Home Technical Talk

TexTools 3.0+

sublime tool
Offline / Send Message
renderhjs sublime tool
Ok finally a new release of TexTools with its own new thread. The former thread has really grown and I wanted to devote this release its own thread. This is now already the first anniversary of TexTools as its close to exactly 1 year ago since I started this project.

What?
A maxScript package shaped into a Photoshop alike toolbar that covers a lot of things for texture artists. One of the key benefits is that you can install it anywhere and almost at any max packages (9+) without the need of administrative rights or script installation knowledge.
Oh and its free!, free to use and free to modify, improve or copy into your own scripting stuff.

Homepage:
http://renderhjs.net/textools/

Youtube Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=0D7878B0B79B344E

download link:
TexTools_3.00.mzp

3.00_promotion.jpg

3.0 Changes:
Most noticeable is the new interface and setup that it comes with. These are my attempts on making it even easier to use for first time users. But under the hood there have been many smal improvements.
Some of them:
  • Options: new settings to change/ store
    • completely rewritten ini settings storage engine, rethrieves and sets default values to fall back on
    • new and minimalistic GUI for the settings fits better with the overal design decission I took for this project (pixel minimalistic space).
    • setting for snap TexTools to UV editor
    • setting for force TexTools Colors for UV editor
    • save / load values for the Texel inputs
  • Setup: Uninstall and Install TexTools
    • to install(including Win7 + Vista fixes) with very detailed error stops should something go wrong. In that case you will then know why (i.e no write access to folder/file XYZ)
    • uninstall with detailed scanned list of files to be deleted before deleting the files. Swipes all previuous former TexTools files including windows temp directories, macroscript directories, ini file,...
    The setup will start as soon as you either run the MZP file or drag it in the viewport. From there on you can install, uninstall get help or abort the setup.
    • max8 or older not getting error message regarding reloading icons. So experimental users can try it with Max8 though certainly a few things wont work at all.
  • GUI: New Main Toolbar GUI
    • uses imgTags instead of outdated buttons which support rollover states and more icon pixel space
    • re-arranged Buttons based on typical workflow order and compressed layout
    • color codings are now presented using colors in the symbols themselves
    • the rollout is created dynamicly so that possible errors and future update times can be decreased dramatically
    • removed tools in this release are: stack shells, compress shell orientation (can be done using the sort method)
    • new help panel with a overview of all tools and a starting guide plus lots of links to discover and read through.
  • Simplified Architecture: MZP archive, Macroscripts, functions,..
    • very simple and clean package (easy to install manually as well)
    • changed also quite a few filenames and function names to make things more easy for me to update in the future.
    • simplified some of the Macroscript descritions so its easier to spot which Macroscript triggers which Functionality. In most cases its just shorter and easier to read.
    • cleaned up some macroscripts as their were targeting wrong variable paths, also disabled each macroscripts if TexTools was not loaded in the RAM (to avoid errrors) + added clean Button Labels should you drag Macroscripts into toolbars.
  • UV editor: Edit Multiple Objects (max 2008+)
    • will open / close the editor also with multiple objects selected
    • many functions also ported or made compatible with the new Max2008+ multi object UV edit mode.
    • added Open/Close Editor to the macroscripts
    • open UV editor keeps UV modifiers now cleaner and consistent. Before if you were not in the modify mode (but instead create, motion,...) it would add additional UV modifiers on top because max returns undefined regarding modifier stack info, so I made it jump everytime you open the UV editor to the Modify panel if you are not in it.
    • kill the transform floater if you switch the object, go to a different tab (i.e create, animation,...). Opens each time you open the UV editor though
    • new rotate bounding box 90 degree snap in the Pixel Transform Floater (great for Layouting UV sets)
  • Texture Maps:
    • added again Render UV Mask. Now also works on multple Objects also works on Objects that don't have yet a UV modifier. It will delete it afterwards. Such a nice and simple button now.
    • rewrote the "Transfer UV channel Maps" in the render Texture Maps panel. It still only works with just 1 object (because of numMapChannels command missing in the UV_unwrapModifier object). But it should be more flexible as it also not forces a editAble class object anymore.
    • fixed issue (I think so) with RTT not working anymore after you used either the AO or some of the map render types from TexTools. (I think the issue was that I set the ...bakeEnabled = false; after the bake, and that option is not availbel in the default 3dsmax RTT window).
  • Multi Object: (Max2008+)
    currently supported and or made compatible (about 30% of the tools):
    • open/close UV editor
    • Render: Wire
    • Render: Mask
    • Explode UV faces
    • Split by smoothing groups
    • pack UV space
    • Relax Faces or edges
    • Stitch edges
    • Crop
    • Iron
  • Texel:
    • Pick and Set texel density have been merged in 1 button. Left click = pick texel density, right click applies a texel density on one or more objects.
    • applying texel Density now does not select UV faces and get stuck in the modify panel. That way selecting multiple objects or just one single behaves the same.

Multi Object Unwrap
As you might heard or read before I started on porting many of the functions towards the max2008 multi object UV editing compatibility but because I still want to keep functions compatible with max9 and that new setup requires a different architecture things aren't that easy to translate.
The following features are for example not yet supported in this mode:
  • Missing on this:
    • Align edge shell
    • Mirror
    • Pelt
    • Peel mapping
    • Rectify
    • Lineup/Linear
    • Normalize
    • Checker Map
    • Sort in row
  • Not intended for the future at all:
    • Get / Set Texel
    • Swap UV/3D space
    • Bake Blockout map
    • Bake AO map
    • Bake Light Tracer Map
    • Bake Cavity map
    • Bake hard Edges
    • Bake Transfer Texture

quite a big post, I will try to update my website (renderhjs.net/textools) this weekend to match the new icons and tools to the ones already available here.

Replies

• Cathodeus
    Offline / Send Message
    Cathodeus polycounter lvl 14
    Hello Renderhjs,

Was waitting your new realease. Thanks a lot.

Noticed two small problems :

-I can install the script but after restarting max if i try to launche textools got a maxscript error :

filein ((pathConfig.GetDir #scripts)+"[URL="file://\\TexTools\\TexTools_3.00.ms");--launch"]\\TexTools\\TexTools_3.00.ms");--launch[/URL] the script.

-Second problem if i switch checker while pressing the "check" button everything work fine untill you want to be back to the original shader. It will be replaced by a basic grey material.
  • Farfarer
    I get the same error :/

Edit; Ah, it's because our script directories are elsewhere so Textools gets installed there, but Max tells it that the script directory is still the default one, so it ends up looking for the file in the wrong place. Moving it over fixes that.

However elsewhere in the script, it looks for the #userScripts dir to get the images (as opposed to the #scripts dir that it looks for the textools main .ms file). So it ends up looking in two different places throughout the script.

Edit edit; Yep, fixed now. Nice one :D
  • renderhjs
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    ah thanks that was a stupid error, fixed it
    http://renderhjs.net/bbs/polycount/texture_maxscript_tools/TexTools_3.00.mzp
    so download and install again and then it should work after you quit max

edit: @Talon yes it was just because of that as the installation has moved from the 3dsmax program folder to the local user data folder which doesn't require admin rights and works with win vista and win7 versions.
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Wow, still at it I see!
    This is a great contribution to the 3d community. Thanks a lot man, your awesome!
  • onionhead_o
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    thanks a ton. this tool made my life easier.
  • DarthNater
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Nice work man! Thanks for sharing this, these are a HUGE time saver for me.
  • bbob
    That seam fixing thing is pure witchery!

WITCHERY!
  • Mark Dygert
    I lightly tested it out at work on max2010 vista 32bit. I'll test it at home later tonight on more systems a bit more thoroughly.

I love the look of the new layout!
    Nice and simplified but with all the same functionality, awesome.

The documentation is really good.
    Thanks for putting in all the time on that its one thing that really helps new users and is almost always over looked by the author.

I really like the new type in floater.
    Some great options in there like the quick pivot align, its great, as are the Align Shells, those are going to be super handy in the future.

- Is there a way to center the quick pivot align again without re-selecting?
    Maybe right clicking the button resets it or click in the center?

- Also no undo functionality for the align shells?
    MoP has an easy hack fix for that (might have come from Perna), I think you move the selection by 0 0 0 and it gives it a function to undo. You probably know what I'm talking about and there's probably a reason it won't work but undo would be great if you can swing it.

- The main toolbar doesn't follow along by default?
    I have to go into setup and toggle the "Dock to UV Editor" check box for it to attach.

- Is the normalize script the most recent version?
    MoP, recently updated it with some great improvements mostly speed, and he might be working on a few more upgrades?
  • SpeCter
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    Vig wrote: »
    I lightly tested it out at work on max2010 vista 32bit.

- The main toolbar doesn't follow along by default?
    I have to go into setup and toggle the "Dock to UV Editor" check box for it to attach.

I think this is because renderhjs doesn´t like the attach behaviour :)

@renderhjs:

I know i´ve said that before, but i love you for this tools, great job :)
  • Tumerboy
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    Sweet. Thanks again, and as always Render. You rock.
  • Kovac
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for this, renderhjs! Giving it a whirl right now.
  • Quack!
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Yes, I use your tools for Uv'ing, love the feature that renders the uvmaps to the clipboard, so simple and quick.

Downloading.

Thanks!
  • Cathodeus
    Offline / Send Message
    Cathodeus polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks Renderhjs for the fix.

-What about the problem with the "check" button exposed into my first post. Actually if i use the check button i must re assign the original shader after wich is not really friendly.

-An other problems found : if you call textools with a macro script without selecting any object. maxscript will enter into an infinite loop --> Must kill 3dsmax task and restart.
  • Vailias
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    beautiful.
    Getting now. Thanks.
  • breakneck
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Works flawlessly on Vistax64 w/max2010 - thanks renderhjs! You da man :)
  • achmedthesnake
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    hey renderjs, hope you had fun in syd on aus day :D,
    just a question - the 'website' link points to version 2.9 - and says that is compatible with max 2008..
    is it the same requirements for version 3> (i.e. will it work on max 2008 aswell?)
  • undoz
    Thanks a lot Renderhjs! This is a must have for every max user.
  • BlackulaDZ
    this is awesome man! I was playing with the camera mapping, and it went smoothly up until I tried pasting the texture into photoshop, what I had painted was correctly there but it had tons and tons of weird purple square artifacts on it. I have a feeling it just might be the computers in my schools lab... I havent tested it on my desktop yet.

here's a pic:

skoolcompsarelaem.png
  • renderhjs
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    BlackulaDZ wrote: »
    ...I tried pasting the texture into photoshop, what I had painted was correctly there but it had tons and tons of weird purple square artifacts on it.
    thats the masking color, its the area that is not visible to the camera. It should be a magenta color (RGB: 255,0,255). Because clipboard bitmaps don't support transparency this is the easiest way to select unneeded parts with the magic wand tool in Photoshop with a tolerance of 0 and not anti-alias.
    Also make sure you always copy merged from Photoshop (copy to clipboard what you see, no transparency stuff, usually [Ctrl] + [Shift] + [C])

Cathodeus wrote: »
    Thanks Renderhjs for the fix.
    1. What about the problem with the "check" button exposed into my first post. Actually if i use the check button i must re assign the original shader after wich is not really friendly.
    2. An other problems found : if you call textools with a macro script without selecting any object. maxscript will enter into an infinite loop --> Must kill 3dsmax task and restart.
    1. But where to store it?, sure I could drop it somewhere in the material editor but materials are actually applied and stored with objects. Maybe in a future version, right now maybe think of it as just a UV mapping or texturing stage where shaders and materials are done after that.
    2. can't reproduce this, even restarted max and run a few macro scripts. Though i updated the script to only execute any macroscript if the textools stuff is actually loaded.

updated and fixed some smal undo stuff:
  • BlackulaDZ
    I see... I have only one layer though, with no transparency, I flattened all my layers before exporting.
  • renderhjs
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    or just hit ctrl+shift+c, thats a very essential PS shortcut anyway.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    great job on this BTW. I have n' t had chance to try all the features, but love the mirror uv's function. real time saver. I like watching as it cycles through the uv's.
    I should get out more:)

Its mucks it up occasionally, but that's probably where the uv's are not totally identical either side.
    not sure if it identifies symmetrical uv islands though
  • Mio
    Offline / Send Message
    Mio polycounter lvl 13
    thanks for share. great work! you rock :)
  • Funky Bunnies
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    yer a champ, man!
    great work on this :D
  • smer
    Offline / Send Message
    smer polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks your tools.
    but i get an error on install
    "-- Syntax error:at bad, expected <factor>
    -- In Line: -- format "no smoothing groups!\n

here is error pic
    4331187677_77b064a166.jpg
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like the messagebox string is missing an ending quote! :o

Awesome stuff renderhjs. You're a machine!
  • renderhjs
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    smer: removed that comment, its odd but for some reason on asian computers max executes or parses commented spots.
    I remember that spot from someone else (or maybe it was you as well). Its removed now so have another try, I replaced the download link:
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Oh man, awesome, awesome!!

I will try this right away. Been using the script for a long time man, and it keeps getting better and better. Can't imagine my workflow without it now.

Cheers
  • renderhjs
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    First update for the documentation page:
    http://renderhjs.net/textools/

updated all the icons and descriptions. Some small animations are in the make and will be added sometime later. I tried to strip down all the stuff that is not content so it should load faster.
    I also added particular Youtube videos to certain tools so that more easy to consume context information is given.
  • Linkitch
    Offline / Send Message
    Linkitch polycounter lvl 13
    First off, freaking awesome plugin mate 5x:thumbup:

One thing I had a problem with though, the new Pack UV's on multiple selected objects works kind of weird. If I select parts of my UV and click the button it doesn't only sort what I have selected.
    I can't quite figure out what it's doing, sometimes it packs the entire UV space, other times it only does it on a few of the objects.

Also I have a few suggestions for some features.

First off a Align to center. Select 2 or more objects and they get aligned to either the vertical or horizontal axis right in the middle.

Secondly, something like this
    Align.jpg

Thirdly, The Pixel Unit Transform Floater you can move your selection around on the X and Y axis. How about linking that to the Arrow keys on your keyboard?
  • renderhjs
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    Updated the camera mapping script as it was behaving odd with the recently changed undo command (seems to be a bug). Behaves now the way it should. If you want to use the Camera or Seam mapping tool you should update the script:
    TexTools_3.00.mzp

Website has been updated with some additional animations and info such as the
    • installation:
      v3.0_install.gif
    • snap rotate:
      texTools_ani_snap_rotate.gif
    • camera mapping:
      texTools_ani_cammap.gif

A smal icon right click right_click_animation.gif symbolizes the secondary features for certain buttons. I just love that icon :)
  • smer
    Offline / Send Message
    smer polycounter lvl 12
    thanks your help,i try to reference MAXscript help and i find the solution.

"fn_34__split_uv_by_smoothing_groups.ms" this script original syntax mistake.

format "no smoothing groups!\n"; is not comment

wrong syntax pic
    4332864826_20161edfba.jpg

correct syntax pic
    4332837586_d0d3219f58.jpg

but i don't know how to Integration .mzp file so i fix "fn_34__split_uv_by_smoothing_groups.ms" this file
    and i find TexTools folder then Perform "TexTools_3.00.ms" file again.
    then it can work in asia max computer.

run TexTools 3.0 pic
    4332098761_e7f30494a2.jpg

Sorry, I have poor English. but thank you for the help.
  • alz
    renderhjs wrote: »
    Website has been updated with some additional animations and info

Weird --

If you go to: http://renderhjs.net/textools/
    it brings up version 2.9's page

If you go to http://www.renderhjs.net/textools/
    ...it brings up version 3.0's page

ps. Loving the new update! Thanks for all the effort :)

- Why does Crop move to the upper left and not the lower left?
    - Since Crop not only shrinks to fit, but also expands to fit, maybe "Fit" is a better title?
    - What happened to the Stack feature? Was it buggy or is there another way to do this? Ah... maybe use the Align Shells options?
    - It's sometimes hard to remember which button also supports a right-click command. Maybe put a small dot, triangle, or "R" in one of the corners to remind people there's a right-click option?

BUG with Max 2009?

- Cycling through the Checker patterns removes the original material. It cycles back to (or resets) to a simple color model.
    - The Pivot point crosshair moves when you rotate shells 90'
    - Select a poly model, if you open, close, then re-open the EDIT UV, it pops this error:

MAXScript Rollout Handler Exception
    -- No "map" function for undefined
  • Shogun3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    [EDIT] NM, make sure you save as with all filetipes it was saving as a zip/rar archive.

Im getting "Error, no temporary MZP files found:" I try redragging MZP to Viewport and nothing happens.
  • Spatz
    Offline / Send Message
    Spatz polycounter lvl 13
    AWESOME - THANKZ MAN
  • AdamB
    Really nice update, thanks.
  • BlackulaDZ
    I tried it on my desktop and all the camera mapping works! but still no luck on the school computers. I really feel it has something to do with those quadros...
  • cw
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    this is great, it's a massively useful tool! Autodesk will no doubt be inspired for the next max release .... :D
  • akeenoya
    hi,

I can't drag le .mzp file into my viewport
  • Nysuatro
    The peltmapping aint working. I use Max 2010 64 on win 7
    Someone has the same problem or am I doing some stupid shizzle :D

Btw, cogratz with the new release. its some amazing work you have done.
  • j_bradford
    Offline / Send Message
    j_bradford polycounter lvl 17
    The bake texture maps windows seems messed - in the older version I was able to assign the colors to a mesh with blockout option, now it just disapears after it pastes it to my clipboard. Is there any way to get it so I can just assign blockout colors to my highpoly and nothing else?
    THanks
  • renderhjs
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    a temporary mesh will be generated in that tool with unique material ID's and different colors on each element. That mesh is used to bake the texture map - even in previous version never did I intended to keep that mesh, so its always deleted afterwards.

If you want to have a separate function that just assigns a multi sub material to a clone of your mesh try this:
    function fn_tt_blockmap_mesh _splitType=(
    	local obj = selection[1];
    	clearListener();

--check if ScanlineRenderer is the default renderer
    	if ((classOf renderers.current) != Default_Scanline_Renderer)then(
    		if queryBox "Scanline Renderer is advised for basic RTT rendering,nswitch the current Renderer to:nDefault Scanline Renderer?" title:"Assign Scanline Renderer?" beep:true == true then(
    			renderers.current = Default_Scanline_Renderer();
    		)
    	)
    	if (superclassof obj == GeometryClass)then(

--01.) create a copy triangle mesh
    		local tmesh = copy obj;
    		convertToMesh tmesh;
    		update(tmesh);
    		--02.) collect shell arrays of the faces
    		local elem = #();

max create mode;--speed improvement 1
    		with redraw off(--speed improvement 2
    			undo off(--speed improvement 3

local numFaces = getNumFaces tmesh;

if (_splitType == 1)then(--split by Mesh Elements
    					local faceElemArray = #();
    					for f=1 to numFaces do (
    						faceElemArray[ f ] = 0;
    					)

local faceBitArray = #{1..numFaces};
    					for f in faceBitArray do (
    						if faceElemArray[ f ] == 0 then (
    							local elements = (meshOp.getElementsUsingFace tmesh f) as array;--faces as array
    							elem[elem.count+1] = meshOp.getElementsUsingFace tmesh f;--faces as bitArray
    							for i in elements do (
    								faceElemArray[i] = elem.count;
    								setFaceMatID tmesh i elem.count;--set material face ID
    							)
    						)
    					)
    				)else if (_splitType == 2)then(--split by smoothin groups
    					--got input from: 
    					--http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=2869667&postcount=7
    					local numSmoothGroups = 0;
    					local notfound = true;
    					for i in 1 to numFaces while notfound do(
    						local face_SG = getFaceSmoothGroup tmesh i;
    						if face_SG == 0 do(
    							messagebox "Every face must have a smoothing group!"
    							notfound = false;
    						)
    						numSmoothGroups = amax #(face_SG, numSmoothGroups);
    					)
    					--Apply a matrial ID to each group of faces in the array based on what smoothing group they have.
    					for f in 1 to numFaces while notfound do(
    						SG = getFaceSmoothGroup tmesh f;
    						for i = 1 to 32 do(
    							ID = bit.get SG i;
    							if ID == true then(
    								setFaceMatID tmesh f i;
    							)
    						)
    					)
    					--create empty elements array so that the following script can create the 32 colors for this type
    					for i=1 to numSmoothGroups do(
    						elem[i] = #{};
    					)
    				)else if (_splitType == 3)then(--split by material ID's

local numMatGroups = 0;
    					for i in 1 to numFaces do(
    						local id = getFaceMatID tmesh i;
    						numMatGroups = amax #(id, numMatGroups);
    					)
    					for i=1 to numMatGroups do(
    						elem[i] = #{};
    					)
    				)
    				--
    			)
    		)
    		--03.) assign random color material to each element face collection
    		function rainbowColor p =(
    			local clr = color (random 0 255) (random 0 255) (random 0 255);
    			clr.h = p*255;
    			clr.s = 255;
    			clr.v = 255;
    			return 	clr;	
    		)

tmesh.material = Multimaterial();
    		tmesh.material.numsubs = elem.count;
    		tmesh.material.materialList.count = elem.count;
    		with redraw off(--speed improvement 1
    			undo off(--speed improvement 2
    				for i=1 to elem.count do (
    					local clor = rainbowColor ((i as float)*(1.0/elem.count));
    					tmesh.material.materialList[i].Diffuse = clor;
    					tmesh.material.materialList[i].ambient = clor;
    					tmesh.material.materialList[i].selfIllumAmount = 100
    				)
    			)
    		)
    		select tmesh;
    	)
    )
    ---
    fn_tt_blockmap_mesh 1;

the last line calls that function and in this case assigns a color to each mesh element. A parameter of 2 would color it by smoothing groups, and 3 by material ID's.
  • SimonT
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    Thanks for the update!

Constructive Critique:
    I don't know why but i'm not able to install it via just drag&drop. So i have to extract the file and copy the files to the destination directories by hand - that's OK but on your new website you deleted the description where i have to put the files.

FORGET WHAT I SAID!
    The installation worked great!

Another critque: I'm using two screens: on the right i have 3ds max and ion the left i have the UV Editor. Works fine but you TexTools Bar is not able to snap to the UV editor if it's on another screen than the main window of 3ds max.
  • SimonT
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    I just need the "compress selection rotation" function again :,(
  • JordanW
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Hmmm, I was able to drag this into max and install it, I created the button on my toolbar at the top but when I press it nothing happens. I don't even get a maxscript error :\

the only thing I do see is this in the bottom of the MAXScript Listener window

"default override for Rollout:rl_textureTools = [8,81]"
    "default override for EditTextControl:edt_tex_sizeW = 512"
    "default override for EditTextControl:edt_tex_sizeH = 512"
    "default override for EditTextControl:edt_tex_padding = 4"
    "default override for EditTextControl:edt_texel_texsize = 256"
    "default override for EditTextControl:edt_texel_perunit = 512"
  • CodeFather
    Offline / Send Message
    CodeFather polycounter lvl 15
    Linear Align
    ico_straighten.gif

Hi, render, in the previous releases of TexTools, there was a useful spinner called "sn" which determined the angle for the Linear Align tool.It seems to be missing in the newer versions, could you added it somewhere, please, because it was quite useful. :)
  • Minos
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Thanks a lot renderhjs, the iron function is simply the best little tool ever created for 3ds max.
  • renderhjs
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    Linkitch wrote: »
    ..a few suggestions for some features.
    1. First off a Align to center. Select 2 or more objects and they get aligned to either the vertical or horizontal axis right in the middle.
    2. Secondly, something like this
      Align.jpg
    3. Thirdly, The Pixel Unit Transform Floater you can move your selection around on the X and Y axis. How about linking that to the Arrow keys on your keyboard?
    1. have you checked the align tools in the transform floater? ico_transform_align.gif
      you can align shells with that as well though not on their center axis but to their 4 bounding side axis:
      texTools_ani_transform_align.gif
      I think thats far more powerful as having them align based on their centroids because in that case you would still have to move them around in order to move them in a narrow UV area.
    2. Something like space evenly? can't think again of a useful use there. Because all you would care about in a UV map is the padding size between each shell and that one is already covered with the sort button: ico_line_up.gif
    3. If just linking several keyboard controls to a custom script would be that easy :( because its not. And having to manually assign macro scripts to shortcuts is not the way for such. I'll look into it but I think its not that easy or possible at all.

smer wrote: »
    thanks your help,i try to reference MAXscript help and i find the solution.
    Sorry, I have poor English. but thank you for the help.
    Your english is just fine :) I did posted a update meanwhile right? where I removed that or a similar comment. In case you want to fix stuff yourself, just open the MZP file with Winrar, Winzip or any other packer application. You should see a 'TexTools' folder, in it all the scripts are located, just drop it there and replace the existing file. The next time you drag the MZP file in the viewport and install it it will replace existing files with your modified ones.
    Anyway keep posting here as I really care a lot about the Asian community to be able to use this as well.
    Part of the reason why I did all those little animations on the website was to help people that have difficulties with the English language. I have quite a few friends from china for example and I even considered doing a translation into Chinese with their help.

alz wrote: »
    Weird --
    1. If you go to: http://renderhjs.net/textools/
      it brings up version 2.9's page
      If you go to http://www.renderhjs.net/textools/
      ...it brings up version 3.0's page
    2. - Why does Crop move to the upper left and not the lower left?
      - Since Crop not only shrinks to fit, but also expands to fit, maybe "Fit" is a better title?
    3. - What happened to the Stack feature? Was it buggy or is there another way to do this? Ah... maybe use the Align Shells options?
    4. - It's sometimes hard to remember which button also supports a right-click command. Maybe put a small dot, triangle, or "R" in one of the corners to remind people there's a right-click option?
    5. - The Pivot point crosshair moves when you rotate shells 90'
    1. clear your cache, there is just 1 server hosting my site (ctrl + F5 does clear you cache and reload the page in most browsers)
    2. Stack was very buggy because the core idea and technique where not so well planned. I want to have a feature like that but I need to restart with that, try to write something that is more reliable and works with Mesh shell instancing as well.
    3. Contextual aid was something I tried in the new GUI, but it looked always ugly and it was never that clear that there is a 2nd function. On each button however there is already a rollover hint text that usually points out that there is a 2nd function as well. Will try to add some GUI hinting within the icons with the next release.
    4. Thats just how buggy max can be at times :( but it should really do the operations from where the pivot originated to be begin with. So its more a visual update glitch in max to me.

kaburan wrote: »
    Im getting "Error, no temporary MZP files found:" I try redragging MZP to Viewport and nothing happens.
    It means that maxscript scanned your temporary files and couldn't locate the max generated temporary MZP (zip file) files.
    This usually shouldn't be the case, do you perhaps have a different windows temp directory or different Max directory or perhaps even some background tool running that cleans the temporary directory?

If it doesn't work for you I will try to create a simplified instruction manual for installing TexTools manually. Its just about copying files to certain user directories and then starting a script from the 3dsMax script panel.

BlackulaDZ wrote: »
    ... but still no luck on the school computers. I really feel it has something to do with those quadros...
    It's all software based, everything. So more likely it will be caused by some software configuration like windows or max itself.

akeenoya wrote: »
    I can't drag le .mzp file into my viewport
    A little more info than that is needed in order to investigate or try to reason the cause.

SimonT wrote: »
    1. Another critque: I'm using two screens: on the right i have 3ds max and ion the left i have the UV Editor. Works fine but you TexTools Bar is not able to snap to the UV editor if it's on another screen than the main window of 3ds max.
    2. I just need the "compress selection rotation" function again :,(
    1. Will take that into consideration, for now I did it the way it is right now because I always unplug or move screens around, and I hate hidden panels in max that I can't reset - so this is more of a precaution to avoid that.
    2. It's not gone instead the sort function already has that functionality to begin with. Just select 1 shell and hit either left or right mouse button on: ico_line_up.gif
      That way you can align or compress its orientation either horizontal or vertical. The truth is that booth functions shared the same logic from the beginning so I ditched one of them because the sort button can do booth.

JordanW wrote: »
    Hmmm, I was able to drag this into max and install it, I created the button on my toolbar at the top but when I press it nothing happens. I don't even get a maxscript error :
    the only thing I do see is this in the bottom of the MAXScript Listener window
    "default override for Rollout:rl_textureTools = [8,81]"
    "default override for EditTextControl:edt_tex_sizeW = 512"
    "default override for EditTextControl:edt_tex_sizeH = 512"
    "default override for EditTextControl:edt_tex_padding = 4"
    "default override for EditTextControl:edt_texel_texsize = 256"
    "default override for EditTextControl:edt_texel_perunit = 512"
    Well it means everything went fine but for some reason you are not able to see the panel. Do you perhaps have your start menu on the left side of the screen (vertical alignment?) because that might cover the panel instead, so check your monitor and screen setup. I can try to center it to the screen by default with the next version though.

CodeFather wrote: »
    Linear Align
    ico_straighten.gif
    Hi, render, in the previous releases of TexTools, there was a useful spinner called "sn" which determined the angle for the Linear Align tool.It seems to be missing in the newer versions, could you added it somewhere, please, because it was quite useful. :)
    Yes maybe in the options panel, I thought about that as well because sometimes snapping at 45 degrees or 15 make certainly sense.
  • JordanW
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    renderhjs wrote: »
    Well it means everything went fine but for some reason you are not able to see the panel. Do you perhaps have your start menu on the left side of the screen (vertical alignment?) because that might cover the panel instead, so check your monitor and screen setup. I can try to center it to the screen by default with the next version though.

haha, yes my start menu was on the left side and moving it fixed the problem!