Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Civil War] Spark vs. Gav vs. Hazardous vs. Slipgate

Replies

• slipgatecentral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipgatecentral polycounter lvl 13
    Not much of a progress from me
    this is taking much longer than usual, I have to close holes in every chunk and make them watertight in order to be printed properly, while keeping relatively low initial polycount(avoding unnecessary extra edgeloops)
    So this will be a hires base for following Zbrush detalisation, stuff like seams, rivets and holes which I cannot fake with floating inverted dishes, and will have to sculpt them.
    Skipping the bow for a while, will get back to it once I'm done with the body

1ueNh.jpg

Q: What's the most abused Maya hotkey?
    A: Ctrl+S
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Not much of a progress from me
    this is taking much longer than usual, I have to close holes in every chunk and make them watertight in order to be printed properly, while keeping relatively low initial polycount(avoding unnecessary extra edgeloops)
    So this will be a hires base for following Zbrush detalisation, stuff like seams, rivets and holes which I cannot fake with floating inverted dishes, and will have to sculpt them.
    Skipping the bow for a while, will get back to it once I'm done with the body

Q: What's the most abused Maya hotkey?
    A: Ctrl+S

Looking hawt! Will their be more hard surface detailing in zbrush or just the holes?

Btw, i have to say that Ctrl + Z get it's fair share of punches to! :P
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    in maya? i would say g
  • Zelenkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelenkov polycounter lvl 9
    Very nice. So, no Maya only approach...finally giving in? ;) Personally I think it could be done in Maya, but Zbrush definitely speeds things up. Looking forward to it.
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    slipgatecentral - Youre planning on printing this?

Also, G.
  • MFTituS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MFTituS polycounter lvl 6
    wow, great stuff! like that all 4 chararacters go into different directions.
  • slipgatecentral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cmon guys, show your stuff!

my latest update, almost done with body, made some changes to design, she looks more heavy now.
    BB5rU.jpg

Zelenkov wrote: »
    Very nice. So, no Maya only approach...finally giving in? ;) Personally I think it could be done in Maya, but Zbrush definitely speeds things up. Looking forward to it.

making it entirely in maya would produce hundreds of objects, which I want to avoid here

ENODMI wrote: »
    slipgatecentral - Youre planning on printing this?

Also, G.

yup, really want to try and make a 3d print of it
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Nice progress Slipgate, I like that asymmetrical torso/neck armor piece you added. The gun feels a bit strange, it's sized like a submachine gun, but the design looks more like an assault rifle, would be curious to see her holding it.
    Is that some kind of powerfist she has? Or something to make holding the high-tech bow easier?

Isn't printing out something with so many small bits like this pretty hard? And if not, where do I sign up for my own copy? :D
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    Looks like an Mp7

hk_mp7_b.jpg

Which is an SMG / PDW.
  • slipgatecentral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal wrote: »
    Nice progress Slipgate, I like that asymmetrical torso/neck armor piece you added. The gun feels a bit strange, it's sized like a submachine gun, but the design looks more like an assaoult rifle, would be curious to see her holding it.
    Is that some kind of powerfist she has? Or a something to make holding the high-tech bow easier?

Isn't printing out something with so many small bits like this pretty hard? And if not, where do I sign up for my own copy? :D

Zbrush gets really slow and model is hard to handle when it consists of tons of small details, not long ago I tried converting my DW4 entry to printable shape but gave up at 30%.

yeah it's a rough recreation of MP7 SMG

this shit on her arm is a bow mount, hard to explain how it works, I'll show once I'm done with it
  • 4th-child
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4th-child polycounter lvl 7
    Wicked progress mate!!!
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    I always admired functional designs. I really like what Slipgate presented. Bow mechanism, movable helmet/shoulders/knees... mountings for bow/knife/gun/grenades... even right glove modified to protect fingers while shooting arrows :) Nice!!
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    By the way, Slipgate, are you still using crease on your subdiv stuff for hard edges, or just throwing lots of loops around?
  • WillMac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I too love how this is all going. Just watching and taking it all in.

@slipgatecentral, i really like this tech bow design, is a fresh slant.
    And Gav's sculpt is a classic :) Makes me smile. He is very shadowrun i think.
    And hazardous has me thinking pointy ears... is hot. Nice figure. :thumbup:

Spark, "this is 3d get with the program maaaaaan" ... I loved the 2d concept, loved it! You could win this...
  • soda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipgate, don`t know why, but I think the loins are pull out to front. I think composition of armor make this feel.
  • Abe_hokage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really cool progress guys!
    slipgatecentral: a 3d print out of this? gonna kick ass!cant wait :)
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Very nice work! I'm gonna assume there will be some zebrush detailing for the currently sparse groin/upper leg area?

Also did her wrist weapon take any inspiration from the Dual Hound from FF Advent Children? It's what it reminded me of:
    YekqO.jpg
    q20SD.jpg
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Looking sexy as hell, slipper.

Guys - obviously, I'm not going to be able to finish on time but still fully intend to complete the character. Between starting this little "bro-off" and now there's been a bunch of shit come up that was unexpected (teaching in Canada, sick, needing to find a new apartment - which is way more difficult than expected in Boston and spending a week at GDC.) I don't think anyone really expected the date thing to hold any weight - Just wanted to give a heads up!
  • slipgatecentral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian wrote: »
    Very nice work! I'm gonna assume there will be some zebrush detailing for the currently sparse groin/upper leg area?

Also did her wrist weapon take any inspiration from the Dual Hound from FF Advent Children? It's what it reminded me of:
    YekqO.jpg
    q20SD.jpg

Though I've watched FF:AC long ago I can hardly remember what was in there
    This thing, basically a bracer with sockets in which the part of the bow being inserted to make it whole with arm. Something hard to describe unless you see it in action.

Gav, it's okay dude, just make it done eventually! I got the same stuff - GDC, recent leg injury, also took a short break to make an WoW torso, etc. Will get back to my character next week after GDC.
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    Wow, this thread is so great.

Slip, it seems like your character has so much going on that you loose yourself from the overall silhouette. I'd like to see something in the head echo the bow you've been working on.
  • erik!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sweet, sweet hard-surface sex, Slipgate. Always an inspiration dude.
  • Pangahas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pangahas polycounter lvl 10
    Whatever happened to this awesome thread?
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    A little birdie told me that Spark finished his high poly!!!
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Hahah, yay I win!!! :P jk! Yes, here is an update of where I am at, a few tweaks that I want to add such as a dog house tied to the robot, which is then tied to a dog:) Tweak some issues with the hipoly and set him up for animation so maybe I can have a little movie of this guy. Hope you guy's like the update, and possibly more to come if I don't fall off again!

Spark

finalien.jpg
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    How dare you post such a tiny image of such an awesome character after such a long time of no posting?!

Looks great! I'd like to see higher res image and also one from the back.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is that a piece of paper nailed to his shoulder or a piece of wood?
  • Zelenkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelenkov polycounter lvl 9
    Looks very nice :) I'm glad you're back to finish this guy!
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    so much awesome work. Spark that looks badass.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Really awesome work man!

^_^ Volumes read really well. And you left a lot of open areas for great texturing options.

^_^
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome stuff man! I am really excited to see you get some personal work out. Really motivating! You plan on taking this guy to textures?
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    love the complexity spark!
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Mother.....fucker.

Is it....is it 'on' ?
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    Gav wrote: »
    Mother.....fucker.

Is it....is it 'on' ?

Strictly speaking, it is indeed on, as to what degree, much like Donkey Kong.

Freakin' awesome Spark! Love them shapes!
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    what an awesome thread. Models look amazing. ima keep a watch on this
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    damn. Spark. that is sweet !!
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Fj16k.png

What's this from?
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Inspector gadget
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Damn!!!! Look what you've gone and done man, can't compete with this epicness!!!
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    lol remember how you said you were going to take a break after your course?

Too Bad.

Epic Revival Spark!!!! :D
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Alright. *brushes dust off of old ZTL and wonders what the hell he was thinking*

Spent some time today getting back together with this model, stared touching up some areas, worked on the bird, some general tweaks. In mymind, pretty near finished with the high - just wanted to get back to him so that I knew what was what when it came time to do the low....which will hopefully be soon.

beefheart_13.jpg

Thanks everyone and thanks Brett for lighting the fire again :)

Gav
  • dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
    SWEET LORD IM SO GLAD YOU GUYS CAME BACK TO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Does that bird have a giant testicle out front man? .......I concede immediate defeat.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Shhhiiii - I guess you just see what you want to see Troy (Also, don't look for an easy way out...you're up next >:] )
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    They're all great XD Great style you got going there Gav :O
  • Hang10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh man psyched to see this continue, too much awesomeness
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    Too much awesome ... can't handle ... :poly128:

Great highpoly gav! This thread is intense!
  • uncle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shit just got real. Like, again.
  • DJ_Aaron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DJ_Aaron polycounter lvl 10
    Wow amazing, shit hot work cooking here XD
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Thanks everyone.

So, this took a lot longer than I had expected. Usually I can turn a low poly version of a character around in half a day or so. This guy took around 2 - 3 days.

There's a few reasons for this, I really wanted to create some kind of tutorial about it, like some kind of post mortem - but really - I'm not sure how much there is to learn from my many...many...mistakes. This is the first model that I have shelved for a year plus and returned to with the intent of finishing it. In this process, I'm realizing how many things I did wrong in the past, have learned from since (through other projects) and am now being burned by at the present day. I decided to just work around them rather than totally remaking the areas as they aren't complete show stoppers and are probably quicker to just deal with (and this has already taken way too long.) A few things to point out though:

-Somewhere along the way, the entire character became scaled up and uncentered in Max. Like off of 000 by a few hundred units. I "think" this happened in an older version of GoZ and I just never corrected the file, but it's been so long I can't exactly know for sure. This lead to a mild issue when retopologizing the character as I had to work from an odd center point rather than world center like I usually do.

-I must have loved Subtools back then as I have 85 in my scene and it became a problem to organize and manage. I merged somethings down, rebuilt some areas, but it was still a shock when I opened the sculpt.

-I mirrored practically nothing and I have no idea why. I probably could have got by just fine with mirrored legs and stomach/vest. I think back then I was embracing "OMGASYMMETRY" more than efficiency.

But annnnyways....

beefheart_14.jpg

Here is where the current low poly stands - I'm bouncing back to the sculpt to polish some areas, but I think it's nearly good to go. Just need to unwrap, bake em down, and get rolling on the texture work. I wanted to leave a little wiggle room (from our 20k budget) for smaller things that I may add, room for FX (like feathers blowing off of the bird), fixing topo...etc.

Cheers,
    Gav
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Sweeet a bi-millenium update :)