Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Civil War] Spark vs. Gav vs. Hazardous vs. Slipgate

Replies

• Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Awesome robot spark. Driver looks like a great character also. The tree is a bit slapped on, i think a nicely trimmed "Mr Miyagi" bonsai would suit the driver more. Great sketch though.

Slipgate. Awesome progress and thanks for some much needed inspiration. I just discovered your vimeo tutorials. Why are these not more advertised? just mindblowing....
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    omgwtf too much awesome in 10 minutes....

Spark: man I love that!! Totally dig the little sign hanging from the codpiece haha!!

Slip: Damn man your mesh's are always so perfect...

Gav: Haha wideload!! I like that his codpiece also got wider.. epic balls ftw!
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    spark spark spark You make me want to do art again. ^_^

lol Gav, Keep your filthy hands off me !!!! *_*
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    3 awesome posts in a row! Very cool!

@ spark - dude! Loving all the small tiny details on the top area!
    @gav - looking nice! Question for ya, how exactly do you indentify noise in a character? The amount of props cluttered in one place?
    @Slipgate - loving the style of your piece. Very nox like! :)
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hell yeah Spark, I love the attention to detail. Not just in one place, here and there, but all around. Really well done.
    I'm curious to what Zbrush madness you will bring. Show these girls what art is!
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Another quick update - just got everything broken up and into ZBrush, awaiting sweet sculpt loving.

beefheart_11.jpg

raul: Pretty much - I was just thinking that I had too much going on in a condensed space, not really leading the eye to any particular area. I also felt that the older version was coming off a bit short / not as big feeling as I had intended. So, by broadening him out by quite a bit, it opened up enough space to fix both of those problems.

b1||: Play hard to get all you want...I'll still wait for you.

Cheers,
    Gav
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    damn spark. nice concept.

you guys are all rockin artists, I can't wait to see this stuff finished.
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    Gav that's quite the codpiece.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zestia_nox_wip9_by_hyperdivine-d38zna7.jpg

You guys are all rockin hard, I noodled around with my girls head a bit. Also got my gun finally picked and roughly blocked.
  • slipgatecentral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipgatecentral polycounter lvl 13
    ...gaaaaah!
    really need my ol' good energy drinks..
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    This thread scares me, how can so much talent be contained in one spot without everything breaking down!?
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Purplepaint polycounter lvl 8
    Skamberin wrote: »
    This thread scares me, how can so much talent be contained in one spot without everything breaking down!?

divide-by-zero.jpg
  • Zelenkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelenkov polycounter lvl 9
    wow. all 4 contestants are in the game and totally rockin! cannot wait to see more! Nice concept Spark!
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanF polycounter lvl 13
    spark - looking sick man! but whats up with the fish? does the robot some how eat fish and is drawn to it to make it walk foward? It does have the same vibe as the robot from district 9 in the torso and face areas I think. Other than the fish throwing me off though, I like it! Really looking forward to the 3d model!! :D

gav, slip and hazard - keep it up! looking sick! This is now a true civil war between 4 God given gifted people!
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
  • Jeremi Eldridge
    @Spark AWESOME. I didn't really know what to expect from you in this competition, and this concept is beyond cool. There's a history and a story to tell there and I think that's amazing.

@Gav You're getting so far along, it's looking great! I'm really lovin your character but I feel possibly some more love could be given to his pet? There's so much cool stuff going on with the character that I'd love to see a bit of tech or something like a robot wing or something to unify the two characters (Two crippled characters fighting together a la How To Train Your Dragon maybe?)

@Slipgate I know I'm repeating other people but that is one nice and clean mesh, and I'm really looking forward to the hardware on this chica

@Hazard Zoom Zoom Zoom! Looking forward to all the details and such you put into this character. It's a very interesting design and I'm enjoying seeing the places you could take it.
  • papagersi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    papagersi polycounter lvl 16
    This tread is awesome!! Is that kind of competetion !?
    looks cool you guys !! cheer up! I will be looking on it !
    rocking~!!!!!!!!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Gav, you sure know how to turn me on, ;)
  • slipgatecentral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    badass concept Spark, after seeing this I wish I wass less lazy and come up with something more original. But duh, late to turn back now, already wasted lot of time.

Gav, your dude will look incredible if sculpted properly, I dig the basemesh, already looking cool

Haz, show us the gun!!!

my update, almost done with blockout, need a basemesh for haircut - I will have 2 versions of head, with and without helmet. Also gotta think of working rig for the bow (the sword-looking thing on her back)
    the large bag on her butt should be the arrow dispenser.
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    I love the way you work Slipgate, I cant wait to see the result :)
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Wow we did just all post pieces within 10 minutes of each other:)
    Slipgate: Awesome progress and looking forward to this piece ( clean and tight per usual )
    Gav: Digging this guy, though like I said I think the crotch/belt is a bit busy.
    Stinger88: Thanks!, yeah the tree is from my old sketch ( got lazy:) ) but was thinking bonsai as well:)
    Hazardous: :) Hahah glad you noticed the sign..was trying to get some humor in there ( loving your chick! )
    B1ll: Hahah thanks for that enourmous compliment!, and would love to see some more art from you...miss it!
    Raul: Thanks buddy!
    Rens: Hopefully I can get it all done...always chuck more shit into my concepts than I should:P
    Gav: Suwheeet!
    Moof: Thanks moof, I apprecaite that:)
    Hazardous: Love the update, and the collar is cool for sure, would be curiuos to see how that would look around the top of the boots?, as she looks like she would have a pair that fits a top:)
    Zelenkov: Thanks!
    JonathanF: The fish is just a fun addition, to help tell the story that he is on a walking boat/house and honestly was having fish the other night and wanted to model one:P I don't know, none of my concepts make much sense:)
    Azuryon: Thanks I think:), not sure what I expected from myself in this comp as well:)
    Slipgate: Thanks for that compliment coming from you man, and loving your concept and sculpt:)
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spark - like, the fish is really cool. and I was thinking a lantern would be really neat to hang as that could create some really cool lighting on the robot and your character... but maybe a little to cliche. so MAYBE! its a glowing fish that you can see through kinda? that way you get to incorporate a skeleton of some kind in the fish. Like this FISH or this FISH and a glowing fish like THIS. This way maybe it gives more reason to having a fish hanging there? just a thought though. :)
  • Zelenkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark! The concept so far is the most interesting one. It would be nice to see it blocked out and see how it looks in 3d. Don't listen to Jonathan :) jk
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Spark - Wowzers, Luvin that Concept!
    Moss, vines, and/or dirt covering the robot (maybe it was buried underground for awhile?) would help the tree to fit in a bit more

The tree looks a lil' out of place atm tho :|
    jst my 6 cents..
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Spark: Epic post outta nowhere! That looks really fun! The tree seems a bit weird, but I could see it if there were enough dirt (like in a sack or backpack) for the roots.
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelenkov wrote: »
    Spark! The concept so far is the most interesting one. It would be nice to see it blocked out and see how it looks in 3d. Don't listen to Jonathan :) jk

yup, it is the most interesting one for sure. looks like he is going out of his comfort zone and really doing something different. :D
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverendering polycounter lvl 12
    Incredible concept Spark! Lovin it :)
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    @Spark - Incredible concept you've done
    @Slip - big fan of your hard surface modeling especially on that older sci-fi piece with the lance..and animation of the mechanical parts just amazing.

Overall I see everyone's stepping up, this thread gets me excited about character design and I really do props/environment art. Keep it up guys.
  • slipgatecentral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnx
    gotta go sleep
    was fuking around with bow, here, not finished yet thus might look stupid
    this thing both blockout and rig for hi-res and lowpoly
    6KiSE.gif
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    You know that this is beyond awesome, right?
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipgate - amazing! kinda reminds me of the bow in blade 3 I think it was?...
  • Ryper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This thread is so full of win its unreal, Keep up the amazing work guys and spark I especially love your concept, has so much character to it.
  • Zelenkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipgate, this is dynamic prototyping at its best! But, I have trouble seeing how this would be held by a user when it actually transforms. When compacted it looks like a sword with two handles. While it would be easy to pull out, it would be awkward holding it while it transforms. Or maybe i'm missing something and not seeing the whole design correct. Either way, loving the dynamic concepting!
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think slipgate is raising the bar with animation and all the other contestants should do the same. :D
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    Looks like the two bars in the front, that remain separated, could each be held and then pulled apart to deploy/transform it, otherwise i see no manner to hold it comfortably whilst transforming.
  • STRIKER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    STRIKER polycounter lvl 13
    looking awesome guys!

as for the bow, i could see her throwing it in the air as it transforms super dramatic like!
  • Jeremi Eldridge
    @Slipgate Your design is beyond awesome, but I agree with a few of the comments here. Typically in Iron Man or any type of tech cg used, when it's expanding/transforming/shifting form it's meant for convenience and efficiency (not for show like in Transformers). To have a bow be combat ready as fast as possible I wouldn't imagine having to shift grip on it like you do here.

Even just starting with the two bars separated (so you can hold it like a bow) might help with the design. The transformation is cool, but illogical at the moment in terms of being battle ready. At the moment the transformation is more for "being cool and animated" instead of being realistically implemented into the character design.

But then again you're far from done so I'm just going to wait and see what you do with it. :) As always solid work and awesome ideas, and I can't wait to see more.
  • alaindehertog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I joined this community because of this thread after lurking around for some months now. Damn this contest is epic!
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You guys are makin me look bad, hot damn. I've realised I need to adjust my n00b pipeline!!

zestia_nox_wip_10_by_hyperdivine-d39icyr.jpg

zestia_silhouette_by_hyperdivine-d39hcou.gif

Noodled about a bit more, I plan to give everything the once over, like the boots once I get her backpack and gun in there. Also going to do a nice arm tatoo along one arm!

Also I thought it would be hotter to wear the mini so low on her hips, buts its creating the illusion that her torso is really long, so will fix that in the next update.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Slip: Awesome stuff man, gimme more!
    Haz: You're a magnificent bastard
    Spark: ...

ceebee: Thanks for noticing ;)
    Vyas: Feel like animating one of my guys again? haha
    Azuryon: Cheers. I totally agree. Much like Beefheart himself, Crackers will probably get a face lift once i start working on him. I'm not entirely keen on making him augmented - but maybe some kind of attachment or giving him a more haggard personality could help (smoking bird with over emphasized aviator gear, maybe?)

Alright - got to putter with the sculpt some (though I am nowhere near Hazardous level yet) in between other projects and kicking real estate agents in the throat.

beefheart_12.jpg

Everything is wip, so it can all change. I've got some ideas for things I want to do - but need to call it a night. Will hopefully have another update shortly. Thanks!

Gav
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    All the folds are just roughed in right now, but i usually use just standard with Lazymouse. For hard surfaces, i do the bulk in Max but then do surface details with standard, flatten (with a square hard alpha) and clay with a spray brush set to low strength for pores and the like.
  • Ihazard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow gav, that thing looked sweet just as a basemesh but you made it easily a million times more awesome with just a 'wip' update :)
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Everything is looking sooooo great guys. Keep it going!

- BoBo
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav: looking awesome! the folds are comin out great love how heavy and thick the fabrics feel. o on the crit side, i can see you havnt gotten to the goggles yet, but at the moment it looks like they are angled in such a way that he wouldnt realy be able to see through em. might be worth a look.
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJPesST-skg&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

edit: for those who are wondering.. this knock out is for SPARK. yall coming in all rocking out with these awesome pieces.... then SPARK comes into the ring... POW!! knocks yall down. :)
  • Zelenkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav, Hazardous - very nice progress :) I am eagerly awaiting the texturing part. 2 down, 2 to go!
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    Damn, Gav, That's a huge leap from your last post! Your sculpting really brought it to life, looks great.

Hazardous, not sure I like how the skirt is breaking up the overall form, seems like it should be sleeker and more gothic, but I might change my mind two seconds from now... actually it looks fine. Anyways, excellent looking technically, super hot:)

Slipgate - Cool shapes! Cant wait to see how it translates into hp.

Keep it up guys, this is fun to watch:)
  • soda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous look pretty cool, but I dont like folds on dress. You simply copy uper part and You scale it. Bottom part look identical like uper part.
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    Dang... I just found this thread. Stuff is looking good guys! Really digging the idea of some awesome heavy weights going at it! Got my eye on this thread.
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Gav - Haha ya that could be fun, again. I'm sure we could think up some 'over the top' unnecessarily bloody scenario to animate one of your guys in