Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Pre-Dom War V - Concept Art

Replies

• nilknarf815
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nilknarf815 polycounter lvl 6
    Narrowed down to 3, thanks to you guys, and fleshed them out a bit more.
    predomwar-thumbs-narrowed.jpg
  • Ryha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh my god a puppy!!!! I want number 3 as a pet!!! I will love him and feed him and call him Fred!!
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    I really like the head of #1 and I think you could incorporate the multi-skull head of #2 onto #1. #3 is giving me this ape-ish, minotaur feel and I'm not sure I like it if you're going for corrupted.

With #1 I feel like the trail underneath could have skulls and bones inferred.

I'd say a mix of 1 and 2 would be really nice but give it more length. I want him towering over me as I quake in fear.
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    More progress, this time with the War General in the scene.

DominanceWar_progress3.jpg
  • Ulrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Huge ! Love it :)
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    ok. I decided to step back a bit and do some more thumbs. I had an idea to do a more comical/stylised piece. I originally just thought about fat "Shadow" dude with a fat knife. But then i decided to do the same dude as the other classes as well. This is not related to my other concept.

thumbs3fatties.jpg
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    I like the direction you're taking stinger. The earlier silhouettes suggested you were going to go with a more slim character, but I love the stockiness of this new design.

#1 feels like a straight up undertaker, but the other three don't feel developed enough. I feel like #2 is trying to be more silly than dangerous and that he could use a cape or something.

But yeah, I'm all for #1's sword. I'd almost say incorporate that exaggerated feel everywhere. This guy needs to be ridiculous.
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    Change is good. and violent.

DominanceWar_progress4.jpg
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Lookin' good, suburbbum, very action packed. Gotta say i was a little let down to realize the mage was only casting a defensive spell and not laying someone out with a tiger uppercut. But for showing off 2 equal classes i could see why you went this route.

I'd personally like to see some headgeare on the mage, some kind of techy cowl, or something. Not just from an itemization standpoint for MMO's, but he just looks a little too bare, but that's just my opinion.

Anyway, time to bust out the wacom before all you guys leave me in the dust, very good work so far everyone!
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    Thanks a lot :) Yeah, i was trying to stress the fact that he's not physically that strong (despite the muscles) and go with something a little more traditional. I'll throw some things around and see what looks good. Yeah, I'm excited to see what everyone else is going to throw at this.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doodle.jpg

Family emergency came up so i'm throwing this up super fast, more sketchy than i'd like even a first post but here it is. Going to put a bad guy NPC in the midground and have the shadow sneaking up behind him. I'm thinking the Class in the foreground will be a general. Ideas appreciated.
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    damn, the concept thread is kicking some major ass!
  • Ryha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Huzza!
    Sub im loving the huge war general, there is so much weight behind him. :)
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    Some basic shade addition.

I'm still trying to find out what time of day I want this to be. Any suggestions?

DominanceWar_progress5.jpg
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Liking it, but I think the left palm should be facing outwards, so that it looks like it's creating the shield and warding the attack away. Facing towards the guy, it looks like an uppercut.
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    oh snap, you are correct. I'll see what it looks like the other way around.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    suburbbum wrote: »
    But yeah, I'm all for #1's sword. I'd almost say incorporate that exaggerated feel everywhere. This guy needs to be ridiculous.

Cheers :) Yeah. 1 is the strongest design and I do like the sword. I'll mess about with his proportions and try working the design up a bit more.

Your entry is looking great. As for turning the hand round. hmm... I dunno. But having said that. I have noticed his fist is clenched but the magic hand isnt. I'd open his hand. Will look less like an uppercut. Also. I'd like to see you push the design of the big dude. He's cool n all. But I think you could make him more interesting.

@crazyfingers: Just want to mention that you might want to re think the general (if thats him in the sketch). Both characters need to be visible (not from behind). I might be completely wrong but its worth checking before you go too far.
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    Stinger88 wrote: »
    Also. I'd like to see you push the design of the big dude. He's cool n all. But I think you could make him more interesting.

yeah, he's really paling in comparison to the technomage. I'm actually kind of upset about it because I can't think of what all to do with him. I might go back and do some prelim sketches for him instead of working on the piece as a whole. I really need to bring my A game for this.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    ok. Quick proportion changes. I thought I was going to like 2 best then I did 3...then I was confused. Still think number 2 is looking like the way forward but I like 3 and 1 as well.

fatgeneral.jpg
  • Acumen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Acumen polycounter lvl 18
    Oh boy, I just laughed my ass off when i saw #2 of Stinger88 first concepts on this page :D
    Made me remember my good old One Piece days, with the most badass looking characters that act and move so quirky. I loved that idea.
    Shame you went with the safe option ;)
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Acumen wrote: »
    Made me remember my good old One Piece days,

ahhh yes... The memories.. I remember those days. I used to be able to run at the speed of sound with my superman slippers on as well. My mother would say "Slow down you little blighter you'll do yourself an injury"...Then she'd say "Anyway. you want to get out and get yourself a job instead of running about in your PJ's, You left college 2 years ago!..."

You never know. I might still do that idea. Plus I've still got another character to think up.

Anyhoo. Heres a more finished concept. Colours were a bit rushed so its a little messy.

generalxt.jpg
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    Sweet deal stinger. I really love the proportions. Now for some detail!
  • WillMac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :poly124: GO Stinger! Nice work polycount.. the 120 thumbs by the drawbarian is just fired me right up. Suburbum, I like the technomage + motion in that sketch a lot.

This is highlights of my first thumbnails session. Going to do a more in depth thumbs sheet for each class before I delve deeper..

shadowweb.jpg
    technomageweb.jpg
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    Willmac, that larger shadow concept has some real potential. If you choose to go with something like that, I'd like to see that fan blade design on the swords repeated somewhere else.

I'd also say change up the clothing values and see what you can do with those shoulder pads.

The top right technomage is the one that catches my eye the most and I think has the most potential. Push the anatomy and proportions more.
  • Ulrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi !

There's a first compo try for the illustration:

DW_MMO_AC_Ulrick_02.jpg

Reminder: It's a Steampunk Victorian look-like Techomage girl and her corrupted warrior.
    I still have to concept the steampunk backpack, a proper armor for the corrupted, ...
  • gineticz
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    Got some time to work out the rest. What do you guys think?

DominanceWar_progress6_joke.jpg
  • gineticz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luvin it so much suburbbum ...keep it up =D
  • Ryha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Personally i find it entertaining sub, but other may find it kind of lude. I laughed pretty hard though. :)
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    that was the point. this isn't serious. i'm just sort of spent creatively today. I'm glad you laughed :)
  • gineticz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blocked in sum colours to gt an idea of the type of mood dat i want....comments?...much appreciated :)

babiesredoneblockedcolourrefined1.jpg
  • WillMac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :thumbup: Hey up Suburbum, lolz @ your crazy update and thanks for feedback... I agree and I am taking that on board.

I liked the last warlord you did with hammer, yet feel maybe post action (swing) might work as the technomage has "blocked" the blow... the polycount appendage shows contact and that seems to make sense to my mind, rather than the "before" swing hammer shot you had. Just ideas, you seem to be rolling keep on! I did love the motion in the mecha pant design, however I also love the new jet powered legs design as that seems rather original. Just nice to see it develop and change, so many options!

Ulrich.. I think that is a great start, great comp, I can see that working out nicely. The technomage is interesting sketch looking forward to seeing more.

@gineticz = Ja, I see where you heading now! I like the idea of it and personally would try to make him seem infinitely outnumbered like there is no way he will survive (if you keep landscape). If you go portrait, then you can make more of the sword and light in the composition, it seems to stick off the top. What you need to do is take that character and get that right arm and shoulder with sword correct, it seems to be what catches my eye most that a change could sort. I googled "sword aloft" and found this as first pic :D .. there are many more..

http://www2.imperial.ac.uk/blogs/studentblogs/annabel/files/2009/03/and-that-was-when-i-raised-my-magic-sword-aloft2.jpg
  • gineticz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey willmac....thanks for the advice, i really do see what you meant by that right arm of his >< , yup...will defonately frow in more killer babies :D fink i mite stick wiv landscape since it kind of has abit more of cinematic feel? cheers =]
  • Ryha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Definatly made my day.
    I did the rough lines for mine last night hopefuly i can pump out a tonal or some colour keys tonight if im not too tired after work.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suburbum (aka ass bandit) - Quit actin like you got l33t skillz. Remember that time you said you'd concept my sleeve for me? Also, do my illustration homework next quarter. That is all.

<3

P.S. - Sweet drawing.
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    Thanks brah. I thought we were doing mostly traditional stuff next quarter, no digital work? I dunno.

Also, I could work on your sleeve over break if you still haven't found anyone to do it.

P.S. - eat a dick <3
  • gineticz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    decided that i'll change his pose abit....since the sword pose wasn't working for me at all =/ still figuring out where am i going to put the team polycount logo on my characters >.<
  • gineticz
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    gineticz, I like the changes to the anatomy that you've made, but you're really going to need to change some of those base colors. Look back to more of the polycount green and try and stray from that light purple.

Green + Purple = Insanity. It looks like your scene has a lot of intentional chaos going on, but try and steer clear of putting too much of those colors together. Try making his armor more grey/black and giving him green accents.
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    Suburbbum (I also second Sean_EG's nickname for you), if you pull that off, I will be impressed. Even if you don't, I'll still be impressed.

Crit: The epic jumping man's perspective is a little bit off. If we see that much of....polycount, then we'd see less back butt, and mostly side butt.
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    Suburbbum (I also second Sean_EG's nickname for you), if you pull that off, I will be impressed. Even if you don't, I'll still be impressed.

Crit: The epic jumping man's perspective is a little bit off. If we see that much of....polycount, then we'd see less back butt, and mostly side butt.

lol, that was a joke WIP. I'm changing up the "jumping" character this week.

Although if I get enough serious support I'd totally flush out the concept haha.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    ok...Onward!

Thumbs for friend or foe. Not sure yet. I think I will start blocking out a finished scene then I might have a better idea.

1. Shadow
    2. TechnoFro
    3. TechnoMage
    4. TechnoTiki

thumbs4.jpg
  • gineticz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    omdaiz....i smiled when i saw techno-fro....he/she seems lyk sucha interesting character....:D
  • JGcount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tehcnofro all the way
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Yeah. Technofro seems like the way forward. And I'll do some thumbs with general v technofro tommorrow.

In the meantime, heres a quick mock up of Shadow vs General. Bonus with this is I dont have to change the general. btw, the shadow wouldn't remain silhouette. As with shadow types. He'd have detail etc. I think the problem with this image is that the characters are very similar.

scene01test.jpg
  • WillMac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, do the Technoafro!
  • Ryha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Techno fro made me laugh, I like it, but i also really like number 3, he has a very appealing design.
    k, so I drew it out yesterday, and today even though i feel like someone punched me in the gut, I finished a tonal. Plenty of flaws, i'm thinking of pushing the technomage's pose a bit more, i'm not really feeling it, even though I loved it in my original sketch. I will probably try fixing her pose(maybe) then start doing some colour keys.
    dominance_war_tonal_by_killishandra-d3326sc.jpg
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doodle2.jpg

Bit of progress finally, figuring out exactly what it is i'm trying to do. The environment is still up in the air, and i'm thinking of saving room for some nifty UI elements like character portraits and health bars, that sorta stuff to give it a real MMO kind of feel to it.
  • gineticz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    suburbbum wrote: »
    gineticz, I like the changes to the anatomy that you've made, but you're really going to need to change some of those base colors. Look back to more of the polycount green and try and stray from that light purple.

Green + Purple = Insanity. It looks like your scene has a lot of intentional chaos going on, but try and steer clear of putting too much of those colors together. Try making his armor more grey/black and giving him green accents.

hey sub, i didnt quite gt what you mean....bcoz...originaly i kind of wanted a sinister type of babies...thus dedicin to use da purple....but....is da green + purple just a no no mix or sumfing? >< yh i gt wat yu mean bout the armour...much appreciated...i'll wrk on that agen :) cheers dude
  • gineticz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys...gave my baby a little sumfing to ride on...still experimenting with my base colours...tell me what you think? :)babiesredoneblockedcolourswordpurple.jpgbabiesredoneblockedcolourswordred.jpg