Home Stickies

What Are You Working On? 2012 Edition

Replies

• woodesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jramauri - did you ever play Wow ? the armour screams the warriors wrath set.
    keep up the hand painted stuff, not enough of it done.
  • Pangahas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pangahas polycounter lvl 10
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @pogop, starting to look great dude, the materials could do with being defined better (most on the scooter), but thats down to whether you're going for a realistic style (which CE3 is more suited for) or a more stylised route. That being said, you've chosen a great environment to create in the engine as you've made use of alot of the best tools. Great work! MOAR.

Ive been messing around with a bioshock style scene recently, just "sketching" around rahter than doing anything too serious. I havent taken anything into Zbrush yet, but I will once ive made sure that all the elements of the composition "fit" together. Hopefully will get it into engine too. Any critique would be great, im struggling to ensure that each element conforms to the art style, (art deco, elegance combined with steam-punk mechanics) and to keep the noise to a minimum whilst selling the composition.

bioshockdoorwip2.jpg
  • Miche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Scott,

This looks sweet, the only thing I can mention so far is that I get the feeling that the letters aren't attaching to the door.. Other than that, I want to see more :)

jramauri: Nice, that reminds me a bit of the Deathspank-style. A couple of things though:
    I don't understand att all how the shoulderpads are attatched to him..
    Second of all, have you tried making his hands bigger? I feel like doing it for some reason ^^ Other than that good job!

PogoP: Sweet scene! Do want to be there right now! Keep it up!
  • eY3lEs5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    suburbbum: Dude, that weapon looks B.A. I really like the details in the mace head and the bottom hilt piece.
    Quaggs: YDG? :)
    PogoP: Looks good! I like your lighting, and your texture work is excellent. Just wanted to point out a seam running on the inside of the moped. I'm currently battling a seam in my scene that I believe is in my spec map but haven't been succcessful.
    scotthomer: Wow, awesome hi-poly details. Might be a noob question, but how did you achieve the grating/fencing/diamond shapes on the main door?
    Teuta: I'm not a character artist, but I like! With the way he's holding the bow and arrow, I don't think you have to move the arrow regardless if he shoots the bow horizontally or vertically.

An update from last night, I'd like to say I'm almost there, some fixes/adjustments here and there.
    wip18b.jpg
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    nice work there Teuta
  • Miche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Teuta: Nice work, looks sweet. The only thing I can mention about the "enemy" is that his fingers and the thumbs tapers of a bit too much for my taste.. Other than that, great job and good luck with your studies :)

Miche
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    dd_boss_slime_king_08.jpg
    dd_boss_slime_king_09.jpg

more texture work done. I really dont get how some of you guys get such heavy painted looks into your next gen work without losing the details of the baked maps :S But progress guys!
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Cute, seforin! Love the grin! As for your comment about texturing:

It's about edges! Slam some higher contrast paint on there -- use serious contrast in colors, go warm to cool, and dont be afraid to leave stuff pretty un-blended. suburbbum's mace is a great example of going seriously bold and it looking very natural in execution. Try something more like this!
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    @eY3lEs5: Looking pretty good! Only crit I can think of would e to make the red from the lava a bit more intense.

Still working away at this. I ended up redoing the roof and a few other models because I should have planned them out better. They weren't snapping together right and had a lot of gaps.

oaxPZ.jpg
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    woodesh: thank you man!

Miche: I tried.. But believe me. He looks unbalanced, with bigger hands. I draw this guy many times. And experimented a lot of things :)

Seforin: I believe you can lower the value of your normal map, like in this example. Textures will show better then.
  • MGrecke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MGrecke polycounter lvl 7
    Heres two of my latest personal pieces! both were lots of fun!

blueman_by_go_maxpower-d4roqv7.jpg

battle_dirty_orcs_by_go_maxpower-d4sbuhp.jpg
  • richwderby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    richwderby polycounter lvl 6
    @scotthomer - thats looking great so far

Update on the lighting:

6cb8ypt3.jpg
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Biofrost: That scene has come a long way, good work!
  • RockSPb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RockSPb polycounter lvl 5
    bmpt5.jpg
    bmpt6.jpg
    bmpt7.jpg
    BMPT (Russian Tank Support Fighting Vehicle)
  • ikonane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ikonane polycounter lvl 7
    ^ Horrible render but fantastic modeling!
  • RockSPb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RockSPb polycounter lvl 5
  • Seraph Fawkes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seraph Fawkes polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome stuff here!
    @ Teuta nice one, like the details
    @ jramauri awesome! I'm fan of handpainted style, can you show your uv? sweet
    @ suburbbum i want that mace, in my WoW, now! ^__^

Here's humble doodling with zbrush and photoshop on lonely evening.
    dzb5h2.jpg
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Miche - Thanks man! I agree with you, thats mostly because they are actually floating.. hmmm its abit of a thinker, but im sure I can fix that. Might need the lettering to be inset into the mesh of the door to make it look alittle more convincing. Cheers for that. :D

eY3lEs5 - Thanks dude! your scene is looking great, my only critism is that the floor close to the camera seems quite low res, but the depth and composition is great. :D Ill write up a quick tutorial once I get my work-thread up! :)

richwderby - Thanks bro! Your scene is coming along nicely, could definately do with a more dynamic camera angle to sell the scene. :D
  • cR45h
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cR45h polycounter lvl 7
    Hey guys, I'm new here. I'm a hard surface texture artist whannabe:)

1911marmo.png
  • eY3lEs5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost: Thanks for the crit! Your scene has come along nicely. Something I learned with my current scene is to properly plan ahead; I had to backtrack and redo a lot of work in the last week or so. Keep at it, can't wait to see yours done :)
    richwderby: Your lighting is getting there, much improved from your last post. You have some nice color emmissives that can create some cool pools of colored light, don't be afraid to have more conrasting lights and darks in your scene. At least that's what I think could make the scene pop some more.
    RockSPb: UNGH! Nice tank, and cool texture work on the shark. You plan on Low-Polying and texturing that tank?
    scotthomer: Thanks for the crit! I believe my stain decal is what looks low res, I think I scaled it up too much. I'll adjust that once I get home later. Looking forward to your next update on that Deco style piece, and your tut :)
  • Superfail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cR45h: Nice job like all the details. Mabye you will have a smother normolmap on the grip. i know it has that material but if you just take and bring the sharpness of the surface down and mabye get the feeling of that someone has hold it a lot of times... that will be a awesome pice.
  • Dagon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dagon polygon
    Trying out the high poly to low poly method, I made the base models of the rocks in blender, Then exported and sculpted in Sculptris and then imported back into blender to bake a normal map, And from there I went into photoshop and to create the diffuse map, I desaturated the normal map, overlayed 2 rock image textures, changed the levels a bit, And maybe added another layer and painted some darker areas and fiddled with the levels there. Then created the specular maps by desaturating and adjusting the levels. I think the rocks are a tad bit too low poly but I'm trying to get them to look as good as the ones in popular games like the elder scrolls for example.

Rock3-1.png
    Rock5.png
    Rock4.png
    Rock1.png
    Rock2-1.png
  • gateian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still lot's of great art here. Love the tank and yeah, would be nice to see it in some less disco styled lighting.

I'm currently working on a Harrier Cockpit for a friends game.

HarrierCockpit03.png
  • searinox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    searinox polycounter lvl 6
    Holy fuck, there are some killer works here guys!

Well, here is a model I am doing for a client, it is a soviet T 72 tank:

tank_render.jpg

This is a render of the high poly version of the model, I am doing/suffering the low poly version right now. I rushed this in roughtly 1 week, the deadline is really really tight, so there are tons of mistakes and errors in the design, sadly, I don´t have time to polish this as much I´d like to.

Anyway, crits & comments more than welcome, hope you like it!
  • Miche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gateian: Looks cool, don't know anything about cockpits though, so I can't feedback :P Keep it up.

searinox: Cool render! I like how it makes the model look like a real sculpt. I'm not a fan of all the small "packages" though.. What even are those? ^^ Overall it looks neat.

I've been trying out some new poses tonight on this girl I call Bella:

bella_marmoset_04.jpg

bella_marmoset_05.jpg
  • searinox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Miche: thanks for the kind comments! The small "packages" are ERA reactive armor, in real life they look like hard-shaped boxes http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/03/T-72_Ajeya.jpg

I made them a bit smoother, hoping that it will look better when baked on a lowres mesh. It may be that I made them a bit too smooth tho...

Gorgeous sculpt by the way! I would add a stronger SSS effect to the skin, if is there any is hardly noticeable, and it looks a bit artificial. I love the sculpting work you´ve done with it!
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Miche

That girl has fantastic feet!
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    @searinox; any chance you can tell us how you rendered that? :)

Btw; looks great!
  • Blind Boy Grunt
    a little progress. added the boots and kneepads. oh and the all important wristbands.

6837704292_b67f298c45_b.jpg
  • searinox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter: I actually can´t take the merit for the render, as much I´d want to haha. I used an existing setup called Fake It, by Andrew Nash. It is really awesome, and worth the price imo, you can take a look here: http://mikeanashtuts.blogspot.com/p/fake-it-materials-pack.html

Thanks for the kind words!
  • jam-i-am
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    havent posted here in a while, heres a creature I did for a quick tutorial series...will probably spend some more time on it.

alien-creature1_o.jpg
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome work everyone.

Work in progress on some textures for an environment I'm starting.

floor_texture_wip_01.png
  • stuART_3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stuART_3dee polycounter lvl 10
    Jaw-dropping work as always guys. Finally getting around to finishing my piece. Got it into Unity but tested it out w/ 3 Point Shader today. I'll play around more and decide.
    afi_wip2.jpg
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Paintover to try and get some ideas:

PaintOverIdeas.png
  • af3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    af3d polycounter lvl 10
    Went ahead and re-lit a piece from a year ago, made such a drastic change I decided I'd re-post it.
    E96YT.jpg
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    a little progress. added the boots and kneepads. oh and the all important wristbands.

6837704292_b67f298c45_b.jpg
    Lookin good, I think the back anatomy seems iffy though
    the lat doesn't seem like its insertion point along the illiac crest is taken into consideration
    http://buybulkwhey.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/latsshtraplat.jpg
    see how some of that large back muscle attaches to the hip?
    usually in people this reads as a diagonal lines running perpendicular to the muscles fibers.
    somewhat visible in : http://www.happehtheory.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/LowerBackMusclesTriangle.png
    however your also going to have to take the erector spinae muscle into consideration, which is usually the more predominant form. and reads as two conical cylinders running along the spine.
    http://dynorock.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/mm_erector_spinae.jpg
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Wow, the quality of work in the WAYWO so far this year has been incredible!
    Everyone, every single person in this thread, go ahead, give yourself a pat on the back! (And then, get back to work!! :poly121:)

Finishing up another animation:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwFD6sesgjI"]Falling On Stairs (w/ Crutches) -- Animation WIP 07 - YouTube[/ame]

(Crosspost from my thread here: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96034 )
  • gateian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz I love the animation. I salute anyone who does good animation, because I have tried and failed. Too much of a battle with the software and not enough patience at my end. lol. :)

Good stuff.
  • gateian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    searinox wrote: »

tank_render.jpg

This is a render of the high poly version of the model, I am doing/suffering the low poly version right now. I rushed this in roughtly 1 week, the deadline is really really tight, so there are tons of mistakes and errors in the design, sadly, I don´t have time to polish this as much I´d like to.

Beautiful tank. I'm sure you can spot your mistakes a mile off, in the same way I can spot all the mistakes of my cockpit (of which there are many!) but as I am not an expert in this tank as well as the other 99% of us, we'll never notice. Great job and looking forward to seeing this textured!
  • kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    mockup of a minimalist risk board like game im tinkering with. its gonna be a valuable coding excercise i hope :D

risko.jpg
  • Joker_47
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joker_47 polycounter lvl 6
    weaponz.jpg
    So here is my second weapon model what i did (based on Brian Sum concept art) , and the first finished hard surface model.
    I know that recently this gun has been created by another user , but like i said this is my first hard surface model which looks not bad. Hope you like it ) And yeahh... some of the details I have not made (
  • botchiball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    botchiball polycounter lvl 8
    af3d wrote: »
    Went ahead and re-lit a piece from a year ago, made such a drastic change I decided I'd re-post it.

Do you have a link to the original for us to compare? This one is looking pretty good, only thing that strikes me is the eyes aren't catching enough light.
  • Rumkugel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rumkugel polycounter lvl 14
    Dug out this piece of crap, fixed proportions..
    will take it to low poly and see what happens..

fratzevik1k.jpg
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Joker_47: Looks like a lot of fun to shoot. Well done.
  • ikonane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ikonane polycounter lvl 7
    searinox wrote: »

tank_render.jpg

I looks fantastic, about how many hours did it take?
  • fusedgore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fusedgore polycounter lvl 13
    Some really awesome stuff on this thread .Man that tank is narly man .Loving it .Whats the polycount 30 mil?That wrestler is coming along nicely ,just needs the patented Hogan Leg Drop .LOL .
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    dd_boss_slime_king_10.jpg

dd_boss_slime_king_11.jpg

dd_boss_slime_king_12.jpg

Did a bit more on this guy last night :) Cant wait to get him in game with his slime cube :D
  • ranek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ranek polycounter lvl 8
    monkeyking2.jpg
    started yesterday. still sketching it out. not looking forward to the retopo. lol
  • gothasaxwindsor
This discussion has been closed.