Offline / Send Message
    zxcman polycounter lvl 10
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Old Hammerite: Now (partially) in 3D!

So yeah.

This is still very heavily WIP. I'm going to completely replace the poofy sleeves and trousery bits with stuff that's a lot more complex. I obviously still have a lot of work to do, but whatevs, mang. It's coming together.
    Fb6W2.jpg
  • PhilipK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhilipK polycounter lvl 10
    Damn, lots of cool stuff here :)

I'm working on a tiny scene. Very WIP atm. So don't mind the texture work and lack of little geometry details here and there too much.

surface_research_1.jpg
    surface_research_2.jpg
  • JeremyRM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JeremyRM polycounter lvl 8
    Love the drawing dado.

That's a fierce looking head zxcman, cool stuff.
  • Mr.Cash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, amazing stuff I´m seeing here every time when I´m visiting.

I´ve posted this Warpgate some weeks before, and now its finished. The highpoly is rendered in mental ray, any other screen is taken in 3DS Max using the Xoliulshader.
    Textures are 2048*2048, the glow map too, because we´re using CryEngine2 and so it will be the alpha-channel of the diffuse.

g1_fol.jpg

g2_fol.jpg

gl1.jpg

gl2.jpg

gl4.jpg

gt.jpg
  • MALicivs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MALicivs polycounter lvl 15
    PhilipK wrote: »
    Damn, lots of cool stuff here :)

I'm working on a tiny scene. Very WIP atm. So don't mind the texture work and lack of little geometry details here and there too much.

dude, I love you scene, somehow I imagine all kinds of awesome stuff coming out of it. Great looking sand btw. What engine is this in?
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Another practise painting... Trying to get better and faster..

35mins painting of The Godfather:

god%20father.JPG
  • wi_2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wi_2 polycounter lvl 10
    Nice work zxcman
    And love that little scene PhilipK, nice mood :)

I myself am working on a vehicle model today, based on a concept by Lorin Wood.
    Lancer_004.jpg
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    @PhilipK love the direction that scene is going in, nice style.

@gilesruscoe that is fucking sweet.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Looks awesome Mr.Cash.

Working on the Crypt/Dungeon again:

withcoffin-2.jpg
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    Jackwhat: definitely some of your best speed paints yet - Good range of values and sense of dynamism within solid, readable shapes. I think you should definitely work into these a little more cos you've laid the groundwork really well.

Dado Almeida: I really like the layout for this piece and the line drawing is super clean, but I feel that you could have paid more attention to tones and local colour in order to break things up a little more. I think you can have a dark, night time lighting scheme while still grouping the values more obviously. I'd try desaturating the image and running 'Dust and Scratches' on a flattened version of it to see what the simple value shapes are. Then decide on a focal area you want to punch up with tonal and colour contrast. At the moment there are a number of areas with the same value range and so there's no natural focal point.

Also, on a pure storytelling level you could maybe try and heighten the sense of peril. As it stands, the zombie cats are all lower in the frame than the dogs, which makes them less threatening than they could be. You could have some more zombie cats climbing on the other side of the ship unseen by the dogs, but you might have to rework the composition to do that as it's already quite busy. Hope this helps - you're making great progress with your work.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zxcman: that's a badass bust, dude looks incredibly pissed, very darksiders vibe to the design, but not really in the surface, very cool.

philipK: the atmosphere in those shots is awesome, really cool design, makes me want to know more about its function immediately!

Mr. Cash: that's pretty awesome man, love the guiding lights on the side of it. is the little floating piece behind it a ship? would be cool to see one for scale ref on this.
  • PhilipK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhilipK polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks! I hope to be able to add a lot of little stuff to it, and I've got some nice feedback that I want to change/add too. It's made with the BitSquid engine
  • chadabees
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice PhilipK. Can't wait to see what you end up with.
  • Free_Fall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Free_Fall polycounter lvl 8
  • Allan-p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Allan-p polycounter lvl 7
    gilesruscoe: Getting better, but rather than speedpaints I highly suggest doing longer studies. There is only so much you can learn in half an hour, try doing at least an two hours. Even then that's quite little as my personal "in the zone" usually takes 4-6hours to get into. I'd suggesting hitting that Godfather picture up again.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Will do Allan, having to fit paintings inbetween an Iphone project atm, so trying not to let them get in the way too much and slow things down... Give it a few weeks and i should have some more time to do 4 hours + attempts... Did another 45min practise, will post in my sketch book instead of spamming up WAYWO. Cheers again dude
  • Endzeit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Endzeit polycounter lvl 10
    Worked on my texture again, this time another render, last one didnt even accept my specular,
    though i couldn't figure out how the specular should be.

eNbj8.jpg
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    Allan-p wrote: »
    gilesruscoe: Getting better, but rather than speedpaints I highly suggest doing longer studies. There is only so much you can learn in half an hour, try doing at least an two hours. Even then that's quite little as my personal "in the zone" usually takes 4-6hours to get into. I'd suggesting hitting that Godfather picture up again.
    I've always wondered how mutch time is usual to spend on a Digital painting. I can never get it right, Its either like a half-hour scribble that looks like shit, or a 3 day marathon that leaves me totally burnt out.
  • grantthompson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    grantthompson polycounter lvl 13
    First time I have ever posted in here :) some absolutely amazing stuff guys. This is a Western scene I have been working on for quite a while, I know there are quite a few areas that need improving but I have handed the assignment in now, but I will be coming back to it as soon as I have completed another project :) to give me some fresh eyes on the scene

Screenshot_1.jpg?w=3c2118bf

Screenshot_4.jpg?w=53744dd0

Screenshot_8.jpg?w=c2889fe0

Screenshot_10.jpg?w=ec93d9e7
  • Pix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pix
    Practicing... them skills.

Floor_Panel_003_Practice_Update.jpg
  • Allan-p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoneBrew22: Well in the words of Da Vinci "Art is never finished only abandoned" It's an evolutionary process and maturing process that artists go through in there lifetime to arrive at different states of "finish". It really depends on the work and intention. So for studies, know what you what to learn when you go into it rather than blindfiring into it since you'll end up frustrated as you are going in with too many variables. Rather stick to one than expand to a couple.

For instance I did this study (below) I went in thinking about using a triadic colour scheme and crafted a gamut palette out of it (what makes or breaks a painting is the colours we leave out not put in), I wasn't really emphasising forms since it was just a pure colour exercise. I didn't really keep tabs on the time (all I had to go with was when I told my friend I was working on it and the timestamp I sent that message as) probably 30-45 mins (but behind those 30-45mins are hours upon hours of countless studies on different levels, I've done 4-6 hour life model paintings that sometimes spanned two sessions when I was at uni (hoping for more this term)) I've also worked on a single painting for a couple of months hitting it with fresh eyes different times. And with oils a speed painting usually is hours (for me 4 hours is a speed painting) or even days not minutes haha.

So all I can say is: -Intention of study , -Vary length of studies (underwork things, overwork things , know your limits and try to break them each time when you are ready) - Remember a single day isn't going to make your a godly artist so enjoy your work rather and challenge it, control it don't let it get to you that it is shit, if it is shit then make it not shit or paint it again. - Pace yourself - Passion, fuel it!!

facecolour.jpg
  • Endzeit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Endzeit polycounter lvl 10
    Another quick part of the texture, not sure about the fence yet.
    AhXse.jpg
  • blitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blitz polycounter lvl 17
    Swizzle wrote: »
    Old Hammerite: Now (partially) in 3D!

So yeah.

This is still very heavily WIP. I'm going to completely replace the poofy sleeves and trousery bits with stuff that's a lot more complex. I obviously still have a lot of work to do, but whatevs, mang. It's coming together.
    Fb6W2.jpg

awesome work so far. Looking forward for the final highpoly!
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Marine, bit blobby right now, looks like you might started a bit early on details there. Like the feel of the char though, reminds me of a vampire John Malkovich :)

Started work on my take on a W40K Space Marine (I know pretty much nothing about these things). I don't plan on leaving him metallic, I'll add some paint job in the end.

Needed a break from it so started work on a bolter and one of those backpacks all the Space Marines seem to carry, too. Everything so far is 100% ZBrush made, except for a few basemeshes.

Bolt Pistol is 100% ZBrush, no external basemeshes.

SM_001.jpg

SM_002.jpg

BackPack_WIP1_davidostman_com.jpg

BoltPistol_turntable_davidostman_com.gif
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
  • Allan-p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • STRIKER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    STRIKER polycounter lvl 13
    awesome work guys!
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Nice one tacit! Pecs and stomach look a tad weird but ace otherwise. :)
    Allan-p: Cool! You may want to revisit Clint's nose though, it's a bit off rotation wise.

Texturing update, finished the head including mouth interiors and hair, although for the latter I'll have to see how it looks realtime before I commit to it. I may end up going with the hair strand approach rather a couple of large meshes. :)

Edit: These are unleveled texture flats btw.
    Edit2: I'm a fucking idiot! I just realized the textures of the body/hand look blurry because my OpenGL texture settings were set to 1k max and they're on a 2k tex... I'll upload the fixed version of these later!

TexturingWIP003.jpg
    TexturingWIP002.jpg
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    looking good maph :) I think his UVs could be a bit more optimised though, like his nose/nostrils look Pinched on your UV space and needs more pixels compared to his stubble and skin details, I would of maybe mirrored the ears and put the inside mouth on a smaller, seperate texture sheet as they are often reused and put the hands on the face texture space so they have more pixel density and its also quite nice to have all the skin together. upto you though as your quite far in now.

looks great though bud :)
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Good pointers man! I'll write them down for my next character. :) It's a bit too late to change it up now I'm afraid.
    Thanks!
  • {scumworks}
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and now.. in colors...

knightlayout.jpg
  • ez_jamin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math wrote: »
    diddles !
    -Image-

Nice clay feel and proportions!

Here be a wolfman, might do the whole low poly shebang.
    wolf-2.jpg
  • future-fiction
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    future-fiction greentooth
    'Nother update from me. Damn, I feel so slow compared to everyone in this thread. Gotta speed up.

Sculpt WIP and paintover of where I'm thinking of taking it, crtis much appreciated. Thanks for the comments last time :]

bbhoodwipsmall.jpg

@Swizzle- that head sculpt is awesome!
    @Maph - your face texture is looking really good especially round the eyes. The lower legs seem a bit short though? Not sure. Looking forward to seeing it done.
  • blitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blitz polycounter lvl 17
    tacit math wrote: »
    diddles !

Great sculpting work! Like your stuff..
  • Fewes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fewes polycounter lvl 8
    Looking at this thread always makes me wish I could sculpt...

Managed to get some work done due to an internet connection failure for several days. Sort of nice to work without the distractions of the internet...

m14_t_1.jpg
    m14_t_2.jpg
    m14_t_3.jpg
    m14_t_4.jpg
    m14_t_5.jpg
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    'Nother update from me. Damn, I feel so slow compared to everyone in this thread. Gotta speed up.

Sculpt WIP and paintover of where I'm thinking of taking it, crtis much appreciated. Thanks for the comments last time :]

bbhoodwipsmall.jpg

@Swizzle- that head sculpt is awesome!
    @Maph - your face texture is looking really good especially round the eyes. The lower legs seem a bit short though? Not sure. Looking forward to seeing it done.

Ooh, nice! You should make a verson with the hood down to showcase the hair, it looks so nice. :)
  • Mr.Cash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny wrote: »
    Looks awesome Mr.Cash.

Thanks alot^^
    woogity wrote: »

Mr. Cash: that's pretty awesome man, love the guiding lights on the side of it. is the little floating piece behind it a ship? would be cool to see one for scale ref on this.

Tnx^^

The floating piece is just a free positionable buoy to supports the orientation of the player, because the game(mod) takes place in the open universe.

Scaling: There you have me! :p It should be a realy big warpgate and the problem is that it doesnt cames out believeable. Due to the fact that everything is modeled out and there is no use of crazybump or stuff like that, it would be a more enormous effort to get rid of it. I will post a screen with size-relation to something known during the next days.

I´m also quite confident with this guiding lights, so currently I´m working on a texture-animation to make the lights pulsing in the direction you have to fly through the gate.
  • meshiah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    meshiah polycounter lvl 17
    everyones killin it. always love your shapes tactic!
    couple randoms from me. started a zero g pilot based off the trevor claxton helmet design i did a while back.just a change from all the heavy chunky zerg/terran ive been doing lately.and then just a lunch doodle head.
    zerog1.jpg
    zerog2.jpg
    lunchd1.jpg
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Some amazing stuff posted over the last few pages! I especially loving your character stuff future-fiction, Swizzle, Massbot and Tacit :)

Running into Subtool limits with this guy = time to move onto bake and texturing I reckon, and work in more details that way, in combinatio nwith the sculpt.
    wip\samchester_body_wip.jpg
  • Razorb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    holy shit everyone ;o... lots of win on this page now ;o!
  • Mr.Wednesday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gotta agree with Razorb here, amazing work here! Damn! :)
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    We shud have a news post - WAYWO Page of the week
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    FAT_CAP that is freaking badass!
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Maph, Future Fiction, Meshiah, Fat_Cap, loving it, so many great characters :)

Ive been testing out a new base mesh :D super early still!!!! might turn him into a futuristic type cop, heavily stylised aswell.

old_cop_001.jpg
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Virtuosic wrote: »
    Very nice, trust me when i say this... make 64x64 gloss map for this... the concrete and the material on the top shouldn't have a constant gloss value... the cement should be something like 15, and the plastic/metal (can't tell) should be something much higher like in the 40-50 range.

this will add an extra touch of realism that will help with the aesthetic.

post an update if u do this so i can see it :)

Thanks for the tips :)

I originally just used the spec map for the gloss channel. However creating a gloss map like you mentioned seems to help out with the material definition... that. and. it was stupid easy to make :P

garbagegloss.jpg
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    Looks nice brandoom, but i would recommend you to lower the Tris count, 93.322 Tris a bit over the top for just a trash bin :P
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    Oh man. @ Swizzle, East, Allan-p, Maph, scumworks, future-fiction, meshia, FAT_CAP, crazyfool: AWESOME STUFF. Got me all inspired! Keep at it mates and lasses! :D
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Looks nice brandoom, but i would recommend you to lower the Tris count, 93.322 Tris a bit over the top for just a trash bin :P

Yeah, somewhere near 80k would be more fitting..
This discussion has been closed.