basics of the game. If you want to learn the tech trees, play around with the mechanics, and test build orders, your best bet is to use the "create a game" feature. This button in the multiplayer menu will let you create a custom game that you can populate with AI opponents. They only have the "very easy" AI available right now. And that description is apt, it is very easy to win against.

This mode is where to start with the Starcraft II beta. It gives you a sand box for learning maps and how to use abilities. Once you move into actual multiplayer, you will learn competitive strategies. And yes, you need to expect that your ass will get handed to you quite often. The nature of the on-line multiplayer rewards agression. Your more capable opponents will make sure that there is constant pressure on you to defend your base and resources. If they see an opportunity to screw you over or trip you up, they will take it.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I'm gold in 2vs2, and win about half to 3/4 of my matches. I just tried my placement matches for 1v1 and lost every single match, so I'm copper. Seems strange.

[edit] And for my first game in copper I absolutely destroy the guy =/. Placement seems to be all messed up.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    in 2vs2 your partner builds about 5-6 initial men. (in my case marines / maradours Or jumpers for tarrens) and attempt to wipe the SCVs or any gatherers out 10 mins after the game starts.

Which gives you enough time to build your base and same goes for your partner. While your enemy summons their gatherers to build their base.

In 1vs1 you either block the entrance or do that very rush attempt you experience in 2vs2.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    import2.jpg

Got my first asset in editor (still very rough, just a first pass on diffuse) using an M3 exporter that came out 3 days ago that i didn't realize existed until a few hours ago! Everything went wrong, photoshop wouldn't export DDS files, spent hours trying to get that to work, finally downloaded gimp, updated that to export DDS. Then the exporter bugged out and labeled the texture filepaths wrong so i had to troubleshoot that. But whatever, in the end it works and if anyone wants to try it out you can find it here!:

http://www.sc2mapster.com/assets/m3-export-plugin-3ds-max/
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    awesome, but I don't have 3DS :(
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    awesome crazyfingers!

ok guess what?

2NPC84-PJ6P-PEGC4N-RWZ8-2E27PG

and

YHN7E2-YHYN-DZY26D-D9GJ-6ZNP82
  • SnowGhost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowGhost polycounter lvl 11
    I would have loved you a week ago TheWinterLord :p

Thanks for the heads up on the exporter I'm going to go play with it now.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THEWINTERLORD THANK YOU MAN I'LL GIV EYOU BABIES YEAAAAAAH

Used the first one.

FUUUUUUCKK YEHA :d