Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Pre-Dom War V - Concept Art

Replies

• crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    RIght on, i was one of those voices. I'm not sure helmet would look right on this guy though, i'd experiment with some hoods first. If you can find a way to make a hood high tech that'd be money.
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    Here's what I came up with. See what you like better. The hood made him look too much like Dr. Doom lol

MaskVsBeard.jpg
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like the helm! Also adds to the piece just from an MMO itemization standpoint. But i miss the beard. Maybe you could modify the helm so there's still some beard comin' out? I really liked how much character the beard added, made him very wizard-like.
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    ugh, I want to join!! but my free time gets swallowed up by another project that I have to finish first, maybe i can squeeze some time into this, if not, you guys will see me in the main event.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doodle6.jpg
    It just dawned on me that i've essentially recreated the "charger" from left 4 dead 2, completely unintentionally. Turned those wires coming out of his chest into overalls cuz i was lazy and thought a giant lumbering farm boy would be interesting, then decided that was too symmetrical and lowered one of the straps, now... he's a charger :P. Oh well wasn't too happy with him any way, but i am happier with his pose so now i need to think of what kind of NPC to make him, thinking of some kind of pyromaniac to explain his burned face and body.

Havin' a blast working on this though, gonna hit it again tommorow and try to think of some original stuff for the brute NPC.
  • Rayph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rayph polycounter lvl 13
    Lots of good updates in here everyone :) (will post some specific comments later, on my lunch break atm)

Here are some refined character sketches for my shadow/corruptor

DomWar5_Characters_Sketch_01.jpg
  • sadies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    koryface -- lovely work!!

kaktuzlime -- great fun style, can't wait to see more of your progress!
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    @suburbbum: Looking great man! I was kinda feeling bad for making you second guess your first orc character. I'm glad I did now and take full credit for making you a better artist. So I expect royalties in future :P As for the mask vs beard. I love the mask but I think the beard works better and it adds movement. Somehow mix the 2? Half mask and beard or add something to the mask that adds movement. Pipes or summit.

Some great pieces developing here. Will be watching.

Which brings me to my character. I've been humming and harring about it but I've decided to model him and jump over to the 3D comp. I've had a nice little idea (IMO) for the piece and I hope I can pull it off. So sorry to abandon the 2D thread but I think its gonna be the best way for me to get the best from my design.

p.s. I might be back if the 3D goes tits up. So keep my seat warm please :D
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    ~ Great action in your Suburbbum. That mask is really doing it for me.

I'm managing to get little updates at this each lunchtime. I'm loving the fact that there's no need to worry about UVs or seams, or texture maps. 2D is so freeing.
    dmwr2d_02-2.jpg
  • WillMac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Urich! That last update is amazing to see.

Suburbum, is just my opinion.. I liked the original mix of sci-fi and fantasy of your techno mage, it was the beard that added to that, without the face plate bit still have the helmet, you could have a mix of both... just my opinion, is a great image.

@Genetiz = I liked the hand how you had it green.... keep at it.

@ Stinger = shame, yet good luck! Initially I was torn, and there are some brill 3d guys make a triangle look like a city. Is a lot of work in the 2 weeks left.

@ Rayph, nice work so far, they have that alchemy vibe I like it, and the scale is interesting. The helmets are both looking top notch.

@ Crazyfinger, nice update it came on a lot. The shadow eye light trail is cool idea. My one input could be I want to see the front of swordsman, but at the same time, fair point, it is a nice composition and scene. Keep at it.
  • WillMac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for feedback Suburbum, I totally ramped up technomage, I have a story behind these characters now as they are partners.. still, this is sketch stuff but is nice to be rolling now. I like this shadow helmet in this speedie..

shadow1.jpg

It needs totally re-doing comp wise and design, I am still exploring possibles..

recompeweb.jpg
    v.jpg
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Dreamer

Really coming along man, love the action and there's still that raw emotion in your piece that really makes it stand out.

I hear ya on 2D being a nice break. So much time spent on 3d environments, characters and game design lately that i've forgotten the simple pleasure of just sitting down to draw cool shYt.

Willmac: Lookin' spiffy, but i feel like the weakest area of your piece right now is the helmets of the robot and the guy in front. The eye especially could use some jazzing up and doesn't really fit in well with the rest of the robot.
  • WillMac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks am working on it. Is an exo-suit.. she is some kind of enchanted old worm or snail, a mage. My robot didn't seem magical in the end, I wanted it organic using tech.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doodle7.jpg
    You have encountered an elite party boy.

Seriously though just trying weird crap to see what works. This is just too goofy, but a good base to try future tech stuff.
  • kaktuzlime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaktuzlime polycounter lvl 14
    Here´s small teaser Wip =) Skipped the gym yesterday to get some rendering done....

ShadowWIP.jpg
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doodle8.jpg

Things are finally more or less in place. time to just tighten things up, start really rending in the details and cleanup. Whew, the monotony of doodling things in over and over again till they kinda work is almost over.
  • Ulrick
  • gineticz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    been so tied down with uni assignments....so slow progress ='(
    still redefining bits and bobs atm
    amourredone3babiedefinin.jpg
  • koryface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking great everyone! I am really digging the variance of style.

Rayph, those look sick!

Here's mine so far. Still working on the comp, but mostly just rendering my war general.

predomwar_wip6.jpg
  • Bandygrass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is looking so epic, Kory. Reminds me a little of Gregory Manchess. I'm definitely an admirer of your work. Your blog is great.

Were you, by any chance, a member of Eatpoo way back in like 2004?
  • Sirdelita
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sirdelita polycounter lvl 10
    Kory that is looking pretty gorgeous! KEEP IT UP!
  • koryface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Bandygrass and Sirdelita! I'm greatly flattered. I remember loving Eatpoo, but I was not a part of it. Actually it was one of my early inspirations when I started painting digitally.
  • DeathByChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeathByChris polycounter lvl 17
    Thats awesome Kory, Great rendering. any plans for some stuff in background?
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jouste polycounter lvl 14
    @katzulime: holy crap! that is looking grrreat! stop teasing us and get us another shot! :D

man alive we got a strong front line of talent this year! such an awesome pile of artistic powerhouses!

i've been a little tied up as of late from a recent shift into employment but i shall complete this piece! i shall wrangle up the chains and whip them across my slate canvas of eternal inspiration

so here's the layout and lines i've decided on. still rough of course but i wanted to have two of the corrupted that fought together.

so on our right we have that sinful soup, that baleful brine, the frightful fondue... (i could probably do that all day) CAULDORONIS THE GRIM GHOULASH! watch out people! that's a spined war ladle he be wielding in tandem with that lid shield! cauldronis was a slurry of foul concoctions that was so horrific and vile it grew an evil consciousness, consumed the insane alchemists that brewed him. and transmogrified the cauldron that became his new body! yowzers what a tale!

on the left side is PHELGRUM: HIGH BRANDISHER OF THE BIRD ABLAZE! holy-cake-eating-dinosaur! what a monster! phelgrum was an expert wielder-demon; creatures that are capable of weaponising anything they come in contact with. phelgrum managed to trick a phoenix with a cunning trap involving birdseed and an untracable cellphone call. now that fiery falcon resides in a horrible cage-club that is wielded by that horrific demon phelgrum! yikes how scary!

more coloring coming soon! lets rock this polycount!

-jouste the drawbarian

domwar_rough_03.jpg
  • lampekap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh god jouste, thats awesome. a caged bird as weapon is just as awesome as a couldron gone mad.
  • kaktuzlime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Ulric: Thank you for the love! =D
    @ KoryFace: Looking Great! Love all those reflected lights =)
    @ Jouste: Thanks man! I like your sketch alot!

More Wipppppp......
    Shadow26.jpg
  • Sirdelita
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sirdelita polycounter lvl 10
    JOUSTE IS IN DA HOUSEEEEEE!!!!!
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    Been busy for a while, also recovering from a stomach virus (never fun). gotta love the holidays. Anways, shazzam! More progress.

DominanceWar_progress12.jpg

edit: God damn jouste... I freaking love your work.
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    annnd i need sleep. double post, suck my weiner.

DominanceWar_progress13.jpg
  • kaktuzlime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jouste: I totally like your lines! I´m having huge problems with creating good lineart digitally, and I was wondering if you have any tips, techniques or advice =) Thank you and I look forward to seeing your next step!

Heya again! =) Well, I think this is as far as I´ll take this character before combining the two in my composition. I would appreciate any critique =)

Shadow32.jpg
  • Rayph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rayph polycounter lvl 13
    kaktuzlime- Thats lookin pretty solid so far. One thing I might suggest is going in and adding some metal wear and tear and possibly shift some of the tonal ranges around to create a bit more contrast.

Here is my latest update, finally got some groundwork in for my final composition

domwarfinalthumbs.jpg

domwarfinal1.jpg
  • Ulrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    suburbbum, kaktuzlime and Rayph your works are amazing !

There's my WIP for this saturday night:

DW_MMO_AC_Ulrick_08.jpg

DW_MMO_AC_Ulrick_09.jpg
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great stuff Rayph and Ulrick!

God damn it, hard to find time to work on art with school and all this family stuff going on right now. May have to migrate my concept piece to pimping and previews if i don't finish in time :P.
  • koryface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everyone is looking great! Rayph... wow. Awesome.

Thought I'd dump my latest progress:

predomwar_wip7.jpg

predomwar_wip8.jpg
  • Ulrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    koryface wow ! One of my favorite for this challenge :)
    (I just saw your Cintiq topic on your blog... I bought mine yesterday... F*** :p )
  • Ulrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunday morning... what's best than work on your computer ! ahem.

DW_MMO_AC_Ulrick_10.jpg
  • kaktuzlime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Rayph: Thank you very much man! I will totally take your suggestions into consideration. I´ve had some problems with too high contrast in the past, and I think that may have made me a little bit too timid with it maybe. I´m trying not to be too busy with my design there, so more wear and tear might fuck things up, I dunno. I´ll try it out! Thank you a million times for your time and suggestions :)

Wip of Character 2!
    JHelgesonWarGeneral20.jpg
  • Ulrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eheh ! Like the pose, better than the other... more "natural" :)
    And great Light / Radiosity effects ! Go On !

(The... head (?) at his feet is quite confusing, don't really understand what it is)
  • Ulrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And then, mine: On the rocks !

DW_MMO_AC_Ulrick_11.jpg
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    man, this thread is intimidating.

jouste: whatever, you're insane.
    kaktuzlime: all my lovin' for your style. very cool. I can't wait to see the final composition.
    koryface: it's incredible what you're able to do with so few colors and it still looks awesome. Loving that guys boots.
    Rayph: Your composition and line work looks really good. Do you have any suggestions about creating good composition? Most of the work I do usually puts all of the action in the middle-ground rather than mixing up the foreground and background.

keep it up everyone! ONE WEEK REMAINS!
  • Elyaradine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elyaradine polycounter lvl 11
    @kaktuzlime: Looove the second dude's style! :D

@koryface: That is so damn hot. Bottom character's legs seem a bit awkward, but I'm a noob.
  • Ulrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stop there for this day ! How motivating is this thread :)

DW_MMO_AC_Ulrick_12.jpg
  • Rayph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rayph polycounter lvl 13
    Looking great everyone!

Koryface- That is some delicious hotsauce right there my friend, keep it up very inspirational stuff!

Ulrick- Looking really fun, love the green very polycount-ish. One suggestion I might have is push a little more complimentary color in there somewhere to add some visual interest.

kaktuzlime- Fantastic character, love where that is heading!

And finally a WIP of my final piece. The painting is a train wreck at the moment but i'll get it under control.

final2.jpg
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    PSHHHH!!! PEWWWW BRRRRRRRRRRRUMMMPMBBBBB ZTZZTZZZ!!! KABOOOOOOM!DominanceWar_progress14.jpg
  • Ulrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rayph wrote: »
    Ulrick- Looking really fun, love the green very polycount-ish. One suggestion I might have is push a little more complimentary color in there somewhere to add some visual interest.

Yup ! Colors are just "base ideas" at this time, i'll work it at the end :)
    Thanks !
  • Nespouik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Huu, really cool stuff here *__*

So, some news (but very, very WIP news poly120.gif)

I have to work on colors, contrast, characters.... @__@ I think that I will not sleep much this week!!

DWV_WIP3.jpg
  • gineticz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    grrr....so behind wiv this piece ><
    well...refined my war general abit more and decided to replace my main baby with a chick instead....going to try out having the other babies emergin or shooting out frm the mouth located on the girl's back?? what do you guys think? amourredone4babiedefinin.jpg
  • Ryha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have been a bit busy lately with work, family and whatnot, but i finally got a new tonal done and then i can start working on rendering.
    dominance_war_tonal02_by_killishandra-d33vooe.jpg
    >.>; note, you guys are all awesome, I have learned a huge amount from this contest even if my work sucks.
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    Messing around with color and background stuff. There's a lot of little detail that I need to clean up. It feels kind of scattered right now. Any thoughts?

DominanceWar_progress15.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I would get rid of the "sphere" bubble effect, I feel it pulls the viewer off the edge of the image, at least the semi circle on the top guy's hit

example pic.

1ZMHM.png