Home General Discussion

The Walking Dead

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The "He'll be hungry again in 30 minutes" was an racial insult to Glenn being asian.
    Wow I totally missed that, what a cock-monger...

I really hope Glen gets to shoot Meryl.

On a side note they skipped over one of my favorite story arc's that dealt with what happens to zombies in the winter time. I really want to see them explore that possibility instead of just always being grungy and sweaty.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    prediction:

Merle has been convinced by the Governor to make it look like he's guilty, and escape/rescue Daryl, and then be the inside man at the prison..

I think the Governor is done with Merle because he lied about killing Michonne. Remember he came back alone and said she was dead. Then Michonne took his eye and killed his daughter. I doubt the Governor would work with Merle after that.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    On a side note they skipped over one of my favorite story arc's that dealt with what happens to zombies in the winter time. I really want to see them explore that possibility instead of just always being grungy and sweaty.

Yeah, I thought that was a key part, that they chose to skip. I'm sure they'll touch on it later though, since they have plenty of time. It'll just seem odd to me, if they start pointing out how zombies are in the winter, when they've obviously already experienced it (between TV seasons).
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    So, I've not read the graphic novels (not even sure this story arc happens in the books) but apparently, the fact that Carol is alive, there is no real remains of Lorie to be found, and that long, cryptic shot of a knife that was near Carol, means that Carol actually interacted with Lorie, who was never shot by Carl, either as a zombie, or, Lorie has actually been saved by Carol. She was able to use the practice she took on that zombie corpse to save her in the prison infirmary.

If this does happen in the books, tell me quick and I'll pop it in spoiler tags.
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    But when she meets with Rick they have this silent moment when Carol realizes Lorie is dead...and why would she hide that she saved Lori ? And some one wrote that in Talking Dead they confirmed it was Lorie in zombies belly.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Andreas: nope

lots of things are different between the comic and the show - Carol might as well be a completely different character.
    In the comic she fell in love with Tyrese, later she sees Tyrese having sex with Michonne, she sort of loses it and eventually commits suicice via walker
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Go play Telltale's Walking Dead game. DOOOOO ITTTT

Interesting conversation I was having with my wife:

In Zombieland, blood sucking insects still exist and still need to feed right? So theoretically, couldn't you be turned into a zombie by bug bites of insects that have previously fed on infected flesh (think mosquitoes, fleas, ticks, etc)? I mean, the black plague spread the same way, and if all that is needed to extract the deadly zombie virus is exchange of fluids then it could be possible... ya know, if zombies were real.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a good theory, except they are all already infected, which has been mentioned several times on the show. It just requires a trigger agent, like dying, or getting bit too much. The producers suggested that the zombie bites trigger the virus to accelerate, so if you get too much, then the virus wins. I don't think you can get enough mosquito bites to trigger the virus.

Now, the origin of the virus, and why everyone ended up already infected, I could definitely see coming from insects. Especially considering almost EVERYONE is usually bitten by a bug at some point every year. Though, I suspect, if they ever provide an answer to the origin, it will be a government experiment that got into the air, or water supply.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    afaik most blood sucking insects prefer blood from living hosts - mosquitos, for instance, track down their prey by the C02 they exhale, the zombies don't breathe and are probably spewing off all sorts of foul decay gasses like methane and hydrogen sulfide.

My guess about the lethality of a zombie bite: if a Komodo dragon's mouth is so foul and full of bacteria that a bite can kill you from infection, imagine what sort of horrible things are in a zombie bite.
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    notman wrote: »
    It's a good theory, except they are all already infected, which has been mentioned several times on the show.

Yeah, I meant to mention that aspect of my theory. I think in the right place (swamp, or a flea-ridden barn or something), bug bites could be a real issue!
    Now, the origin of the virus, and why everyone ended up already infected, I could definitely see coming from insects. Especially considering almost EVERYONE is usually bitten by a bug at some point every year. Though, I suspect, if they ever provide an answer to the origin, it will be a government experiment that got into the air, or water supply.

That would help explain the widespread nature of the disease! Justin makes a good point of mosquitoes tracking "prey" by CO2 so walking corpses wouldn't be too appetizing. After thinking about that, I also imagine that dead blood (which starts to clot) would be hard to extract for a blood-sucker... hmmm.

I need this show back, lol.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    Has there been any zombie animals in this show yet? I remember seeing at least one deer and the odd small critter that they kill for food. But do not recall any zombie wildlife.

If human's can get infected why not animals, therefore where are all the animals that died from natural causes that in theory should become zombies? I WANT TO SEE ZOMBIE BEARS! (or whatever bad-ass species lives in that area)
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe their brains aren't developed enough, or this is a virus that only works with humans. I wouldn't mind seeing some zombie dogs too.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18

Or why complicate it, some of the easiest way of spreading viruses are by aerosol, just imagine the common cold being a zombie-virus, a sudden mutation with symptoms delayed until death should be enough to make it spread before people could contain it.

As for the dormancy, just look at the herpes simplex virus for which there is no cure, a majority of you are probably infected by that but have never experienced the symptoms. In my own head the sudden zombification comes from the heavy infection brought on by the filthy bite of a zombie.

Maybe their brains aren't developed enough, or this is a virus that only works with humans. I wouldn't mind seeing some zombie dogs too.

That doesn't have much to do with it, it's all up to what the virus is able to do, and as seen with rabies it can happen if the virus is able to.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uuuh im getting so excited for the continuation of the season,

counting down the date it should start back up on feb 10th, giving us another 8 eposides, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1520211/episodes

cant wait cant wait!
  • the_Adri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I watched the first season and I have to say I did not enjoy it. I find it overrated and extremely boring. I'm disappointed because it's the only zombie tv show on tv right now.
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the_Adri wrote: »
    I watched the first season and I have to say I did not enjoy it. I find it overrated and extremely boring. I'm disappointed because it's the only zombie tv show on tv right now.

That's a sad story...:P cest la vie. I can't understand your point of view but I respect it :poly142:
  • the_Adri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo wrote: »
    That's a sad story...:P cest la vie. I can't understand your point of view but I respect it :poly142:

I really tried to enjoy it.....I really did. I love zombies. The show kept putting me to sleep.
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    CMON FEB!! I'm so ready...my BONES are ready for more walking dead! I don't get into shows very easy, but I am obsessed with this one. Some of the best writing on television today!
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the_Adri wrote: »
    I really tried to enjoy it.....I really did. I love zombies. The show kept putting me to sleep.
    I think that's the problem. You seem to be watching the show, expecting zombie chases, and action. The show isn't about that. It's about how people adapt to a world like that.

That being said, Season 2 got even slower (until the end), so I wouldn't recommend trying to continue into that season. I would recommend checking out Season 3 though, now that you have characters established. The pace has picked up, and it's a bit more about survival.

But, I'm not here to say 'YOU MUST LIKE IT'. If it's not your thing, no biggy.
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    Oh but you have to watch season 2 to feel the impact of what's going on in season 3! Season 2 was slow....but if you watch them all back to back it is so worth it!
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    I just got up to date with the comics... The show pales in comparison! They are awesome.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bump for being 10 feb!
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that was a rather disappointing episode (for being a premiere of sorts)
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's back???? FAWK YEAH
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    agreed. that was slow as fuck. Was expecting way way more.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty bad episode. Could clearly see extras doing weird things like ushering people that weren't there.

And that Andrea speech... eugh. Some wine with that cheese?
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    yup. was just so so :(
    next episode looks interesting though
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Andreas wrote: »

This x9000.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Once again proving, any episode that includes a lot of Andrea, ends up not being that good. I really don't get what they are doing with her character. Her character does not match up properly. There is no way ANYONE would remain with the governor, after what she's witnessed, yet she continues to stay there, especially someone with her personality.

I'm still really confused about Rick's treatment of Michonne. By now, he should see her value, and started accepting that she's just a little weird/quiet. They tried setting it up, as if she should have told them about Andrea. How would she know that Andrea was part of their group? I haven't seen anything, that would suggest that she should have known yet.

Rick also became aware that he's imagining Lori, and had his wits enough, that he wouldn't have gone off like he did. It seemed like he was going to give them a chance, then suddenly flips out? I think they've gone back to the unrealistic reactions, like they had early in season 2.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Andreas wrote: »
    Pretty bad episode. Could clearly see extras doing weird things like ushering people that weren't there.

I cried so much during her speech :( She was so inspiring!

Kidding. I agree 100% haha.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm still really confused about Rick's treatment of Michonne.

So was I. TBH I've completely forgotten what has happened so far this season; mid-season breaks are a bad idea.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Rick also became aware that he's imagining Lori, and had his wits enough, that he wouldn't have gone off like he did. It seemed like he was going to give them a chance, then suddenly flips out? I think they've gone back to the unrealistic reactions, like they had early in season 2.

you could see in previous episodes that he's going to lose it some day. Rick becomes more paranoid and confrontational, and the whole thing where he was in the cell and got this call on the phone. It could have been acted / scripted better - I'm not really that happy how they're showing this but whatever. Let's hope there's some more action next time and things happening. At least I have my dose of weekly zombies back :)
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That was kinda my point. We concluded the phone thing, with him realizing he was talking to people in his head. I think he realized he was losing it, as we did. It just seems to me, like he would have suppressed his emotions, and just carried on, even though he was seeing her.

But yeah, glad to have the show back, and I hope it gets a bit more focused.
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For me it feels like another episode. Like there was no break in the middle of season... but there was. It hurt this season to cut it in half. It always does.

I still liked it though. I think Rick loosing it is really interesting. All this pressure he feels as a leader, loosing his wife and having a baby... He's got a lot on his plate. Lori in white dress... meh ;p pretty lame. Andrea as always pretty weak. Merle... trolling ? after everything he has been through he finds his brother and is ready to fight with him for their lifes... and then he trolls. Just stands there and talks shit... could be more interesting. Probably he will die soon anyway and Daryl will be back with A team.

Great the shows back. I love it even when it's slow and does silly shit.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Just wait till they get to the 'industrial age', things starts picking up:

Rick+should+do+this.+This+would+be+perfect_f81b7d_4424604.jpg

;)
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    I hope it gets a bit more focused.

With the prison people, the town people, and now the brothers that is 3 separate major story lines, not going to count the many sub-story lines within the prison and the town, they have to jam into a 40 minute episode. It'll get way more fractured before it gets focused.

Season 1 focused on the group and it was good. Once they started introducing 25 other sub-plots within the main plot, the seasons have been progressively getting worse. It's why I think you feel so much more connected to the comic book characters than you do the TV ones. The comics were way more focused, but also allowed some drift in the plots because of the format. TV shows are hard to pull that off, especially when they do the dumbass mid-season break and start back with a total flop.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm still really confused about Rick's treatment of Michonne. By now, he should see her value, and started accepting that she's just a little weird/quiet. They tried setting it up, as if she should have told them about Andrea. How would she know that Andrea was part of their group? I haven't seen anything, that would suggest that she should have known yet.

Agreed, she hasn't done anything to dismiss their trust has she? she led them to they captive friends. Sure she went on her own path once there but still met up with them after. Not like she sabotaged their stealth rescue mission by going after the Gov. or did she? i don't remember anymore it was a long time ago.

But when they were starting to itch at the idea that she never told them about Andrea and were starting to get riled up.... they just dropped it and moved on. Like wtffffff even though she should of spoke up and said something like "You guys know Andrea?!" they still didn't go anywhere with it like they did for a few things that episode i felt.

And that huge build up to the worse fight iv ever seen at the start of the episode. They started to fight then Merle says "Just go with it" then they go back to back and kind of stand there for a few seconds before fighting off everyone else.... it wasn't really a smooth move, it felt like they could have done that right off the get go instead of beating each other up a bit first.

Hopefully everyone including myself were only disappointed because we were so hyped up on the return. Let next week kick ass. (and I dont watch the previews so please spoiler tag and preview talk)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    based on the comic I'm guessing (not super spoilery):
    Rick steps down as leader or is forced to step down and is replaced by a committee made up of Hershel, Tyrese and maybe one more leader.

super comic spoilers, basically how I think this season will end:
    The Governer assaults the prison and we lose a bunch of people, if they actually include the baby getting shot I think it will be Beth holding the baby instead of Lori (since she's dead). Andrea will see this and kill the Governer, instead of some random Woodbury character like the comic - hopefully this leads to Andrea becoming more like her comicbook counterpart
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hope you're right Justin (about Andrea). I REALLY want her to be the character she is in the comics, and not this confused bimbo that she is now. It almost felt like they had Maggie taking on Andrea's role during the fight at the start (the way she was sniping people from that wall).
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    haha Merle trolling - loved the scene where Rick shut him up. Take that Merle
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    So... since the last half of this season, I have been reading the Walking Dead comics, I'm now pretty much up to date and much further on than the TV show...

This episode is the first I've watched since reading the comics, and I have to say.. The show is pretty bad, in comparison. The characters have no depth, and it just seems really cheesy. When the Governor was walking about in the zombie arena with all the smoke, with that evil look on his face, I was just laughing to myself.
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah comics seems better but still it's a great show... I think you are a bit too harsh ;p Yeah characters aren't that complex but when you have so much people it's hard to show them as a deep personalities.

I would like to dig into comics but I can't see myself spending all this cash and all this time on them. Maybe one day. At least I know they won't dissapoint if they are even better than the show.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    i honestly don´t know why the fuck i am still watching this.
    when the 3rd season started so strong i was having high hopes but since the whole village shit is going on, this show is getting more stupid with every episode.
    i can not think of one character who hasn´t done atleast one insanely stupid we-don´t-realy-know-how-to-progress-the-story-from-here shit.
    can´t wait till breaking bad is back on...
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Someone on Kotaku said it best (I know, pick your jaws up off the floor)
    Andrea is a debacle. They've just made a mess of her and Michonne, who are two of the stronger characters in the books. Andrea, in the show, is apparently the stupidest human left on the planet.

I like the show but whenever it slows down to take a breath it highlights how bad the writing can be. Characters have no discernible motivation far too often. Rather than feeling human they feel like chess pieces being moved around by the writers to setup the next plot point. Nobody ever asks a sensible question or has a reasonable response to situations far too often. Daryl? He leaves with Merle like it's no big thing? Merle who tried to kill Glenn and handed Maggie over to be sexually abused? He turns his back on the group that risked thier lives to go back for him? And Andrea? Andrea who is smitten by a guy who kept a wall of severed heads? Kept his zombie daughter secreted away? A guy who just tried to make Daryl fight to the death?

Then we have Michonne who won't open her mouth to explain the simplest thing and Rick who doesn't ask her anything about anything even after he finds out she knows Michonne. I'm trying hard to like the show as it has great moments of drama but the show is butchering these characters.

original.jpg
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    The show is definitely hit or miss, after the mid season finale we were expecting a more interesting twist or turn than Rick freaking out at imaginary Lori...
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what, no auto-aim vs humans?
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's different when your targets are shooting back ;)
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    this episode was much better than the first

the group just got a hell'va lot stronger too. It'll be interesting to see if this pulls the crazy out of Rick, and helps him to set his sights on a new goal- for awhile there, he was drifting without any direction.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Andrea better wake the **** after this, otherwise I'd completely given up afterwards.