Home General Discussion

Rockstar San Diego

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
jipe polycounter lvl 17
I suppose this shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who works in this industry, but it's still disheartening to read. Six months of crunch and still going? Performance warnings for not working 11+ hours/day? I know it's only one side of the story, but seriously, ugh. Hope no one else is going through crap like this right now...

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/RockstarSpouse/20100107/4032/Wives_of_Rockstar_San_Diego_employees_have_collected_themselves.php

Replies

• oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Its shit like this that makes me glad Im with an indie.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    wow, forcing them to take sick days to see a doctor on saturday?

keep taking it in the butt, rockstar employees. I can only assume none of you have ever saved up any money in the bank and expect to never be hired by anyone else ever again.

fuck do i have an awesome job. i need to complain less.

edit: that was probably too harsh. Lots of people have families to look after.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Makes me really grateful for EU labor laws.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    wer in crunch right now, 7 days a week! yay!
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    Gotta get that money money money *SQUEEEZE*
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    This isn't the first story like this I hear about RS San Diego, lots of bad stuff going on there apparently.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wer in crunch right now, 7 days a week! yay!

How do you handle that without going insane? After 2 weeks it becomes less about standing up for yourself, and more about figuring out how to physically stand up at all from sheer exhaustion.

When companies completely decouple the worker from the profitability of the final product (ie no real profit sharing unless the game sells 50 million units) why would someone destroy their health for a job?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I don't get how people in the gaming industry keep putting up with shit like that, we need a union or labor laws or something.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Because the FEAR of being replaced. Go to China and all that, or fear that they will be ostracized from the industry for sticking up for themselves. Illegal it may be, it does happen.

FEAR
    (Laughs evilly!)
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Heard rockstar north (the main one in europe) was the same. It's a shame. I don't think i could put up with it. Not for any longer than a week or two.

I will never break my back for someone else than myself. Guess my future job applications went out the door now :)
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
    makes pretty grim reading- just hope that something can be done to sort out labour laws or take R* to court if they are breaking any laws....

I think the industry really does need to start looking at sorting out a union, or at least some kind of body that can act for the employees if they feel they're getting a raw deal.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is that seriously legal to treat employees like that in the United States?

If so, I am pretty sure I will be staying in Europe. I don't mind working really long hours, but performance warnings for less than 11 hours a day? That is what i would expect from factory work in the 19th century..
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    I don't get how people in the gaming industry keep putting up with shit like that, we need a union or labor laws or something.

It's difficult. In most studios you have a range of people. Management will target the "weakest" members of the team first, then use that to pressure the ones with more clout. They ask the interns, people who it's their first job, or anyone in love with the company and doesn't want to work anywhere else. Most of the time people in this category will do the work out of fear of losing the job (and for them it probably is a valid fear). Then you have 1-3 people who could get a job elsewhere, or won't put up with it, but management will make it seem like they aren't team players, and it's their fault the game is suffering.

The phrase "failure to plan on your part, doesn't constitute an emergency on mine" always comes to mind. I've never been in a position where the game was behind because I was taking too long, it's always been that the tasks were poorly planned, or radically changed at the last minute. That'd be ok if the overtime was paid for, but to expect an employee to eat their freetime to make up for someone else's (who's getting higher salary) sweeping changes or incompetence is ridiculous.

But it's very rare for someone to stand up for themselves, almost all the power is in the hands of the company. Which is why unions would be a good thing, putting negotiating power in the hands of the workers.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bbob wrote: »
    Is that seriously legal to treat employees like that in the United States?

No, but people put up with it anyway. I mean this happens in european studios also. I know a certain German studio that does loads of unpaid overtime, which is highly illegal, but there are all of 2-3 large funded studios here, so people put up with it to work in games.

Shoot, I heard I/O interactive crunched over 10 months for Kane & Lynch, no way that's legal in Denmark.
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Indies ftw. I've got my own personal time for going to the office, I go at 5 in the afternoon and work till 9, and I do the bulk of my work at home. No stress, no fuss, not a lot of money either, but still.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poop. I think every major studio in the nordic countries do it aswell. I've been lucky so far.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meh, yeah ok..

So its the inflation of people willing to do anything to work in games that is allowing this to happen, that and the blatant lack of unions?

Depressing, really.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    The phrase "failure to plan on your part, doesn't constitute an emergency on mine" always comes to mind. I've never been in a position where the game was behind because I was taking too long, it's always been that the tasks were poorly planned, or radically changed at the last minute. That'd be ok if the overtime was paid for, but to expect an employee to eat their freetime to make up for someone else's (who's getting higher salary) sweeping changes or incompetence is ridiculous.

Abso-fucking-lutely. Well said, Ben.
  • Guriamo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guriamo polycounter lvl 17
    i just dont get what a 12hrs 6/7 days a week crunch would help the development, tired and exhausted workers just make more mistakes that needs to be fixed again

a week of crunch every now and then is completely understandable to put more polish in before an milestone, but not that it becomes the norm...
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    bbob wrote: »
    Meh, yeah ok..

So its the inflation of people willing to do anything to work in games that is allowing this to happen, that and the blatant lack of unions?

Depressing, really.

True, but sadly it's nothing new and not just in games. There's been talk of unions in all aspects of CG for years. You could substitute the word 'games' in your post with any CG / entertainment-related field and it'd be just as relevant, and just as widespread.

There's a thread entitled Unpaid Artists over at CGTalk, which details first-hand the plight of Canadian VFX artists that were shafted out of substantial sums of money in unpaid wages by the Discovery Channel which makes for a very sobering read - and it's not an isolated occurrence by any means.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    I've heard some of this long hour stuff buddies at R* SD. Didn't know it was this bad.
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If they are working on red dead redemption im fine with it :D
    Work Harder!
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @danshewan: You are right, that thread is a very sobering read indeed. Let me take the liberty to link it here, as it is quite relevant.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=2&t=652434
    David Rand wrote:
    There is plenty of competition, but also plenty of demand for digital content. I believe we need to at least begin by unionizing online to report abuse, bad business, and rotten tomatoe fx houses.

The same might well be said about game studios?
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    just imagine the working staff as ww2 airplane engine

from time to time you have to use full speed to tackle the one or other bad situation. And a good pilot knows how to use full speed wisely!

But a beginner thinks "wow, full speed is way better then flying with reduced speed.. so put the throttle to full speed and wohooooooo.."
    He will end up on the ground or learn very fast..

Well man, I think thats really the best way to explain it :poly121:

(sucking out the power of our staff and then throw them away to get new ones, would not fit this example ...)
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The studies showing the laws of diminishing returns with working hours are literally half a century old. The labor law of thermal dynamics can't be got around, no matter how hard shitty managers stamp their feet. Work a person for more than 60 hours a week for more then 2 weeks without going back to a normal 40 hour week, and you *will* get less work done than if you did (go back to 40 hours a week). Human bodies just don't work otherwise, but it makes them look good (or rather, not as bad) of they can be seen to be working their employees as hard as they can when deadlines are looming.
  • Canadian Ink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Canadian Ink polycounter lvl 12
    Video game workers need to be unionized, unless big companies suddenly grow a conscience and start treating employees like human being...which I don't see happening. I am lucky to work in an indie environment in a very laid back part of the country, but it still burns my ass to see my contemporaries being treated like this.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, from what I heard, the VFX industry has it worse than games development does... although obviously it varies hugely from case to case - there are studios and outfits who treat their employees very well, and then there are those who couldn't care less.

The best you can do at the moment, it seems, is just to try not to work for one who couldn't care less. Obviously if you have no work at all, it can be better to get *some* job just because it'll be better for your CV than McDonalds or whatever, and likely you'll get paid at least the same, and learn a lot more about the industry in the process.
  • jerry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP wrote: »
    The best you can do at the moment, it seems, is just to try not to work for one who couldn't care less.
    Let's say i'm in a situation like this. I take your advice and quit.

Now I don't have any work at all.
    Obviously if you have no work at all, it can be better to get *some* job just because it'll be better for your CV than McDonalds or whatever, and likely you'll get paid at least the same, and learn a lot more about the industry in the process.

How does this make sense. Now I just have a different shitty job :poly118:
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Well I said try not to work for one if you have the choice. Obviously if you already work for a crappy employer but you don't have any other option (apart from quitting and getting a burger-flipping job) then I'd just stick it out and just be on the lookout for any better opportunity.

If it really is so terrible that potentially taking a pay cut and/or doing something outside the industry is going to make you feel better, then obviously do that.

Circumstances are different for everyone, I'm just saying what I'd do if I was in that situation. I feel bad for those guys at Rockstar San Diego.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    Obviously if you already work for a crappy employer but you don't have any other option (apart from quitting and getting a burger-flipping job) then I'd just stick it out and just be on the lookout for any better opportunity.

Thats the problem, they can't just quit. It's easier said than done and it has nothing to do with self respect. "Sticking it out" is exactly what they are doing because theres no other choice if you want to continue working in this industry.
    The industry is competitive as we all know and "getting another games job" is another thing that is easier said than done.

I don't have a fix for this, but spreading this news out to the world where everyone who reads it can feel the intense rage against the companies in question is a start. Probably wouldn't do any good long-term though since assuming the companies in question end up closing down, new ones will form and treat their workers the same way until they close down and the cycle continues.
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    It's a severe catch-22. Employees are trapped if they want to make a living and employers are naive or don't care. It's sickening seeing comments on gamasutra, kotaku and other outlets where people say it just is that way or "deal with it or quit." People think simply because its the game industry and it's "always been that way" that it's perfectly acceptable to work 12 hour days. It's just such a bummer that the overall mindset, willingly or unwillingly is if you want to work in games you have to set aside your diginity and rights as a human being and simply accept being an overworked cog or your going to get replaced by someone who still has a soul that the man can overwork, burn out and replace. Just like what was said, it's a fear of being out of work and companies find it perfectaly acceptable to use that to help the bottom line.

I think whats most disheartening is hearing other game developers expect these type of work days to be normal and are perfectly cool with it since there so hardcore and macho and all.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I think whats most disheartening is hearing other game developers expect these type of work days to be normal and are perfectly cool with it since there so hardcore and macho and all.

Who are these people?
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    I know I've had conversations with people, but even just from seeing some comments on kotaku, or gamasutra, which either haven't been exposed to this or are just lying, Heres a few direct qoutes just for kicks though.

timothy.rawcliffe
    01/08/10

Fuck! These people need to get over it.. Im working on a way less high profile game myself. And working about 12 hour days, 6 days a week.. along with about 100 other people here.

The thought process over here is: "if you don't like it, quit, and there are 30 other qualified people in line behind you trying to get in the industry". Which, while dick-ish and unfair, is ENTIRELY true ( at least from what I have experienced ).

If you can't handle it, made 20k~$ more per year and do some boring database software ( or film industry stuff if you are into 3d ).

EVERY studio has crunch times ( which is what Im sure this is with RDR coming out soon ). I have heard stories from some of my seniors here that some crunches can go well into a year! No one else is having their cake and eating it too, so why should you?

lulfas
    01/08/10

Welcome to life in the video game industry. There is always another person who will do your job, and they'll be willing to put in the hours and not complain.

mangajunky
    01/08/10

WittyUserName: It doesn't matter what's fair or even legal in this economy. If you want a job in the industry you love, you'll put up with a lot of indignities and companies will take advantage of that. - It doesn't have to make sense to you.

I think the mindset mostly comes from fresh grads, or people with less ties that are just eager to work, I guess partially being naive and desperate which of course is a perfectly acceptable fault.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Yeah, I got a friend who works in the VFX industry/commercials, and he got crazy hours, sometimes 12 hours/day including weekends aswell, and its not just "crunchtime" sometimes he gets entire projects to finish in like 1/3rd of the timeframe it actually takes :P

At massive we have done crunchtime, but it was more or less voluntary, we got food and plenty of parties for it, so it was not all bad ^^ No-one was really forced to do it.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Nah MoP he's right. I've heard that bullshit attitude a lot, especially on places like CGTalk and that. I'd say all the big studios have people who think this way. Personally I prefer to have a life. Paid overtime is OK, unpaid, no way.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Perhaps it would be wise not to work your ass off for the life that you lose by doing it?
  • ShadowFox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty scary reading through articles like this, makes you think that something that the employees worked so hard to get to and what they (possibly) enjoy is being turned into something thats making their lives miserable to an extent. long hours, lack of social contact, fear of money.

DOOM AND GLOOOOM!!

How the hell do companies get to the point where they actually have to start stretching their employees to the brink? is it not a time management issue where someone has dropped the ball?

surely if you plan for the allocated time, potential hiccups, changes in technology this could be avoided?

just my thoughts :) i believe in the workers actually being human having lives and that if you give them better working standards the work they produce will outdo the time. im guessing ill get slaughtered for this as im new, inexperienced to the industry and i will have to toughen up to the fact that its going to be a tough time when i get in there as im up against competition.

but sensibly speaking, why should anyone have the attitude posted by ericdigital that people who've already put their time in to an industry should be threated with the prospect of being replaced just due to that crunch. catch 22 i know.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Who are these people?

Im going to get some grief from some of the Epic people here, but here is an example
    Mike Capps, head of Epic, and a former member of the board of directors of the International Game Developers Association, during the IGDA Leadership Forum in late 08, spoke at a panel entitled Studio Heads on the Hot Seat, in which, among other things, he claimed that working 60+ hours was expected at Epic, that they purposefully hired people they anticipated would work those kinds of hours, that this had nothing to do with exploitation of talent by management but was instead a part of “corporate culture,” and implied that the idea that people would work a mere 40 hours was kind of absurd.

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/45949/Epic-Runs-a-Sweat-Shop

I have also gotten this confirmed from Tom Buscaglia? (Game Lawyer) who in arguments with Mike . Mike has pretty much come out that overtime is expected and he thinks its justified with the pay epic workers receive.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    I've been in this type of situation, and I have friends who still are. I love working in the games industry, but when things are so busy that I have to live at the office. It's not worth it anymore. I'd rather have less pay and spend time with my wife and kid.

hopefully people will keep speaking out like this, and maybe there is a chance it will make some change.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    jerry wrote: »
    Let's say i'm in a situation like this. I take your advice and quit.

Now I don't have any work at all.

How does this make sense. Now I just have a different shitty job :poly118:

You'd have a job that gives you consistent hours and time to spend with friends and family and on yourself. And no, I wouldn't work in fast food, but I have little doubt I could head back to a restaurant that could get me at least 40k a year. Not to mention all the other jobs out there that are related to the field we're in. The job market isn't that terrifying, but you have to be flexible. Someone like you is just going to get continually ass raped because you're too scared to step back and consider other options.
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They should just hire people that have no life. They could just live there!
  • jipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jipe polycounter lvl 17
    Out of curiosity, has anyone ever negotiated a contract that allows you to re-negotiate compensation based on length of a crunch? I mean, there's the standard time-and-a-half for OT, and double-time if you exceed an even greater number of hours (at least that's true for the Animation Guild out in LA), but what if you're working 60-80 hour weeks for an extended period of time? What if your contract stated that you could re-negotiate pay after a certain amount of crunch?

Maybe no company would ever accept that in a contract, but it's the only way I can see of actually catching a company's attention (besides quitting). Knowing that they're going to have to start paying 1.5x or 2.x for regular hours if crunch exceeds a certain number of weeks would certainly be a motivating factor to A) plan the project better, and B) not run employees into the ground. Money talks, right?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Disco Stu, your not helping, if you don't have any decent comments or thoughts don't post, this is a serious issue that effects thousands of people and their families and most of them feel helpless.

Anymore than 1.5 months of crunch is too much (even that is a little extreme).
    they need to hire more people if they are going to be this busy.

Most of the big studios don't seem to care about employees.
  • jerry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir wrote: »
    You'd have a job that gives you consistent hours and time to spend with friends and family and on yourself. And no, I wouldn't work in fast food, but I have little doubt I could head back to a restaurant that could get me at least 40k a year. Not to mention all the other jobs out there that are related to the field we're in. The job market isn't that terrifying, but you have to be flexible. Someone like you is just going to get continually ass raped because you're too scared to step back and consider other options.

I was trying to make a point, namely that quitting your current Game Industry job is hardly a solution because a new Game Industry job where you work "normal" hours is not easily found. So you have to either "sit it out" and be on the lookout for another gig or quit and take the risk of finding another job within one or two months (or however long you can last) that DOES respect the health of their employees. Either that or you have to find a job in another industry, which is totally fine if you don't care but I just think alot of people here do care about their line of work.

Sure there are endless options but it's not always so simple.

I remember a thread like this from a few years back maybe where RobGalanakis made some interresting comments about unionizing. Anyone remember that? I can't find it.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    Disco Stu wrote: »
    They should just hire people that have no life. They could just live there!

Game companies should make some "on call rooms" like they have in hospitals!

Speaking of hospitals and people with no life outside of work;
    http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2009/10/workhour-restrictions-harms-resident-surgeon-training.html

Yes the majority of residents in that survey thought 80 hours a week is either too few or a "barrier" to their learning. That's some hardcore stuff right there! How do they want to do that much and not be fatigued? Or they are fatigued but still want to do it... Their dedication is truly amazing.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    something certainly needs to be done, its heading back to victorian times
    I honestly believe that some of the the employers really think that having free fruit in the kitchen is adequate compensation:0
    Its seems worse in The US though - most places I worked at didn't really do crunch, but they were all independent developers( must be a cionnection here)

we worked hard, but generally finished around 5-30
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Maybe it sounds really stupid and only applies to certain places. What about just saying NO to 12 hours days when asked to do them?

If a few respected and influential employees simply refuse to take in the crazy schedule (think ADs/leads/seniors), then certainly talks will happen and situation can start changing, at least in some teams?

I met quite a few juniors or even older artists/coders who seem okay to work stupid hours just because 'its cool to work in games'. Sooo stupid!
    I personally pull out some extra hours when I feel like it (getting close to the completion of a cool asset, I sometimes pull out a 9PMer just for the satisfaction of getting it done and moving on) but I still don't get the point of 12h/days weeks. I mean it just doent work.... If others depend on your work to accomplish their own (model to rig...), then it has to be planned on a 8h schedule.

Also I noticed that when crunch happen, it sometimes is because the 'big picture' deadline had not been set earlier. If you know what is expected from your team to deliver roughly a year or 6 months in advance, then you can plan accordingly. But being asked something like, 'oh btw to finish this up you'll have to work 12h/day because it all has to be finished in 2 months from now and I think your team cannot do it in 8h days!' just makes no sense and I think I would start being all european and french and annoyingly bitchy if this was asked from me.

I understand that studio varies. I have been lucky enough to work on projects never requiring crunch, but even on such occasions I have seen people willing to overstress themselves 'for free' so to speak. So yeah maybe it's just a matter of responsible, influential team members saying NO to schedule changes ?

P
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    pior wrote: »
    Maybe it sounds really stupid and only applies to certain places. What about just saying NO to 12 hours days when asked to do them?

P
    I have definately seen people stand up and refuse to do endless crunch, and then get fired. You would need a situation where a bunch of folks stand up at once...i.e. a union type situation. Too bad I don't see any signs of game (or CG) unions forming.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a question. The EA wives did this before the rockstar wives. Did EA ever change?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yup Kevin I can see that. I think an art grunt has not much power on that, because of being easily replaceable and not involved in the planning process.
    But if the lead refuses the schedule because well, he simply wasn't informed well enough beforehand of what his team would have to output?

Then again places and people vary for sure.