Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Pre-Dom War V - Concept Art

Replies

• crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Contest16.jpg

Polycount Belt Buckle, available in a post apocalyptic future near you.
    Price: 5 radioactive flamer bladders.

To do: WEAPONS!

@Kory lookin' ace man. Think there's too many blacks though, was more of a fan of the tonal range of your last one. Super cool weapon and armor design.
  • Rayph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rayph polycounter lvl 13
    Koryface- Hot damn that came out nice, good work!

Another update...you can now somewhat manage to distinquish there are in fact 2 characters here hahaha

domwarfinal6.jpg
  • Carl Brannstrom
    Supoer rad stuff in here!!
  • kaktuzlime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaktuzlime polycounter lvl 14
    Looking good people!

@Nespoutik - Thank you! I like your palette and values =)

@Crazyfingers - Thanks for the suggestion mate! =D Yeah, I think you´ve got a valid point. A little touchup in that area would be neat. I´ve been maybe a little bit too careful with the definition of the BG overall.

@Kroyface - Looks neat! In my opinion, I think there´s too much black in the image right now, and I think the image would benefit from making the valuejumps a little bit less dramatic. Furthermore, I think that the colour of the girl´s skin looks a little too orange and the temperatures on her are very equal all over. I think you could create better focus on her by controlling the saturation more to the points of interest, like her boobs ;P Finally, looking at the hammer of the dude, the head and the bottom part look as if they have been made with two different perspectives. I think it´s confusing, and even if it´s a conscious design decision you might want to reconsider it. One of the stronger entries overall though, in my opinion =D

@Rayph- I think your technique is wonderful, and I can appreciate your design! I´m afraid you might have made yourself a big disservice by obscuring quite a lot of the second character. I would personally find it difficult to model a character out of solely the information you´re providing in your image. Maybe you could widen the image a little bit and separate the two characters a bit more, and show some more of the second dude. I think that could help =) As I said, wonderful rendition (even if it´s not yet finished)!

I look forward to seeing everybodys finals on the 15th
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ugh...
    Contest17.jpg
    Like to think I'm almost there, but lots more to do...
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    keep going crazyfingers, you're making considerable progress.

kaktuzlime: love the progress shots and final together. really wraps it up for a nice presentation.
    Rayph: I'd have to second kaktuzlime's critique. Your second character sort of gets lost in the fray. I also think that the substantial amount of grain you've added really clouds up some of that detail. Your detail is great and I love the lighting but I'd hate to see this suffer because of minor complications.
    koryface: keep it up. It seems a bit too saturated in bits, but I love what you've done with it.

One more week people. I know most of us are pretty much done, but this gives others a chance to catch up :) Gotta love this green and black talent.
  • lampekap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @crazyfingers its difficult to see the depht, between his huge hands and his torso. i can hardly make out what's part of what. some more contrast would help alot , i suppose.

i also feel like the brush detail is a bit overwhelming. looking at the picture, i automaticly leave my eyes to rest at the simple and lightly detailed green jacket, of the guy in front. I suppose putting this same technique on some of the other major parts, so the eyes of the viewers can rest on the key of the composition.

on a side note: im not an artist, so idk if i jsut made a horrible suggestion :/
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits lampekap, so burned out i don't even know what to work on the past couple days. I did my best to imply more depth with some fog effects as well as some rim lighting. I also really scaled back the strokes.
    Contest18.jpg

Crits and suggestions always appreciated. Ain't doin' sh*t for the rest of the day though, totally burned out.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Contest22.jpg

Started adding rock structures in the background, decided to make 'em pillars, then decided to make the pillars part of a gate. then i put fire behind the gate, and i have this burn victim NPC staring me in the face and i think, why don't i just set this guy on fire and actually give his burns an actual purpose?

So a very random approach I'm taking to this thing, but when you get down to it, in most mmo's the setting and things going on in most areas are a strange hodge podge as well.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    the issue im seeing with a few of these works is that not enough is being done to help the 'audience' differentiate between the characters and the background. sometime's its a bit of a strain to find the character and know whats what. i would suggest selection the characters and brightening them up a bit (or darkening them down a bit).

here are the pple this is directed to: crazyfingers, Rayph, suburbbum.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Nespouik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New up! I have to make all the background now^^

DWV_WIP12.jpg
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update before i head off. Last day of school ever Woo HOOooooooo! Bringing my wacom so i may post updates later today.

Contest24.jpg

I'm finally more or less happy with the composition of everything, colors, values, etc. Obviously lots of cleanup to do but a few more days and i think this sucker could be done. I really think if i can nail the foreground weapons in a big way this could be a contender. Crits/ suggestions appreciated as this is probably the last time i can take them!

Update for the day:
    Contest18.jpg
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    WTF, Jeff. You can paint??? Where was this when we were doing Unearthly? =P Its coming out awesome!
  • kaktuzlime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaktuzlime polycounter lvl 14
    Well, since we were given an extra week, I decided to take today end render out the background a little bit more, and do some small tweaks. Hope this looks better to ya´ll =)
    PreDWVJHelgeson.jpg
  • Ulrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello ! Nice works all :)

Almost Final WIP, Still some corrections and color works...

DW_MMO_AC_Ulrick_13.jpg
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    @crazyfingers: yea, thats way better. im really lovin ur work.
  • [N]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [N]
    @ Ulrick : Kick-ass work ! Love the design of your girl !
    Ju ( HEAJ inside )
  • Polkabrains
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow! I'm seeing some steep improvements here. Nice! :)

Haven't had much time to work on this lately, but I managed to make a little update anyway.

Finished up the characters and worked on the BG but I don't feel like it's quite done yet. I could do with some feedback on this, please tell me what you guys think.
    wtOzn.jpg
  • WillMac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hiya, nice updates. Here are my latest WIPs...

dominancewarwip.jpg

The Techno Mage
    thetechnomage.jpg

The Shadow
    theshadow.jpg
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    Polka: Right now you could really spice up that background with some lighting contrast. It looks like you've got a bit of a sunset going on there but it's not really doing anything to help your scene. Really try and flush that out with some lighter browns, oranges, and a bit of yellow. Then, carry that through with the rocks and add a bit more colored lighting with the characters. Right now there seem to be two different light sources, the sunset and something else. Try and identify both sources logically. Right now it seems as though they're staking out on some hilltop. Maybe make the second light source a lantern or some sort of portable light.

You could do a lot with rim lighting in this scene too. It looks like you're staying away from extreme light and dark values to make it more balanced, but don't be afraid to push that a little bit in areas you want to draw attention to.

As for the smoke, try experimenting with some desaturated blues, greens and purples. I hope this helps at all.
  • Polkabrains
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tips!

A lot needs to be done, just hope I get to finish it in time. :(
  • gineticz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blehhh...seeing all yu guy's art mkes me depressed >< dey're all so nice =D
    quick update on ma piece....since i decided to redo bits n bobs xD

amourredone10flames22nearfinal50.jpg
  • minisiegfried
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Creating the line art...

technomage_and_corrupted10_lineart04.png
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    Submitted my entry this morning. Best of luck to everyone :)
  • Polkabrains
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Followed up some of the advise. Pulled the characters more to the foreground. And also added another lightsource. I loved the lantern idea, but at first I wasn't sure how to place it. So I actually tried adding another sun......which look hiddeous.

So in the end I gave the war general A hand lantern.

Tell me what you think, we still have some time left :)

8keCn.jpg
  • Ulrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello !

The final one, enjoyed to make this challenge with u !

PDWV_UlrickWery_FinalConcept.jpg
  • WillMac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work Ulrich, the technomage you did is fantastic.

I like so many of these entries for different reasons, I am not going to pick and choose between them... :)

Polkabrains - I love the character style and think all it needs is a contrast between the fore and backgrounds. I am not the best at crit though.

I have a quick question as I am making my final.. does it have to be 1000 x 1000?
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    that's the maximum resolution. You can make it anywhere within that resolution if you have varying height and width for your image.
  • WillMac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks man, good luck with your entry :thumbup:
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK wrote: »
    WTF, Jeff. You can paint??? Where was this when we were doing Unearthly? =P Its coming out awesome!

Erich, I did our concepts :P. Just didn't have time to make 'em look great, but glad you're liking this one.

Update!

Contest27.jpg

I know the weapons are pretty lame (just a simple katana) but i didn't want them covering up much of the foreground as i felt it was pretty important that the flamer's legs read well. I'll probably take out his left weapon and replace it with a flag of some kind like in the original concept to jazz it up a bit. Feel like I'm almost done, but I've learned to sleep on these kinds of decisions since you can only submit once!
  • Papa_Austin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Papa_Austin polycounter lvl 10
    Erich, I did our concepts :P. Just didn't have time to make 'em look great, but glad you're liking this one.

this cracks me up lol
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Loren Meyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank god for the deadline extension!

A few WIPs.

I've got to tighten up the characters and I'm adding some more elements to the BG.

predomvroughlayout-1.jpgPREDOMVBWFINAL.jpgpredom-color.jpg
  • Polkabrains
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm gonna call it done. This is the final. If you still have any feedback to give me, please do. Always looking to improve myself.

I quickly compiled the images I posted here, because of I don't know why.

1nB6M.jpg

And here is the final one. Messed with the contrast a bit. A few touch ups here and there. Hope you like it!! :D

EJTjW.jpg
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The end is nigh, been fun everyone.

Here's my last update, i'm happy with it. If anyone has some last minute suggestions I'm all ears but i'll probably be submitting in a few hours or so.

Contest30.jpg

Also wanted to say i'm probably going to go ahead and give the rights to the painting for a little compilation deal should the need arise. Fred and GA's been through a lot and obviously none of this would be happening without their work, figure it's the least I can do to give something back to these competitions that have created some really good portfolio pieces for me. As always the show could have been run a lot better though :P.

To everyone still pounding away... HURRY UP. GOOD LUCK!
  • WillMac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turned out great Crazy FIngers... I like the final choice of colour and finish.

This was mine, quite pleased. THanks for inputs and general seeing people hustling is always infectious...

dw_2dconceptfinal_willmaccabe2.jpg

Good luck all.
  • gineticz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gineticzDWVfinalentry.jpg

just submitted final piece.....had so much fun with you guys =]
  • Nespouik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ulrick : Excellent :D

So, I finally finish it ^^

DWMMOAC-2D-polycount_2d-DWMMOAC-180-img_0_b631dbc22.jpg
  • minisiegfried
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another WIP, just started with colours. (Yes, I'm still trying to finish it in time.)

technomage_and_corrupted10_lineart08.png
  • minisiegfried
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ommmmmmmmmmm...

technomage_and_corrupted10_colour00.png
  • minisiegfried
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ommmmmm-morrrrre cooooolourssss...

technomage_and_corrupted10_colour03.png
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha, good progress there man, TIMES TICKING!
    TICK
    TOCK
  • minisiegfried
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heh. Just submitted that.
    Arrrr, stupid habit to do aaaaaaaallllll in the last moment. Hate it...

technomage_and_corrupted10_colour06_t.jpg
  • Loren Meyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here it is...
    Would have liked another day, but oh well.predomfinal.jpg

Great job from all of my polycounter comrades! You guys rock!
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know we've never been too concept heavy in these parts but i think pound for pound we're gonna put up a good fight. Really loved your clean style Loren, especially the black and white version, has an old school pencil feel to it you just don't see often in these tournaments. Anyway, imma shut up cuz i probably post too much haha. Again great work everyone! And grats to everyone getting this crap in on time, not always easy.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well shiiit, no one's posting ANYTHING!? grats to the winners, good stuffs all around. The Grim Goulash is still my favorite character design of all time though.

To the winners: revel in it

to everyone else: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E30XxSYgmqo&amp;feature=related[/ame]
  • WillMac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KORYFACE! :thumbup:

I also dug Jouste and Suburbum mostly.

Personally, I feel a lot of the concepts from other forums are for 6k to 10k normal mapped models. When the MMO RPG runs at 1 FPS, who cares. It might just be me though, mostly. Anyways, was fun.

HERE IS THE TUNE US LOSERS NEED! The king of loser tunes.. :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgSPaXgAdzE&quot;]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgSPaXgAdzE[/ame]

Edit: The more artists enter the more people get through on the team, seems stacked and pointless, should be just the top 5 from each. :P
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    lol thanks willmac.

I'm pretty pumped about this actually. I thought jouste was going to whoop me haha. ( I like his better anyway. )
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha @ willmac. Love me some beck and i'm listening to the hell out of this. CUT IT

suberbbum you had an awesome entery, it was fun as hell watching all of these develope. As always fun to compete.