Home General Discussion

Anyone else worried about SOPA?

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Blaizer wrote: »
    USA forced our goverment to take measures against online piracy with the polemic sinde law, and now... they don't take measures. I feel all this very ironic.

I guess Spanish citizens should of fought against the law like we did.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I don't understand where they get those figure from too. I can assure, no matter what I typed in, MegaUpload is the last place you will find it since MU fakes 'full servers' BS forcing you to wait a couple of a hours before trying again.

Plus, their 'rewards' system is also very poor, making pirates choose 'slower' providers which have bigger reward programs.

I can assure you, from an everyday-laymmans or not experience doesn't include MU.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    nick2730 wrote: »

That really sucks, because its the best way to send someone files fast. :/
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I guess Spanish citizens should of fought against the law like we did.

You guess bad, we did it. But you know... the ones with the power are the ones with the money, the big companies. At least, our forced law, it's not as agressive as SOPA.

The megaupload thing sucks :(
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    dfacto wrote: »
    That really sucks, because its the best way to send someone files fast. :/

Dropbox
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nick2730 wrote: »

how can it be the first victim of a bill that hasn't passed (and is most likely dead)?

It's getting in trouble because it's hosting files. SOPA would shut down Polycount if a link to Megaupload was included in this thread.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Good point notman, will dropbox be liable if someone wants to share as a friend to another friend. Like back in the day when you asked your mate to borrow a CD and made a cassette tape copy?

Apple has more money than the US government apparently.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    SOPA and PIPA may be more or less dead, but there will always be more bills like them so long as the people that want these kinds of things passed hold any sort of power. Point being, if you are a rational human being that believes in Freedom of Speech, Thought, etc, (And live in the US) you owe it to yourself and others like you to make sure the people supporting this bullshit never work to 'represent' you again.
    These are those that still support it. And Lamar Smith (R-TX) is the guy introducing it.
    Harry Reid (D-NV)
    Howard Berman (D-CA)
    Marsha Blackburn (R-TN)
    Mary Bono Mack (R-CA)
    Steve Chabot (R-OH)
    John Conyers (D-MI)
    Ted Deutch (D-FL)
    Elton Gallegly (R-CA)
    Bob Goodlatte (R-VA)
    Timothy Griffin (R-AR)
    Dennis A. Ross (R-FL)
    Adam Schiff (D-CA)
    Lee Terry (R-NE)
    Point is, awareness is great, but if no action is taken, then nothing will be done and we'll have to face this shit again, and inevitably it will be passed (or something similar will) if no change is made.
    List of reps from maddox.xmission.com
    I see that this link has already been posted, but still. It's important.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Dont feel too bad for the megaupload people. Kimble was a hacker, the bad kind. Who flaunted his wealth.

[ame="http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1243368869700997385"]Kimble goes Monaco 2[/ame]
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch wrote: »
    These are those that still support it. And Lamar Smith (R-TX) is the guy introducing it.
    Harry Reid (D-NV)
    Howard Berman (D-CA)
    Marsha Blackburn (R-TN)
    Mary Bono Mack (R-CA)
    Steve Chabot (R-OH)
    John Conyers (D-MI)
    Ted Deutch (D-FL)
    Elton Gallegly (R-CA)
    Bob Goodlatte (R-VA)
    Timothy Griffin (R-AR)
    Dennis A. Ross (R-FL)
    Adam Schiff (D-CA)
    Lee Terry (R-NE)

And I can tell you, being in Mi, John Conyers is a greedy fuck, who probably has his pockets overflowing with 'contributions'. His wife is currently in jail, for taking bribes while on the Detroit city council.

Oh, and in the image PolyGoblin posted, the number of supporters really didn't drop much. Just more jumped on board to say they opposed it the bills.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good point notman, will dropbox be liable if someone wants to share as a friend to another friend. Like back in the day when you asked your mate to borrow a CD and made a cassette tape copy?

Yeah, it's one example of why I don't like these bills. I use dropbox all the time, and I don't use it to share files illegally. But if someone else does, SOPA/PIPA would allow someone to have dropbox shutdown.
  • DeadlyFreeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeadlyFreeze polycounter lvl 17
    It's getting in trouble because it's hosting files. SOPA would shut down Polycount if a link to Megaupload was included in this thread.

If judges get to dictate that the DMCA take down process isn't 'good enough', then every website is a potential target.
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    Well, seems megaupload just got shut down, and they didn't need SOPA or PIPA to do it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16642369
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My rep backed off and he was a co-founder of the bill. I think Texas politicians are going to regret courting all these high tech industries - I doubt they got any calls from cattle farmers.
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worried about SOPA?

I am more worried about a government who thinks they can do whatever they want.

Posting that full article about megaupload. The last couple sentences really bother me to my core.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/20/technology/indictment-charges-megaupload-site-with-piracy.html?_r=1

" The federal authorities on Thursday announced that they had charged seven people connected to the Web site Megaupload, including its founder, with running an international criminal enterprise centered on copyright infringement on the Internet.

According to a grand jury indictment, Megaupload — one of the most popular “locker” services on the Internet, which lets users anonymously transfer large files — generated $175 million in income for its operators through subscription fees and advertising, while causing $500 million in damages to copyright holders.

Four of the seven people, including the site’s founder Kim Dotcom, born Kim Schmitz, have been arrested in New Zealand, the Justice Department and Federal Bureau of Investigation said on Thursday; the three others remain at large. The seven — who a grand jury indictment calls part of a “Mega Conspiracy” — have been charged with five counts of copyright infringement and conspiracy, the authorities said.

The charges, which the government agencies said represented “among the largest criminal copyright cases ever brought by the United States,” come at a charged time, a day after online protests against a pair of antipiracy bills being considered by Congress — the Stop Online Piracy Act, or SOPA, in the House, and the Protect I.P. Act, or PIPA, in the Senate.

The indictment was handed down by a grand jury in Virginia two weeks ago, but was unsealed on Thursday, and stems from a federal investigation that began two years ago.

The Megaupload case touches on many of the most controversial aspects of the antipiracy debate.

Megaupload and similar locker sites, like Rapidshare and Mediafire, are often promoted as being convenient ways to legitimately transfer large files — a recent promotional video had major stars like Will.i.am of the Black Eyed Peas singing Megaupload’s praises. But they have become notorious among media companies, who see them as abetting copyright infringement on a large scale by giving people easy, but unauthorized, access to movies, music and other content.

Megaupload is currently engaged in a lawsuit with Universal over the promotional video and Universal’s efforts to have it removed from YouTube.

As part of the crackdown on Megaupload, 20 search warrants were executed in nine countries, including the United States. About $50 million in assets were also seized, as well as a number of servers and 18 domain names, the authorities said.

Ira P. Rothken, a lawyer for Megaupload, said in a phone interview on Thursday afternoon that he had not yet seen the indictment, but he added: “Clearly we have due process concerns. This was done without a hearing.” "
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Causing $500million in damages to copyright holders? And they know this how? Cause some dude told them so I bet...

This is what I hate about this the most. Guilty until proven innocent. These people now have to prove that they didn't cause $500million in damages, instead of the other way around.
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apparently they know this from their 2 year investigation into MegaUpload... however, they can easily throw around words without providing proof... I know for a fact that MegaUpload had millions of legitimate users, as I have used it for legitimate uses, as I am sure many others here have as well.

Anonymous takes action: This was quick, and likely only the beginning.

DDoS attacks seem like warnings. Hackers have so much more power than that, I am curious to see what their true plans are.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2399116,00.asp

" Anonymous was quick to target the Justice Department, Universal Music, the RIAA, and MPAA in the wake of this afternoon's Megaupload announcement, with the Web sites for all four organizations succumbing to distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks.

Justice.gov and universalmusic.com went offline around 430pm Eastern and have been largely unresponsive for the past 1.5 hours. RIAA.com and MPAA.org are also unresponsive.

"Recording Industry Association of America—Department of Justice—Universal Music—all TT, all TANGO DOWN," Anonymous tweeted this evening with the #OpMegaUpload hashtag.

Earlier today, the DOJ announced the shutdown of file-sharing site Megaupload. Seven individuals and two corporations were indicted for copyright infringement and could face up to 50 years in prison. Megaupload earned approximately $750 million for its exploits and incurred about $1 billion in damages, the agency alleged.

In its statement, the DOJ said the takedown was "among the largest criminal copyright cases ever brought by the United States."

How does Universal Music play into this? Megaupload's CEO is Kasseem Dean, better known as hip hop producer Swizz Beatz and husband of Alicia Keys. As reported by the New York Post, Beatz asked high-profile friends like Sean "Diddy" Combs, Kanye West, and Will.i.am to participate in a video promoting Megaupload, which did not sit too well with the artists' label, Universal Music Group. Last month, Universal had YouTube pull "Mega Song," prompting a lawsuit from Megaupload, according to TorrentFreak.

Anonymous has never been a fan of efforts to take down copyright infringers. The group has targeted Sony over its efforts to sue PlayStation hacker George Hotz and gone after the RIAA and the MPAA on numerous occasions.

In a statement issued this afternoon, the MPAA championed the Megaupload takedown. "This criminal case, more than two years in development, shows that law enforcement can take strong action to protect American intellectual property stolen through sites housed in the United States," said Chris Dodd, MPAA chairman and CEO.

The RIAA, meanwhile, said it was "deeply grateful" for the Megaupload shutdown. "The indictment outlines a sinister scheme to generate massive profits through the distribution of the stolen intellectual property of others," RIAA chairman and CEO Cary Sherman said in a statement.

The Megaupload takedown and the DDoS attacks come one day after many Web sites went dark in protest of anti-piracy legislation, the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and the PROTECT IP Act (PIPA). The bills would allow the DOJ to go after overseas, "rogue" Web sites, but opponents argue that the measures are too broad and could harm legitimate Web sites.

The RIAA's Sherman, a supporter of SOPA and PIPA, said the Megaupload news demonstrates why the bills are necessary. "If [Megaupload] were hosted and operated, for example, in a foreign country, our government would be essentially powerless to do anything about it. That needs to change," Sherman said.

For more, see the Top 5 Objections to SOPA, PIPA and PCMag analysts' take on the bills, as well as the slideshow below, which features screen shots from Web sites that participated in yesterday's blackout. "
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    People used Megaupload for legit file transfers?
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    disclaimer, i dont know much about SOPA or megaupload but
    see how much money (megauploadCEO) he made :

kimble.jpg
    kim-schmitz-mansion.jpg

dayum
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    "A Sheffield student can be extradited to the US to face copyright infringement allegations, a judge has ruled.

Richard O'Dwyer, 23, set up the TVShack website which US authorities say hosts links to pirated copyrighted films and television programmes."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-16544335

Unbelievable that the UK government would even entertain such an idea. Not sure which Corporate state is worse in this case either.
  • Kbrom12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8

I do quite often, moving over to rapidshare now though since its just as good
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Dunno if you guys know this, but Anonymous is waging F'n WAR over this Megaupload thing. I personally never heard of the site, but if you look at the extent of tonight's hacker attacks, they are pissed off!
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    Waging war meaning a couple of days of stopping people being able to access a few websites?
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Waging war meaning a couple of days of stopping people being able to access a few websites that no one goes to?
    FTFY .
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually, you can access riaa.com right now, so they weren't shut down for long
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod

This. Honestly.

Naturally, there is a percentage of people that use Megaupload for legit file transfers. Albeit a small percentage. Let's be honest here, MegaUpload and Rapidshare are two of the most archaic, simpleton, and out in the open ways to pirate any form of digital media. We all know it. Sites like this should be shut down for hosting illegal media, especially sites that show no interest in policing their own servers. I say good riddance.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Not sure if Anonymous is in the right here. Not sure if they ever have been before...
    Their attack was inconveniencing to say the least, but what victory did they have here?
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus wrote: »
    This. Honestly.

Naturally, there is a percentage of people that use Megaupload for legit file transfers. Albeit a small percentage. Let's be honest here, MegaUpload and Rapidshare are two of the most archaic, simpleton, and out in the open ways to pirate any form of digital media. We all know it. Sites like this should be shut down for hosting illegal media, especially sites that show no interest in policing their own servers. I say good riddance.

MegaUpload was in compliance with the DMCA actually, removing all files that were reportedly infringed.

It isn't their fault that people upload faster than they can search and delete.

How much of the content on YouTube is actually original content? YouTube was born from the very concept of sharing content.

The biggest issue? SOPA/PIPA have not passed, and the government has shown that they do not need SOPA or PIPA to combat piracy. This sets a dangerous precedence. We will see the government doing more and more of what they want, when they want.

They want SOPA/PIPA/ACTA for the sole purpose of censorship.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maybe it is because youtube doesnt sell premium account in order to view certain video faster or be able to download faster. .. thats the thing. :-3. if megaupload is free sharing that is free that would be much different story.
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    However, you did not have to pay to get access to the content in the first place.

They essentially sold bandwidth, not the content; and that is an important distinction to make in legal matters concerning the internet.

There are dozens of file sharing sites nearly as popular as MegaUpload, yet they are still up.

The real issue is the celebrities who made a video to promote MegaUpload.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unless the prosecution releases some new evidence, Megaupload is legal despite it's prolific usage to share copyrighted material. It complied with DMCA takedown orders, ergo there is no legal reason to shut it down, let alone arrest it's founders like they're some sort of international spy ring. If you want to close down a site like that, then you need your laws to reflect it's illegality. This is a hit-job, and it shames me to see the Justice Department play patsy to big business. Again.
    Makkon wrote: »
    Not sure if Anonymous is in the right here. Not sure if they ever have been before...
    Their attack was inconveniencing to say the least, but what victory did they have here?

They're right, but they're going to get taken down hard and consequences will never be the same. Hell, messing with government websites could get you sent to guantanamo. :P
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDoS'ing government websites is nothing new, and since the attackers are in the millions, it is impossible to take any action against.

This wasn't a small attack done by a small group of individuals... this was millions of people hammering away at these sites because doing a DDoS is easy. It requires no programming knowledge.
  • DeadlyFreeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto wrote: »
    Unless the prosecution releases some new evidence, Megaupload is legal despite it's prolific usage to share copyrighted material.

"Safe harbor" in the DMCA only applies if you don't have knowledge of the infringing content that your hosting.

Considering that they have internal emails of them bragging about copyrighted content and apparently uploading some copyrighted stuff themselves they are more or less fucked.
  • Ferg
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everybody pirates: RIAA, Homeland Security caught downloading torrents

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/everybody-pirates-riaa-homeland-security-caught-downloading-torrents/65670

Link to those emails?
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow good read ferg

but would be suck that if mediafire and dropbox closed : ((, hopefully megaupload thing is different case from SOPA thing
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It isn't, and MediaFire (as well as sites like it) WILL be next.

That's a terrible article to be honest.

And CEO Kim Dotcom sent this curious e-mail to PayPal in late 2011:

Our legal team in the US is currently preparing to sue some of our competitors and expose their criminal activity. We like to give you a heads up and advice [sic] you not to work with sites that are known to pay up loaders for pirated content. They are damaging the image and the existence of the file hosting industry (see what's happening with the Protect IP Act). Look at Fileserve.com, Videobb.com, Filesonic.com, Wupload.com, Uploadstation.com. These sites pay everyone (no matter if the files are pirated or not) and have NO repeat infringer policy. And they are using PayPal to pay infringers.

But the government asserts that Megaupload merely wanted the veneer of legitimacy

Since when are government assertions above habeus corpus?

Additionally, the emails were from random employees and not the main people who were arrested.

Don't fall for it; this was an unjust takedown.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    RexM: I don't think the article is legitimizing anything or taking sides... just reporting what's happening
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're right, it is the actions of the department of justice that are in question here.

As we stood by and watched, our rights were stolen from our hands without much resistance.
  • DeadlyFreeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your really off on your own tanget....

They are probably already out on bail and preparing for their trial.
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am not off on a tangent; what I have said is very on-topic.

Anyways, according to the MPAA, protests are an abuse of power. Hilarious...

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2012/01/sopa-livesand-mpaa-calls-protests-an-abuse-of-power.ars
  • UnrealAnimation3D
    3 words: its not happening.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Of course not. Can you imagine no more free porn?

I might legitimately kill someone.
  • MadnessImport
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ Most people i know and informed about this didn't give a care for the bill until i told them that there Free porn was going down

Stock up all you can before the drought people!
    Or find that weird guy thats always near your local barber shop selling it in cheep bulks if the worst happens hell be there.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    RexM wrote: »
    DDoS'ing government websites is nothing new, and since the attackers are in the millions, it is impossible to take any action against.

This wasn't a small attack done by a small group of individuals... this was millions of people hammering away at these sites because doing a DDoS is easy. It requires no programming knowledge.

Doesn't DDoS attacks originate from zombie networks with just a small group of individuals kicking them into action?
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, it can work like that; but more often than not, DDoS'ing is being done by thousands of individuals in addition to those methods.

Flooding the servers with traffic, crashing them temporarily.

Personal information for all the SOPA supporters has also been released, and Anonymous has announced that they are going to take down Sony's network again for supporting SOPA. Seeing as Anonymous had some Sony services out of action for a month, it is extremely likely.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    there you go, it started again, I'm scared off both sides. ....
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    RexM wrote: »
    Personal information for all the SOPA supporters has also been released, and Anonymous has announced that they are going to take down Sony's network again for supporting SOPA. Seeing as Anonymous had some Sony services out of action for a month, it is extremely likely.

As much as it will probably have some effect, it is pretty scary at the same time, Most people are in the middle between the really hardcore people on one side, and the dangerous corporations on the other side.

Not seeing too much joy in this being solved by the eventual death threats to persons and families which it often boils down to.

There's a ton of people out there who support IP-laws, copyrights, and general equilibrium on the internet but are still against SOPA.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    eld wrote: »
    There's a ton of people out there who support IP-laws, copyrights, and general equilibrium on the internet but are still against SOPA.

This..

the content of the servers will tell the truth..
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Blaizer wrote: »
    Lol yes, i infringed the © of a guy called Alberto XDD.

No you idiot. You used a design owned by Capcom. You used logos owned by Staedtler and Milan. You modeled a concept by Splash Damage.