Home General Discussion

Rockstar San Diego

Replies

• Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    ZacD wrote: »
    Someone needs to make a real good documentary about games.

I saw one years ago about Microsoft, it was excellent. I think it was on AnE or Discovery? It followed Crimsons Skies, then it was shut down, went to the pitch of the last oddworld game, then when Crimsons Skies team started up again months(years?) later it followed it.

It showed the process, the hardships, and the randomness of game development. I didn't catch the name of it(or remember what channel) as it was during Christmas at a family memebers house; but man, it was a straight up interesting documentary without a crazy gimmick.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Hey Murdoc, I will try search for it, it would be good to direct friends that are intrested in what I do. :)
    It seems it was a series and not one clip they way you are talking about it?
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Apparently it was called The X Factor: Inside Microsoft's XBox, but I can't seem to find it.

http://www.filmoasis.com/releases.html?details=xfactor
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll translate what most people hear:
    ZacD wrote: »
    This is what I tell someone.

"I blocked out a the model with cubes and cylinders. (AH HA! This is easy!)
    I then modeled a sub-div version.
    (sub-div basically means it still retains it shape when you add divisions, and its essential to control the divisions by having a strong understanding of edge flow and topology) (Is he done talking? I want to say something.)
    Sculpted that in zbrush.
    (A program that simulates sculpting by subdividing the mesh into tens of millions of polygons, (a character in a game is normally around 8k))
    Re-topologized it in 3D coat. (Now he's just making up crap to cover up that his job is cake.)
    (make the final lowpoly mesh for the game)
    Baked the normal, AO, and cavity maps in xnormal.
    (Normal maps captures surface detail in the xyz axises and bakes that down into a texture, Ambient occlusion basically simulates how light bounces and darkens detail in those areas of the texture)
    Painted the diffuse and spec in photoshop. (Holy hell he's still going, I forgot what I was going to say)
    Added more detail to the normal map using crazy bump and the diffuse.
    Used marmoset toolbag to preview the textures to make sure everything was looking good and make tweaks. (I bet if I slip away he'll never even notice)
    Finally brought into the unreal engine, set up the materials, and various other settings before baking the lighting.

One object done, a thousand left to go. And that's not even talking about the characters, animation, scripting, particle effects, simulation, lighting, skinning, etc etc.

And this is me barely scratching the surface."
    (look see he didn't even know I was gone)
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    haha so true vig.

That's why I just sigh and tell them that yes, it's the easiest thing in the world and that they're dumb for being accountants.
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    danshewan wrote: »
    Apparently it was called The X Factor: Inside Microsoft's XBox, but I can't seem to find it.

http://www.filmoasis.com/releases.html?details=xfactor

Ah thanks for finding the name; I really should have just did a google search myself, I found it really interesting at the time so I will need to hunt down a copy of it somewhere, but might be one of those things lost to the ages.

edit:
    Hmm, a bit too pricey; http://ffh.films.com/id/6064/The_X_Factor_Inside_Microsofts_Xbox.htm

Interesting, it says the prices include public performance rights. If I was still in Vancouver, what a few of us could do is buy it and get the Cinemetheque to show it; would be good for industry people and students alike.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    man... Maybe there is a place to go rent that or something, it actually looks like a good watch.

Anyone else remember the "How It's Made" show when they went to Ubisoft Montreal to watch them make Prince of Persia... I think it was Warrior Within, I thought that one did an ok job at giving the viewer a brief glimpse into development.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    So. If anyone out there is quietly in this situation. Not that you have time to be at message boards. I talked to my HR rep. Small company. She agreed that unfortunately many times at larger companies, HR works for the benefit of the management, not the employees.

She did have an idea. Salary position requirements in California are VERY explicit. She recommended just asking for the salary requirements from the company (nicely). The way she is saying is she believes that the salary position is being misused to pay them less if they otherwise were hourly (which would require them to follow a tight schedule because of the overtime they then would have to pay with the current mismanagement).

Salary is usually very specific to degrees and/or things like being in a position of responsibility. Ask the company, or if your afraid to stand out even for this. Go seek the California requirements for this sector.

Here is a place to start with help:
    http://www.laborlawtalk.com/