Home Stickies

What Are You Working On? 2011 Edition!

Replies

• leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    DrDean wrote: »
    This is my second attempt at baking a bump map from a high poly mesh. I think it turned out pretty alright, although I'm going to redo the bump map of the metal slide at some point. Inspired by me finding my Tandy 1000 the other day.
    floppy.jpg

ORGASM
    now do the 5.25" versions, the disk jackets (the SIERRA/Dynamix/GameARTS variations), the feelies, the piles of InterAction and make a hardcore Sierra gamer environment with a MT32 module as well :P
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    lemme ax you somethin'
    ax001.png
  • BrianP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrianP polycounter lvl 7
    Here is a sword based on concept by First Keeper!

Epic_Sword_Renders_SM.png
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrianP - Damn dude, nice work. I thought it was the concept until I scrolled down. What's that rendered in?
  • BrianP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrianP polycounter lvl 7
    haha thanks! it was rendered in marmoset. the newest version...i think 1.4?
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    sweet sword BrianP!

some color test for my comicon piece-ropes and alpha are painted over
    beastwip3.jpg
  • gd6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gd6 polycounter lvl 9
    BrianP cool modeling and texture
  • afisher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    afisher polycounter lvl 6
    Awesome work BrianP!
    Looking good Dan.

Here's a work in progress update for my Comicon entry.

update02.jpg

I also created a mini workflow breakdown for the cape after I had a few questions about it from some ppl and after seeing the non-contributing members thread in GD I thought I'd post this here as well. Hope someone finds it helpful :)

clothex.jpg
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    "On the stone was etched a galactic map and a single word more ancient then the clans themselves: Higaara, Our home."

Working on this again.

Capture-147.pngCapture1-16.png
  • StefanH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StefanH polycounter lvl 12
    @neox

very nice work although the face still doesnt really click with me. I think you can go 2 ways with the face either soften up all the features and make babyface which most people always dig :) but this doesnt seem what you are after. 2nd one is to pronounce and define some features even a bit more.. define the jawline and the cheekbones some more. Especially pronounced cheek bones are usually considered sexy.
    Also the face seems a bit wide for me.

http://0.tqn.com/d/hairremoval/1/5/c/-/-/-/eyebrow-round.jpg

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=247582
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia polycount sponsor
    Free_Fall wrote: »
    Front but of the MP412 is done so did a test bake, since the barrel didn't need a lot of poly's at all, I though I'd add a few to the cilinder for some extra detail :) Hope I didn't over do it..

Don't worry Chris, it looks snazzy :3

(polygons are cheap anyways)
  • IxenonI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IxenonI interpolator
    afisher wrote: »
    Awesome work BrianP!
    Looking good Dan.

Here's a work in progress update for my Comicon entry.

update02.jpg

I also created a mini workflow breakdown for the cape after I had a few questions about it from some ppl and after seeing the non-contributing members thread in GD I thought I'd post this here as well. Hope someone finds it helpful :)

clothex.jpg

This looks great. Thanks for the breakdown.
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neox: head1oxy.gif not sure on the front perspective but the profile would benefit from a different nose shape i think.
    Neox wrote:
    overall, OF COURSE the manly clothing adds to the "issue" which i really don't think is one, but female clothing from that time would most likely be dresses and thats not what we are after. we tried to support the female shape with a few cut and contrast tricks like the waistconformed belly armor, adn widened her hips with the hipplates maybe i should emphasize this more. But still i don't want the armor to go into every bodyshape to support the female shape more than it could, its still lying on top of several layers of cloth, and the cloth will not be skintight.
    Yes she has shoulder panels and she will even get armorplates on he upper arms, which will definitely change the proportions even more into a manly direction. Our starting point for this project was to create a cool, yet believable female medieval northern character, maybe a fictional fantasy game which doesn't run with all the cliches our industry is using to death, beeing almost nude, using chainmailslips and metalbras and other (in my oppinion, it doesn't have to be yours :) ) crappy 80ies symbolics, having huge boobs and superlong legs, a tiny waist and no shoulders.

as much as i agree with you, I think stereotypes are there because they help us perceive ideas quicker. I still think the shoulders stand out too much though, which is the breaking point in the sillouette for me. and the hair appeared to be pretty big, but that's preference and hairstyle i suppose.

body7q3a.gif
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Neox: Good work man! Generally, I like the face and the character as a whole. Anatomy is good, period. Although I find the slant on her eyes maybe a bit too much; and the hair's gonna need some more work to really sell it imho.
    I do like e-freak's suggestion on the shoulders. But I would use the feather cape to your advantage with that. Have a couple of feathers stick out from the sides to break it all up a bit.
    Positively gorgeous none the less!

{scumworks}: Cool! Altough that thing that holds the straps on his back looks like it needs some more work, but I guess you're getting at that.

Justin_Meisse: Cool looking axe, really great work on the wood texture. The blade obviously needs some more work, but I'm guessing it's on your todo.

BrianP: Sweet! Great job on the texture, but did you test this in-engine yet? The long thing triangles near the handle could give you some lighting issues.

afisher: nice cloth work! Although I find the folds themselves looking a bit blobby if you know what I mean. You ought to soften it up a bit. Also, if you're looking for some good cloth brushes, check out Selwy's cloth brushes. Really good stuff!
    http://www.selwy.com/2009/zbrush-clothes-tutorial/
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    I have to say, i pretty much disagree :)
    besides the hair, which is already on my list for beeing waaay to bulky right now.
    i totally disagree on the nose changes and also on the shoulders, when i'm done they will be even bulkier as there will be a lot of lose feathers on top.
    i definitely agree on the face beeing a bit wide, i'll have to play around more, i also agree on pronouncing the hips more by widening them and narrowing the waist a bit, i'll definitely have to use different colours when i'm going to texture to pronounce the waist shaped armor more to give it the right female touch. i'll also move the belts of her front pocket more upwards and make them darker to losen the focus on them a bit, right now it feels like the legs are pretty short and i think its basicly because of the low sitting pocket part thats fighting for attention.

here is pretty much the stuff i'm going to tackle next:

frenja_nextstep.gif

@afisher: way to awesome clothwork, really love the wrinkles, the mask isn't my taste but thats just me, the cape is really impressive i always am to lazy to go that much into detail, so i assume he is going to stand and no other poses are doable, with the cape on the ground? it looks really cool but feels somewhat rigid, but nevermind go on, i wanna see him finished!

@dan: really nice shapes on your beast, fits right into a fighting game, really like the flow, though i think the outwards going bump on the lower frontal part of his pants breaks the flow a bit
  • Sephez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UDK_scene11.jpg

Hey guys, here's an environment I'm working on right now, it's taken me about two weeks to get to this point. I plan on doing the brickwalls, the building facades and start on a larger park square the next couple of days. Screenshot taken straight from the UDK

Does anyone have any good tips for setting up some looping leaf/grass movement in what I figured should be the WorldPositionOffset channel of the material editor ?
    Right now I'm basing my leaves on a shader from the FoliageDemo by Epic

Arkadius: Lovin' the style of that guy :D

Neox: That's a very cool character, you're definitely taking her in the right direction as far as awesome goes !
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox: That paintover is kick ass :) If that's the direction defo go for it!
  • benji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    benji polycounter lvl 7
    SaferDan, thanks for that dude, I'll make sure to sort it out.

I just checked out your thread over on eat3D, really nice high poly there. are you going to finish it?
    Also, great control box. Some of the divisions between segments look too dark, is that an AO bake? perhaps adjust the apparent depth of those cracks a little.
  • afisher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    afisher polycounter lvl 6
    lxenonl: Thanks mate
    Maph: Yea I know what you mean. I'm hoping to clean it up in the next few days. Yea I've used Selwy's cloth brushes, they're great.
    Neox: Great paintover. I like the layering of the costume. Thanks, yea I wouldn't usually sculpt a cape into such as fixed position, but yea that's a similar pose I'm planning to use for the presentation shots.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    MrHobo wrote: »
    Also, tweaked the head, slightly. New on the left, old on right.

I prefer the ones on the right, she looked classy with that lean back pose.

gotta love this btw, nice work on the ass and waist movement:

Walk_Back.gif

You also have a double frame in there. (start and finish)
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks awesome so far afisher! great cape man! Damn! didnt realize comicon was gonna go down this year, may have to get a late entry going :(
  • Cexar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cexar polycounter lvl 6
    @Hawken: the sexy angel babe could have her wings down in a more dragging fashion and there's a slight knee pop you might need to see over. But other than that I really like how far you've pushed the hips and all... Great job all in all.
  • El Pollo Loco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really cool stuff Neox!

Update on my DareDevil. High poly finished, on to the low poly.

idCff0hby.png
  • Free_Fall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Free_Fall polycounter lvl 8
    Just stopping by to spam this place with some more test bakes :p

5.jpg
    6.jpg

Just a few more tweaks and I should be done with the cage..
  • sahil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sahil polycounter lvl 8
  • timspanjer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another asset for my cathedral
    window_small.jpg
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Just got my hands on Mudbox 2012, lovin' all the new features...
    Viewport grab speedy

howtosculptyourdragon.jpg
  • Tokoya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tokoya polycounter lvl 7
    Sephez: Great lighting, the foliage is looking good as well. Not bad progress for 2 weeks at all

timspanjer: Love the high-poly, the bake turned out really well
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    timspanjer:

It looks pretty decent but there a few points that need to be adressed.

It's better to straighten these uv strips for your next model. You get cleaner bakes/edge transitions and it's easier to texture.

Another thing if the windows are supposed to be transparent it's better to use a separate texture. It's cheaper to render because you'll have only two polies with an alpha value assigned instead of over 1500.

Also it's quite noticable that your window glass and the stones don't really belong to each other since the framing doesn't follow the shape of the stones.
  • timspanjer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf:

Thanks for the feedback. I was wondering how much detail I should go into with the glass-work, but it looks like I need to clear up that area.

For baking normals what tools do you prefer? I tried both xnormal and 3dsmax for this model. I had issues with both.

Also, about the alpha areas of the model. I am using a separate material for these polys in UDK. One material with alpha turn on and one material with alpha turned off. They just happen to share the same texture space. Not sure it that takes care of that problem or not.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    timspanjer, most church windows that have clear glass like that were the victims of bombing and shelling during WWI and WWII. The original stained glass was destroyed and clear glass was put in its place. In almost every church, at least in Europe, the windows would be stained glass with images of bible scenes and saints unless the original stained glass was destroyed. Images dedicated to patrons of the specific church would also be present, such as images representing the stone masons' guild that helped cut the stones that the church was made of.

Depending upon the effect you're trying to achieve, it might be worth your while to research some stained glass windows from medieval and Gothic churches. Gothic especially, since that's the style of window you have.
  • grantthompson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    grantthompson polycounter lvl 13
    AFisher - That is awesome man.! I love it, cant wait to see more

Finished this scene in UDK quite a while ago, but thinking of getting back to it soon, so just thought I would share with you guys. See what you think

Scene.jpg
  • timspanjer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swizzle:
    thanks for the stained glass info. I've got two or thee large windows left to create and I'll keep that in mind moving forward.

Here is the church that i have been using as reference, mainly for layout and structure so far. I am trying to keep the stonework and overall look more stylized. I'll post some images of the UDK scene at some point.
    thanks again
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cgtextures has a big collection of source photos for stained glass windows. Some of them look like they would fit perfectly into your window shape.

edit: to answer your question. i use xnormal personly. what problems did you have?
  • timspanjer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mainly just problems in the tight corners like where the rings meet the outer frame. I ended up breaking those areas off to do separate renders. Not sure if this is the best approach but it worked for this model.
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see because they are actualy connected in the low poly. If you make this stuff seperate elements you can explode the mesh properly before baking and it should give you less trouble.
  • Holi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holi polycounter lvl 16
    afisher: nice technique, thx for sharing!

I decided to push this dude a bit further:
    7e4770302ba56e3e6247c98f14f7a.png
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    Man, the difference with and without a subdivision layer is like night and day!
    axeprog3.png
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    Benji - No worries, do you have a spec on that yet? Yeah that model is finished I just can't render it out because my comp cant handle it mesh smooth previewed! I plan to low poly it though!

Finished this scene in UDK quite a while ago, but thinking of getting back to it soon, so just thought I would share with you guys. See what you think

Scene.jpg

I love this man! A glimpse into your texturing workflow would be awesome!

Timspanjer - That is an awesome window!The colours are really nice! Do you have a wip hread for the catherdral?

Sephez - that ligghting is gorgeous! Do you mind sharing your set up? I really need to work on my lighting!
  • timspanjer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    saferdan - I started a wip thread for my cathedral project.
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    Sephez wrote: »
    UDK_scene11.jpg

Hey guys, here's an environment I'm working on right now, it's taken me about two weeks to get to this point. I plan on doing the brickwalls, the building facades and start on a larger park square the next couple of days. Screenshot taken straight from the UDK

Does anyone have any good tips for setting up some looping leaf/grass movement in what I figured should be the WorldPositionOffset channel of the material editor ?
    Right now I'm basing my leaves on a shader from the FoliageDemo by Epic

Arkadius: Lovin' the style of that guy :D

Neox: That's a very cool character, you're definitely taking her in the right direction as far as awesome goes !

i love the colors and light!
  • kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    Sephez & grantthompson nice env stuff.

i fiddled with this axe - just a small exercise

axte.jpg
  • theStoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    Just finished a model so I thought I'd put it up here.

Jaguarfinal2.png
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
  • Kosai106
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kosai106 polycounter lvl 13
    Bored, so I figured I would give the CryENGINE 3 a shot.
    _420-.jpg

It could use some tweaking and some more work, but I have to finish it soon and move on.
    (Scaled up for the sake of pictures btw!)
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter

Scene.jpg

Looks pretty nice man, I would bring up the levels in the image though, the highlights zone is almost completley flat. also adding some dust particles in there could really help sell it. I would add some blue to the ambient shadows to get the sky bouncing in them, maybe something like this:
    western_paintover.JPG
  • Cordell Felix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cordell Felix polycounter lvl 9
    Kosai106 wrote: »
    Bored, so I figured I would give the CryENGINE 3 a shot.
    _420-.jpg

It could use some tweaking and some more work, but I have to finish it soon and move on.
    (Scaled up for the sake of pictures btw!)

Lol "so i figured i would give the CE3 a shot"
    i get it ;)
  • Envelope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agreed 100%. Definitely bring up the value of that sky too. It looks almost like an ND filter is on a lens. It looks under exposed. Brighten it up! Otherwise, looks super awesome. Makes me wanna play Red Dead.
    Looks pretty nice man, I would bring up the levels in the image though, the highlights zone is almost completley flat. also adding some dust particles in there could really help sell it. I would add some blue to the ambient shadows to get the sky bouncing in them, maybe something like this:
    western_paintover.JPG
  • Kosai106
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kosai106 polycounter lvl 13
    Lol "so i figured i would give the CE3 a shot"
    i get it ;)

I'm glad someone noticed, haha!
  • paradise.engineering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paradise.engineering polycounter lvl 11
    grantthompson thats one awesome environment, It will really inspire me in my pursuit of creating a wild west env.
    wip1.png
This discussion has been closed.