Home General Discussion

DAY Z : Mod for ARMA II (Zombie Apocalypse Survivalist FPS/RPG)

Replies

• eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    Stealthy players will never get compensated if they avoid battles, which goes against the basic idea of 'chance', to make things worse, you spend hours doing nothing, you get nothing in return including exploration reward. Also wasting all of your ammo on a hoarde, only to find a new weapon, which while good, only ends up being served as the 'next' checkpoint till the next weapon.

That is the one thing you mentioned that isn't true, stealth is one of the main thing about entering a town, as it means you will avoid wasting half your ammo on clearing the town just for a can of beans.

And it does include popping one or two zombies in the head without alerting the rest of the horde, with doing a mistake ending up with you and 20 zombies after you, and they wont stop.

Lack of objectives can be a bit clear, but I'll blame that on it being a really early alpha, there is just a few things in there atm, with vehicles being barely in, in the future it might include building bases and gathering supplies there plus fuel for your vehicles amongst other things.

Also, the engine behind arma2 is one clunky piece of shit.

FractaL wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a way to get this mod without spending a dime on the game?

I saw a demo version of Operation Arrowhead, but I'm not gonna download it if it wont work. I will not justify spending 30 bucks on a mod, especially if I won't ever play the real game. War simulators are not my kind of game.

Most likely never, until a stand-alone game is released at some point,

Yet having to buy the game doesn't seem to be an issue for people as arma2 is up on the best sellers on steam now, hopefully this should send a signal to other companies that don't see any worth in including sdk's.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Co-worker got jumped hard :(
    I was out of ammo, couldn't help.

562239_3387991693585_584168780_n.jpg
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRpPIyJDSEQ

These guys are f-ing hilarious or It's just me.
    Better to watch the whole thing but 18:00 minutes /cry lmao.
    [/edit]
  • Jeremy Tabor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Tabor polycounter lvl 13
    $!nz wrote: »
    18:00 minutes /cry lmao.

AHAHAHAHA. This game looks awesome
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    this looks effing brilliant.. I got ArmaII loved the game.. its not that clunky..

pity Im in the arse end of nowhere at the moment and have to steal wireless access...
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah I bought the Combined Operations or whatever its called on Steam. I already own retail ArmA II but I thought, what the heck! I also decided to buy a new spankin computer with it as well. xD
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Co-worker got jumped hard :(
    I was out of ammo, couldn't help.

Tell the truth, the horde was after you both so you shot him in the knee so that you could escape!
    Yeah I bought the Combined Operations or whatever its called on Steam. I already own retail ArmA II but I thought, what the heck! I also decided to buy a new spankin computer with it as well. xD

Combined operations is a pack of arma2 and the expansion, you only needed to buy the expansion :P

But now you have an extra copy to give to someone for some extra zombie fun.
  • DeadlyFreeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeadlyFreeze polycounter lvl 17
    If your still on the fence, get it. I dropped the $30 today and its by far the most fun I've had in years. I haven't had my heart pound so fast from a video game, shits intense.
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    You only have to buy the expansion as you can just download the demo Arma 2. Just a notice who for those who don't wanna spend a large sum of money to just play a mod.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tell the truth, the horde was after you both so you shot him in the knee so that you could escape!

Lol I am not Shane! ;)

The server was set to a harder settings after it rebooted, it seemed. Walkers had much better hearing/vision. I was sneaking through town slowly, then two walkers came at me for no reason (they were behind a building). I had to put them down. Then four more came from the gunfire. Took out two, then got low on ammo (only like 4 shots left). So I ran..
    The running attracted more and more walkers as I ran. I ran for 15min to catch up with my friend, by which time, I had about 20 walkers on my arse. I turned around and fired off the last 4 rounds, killing 2 more. After that though, it was up to my friend. He kept firing then running, firing then running. But eventually they hit him and he started bleeding. I couldn't hold them off without ammo so he could bandage his wounds, so he bled out :'(
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Ah its fun finding your friend after 3 hours of looking and sitting on a roof sniping zombies that are chasing him while he gets to you. This mod is worth the patients and bugs.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Holy shit im hooked!

So you only need the Arma 2 demo? I cant believe how poor their official homepage is, it doesnt give out the right information...

But man this is giving such an awesome and totaly new experience unlike anything else I have seen!
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy shit im hooked!

So you only need the Arma 2 demo? I cant believe how poor their official homepage is, it doesnt give out the right information...
    Tekoppar wrote: »
    You only have to buy the expansion as you can just download the demo Arma 2. Just a notice who for those who don't wanna spend a large sum of money to just play a mod.

If this is true all will purchase, someone verify?
    I don't know but this is good marketing I guess cause by their records from here:
    You have to buy a few items to have a decent experience. :poly117:

I'll try it, I guess.
    Demo links
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    I've been living vicariously through the youtube vids- the atmosphere and tension of the game/mod looks brilliant. I love the pvp aspects.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You need ArmA II and ArmA: Operation Arrowhead to play.

DayZ uses the PMC character models from the ArmAII Private Military Company expansion. A "lite" version ships with Operation Arrowhead. But the textures are low res. If you want high res character models/textures, you need to buy the Private Military Company expansion for $9. It's worth it IMO. The expansion comes with a whole new campaign, models and weapons to mess with outside of DayZ.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    somehow I still enjoyed it even though I didn't find any supplies, didn't shoot anything and got killed from behind by a bandit.

I'd prefer seeing regular joe models rather than PMC d-bags, I wonder if they'd like some help from Polycount fans.
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    There are regular joe models, though admittedly, not that great, as they are NPC characters, and aren't as high quality as the usual player models. But all models are 100% playable. They just chose PMC models.

Also, no reason why PC can't do some models for Dayz, i'd imagine they'd be quite happy with some quality models from the PC community. If not character models(which would be great) then some nice vehicles, or weapons. They've already introduced 2 news weapons, so why not more (the muzzle loader and the crossbow).
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Modeling for ArmA is a real pain in the ass, just so you know. I guess we could talk to the dev team, see if maybe they'd be up for a DayZ art competition? They can place new content for everything, even buildings. So it'd be something pretty cool, if the community was down.
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    Regarding making models for them; http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=15

This specific part.
    Q: Can I join the 'DayZ Development Team?'

A: Send us an email to dayzdevteam@gmail.com with details about what you do and how you can help us out. If possible attach some reference work such as 3D models you have made and we'll take a look at it and get back to you ASAP.
  • DeadlyFreeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeadlyFreeze polycounter lvl 17
    Ya I grabed BI's little SDK they have, it's like Hammer....minus 99% of the documentation.
  • THE 5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THE 5 polycounter lvl 14
    Haven't touched Arma for ages, but this looks like I soon will again.
    How is the day/night cycle, realtime or that 2h realtime per day? Would suck to be only able to play at nighttime :/
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I've already been talking to the Day Z dev team about some art needs of theirs*, I'll keep you guys posted.

*It's one guy.
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    Modeling for ArmA is a real pain in the ass, just so you know. I guess we could talk to the dev team, see if maybe they'd be up for a DayZ art competition? They can place new content for everything, even buildings. So it'd be something pretty cool, if the community was down.

Oh yes, i'm well aware of how much of a pain it is, i'm busy doing some vehicles for an OA mod.

But it is easier when you have the p3d plugin for modo, makes it a great deal easier, O2 is rubbish, but for final config and naming, it's fine i suppose.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THE 5 wrote: »
    How is the day/night cycle, realtime or that 2h realtime per day? Would suck to be only able to play at nighttime :/

Yep, it's realtime.
    But there are US/EU servers. If you are in the US and get off work after dark, just join a EU server and it'll be daytime :)

@Adam - Awesome. Amazing that it's just one guy. I'd be more than willing to lend a hand.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Adam, awesome idea. Would love to give the guy more support for something like this. I really, really hope the ARMA II guys are talking to him.. he's making them a lot of money right now.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    It's one guy?? Amazing! Mad respects! I will make him a sweet rifle.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Arma2 is an extremely good game in general! worth trying out the actual game too.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    ErichWK wrote: »
    It's one guy?? Amazing! Mad respects! I will make him a sweet rifle.

I could definitely see this mod being given proper assets for where it lacks, like zombie models, some weapons/items, or player models.
  • THE 5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THE 5 polycounter lvl 14
    Yep, it's realtime.
    But there are US/EU servers. If you are in the US and get off work after dark, just join a EU server and it'll be daytime :)

@Adam - Awesome. Amazing that it's just one guy. I'd be more than willing to lend a hand.

K, thanks ;)
    Just died the first time after 5 minutes walkign arround, hehe :p
    Gotta see if I find some people to join up with :)
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    would love to contribute in some way. so +1 to that Adam
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Stubbles - How's the lag on the EU servers?
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam wrote: »
    Stubbles - How's the lag on the EU servers?

Depends really. I've gotten anywhere from 120ms to 200ms for ping on the EU servers. So when zombies rush, the pull matrix moves sometimes, teleport through walls, etc.

So far, Dallas 3 (or any of the Legion-hosted servers) are the best ones I've played on.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF wrote: »
    would love to contribute in some way. so +1 to that Adam

I'm in for some of that too, Seriously...
    Thanks, or I can ask the guy, either way.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    eld wrote: »
    That is the one thing you mentioned that isn't true, stealth is one of the main thing about entering a town, as it means you will avoid wasting half your ammo on clearing the town just for a can of beans.

And it does include popping one or two zombies in the head without alerting the rest of the horde, with doing a mistake ending up with you and 20 zombies after you, and they wont stop.

Lack of objectives can be a bit clear, but I'll blame that on it being a really early alpha, there is just a few things in there atm, with vehicles being barely in, in the future it might include building bases and gathering supplies there plus fuel for your vehicles amongst other things.

Also, the engine behind arma2 is one clunky piece of shit.

I guess it is the Engine, because of the random spawning nature of the zombies, I couldn't get near some of the areas I wanted to, even with stealth, and the shooting of my weapon to cap a runner before it charges me did very little in terms of avoiding any kind of attraction from the WHOLE TOWN I was in.

Basically, if you played L4D, imagine that every shot = sirens being set off.

Honestly, if you have ARMA, you won't lose out on much, but I don't have ARMA, so the current state of the game/mod isn't exactly worth 30$ at this point.
  • slipgatecentral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipgatecentral polycounter lvl 13
    it worth every dollar
    as someone said, most fun I had in years, from 4+ hours of gameplay
    they'll continue to fix it, but in it's current state I can't say its unplayable. Some annoying glitches with inventory and ladders mostly, and that's it.

I think it's freaking cool to find some weapon and avoid using it because ammo is so valuable and hard to find. Even if you don't know what happens when you pull the trigger, lol.

Not sure if this has been posted already, really fun gameplay video, better than both seasons of Walking Dead, haha
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRpPIyJDSEQ"]The Days Ahead - Part 1 - Welcome to New Chernarus - YouTube[/ame]
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    ok I bought and downloading AO now <_< damn you all!

even if theres no way of starting a server, is there a way we can agree on a EU and a US server that we favor and that most of us will try to play on? I assume that the servers that are run are some what constant?
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    Cool, looks like a Stalker MMO with zombies. Also WOW Arma2 pack is top seller on Steam lol. That`s pretty amazing for a one man MOD for a game that probably sold like 2 copies in the past 2 years :D Couldn`t help but buy it myself just to see what`s all the fuss is about.
  • slipgatecentral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipgatecentral polycounter lvl 13
    I just join any low-ping server with open slot, there's not many to choose from atm.
    your characters data saved in central database and it doesn't really matter which server you're playing on, it's the same character.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bit the bullet too and also posted a message to the creator to get the ball rolling on to assistance the mod.

1 Hour to go then It's on, like donkey kong, looks like I will start in the night time but XD let's hope It's fun around that time if nothing else.
    Anyone new 2 wants to team up let me know or your on the hit list. ;)

Also LOL!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXxSMdyCUM8&feature=player_embedded#!
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    the current state of the game/mod isn't exactly worth 30$ at this point.

I've spent $60 on full retail games that were 1/10th the fun of this alpha build. It's extremely rare when I can be playing a game and 7hrs vaporize, feeling like 2hrs tops. Minecraft was one of the other rare games to do that for me. It'll keep getting better, too. ;D
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Just watching vids of people playing this is more fun than full price games i have played...
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    got the Arma2 Free and bought the AO expansion, unzipped the mod files into whatever folders, everything went smooth :D

4AM here now.. time for sleep .... good luck with that
  • Paradan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so I totally understand people thinking that the ARMA2 engine is a clunky piece of poo, but you gotta realize that there isnt another single game out there that does anything close to what it does. all the AI pathing in a huge open world, ballistics for every shot (some rounds disappear at a max range), AI looking, and reporting to other AI. its amazing that they can get all that running on a single PC.

ok, ill get off my soap box now.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tracy and I were going on an adventure in Ghernogorsk when we heard a zombie swarm and ran into an apartment. Unfortunately he mistook me for a charging zombie and capped my ass.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    ya, it was a heart wrenching loss, i dont know how i'll go on without you. i'll go with more ammo and food than before. but it will be tough!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Was that corpse we found in Cherno your last teammate?
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JM, that is exactly why I love this mod, It is fun and funny at the same time.

I just had my 1st run through, didn't get to do much since I didn't play the regular game to learn all the in's and out's to get a handle on things before this mod but I capped 1 zombie and lived while running in the night.

Really difficult once you lose blood and no one to bandage you (I'm guessing).
    I had 2 other gents follow me but they were new also and just left me behind.
    SPYDER638 or something, the other guy for whatever reason I couldn't see his name.

Stood around alone a while and they returned with 1 shot in their starter gun and about 15 zombies, my crippled ass ran but just my luck I took the unfriendly's with me.
    Ran about 2 miles passed out 3 times I thought they had me cause I saw one run over my passed out body, I got up and decided I wanted to live so I logged. ;)

I'm 1 - 0 go me! :)
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    This game turned me into a monster! now I shoot anybody that points a gun at me... can't trust anyone :(
  • Tokoya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tokoya polycounter lvl 7
    Today I was much more successful. Finally metup with my buddy, managed to get a winchester, a map, and a few bloodbags. We were scouting around electrovodsk for awhile, unfortunately when we decided to leave he got swarmed by a dozen zombies or so and died, but a few secobds later the server crashed so we are hoping his death wasnt sent to the server
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Finished an epic 3 hour session tonight with Uly.

Holy smokes, that was probably the best bit of gaming I've had in years. This game (mod) has a sense of accomplishment only rivaled by Minecraft. It's completely immersive while being just as buggy.

Once you decide to get of the coast line and go in-land does the game get to a place of survival and exploration.