Home General Discussion

The Walking Dead

Replies

• Schultzie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Schultzie polycounter lvl 13
    That was pretty lame for a season finale.
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    Yeah, I wouldn't be disappointed except for we were led to believe it would be this epic battle between both sides...and we didn't really get that. I like how the Gov is just flat out uber evil now, as I've enjoyed his character a lot more in recent episodes so I'm cool with him surviving. But still, a bit disappointing.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8

Incredibly anticlimactic.

Here's the problem I can see:
    They had way too many filler episodes working up to the finale, when the finale could have had two episodes to itself! The battle was pathetic. No build up to any sort of strategy on the defenders side other than "hide and then shoot them." Andrea had a pretty weak death also; she had both hands free to kill Milton, and she's gotten out of way tighter situations before.

I did like that the governor went crazy and killed his guys because I found that pretty shocking. What pissed me off is none of his cronies shot back...

Also, slightly confused about why they took the town and went back to the prison. Isn't the town safer and more fortified?

Anywho, imagine watching all of season 3 back to back, and then this was the finale. Lame. Whole episode felt rushed and forced.

EDIT: Oh I get it. The season finale of The Walking Dead was just AMC trying to pull an April Fools joke. Hahaha, good one guys, a day early but you sure got me, especially at that "final battle" scene. What a hoot and a holler that was!

Can't wait for the actual season finale next Sunday.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I was almost positive they were going to end up wasting half the episode with a wedding and getting people rilled up at Woodbury so I was pleased. A little surprised they
    just left the governor when they did
    but didn't really have a problem with the ending. The comic is just so damn bleak ALL THE TIME that it was nice to at least have a moment where I didn't want to kill myself.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    Selaznog wrote: »
    Andrea had a pretty weak death also; she had both hands free to kill Milton, and she's gotten out of way tighter situations before.

You read my mind, but I hate her so I am happy she is dead regardless. :P
    ...but for the amount of times he got stabbed, you would think he would have died pretty quickly : /

Also, slightly confused about why they took the town and went back to the prison. Isn't the town safer and more fortified?

Could be out of fear the Gov returns, and the prison to them is more familiar. They should of raided the supplies from the town though, not sure if they showed any when they pulled back into the prison.

PREDICTIONS / HOPES:
    -They turn over the prison to the town survivors, after they kill the Gov. Then move onto something bigger and better.
    -Carl gets killed.
    -Morgan appears in at least one episode again, at which point every other episode is considered a failure.
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So after letting the finale sink in a bit, the thing I'm most worried about now is all the people they have with them at the prison. That was one of the problems with this season was too many things going on at once, and now there's even more people!

I just really am beginning to wonder what the hell they are doing. Are we going to have an entire other season of Prison peeps vs the Governor? Or is he going to be a bad guy of the week now, since he only has his 2 goons with him?
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    Next season they will fight the Gov and his new town, Steelbury, since Woodbury was easily breakable.

It's almost as if they wrote this episode early on when they weren't sure they would get a 4th season so they ended on a neutral note. Not necessarily a save the day type of ending, but a things could be just alright kind of ending. I'm kind of lost as to where they are going with this series.
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah the only sure thing is that the gap between Rick and Carl will grow. They may end up on opposite sides. Since Carl will be the bad guy I hope Rick will gun him dooown!

For season finale pretty calm episode. Also taking the people to the prison seems like a bad idea but from what I understand thats some kind of redemption for Rick. He goes back to being righteous man.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Next season they will fight the Gov and his new town, Steelbury, since Woodbury was easily breakable.

This sentence alone was more enjoyable than that episode :(
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    wait, Andreas watches GoT?
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    wait, Andreas watches GoT?

Uh, naturally? Posts of mine in this thread go back several pages. Almost finished reading 'A Dance with Dragons' too. It's been a bit up and down, but ok overall. :) I don't think the books have been as strong since the first one though.

This finale was ok. Bit sad that there were no memorable moments in this season apart from Laurie and the last episode. I really hope I can break my dwindling interest in this show and not bother tuning in this season; it's consistently disappointing.

Good to see Andrea go, but I wish they had left the prison and killed the Governor. He's probably going to turn into some arch-nemesis now. I do dig his Steyr though.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    Kwramm wrote: »
    This sentence alone was more enjoyable than that episode :(

for me the walking dead surpassed how i met your mother on the comedic scale, sometime around the middle of this season.

thought it was hillarious they didnt show a single person die in the prison raid, and then said "it was a slaughter"
    im kinda glad andrea died but i won´t watch the next season anyways
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just surprised that you're a fan by how you take every opportunity to jump down Haz's throat for his depiction of women. My gf and I watched the first episode and were totally turned off by the way they treat women on the show. Makes me glad HBO isn't doing Walking Dead, I don't think I could have handled the "rape episode"
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just surprised that you're a fan by how you take every opportunity to jump down Haz's throat for his depiction of women. My gf and I watched the first episode and were totally turned off by the way they treat women on the show.

Well actually I don't, I would just like to see his talents used for less tacky things, but he's not interested in other peoples opinions unless they coincide with his own. :thumbup: Not that I need to say this, but please don't troll in other threads, keep it all in one. :thumbup:

Having said that, GoT (or rather George R.R. Martin) has some major issues with women. Like major issues. Lots of rapes in the books, etc. Daddy issues too, from the looks of things. The way he so sympathetically writes Tyrion, I think he basically is G.R.R. Martin. Replace fat white guy with dwarf.

The show sometimes takes this and makes it even tackier and more gross; the wiping of the come off the prostitutes face comes to mind; as does the scene with the girly threesome. I don't mind nudity at all, but the dialogue spoken by Littlefinger in that scene was actually originally from Caitlin Tully, some wrinkly old bag, who unless my memory fails me was on top of a rain-swept hill at the time. But they thought (perhaps rightfully, unfortunately) that audiences would be bored by this so they stuck three chicks fingering each other in there. So so so so tacky. Better to have cut it altogether.

I take it you and your girlfriend don't watch Mad Men then? I know the dialogue in that is supposed to be tongue-in-cheek humorous, but I just don't find it funny. Add to that that the premise is a little dry for me and it's just not a show I can watch. I know lots of girls who enjoy it though, strangely.

I enjoy Game of Thrones because it has great characters, and some nice fantasy elements thrown in for good measure. I love the T.V. show cause it's so well done. I'm not actually allergic to the sight of a pair of breasts, all I ask is that there is a reason for it. :)

But again, let's keep this thread about Game of Thrones.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nope, we don't watch Mad Man - just had to point out that you're a hypocrite. Supporting game of thrones despite it's treatment of women because you like the story pretty much invalidates every rant you've posted on these boards. So please refrain from being so high and mighty if you're so willing to compromise your core beliefs for a "well done story".

Sorry for derailing a thread to discuss sexism, I know that's pretty much your official job here on Polycount.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .............................wow
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .............................wow

sorry man, I was just floored by that fact. Andreas, you should measure yourself by your own standards. As you are fond of saying: "be humble"
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    Andreas wrote: »
    But again, let's keep this thread about Game of Thrones.

In the Walking Dead thread?

train.jpg
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not a hypocrite. Had you read my post, I stated I also have an issue with some of the content in GoT. In fact, we have discussed this topic in the GoT thread if you go back far enough, where I express that very opinion. So no, not a hypocrite. But I guess you were just too floored to read my post.

Again, please stop derailing Justin.
    In the Walking Dead thread?

Haha sorry, it's late! :D
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So uh, yeah so how bout that Governor huh??!?!
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    That sure was a season finale. Kind of weak, though I like where Carl is going, a ruthless kid shooting first and asking questions later, creeping out his old dad.
    Andreas death is something I watched in chunks as I was too busy reading articles online (yes the episode felt that dull to me by that point :/)
    Governor losing his shit and gunning everyone down was somehow refreshing though. The big bad gunning down most of his servants because he had a tantrum is stupid but interesting. Now to watch the superior Game of Frozen Zombies.

(as for GoT's depiction of rape and how women are treated, this is based on how women were treated historically, being upset about a story attempting some level of authenticity despite fantasy elements is like being angry about people dying in war movies. Not liking it because of taste, well that's different.)
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    What the hell, what kind of season finale was that? Most of the season just spun around that damn prison, I don't even see the pros of living there if they're under the constant threat of the Governor... Stupid show is stupid. They seriously need to step up next season.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    This is why Polycount can't have nice things :(

Anyways I don't think it was a bad episode, that could have worked for last episode but as a finale? I'm not sure. Not too bad though IMO.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    That would have been an ok episode, but it was absolutely lame for a season finale. I'm going to guess that they'll play out the prison scene longer to work in elements from the comic, maybe giving Tyreese some gym-time and the Gov play the bad guy a bit longer before hopefully following the comic in his regard. Still, I don't think anything interesting will come from the first few episodes of the next season. They'll have a whole bunch of new characters at their disposal but most should either be too young, too old, or to ill to help fill out any of the more interesting things that happened with the prisoners.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    That could have easily been two episodes, they could have cut out a lot of the unnecessary fat from the season and shown a lot more. Not showing what happens to Andrea with zombie Milton, the lone survivor convincing Rick to save the citizens, Rick's group convincing the leftover Woodbury folks to come join them at the prison and telling of the Governor's betrayal of the people, what the Governor decided to do after the massacre, are just a few parts leaving huge gaps in the show that made it feel rushed.

I keep hoping they will come to their senses and either stick to the source material a bit more, or at least get some quality writers. This show keeps falling short when it really shouldn't be.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Here is something that will blow your mind.

If they all are already infected... Wouldn't that mean biting or scratching yourself would cause the change?

Also RIP Andrea. One of my fav characters. She didn't ever get enough credit.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was also thinking that. Everyone is infected, right? But, you have to die to come back? So, what was the big deal with Andrea's wound? Hardly life threatening? Same with Hurshel's leg.

They shouldn't have introduced that 'everyone is infected' nonsense. It messed everything up.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    everyone IS infected, if you die you come back.

in neither the comic nor the series did they state that there's any kind of virus or contagion transmitted via bites which would cause outright death.

what IS stated though, is that the dead have so much bacteria that a bite would cause a rapid septic infection which kills shortly afterward, think of it the same way as being bitten by something like a komodo dragon.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't remember the names of they used for the inmates at the beginning of the season, but I wonder if they're going to use the new Woodbury folks to work in the Dexter storyline? Since they've got a bunch of new victims and all.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    everyone IS infected, if you die you come back.

in neither the comic nor the series did they state that there's any kind of virus or contagion transmitted via bites which would cause outright death.

what IS stated though, is that the dead have so much bacteria that a bite would cause a rapid septic infection which kills shortly afterward, think of it the same way as being bitten by something like a komodo dragon.

Oh ok. They could do with expressing that on the show. Those few episodes in the medical base might have been the best time. :P
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    So something I learned today was that the actor who plays Tyreese voices Coach from Left 4 Dead haha. Also this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDL0N4842MU"]Blackpool - David Morrissey "You Can Get it if you . . ." - YouTube[/ame]
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow now that's acting right there!
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    haha, dat dance!
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Does the governor's darkness and evil know no bounds!? The most despicable thing he's ever done, sick underground Woodbury darkness dances. Haha.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't remember the names of they used for the inmates at the beginning of the season, but I wonder if they're going to use the new Woodbury folks to work in the Dexter storyline? Since they've got a bunch of new victims and all.

Duuuuuude. If they introduced Dexter...holy crap that would be awesome.

Actually, they should just scrap all the current characters and switch the show over to Miami, where Dexter is at his house, void of any human emotion, holding his knife. To fulfill his fantasies he goes out and slaughters zombies, his dark passenger taking full control...Antagonist could be his need for actual humans to kill, not zombies, so whenever he discovers survivors he has to fight his dark passenger in order not to kill them.

Or what if, Walter White and Jesse Pinkman were in the meth lab from season 4 when the outbreak happened. They leave after a hard days work, only to find...ALL THE MEXICAN WORKERS ARE NOW MEXICAN ZOMBIES HOLY SHIT.

They fight their way through the masses. Jesse leaves for his family to see if they are okay, same as Walter. Everyone is zombies. Walter and Pinkman must now find eachother as the last survivors.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :poly142:

I always hate how none of these movies/shows ever have an actual celebrity (as themselves) survivor, outside of the god-awful Postman with the Tom Petty cameo and Bill Murray in Zombieland of course. I think fictional characters would be a bit less effective since you don't know how many people are aware of them. Would it be worth the effort to have Chad Coleman show up as Cutty from the Wire instead of as Tyreese for example? Having never seen the Wire that would have been totally wasted on me.
    I guess with BB ending after this upcoming last half-season they could bring Walter over, and then rename the show The Walking Bad (though maybe for some people they could just call it that now), or Breaking Dead?
    Oh! Oh! Zombie Gustavo!

I suppose either way it'd only actually be cool for an episode or two though until the novelty wears off.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    The book World War Z does a great job of telling what happens to celebrities during the zombie apocalypse. :D
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Does the governor's darkness and evil know no bounds!? The most despicable thing he's ever done, sick underground Woodbury darkness dances. Haha.

Why did Rick have to destroy this! Also another fun fact Glenn plays North Korean soldier in Crysis 1 and Crysis Warhead lol.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Duuuuuude. If they introduced Dexter...holy crap that would be awesome.

+1
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    OMG that has so many things that I love in one video! I LOVE KAREN GILLAN!

But seriously the season finale was shite. It was really really bad. -____- all of that buildup for nothing.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    I hope that was an April fools episode.
    Now they got a shit ton of people, I'm a bit confused they never showed Lori Grimes as a zombie or her body after she died. I am really waiting for something to happen with that, unless I miss understood every episode at the start of her death all they showed was a bloody stain when her husband comes into the room.
    ^ I know I just went all the way back their but I was like wtf happen I wanted to see her dead body!

I don't think the kid shot her just my idea anyway if I call it awesome!

Anyway can't wait for more either way.
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    When Rick went there after, he stabbed zombie in his belly. Lori was inside.
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    D4V1DC Um....i think you missed a HUGE moment after she died and carl goes outside. Remember when rick goes back into that room...and what he found? He found a zombie who was full from eating her
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That scene bugged me because the zombies in the show don't eat dead meat. Like it would have taken a couple bites sure, but she was dead after Carl shot her in the head. If zombies ate dead flesh, wouldn't there be a bunch of fatties walking around eating each other?
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The don't eat Zombie meat, the eat dead people all the time. All the people the governor shot in the head were being eaten by the zombies he didn't shoot in the head during the finale. And while a lot of the bodies they've shown being eaten may have been alive when the eating started, they more than likely died before the zombies finished eating.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgyOiHuMmas"]"The Walking Dead" Invades CONAN Atlanta - CONAN on TBS - YouTube[/ame]
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha awesome!!
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So this is a bit random, but myself and a few co-workers have been watching the show together and I noticed a mistake that the armorer made early on in season 3 where he forgot to put the rear sights on a rifle, and then the character with the rifle makes a ~80 yard kill shot with no sights.

I argued that this was very unlikely, my co-worker Joel insisted he could "easily" do it, so we decided to turn it into a myth-busting event and try to make the "no-sight" shot ourselves:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l89CExA-G90"]"The Walking Dead" Missing Rear Sight Myth-buster Special - YouTube[/ame]
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Very much enjoyed that, 3DLee! Sounds like a fun experiment. Looks like yall weren't too far off for "civilians".