Home General Discussion

The Walking Dead

Replies

• MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    Great episode but I can't understand one thing. Governor left them with those zombies... and thats it ? I thought that they will have to fend of people with guns and zombies ( i don't know how could they manage that though ;p) but Governor left... He really thinks they will die because of several zombies ? Governor wasn't the sharpest crayon in a box but that was pretty amateurish. Unless he didn't want to kill them. Next episode will be interesting.
  • Treboras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Treboras polycounter lvl 12
    I believe it was more about sending a message. I doubt that the Governor is finished with them :D

Let's see how the group reacts to Merle and if HE is willing to change for the better ...
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, he was just sending a message. He'll be back. And for those who missed it, he also made sure to fire his gun in the air, to draw in more walkers, so the prison would become infested (after breaking through the gate).
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But why send a message ? I don't think you have the luxury to create your own war in a world like this. I suppose survival isn't Governors priority right now though. He should take his revenge while he could. Now he will loose. One way or another he will loose since he is a villain. Poor villains. They always have to be a bit silly so the good guys can win.

I think Merle may be the character who in the end sacrifices for someone else (Daryl ?). I hope it won't be that cliche.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    i think the governor is getting overly sure that his plan will succeed. I guess his plan is to make them suffer...slowly and he ain't expect them to go anywhere.

Merle is in an interesting position though. He's inbetween both sides. But its him I'd like to see taking the governor down. that'd be fun
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Much better. Enjoyed the brotherly jaunt through the forest, some nice heartfelt acting, and the action at the end. Not feeling the whole dead wife thing though. I feel for Rick, but it just feels like the writers are up their own hole.
  • Cav73
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cav73 polycounter lvl 11
    When Axel was shot and they cut directly into The Talking Dead segway, I blurted out "F-you". I thought that was the end of the episode. Luckily it wasn't the end. Nice episode.

Is it just me or do they constantly have to have one of the characters become annoying? Usually they get around to killing them off. Just wondering if anyone else noticed this.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo wrote: »
    But why send a message ? I don't think you have the luxury to create your own war in a world like this.

I think you're failing to realize something; the governor WANTS war. I think, initially, he liked being in control of that community, but as time passed, that doesn't do enough to feed his love for power. Now he just wants to 'play' with them. Show them that HE'S the boss.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    Cav73 wrote: »
    When Axel was shot and they cut directly into The Talking Dead segway, I blurted out "F-you". I thought that was the end of the episode. Luckily it wasn't the end. Nice episode.

My thoughts exactly!

Anyone else get the real noobish vibe from the randoms Daryl and Merle saved on the bridge? How do you get trapped on top of a car surrounded by zombies and leave a mother and child in a different car with the back wide open?... Sure if this was season 1 I would by that, but by now you think they would by a tad bit more use to the whole zombie thing and a little bit more prepared.

I'm sure it was set up as if they were pushing cars out of the way and they got surprised attacked etc. (but they move so slow!) That whole scene felt out of place to me, just a quick ploy to get Daryl to realize his dumb mistake of leaving the group. Sigh.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I'm sure it was set up as if they were pushing cars out of the way and they got surprised attacked etc. (but they move so slow!) That whole scene felt out of place to me, just a quick ploy to get Daryl to realize his dumb mistake of leaving the group. Sigh.

yup, you underestimate the slow zombies. but they don't tire. they don't give up, and they swarm you... really, not too many people in the Walking Dead show have read the Zombie Survival Guide ;)
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Did I miss something? I was quite confused when Merle returned to the prison with Daryl, after Daryl supposedly left him? Am I supposed to believe they both got back at the same time or that they just didn't bother showing Merle catching up with Daryl and sorting everything out?

Also Glenn is going to go full retard.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    right after Daryl started walking solo, Merle heisted that said F this and followed him... Daryl had like a 3 second head start so that's prob why they didn't show it.
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Did Martinez look a little hesitant to anyone else during that gunfight?
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    share fail (they don't allow hotlinking)
  • gaganjain
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just spent my entire night at work thinking i missed the walking dead... only to get home and realize its not even Sunday :/ i need my fix now!!!!!! haha
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure hope a pack of zombies slowly eats Andrea. An imbecilic character.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I'm beginning to wish I knew up front if Andrea is going to be in more than 20% of the episode. If so, I may just pass on it. I really can't fathom how someone could witness what she's seen, and then find out that the Governor attacked your friends (including sending Merle after Michonne), and yet you still go back and sleep with the guy and NOT kill him (as discussed/planned). It was like she looked at the guy, and had feelings for him. WTF?
    I'm SO tired of her character, and I don't think I can find anything redeeming about her, even if they try to make her some kind of hero later.

I do have suspicions that the whole Merle thing is fake, so that he can be an insider for the governor. Things I noticed: Merle convinced them to stay at the prison. He trumped up the governor's numbers, and tried to make him sound like he had an arsenal of heavily armed soldiers. He also said that every exit would be blocked. There's no way he could honestly believe that, knowing how few people they actually had.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, agreed that Merle is probably a mole
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    As stated a hundred times, Andrea is such a stupid fucking character that she is just infuriating to even see on screen now...

I can tolerate the shitty decisions and her general stupidity but the thing that pisses me off the most is her level of confidence... she walks around, nay, struts around like she's some fucking commander of woodbury giving people that stupid fucking condescending look on her face as if she's better than everyone. Then suddenly she's whining when things go wrong.

I hope she gets killed off because it's just unbearable at this point, even if she killed the governor or did something really heroic to save the group, to me, her character is just not salvageable.

Also, what the hell are those extras doing, the first episode where merle and daryl are pitted together has some people in the background just randomly raising their arms or pointing at nothing.

Oy vey..
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    JFletcher wrote: »
    As stated a hundred times, Andrea is such a stupid fucking character that she is just infuriating to even see on screen now...

I can tolerate the shitty decisions and her general stupidity but the thing that pisses me off the most is her level of confidence... she walks around, nay, struts around like she's some fucking commander of woodbury giving people that stupid fucking condescending look on her face as if she's better than everyone. Then suddenly she's whining when things go wrong.

I hope she gets killed off because it's just unbearable at this point, even if she killed the governor or did something really heroic to save the group, to me, her character is just not salvageable.

Also, what the hell are those extras doing, the first episode where merle and daryl are pitted together has some people in the background just randomly raising their arms or pointing at nothing.

Oy vey..

Exactly my thoughts on this show. I'm starting to think of just not watching it anymore... the characters are so inconsistent and sometimes unbearable (Always unbearable Andrea). It is also becoming a bit too predictable... I mean seriously, I find every season has its main awful focus... last season Sophia and this season Andrea's... Milking the series to last longer then it "should"... I dunno, seems like it could be. I think Andrea should either get curb stomped zombie style or get her head chopped off Michonne style for me to feel comfortable watching the show again.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They seem to be giving Beth more lines every episode, curious to see where that is going. She was even the special guest on the Talking Dead this week. Other then that I'm going to pretend as if the last episode didn't air.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    was a bit slow. I really liked the ending though. that was nicely done with the song and the music.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Kwramm wrote: »
    was a bit slow. I really liked the ending though. that was nicely done with the song and the music.

I dislike Andrea as much as the next person watching this show, but HOT DAMN that last scene was fucking amazing. That was some incredibly tense shit, I honestly had butterflies watching it.

"oh man he's going to wake up and kill her!"
    "oh man, she's going to get away with it!"
    "or .. he could shoot her!"
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    When she grabbed the knife and walked back all I could think was "Don't walk in front of the window and block the light, that might wake him up!"

Other than that it was a fairly slow episode, I was expecting a lot more shit to do down between Merle and Glen. Andreas visit was also quite uneventful considering.

Not totally convinced merle might still be in league with the gov. To do so they would've had to have had this plan arranged before Rick's group attacked Woodbery (sp?), and merle would be risking his brothers life on the governors word that he won't be killed. He would also realise that any conflict between the two parties would mean Daryl is in some danger. Of course it's always possible he doesn't give a shit.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek wrote: »
    When she grabbed the knife and walked back all I could think was "Don't walk in front of the window and block the light, that might wake him up!"

I thought that too, but his dead eye was facing that direction so.

Completely forget how he lost the eye. I remember it was rather sudden and stupid. This show better pick up quick.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    He lost it in his fight with Michonne, for memory it was fishtank glass he was stabbed with.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, it wasn't suddenly and stupid. He had the advantage in the fight, and Michonne grabbed a piece of glass and stabbed him in the eye. Though, I would have liked to see what she did in the comics (spooned it out), but that probably would have crossed a line for TV.

This second half, I feel like I did with season 2. Just watching slow, stupid, dialog. Maybe, like season 2, they'll have some epic ending to this season, but I really wish they would learn proper pacing and stop making the characters act so irrationally. Sure, people won't act normal in a zombie apocalypse, but I still think a character like Andrea's, would have gotten the fuck out of woodbury a LONG time ago (and probably would have warned people along the way).
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    Do you perhaps think that if this show was original (ie there was never a comic book) we wouldn't be so critical of the characters? Would we all be saying, "This is awesome and these characters are equally as awesome!"

I don't think the show creators had given proper thought to the dangers of straying so far away from certain comic book elements. I like introducing new people in the TV series and not following the events verbatim, but straying far away from characters we grew to love/hate in the comics was a poor decision that unintentionally is ruining the series for a good chuck of the viewer base.

I don't understand why they have put in such slow pacing either. They are dragging out events like they don't know what to do next so they just make the current scene last for 6 episodes. It is just a shame that, while it is a good TV show, the black and white drawings on paper made me feel much more drama and suspense than these talking moving pictures.
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    Do you perhaps think that if this show was original (ie there was never a comic book) we wouldn't be so critical of the characters? Would we all be saying, "This is awesome and these characters are equally as awesome!"

Possibly. I never read the comics and hate Andrea, though. I think the writing(and direction) is piss poor in a lot of cases, and the excitement I felt at the end of the last half season is now starting to wane. The govenor's character is all over the place and Andrea is acting in a way that doesn't make sense with the experiences she's had. Having the group split and dealing with multiple storylines has not been handled well.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't have a problem with them adding/changing characters, if it's for the better. The problem's been, they took away what made the characters popular, and replaced it with weakness/lameness. Even if I hadn't read the comics, I would still be annoyed by Andrea. She's just too irrational for any human being.

I hated t-dog too. Not because he wasn't in the comic, but because he looked like a soft/spongy guy, who they tried to make out as some sort of tough guy. It just didn't work for me. On the flip side, Daryl isn't in the comics, and I love his character.

The one thing I've noticed, is they like to rehash the same arguments, and draw them out WAY to long. Like Shane constantly in his insane rants, or Dale with his constant "losing who we are" speeches, and how Hershel with his 'get your shit together' talks.
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    I think Andrea is a character to is meant to be irrational almost to an unbelievable sense. The whole, I know this man is a bad guy, but I'm in love and I think bag guys are sexy. The issue is that belongs on Lifetime, not a zombie infested world. Her actions just slightly make sense. She had lost her sister, her family, and her group. Woodbury finally feels like home, and now she has to fight with her brain about who the Governor really is versus her idea of him. They make her do actions that are so corny and you hate her so much that you keep coming back to watch what she'll do next. The ole Howard Stern rule.

Though let it be said, I hate Andrea in the TV series. I hope she dies a horrific and slow death and bitches about it the whole time, then falls in love with the zombie. What they did to her TV character versus the comic book would be as if they took Daryl in the next episode and just had him in a cell, crying, complaining about anything and everything, and eating a gigantic tub of ice cream.

I almost wonder if the writers of the TV show were afraid of having a strong female co-lead, so they replaced her with Daryl.

The show does do a lot of repeaters to fill time with each episode. Again, I almost get the feeling the writers wanted to write half hour episodes and now all of a sudden have to fill an hour so they just do the same thing over and over and over again. The whole production sometimes feel completely discombobulated.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, I agree, they are trying to make it appear that she's screwed up from losing all the people she's ever loved. In one of the recent episodes, they even touched on Carol talking about abusive men, and how you stay attached to them. I almost felt like that was a hint towards what they were doing with Andrea. Thing is, she has no fear of leaving, and the stuff she's witnessed has just been BEYOND ridiculous for someone to accept.

And I understand that you hate her as much as we do... just explaining where I'm coming from :)
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    I've never read the books, Andrea's actions, how the part is acted, facial expressions, gestures, sighs, etc all annoy me. I've almost started fast forwarding when she is on camera, tend to look away or chat with my wife when she's on.

Its happened on Supernatural, Lost, and most shows. There was a point in Lost where i hated Jack, and there are many episodes of Supernatural where Sam is a total shit-bag. Has almost everything to do with how the characters are written, but the actors emphasize the melodrama or emotion a little too much, pushing it over the edge to intolerable-land.

I loved Carol's straight-faced delivery "just sleep with him and kill him." Showed so much progress in her character, glad they're giving her the development that character needed!

edit:// also wanted to add I loved this episode. Some great tension, Rick backing the fuck out of crazy town, Meryl/Myrle/whatever talking to Hershel, the nice people who were driven out of the prison by crazy rick giving the gov an in to the backdoor of the prison... lots of shit! Excited to see where it goes :)
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Bah, agree with the words on Andrea (again). Was hoping the early parts of the episode led to redeeming her character (ie: FEROCIOUS CURB STOMP ATTACK!) but.... meh.

Despite that, and everyone else's reactions, I thought it was a pretty good episode. Still crazy about the show.

Also, realized Myrle was the dude from Days of Thunder.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol, Michael Rooker has been in a lot of stuff, but not too much in movies in recent years: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0740264/
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now that was a great episode for 3 reasons:

1) Morgan Jones is alive and has a good story, and I feel he will make another appearance.
    2) First episode that i actually liked Michonne's character.
    3) They left out Woodbury for a change, thank god.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Yup good episode! Though, i knew it was morgan way before they took off his mask. but, ya. good story and chracter development this episode!
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    MORGAN! MORGAN! MORGAN!
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is the talking dead already talking about the premiere of season 4??!?!!
    : ( ...does that mean the finale is coming up shortly?
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well it was pretty obvious it was gonna be Morgan when they had the walkie-talkie clip in the previously on

man I felt so bad for the hitch-hiker :'(
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i missed the previously on part so i was a welcomed surprise for me : )
    and i was convinced they were going to pick up the hitch-hiker on the way back.... guess not :P
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    After having that hitchhiker shout all the way, I wouldnt have picked him up haha. Way better than the previous episode cause bitch ass Andrea wasnt there. Something I wanted to know was how far is woodbury/the prison from the town Rick was at.
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    damn that ending was cold as hell- I liked the turn this episode took, no woodbury/andrea etc.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    One of the best episodes in my opinion.
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    Not related to the last episode at all but I wanted to link this video a friend of mine made. It's The Walking Dead cut as a 90's style TV show intro.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C6tE4Mblks"]The Walking Dead - 1995 Style - YouTube[/ame]
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After having that hitchhiker shout all the way, I wouldnt have picked him up haha. Way better than the previous episode cause bitch ass Andrea wasnt there. Something I wanted to know was how far is woodbury/the prison from the town Rick was at.

Yeah I feel they visited half of the states and suddenly they can ride into their old town... I guess their journey wasn't too efficient ;p

This episode showed that Andrea ruins the show. No irracional bullshit. Next episode teaser showed that once again Andrea will show how stupid can she be. I liked they gave whole episode on this trip. Michonne also seems waaay better. Now she has some character. Not only one grin.
  • SnakeDoctor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnakeDoctor keyframe
    Poor hitchhiker. I couldn't help but thinking that at the end where they picked up his bag he was actually in the woods taking a piss or something and that the body they showed us briefly was just another corpse from earlier. Can you imagine?

Also I have to state how refreshing Morgans character really was. I love his acting and I think its sad that I like him better than anyone else in the cast considering the time they are on screen. Hopefully he shows up to help Rick so I can see more of him, but I feel that it would just result in his untimely death. Good decision on staying put IMO.