Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Pre-Dom War V - Concept Art

Replies

• Nespouik
  • Polkabrains
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great entries so far! :)

Finally had acces to a scanner so time to show something myself.

aKr5P.jpg

That's my War General and Shadow. kept it safe in terms of poses.
    Feedback would be great! And I'd like to know if you guys think the character in the back is covered up too much.
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jouste polycounter lvl 14
    @kaktuzlime: hey dude! i actually do all my lines in sketchbook pro at around 300dpi so they stay nice and crisp. the program is super cheap and very "light" on the features but it's got amazing navigation and speed. all i could really say is give it a shot at a higher res with either the hard pen or the super sexy pencil tool in sketchbook and see if you can get some lines that your happy with.

are you doing all your lines now traditionally then scanning? or are you working through PS?

oh and your second character is the best!

@Rayph: egads man! that is a stellar piece of work! excellent comp topped with some amazing characters!

if i had to say something its that the characters are beginning to get lost in each other ala "new transformers" syndrome.

@Koryface: love it! whats with all the hammers in PC's entries? very cool piece.

@lampekap: hey thanks! i was worried i wouldn't be able to top off the craziness of cauldronis but its turning out that i like phelgrum a little more!

@suburbbum: i really really like your piece. i'm almost in fear of it getting too "effecty" because your characters are so interesting they are almost getting lost in all the crazy FX. then again i am terrible at FX so am most likely a poor judge of all thing FX. either way i like your picture a bunch.

@Polkabrains: i really like your shadow design character. i would like to see him take up more space, he's very vivi in design and i would fear that he would be lost behind your general character. did you ever think about a vertical design with him kinda floating or something?

everything is looking so super!

i've started painting up my picture so will post a sectional WIP like cool-dude kaktuzlime!

so here is a first pass of phelgrum! all pinkish and gross looking with his rocky claws pulsating with a terrible arcane power! i've also shifted the size of cauldronish to help with the overall composition.

coloring being my weaker area i gotta really get going on this piece so i can wrap it up in the time allotted.

so gather your strength my polycount companions and lets make this final push one that will crack the very mountains apart in a pattern most attractive! for we create under the watchful banner of the sharptooth and may all our endeavors electrify our enemies!

jouste_DW5_wip.jpg
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    thanks a bunch jouste :)

Your piece is looking sweet so far.

Polkabrains: Your back character is being obstructed too much. I feel like the pose could be better too. Try posing him over the shoulder of the larger character, in the air or on a ledge/rock. That or I could see him directly in front (perspective wise, not covering up the girl) of the girl sitting down (again, on a ledge).

I dunno, that's all I've got and I don't know much. Looking sweet though. get a move on!
  • {scumworks}
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ... sorry wrong post,!
  • Loren Meyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some really great work here, peeps!

I'm late to the party but here's some process pieces and some roughs.

Going to go with the shadow and war general.
    predomvthumbs.jpgpredomvthumbs1.jpgpredomvprogress.jpg
  • gineticz
  • koryface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gineticz: I like the idea! It's coming along. I think for the girl you may want pull out some reference and get a good solid drawing, maybe look at some mouth reference as well for the back.

Here is where I'm at with mine:

predomwar_wip10.jpg
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    koryface: wow, that's looking incredible. I'm glad you got rid of the rocks underneath the male characters feet. before it looked as though he was being lifted by the mage but now it feels more like a jump. great job :)

Loren Meyer: good progress so far but you better hurry up lol

gineticz: i really feel like you need to draw my eye in more. you've got that center area of conflict with decent light-to-dark contrast, but i feel like you need more bounce lighting. all of your light right now is white, especially on your little demon babies, and i feel like you really need to experiment with different light colors. The green and purple contrast could put some cool blues and maybe reds in there.

Nespouik: adorable :) i like where you're going with this, keep it up.

anyways, progress. added some more metal texture, got rid of that dividing line across the middle, and added some more to my war general.

DominanceWar_progress16-1.jpg
  • Ryha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I know im not that great, but here is my latest bit. I may be done at this point, or I may tweak some more. Unfortunately working all day then coming home to work on this is taking it's toll on me >.>; Any main problems i still see with mine are compositional, and things I should have done. If I felt i had the time and energy I would just do it over and im sure it wouldn't suck so bad. :p Im really loving your effects sub, the lights and embers and all that jazz are just crazy, and there is so much power behind your poses. :p great arcs.
    dominance_war_colour02_by_killishandra-d340pvk.jpg
  • WillMac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lovely updates ladies and gents. Is nice to see all your process.

I went back to sketches. A mix of these ideas is what I will do for Techno Mage... an enchanted snail with exo shell.

tm.jpg?w=420&h=612

technomage-design-sheet.jpg?w=420&h=593

tm2.jpg?w=420&h=593
  • Ryha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love how he looks like a techno snail. :p
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    okay, added some more stuff to the tenacle arm wing thing, and changed the morning star into a claw. thoughts?

DominanceWar_progress17.jpg
  • Sirdelita
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sirdelita polycounter lvl 10
    @subburbbum-I've been following your piece and I really like it overall. But it's just not there yet. The white sphere is too distracting. It's pulling away from your great designs. Personally I want to see those hands more. I would pull the white around the character way back but keep it strong on the outside and where the technomage is blocking!

Hope that helps! KEEP GOING!
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    yeah, that top left corner has been bugging me for a while. i'll figure it out, but yeah, that sun/moon/thing has to go. I'll try messing around with the light values in the bubble sphere to see what works best. When you say you want to see the hands, do you mean the metal hands or his actual hands?
  • Nespouik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot Suburbbum^^

Little up with just a close-up :)

DWV_WIP5.jpg
  • Sirdelita
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sirdelita polycounter lvl 10
    The metal glowy hands! I love them, I want to see them! <3
  • xenaxis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everyone !!

Awesome works here! i'm impressed !
    I daily watch this forum and all your DWV submissions give me the motivation to post here.

Although i'm not as skilled as you, i'll post because your critics are always constructive, and i really want to improve.

So here is my 1st try of a Technomage :

f8988d1004a5e2b480551b949bafa.jpg
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    Very cool xenaxis. Glad you're joining our ranks :)

Your concept has some promise but i'd like to see her doing something else besides singing lol. Just a few poses I slopped together. I don't know if this will help, but once you find a pose you like the rest is just nitpicking.

suggestions_xenaxis.jpg
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Contest7.jpg

More or less finished the last homework assignment i will ever have to do for the rest of my life. Time to roll this bitch back out, put on some jams and work on this for at least a couple more hours, update incoming. I'm lovin' this idea of making the brute a burn victim, i'm no anatomy guru and i can just lump skin over where i don't want to spend time looking at reference!

You guys are kicking way too much butt, serious fire under my ass right now.
  • minisiegfried
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Contest8.jpg
    Some Duke influence showing.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Contest9.jpg
    Bit of work on the shadow, I'll worry about color harmony later
  • xenaxis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazyfingers > love how it's coming out !
    Suburbbum > thanks for the feedback, here is another WIP !

b1fff3dc588738b96f971f49d1783.jpg
  • Polkabrains
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @xenaxis

I really like the composition, and also the character design for the one on the right. Inspired by tengu perhaps? :)

@ Jouste & Suburbbum

Thanks for the feedback!

I changed the composition a bit, gave it some depth.
    The whole idea is that the characters are overlooking a battlefield from the top of a hill/mountain.

Put the shadow character on the foreground, put down flats to give myself a pallet to work with and made a simple silhouette for the background.

a0OM9.jpg

I hope to spend most of tomorrow on this, so I can get it finished in time.
    But for now, tell me what you think. :)
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    Probably my last WIP until final submission. I gotta say, this little warm up generated more attention then I thought it would. You guys are all awesome. I'm just happy to be a part of this.

DominanceWar_progress18.jpg
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jouste polycounter lvl 14
    it has been a savage and brutal pre-dominance war but i must finalize my image!

it has been a most inspiring and informative trek trough the frozen peaks of creativity and creation. we braved the boorish art-block beasts and laid waste to all those fools who stood up against our horde of sharptoothed fiends.

It's all looking so wonderful my green bretheren! best of luck in this final push! lets represent our fanged friend with fervor and forever feast upon the fools who fear the fabulous force that is polycount!

here's a quick recap of the corrupted polycount combo!

it's that phoenix wielding fiend

PHELGRUM: HIGH-BRANDISHER OF THE BIRD ABLAZE

and everyone's favorite stew of sin...

CAULDRONIS: THE GRIM GHOULASH

jouste_pre-domwar_final.jpg
  • Daven
  • kaktuzlime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaktuzlime polycounter lvl 14
    @Jouste: Looking great! Lots of humour, colour, neat materials and good design! Solid drawingskills too =) Your image makes me feel good inside! =D You´re such an inspirer with words too! Thank you for the advice regarding lineart. I´ll be sure to give sketchbook pro a more thorough look. At the moment I use photoshop solely, with a hard round brush, 100% opacity 90%flow and opacity set to pen pressure. My lines tend to get choppy, and when I really zoom in the linework becomes incoherent =(. Currently I just try to get rid of the lines in the renderingphase =)
    Oh, and I think you could make a small fix on the cauldron/shield-handle. That big indent on the right hand metal bar holding the wooden handle confuses the depth cause it creates a tangent. I think you could make a better overlap there :)

This is where I´m at right now. Please feel free to offer me critique, still got some days left to improve :)

DWVJHelgesonWIP.jpg
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wake up in the morning to read Jouste's descriptions.
  • WillMac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jouste, Katuzlime, Suburbbum ... great stuff on finishing, very inspirational!

My latest WIP, logo inside the exo shell... In hindsight, I spent ages exploring what I could do in roughs, rather than just doing it in a final, then another project needed my attention, so bad timings. Still, will try over next two days.

comp5.jpg

Good luck everyone else in getting that Final done!
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Contest10.jpg
    Some morning progress before i go off to enjoy my weekend a little (thank god for the 2 day extension!)

Great work as always everyone, but god damn i love everything about Cauldronis: The green goulash.
  • Rayph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rayph polycounter lvl 13
    Some good updates so far everyone. I am crunching in the end to get this done. Haven't had alot of time to work on it unfortunately :(

domwarfinal3.jpg
  • kaktuzlime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Go on Rayph! You can do it, and it´ll be totally worth it! =D
  • Polkabrains
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ the last few updates above.

This is going great guys. You guys are extremely inspiring! :D

This is what I got done today. Like where it's going. Still...ANY feedback is welcome :).

PS: @crazyfingers: There is a 2 day extension??

EBVyk.jpg
  • Rayph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rayph polycounter lvl 13
    crazyfingers- Lookin cool so far. Only suggestion I might have is keep your values a little shorter in range until the end (hold off for highest hihgs and darkest darks) just to help set the piece up for a strong finish!

kaktuzlime- very unique and lots of character in this I dig it.

jouste- that pot creature thing is one of my favs of this competition great work :)

and a teeny update on mine:

domwarfinal4.jpg

and my hidden polycount logo...

hiddenpc.jpg
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @polkabrains and everyone else, blar, doesn't look like the 2 day extension is official, saw someone post about it and should have checked on it better, sorry for the confusion! Arg, hope i didn't screw anyone over

@ Raph Thanks for the suggestion man, you're totally right, when i get time to work on it more, likely tommorow i'll bring the tonal range down and worry about making it glitzy and glamory later!
  • Polkabrains
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ crazyfingers.

Wel, I actually do think it's official. It says so on the official DW site....

Or am i missing something?.....now i'm confused. :S
  • kaktuzlime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok ok, so I made some tweaks =) If ya´ll can´t spot any major mistakes I´m ready to turn this baby in, step by step images and all...
    DWVJHelgeson.jpg
    JHelgesonDWVWarGeneralSteps.jpg
    JHelgesonDWVShadowSteps.jpg
    JHelgesonDWVRobotSteps.jpg
    JHelgesonDWVCompositionSteps.jpg
  • Nespouik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaktuzlime : Difficult for me to post just after you XD Amazing work, I'm in love with your two characters !!!

So... Little up, WIP again ! I have still much work to do on the colors, the technomage expression, the landscape... I hope I'll have enought time for all that!

compopredominance8.png
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First and foremost, dunno if you guys saw this thread:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78906&page=2

I think everyone here should read it before submitting their entry. Think really hard if you want to give up the rights to your artwork that you did for free.

Secondly, I just checked the deadline has been extended to weds, here's the link if you want to see it youreslf, so 2 more days to work, Woot!

http://www.dominancewar.com/2010/preliminary/en_rules.php
    (countdown is at the very bottom)

@kaktuzlime, got a small nitpick for ya, the negative space between the 2 characters looks a little too rough with a couple strokes overlapping each other, other than that looks great! love the style.
  • minisiegfried
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • gineticz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys....just gt bk frm uni.....submitted ma final piece earlier dis mornin....but only found out just moments ago dat GA sellin our wrk fing brought a stand-still to DWV.....n wat i didnt notice was....dat da deadline was extended.....blehhhh....o wellz....i guess dat was mainly ma fault.... ><'' but yh....dis is ma first ever completed piece.....technicali speakin...it's my very first piece of actual paintin dat i done in photoshop =)

it was sucha pleasure competin in dis event wiv all yu green-toothies =D
    special thanks to all the artistes that gave me feed back =) much appreciated

this was da final piece that i submitted (tbh...i wasnt at all happy wiv it)....==''

gineticzpre-DWV.jpg
  • Rayph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rayph polycounter lvl 13
    Another update...about halfway there.

domwarfinal5.jpg
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chuggin' on

Contest13.jpg

Update:
    Contest14.jpg
    He's now a tentacle dude. His chemical burns were so bad frickin' tentacles came out of his head. Yes? No?
  • Nespouik
  • Polkabrains
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got some work done again!

Bt8mg.jpg
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    I think I'm done. I'll add WIP images for the final submission. I HOPE that they'll get these issues resolved soon.

How do you guys feel about the information layout? Should I add my e-mail or anything?

dominancewar_FINAL.jpg
  • koryface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everyone is looking great! Really sweet stuff. Hopefully they'll clear up all this controversy soon so we can post our work. I am almost done, just need to do some color correction and graphic design.

PreDomWarV_KoryHubbell.jpg