Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    And another update..
    2u40tg9.jpg
  • autokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    autokey polycounter lvl 11
    Wow, Dist, the chainmail looks a hundred times better! I love the belt texture too. The tunic looks like it's leather...is that intended?
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    autokey wrote: »
    Wow, Dist, the chainmail looks a hundred times better! I love the belt texture too. The tunic looks like it's leather...is that intended?

Thanks! :)
    I did intend for the tunic to look like leather. At least the middle part, not the arms. Mainly for mobility.
    Do you think it looks bad?

Here's a small update.
    Been working on the highlights and shading of the tunic a bit.

9ql4ao.jpg
  • autokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I don't know the Zelda games all too well, but I think it may come off as strange if the sleeves are a different material than the torso. Unless you put some heavy stitching to indicate that it is intentional :) Personally, when I was looking at it, I just figured that you had not gotten to the sleeves yet :P
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    autokey wrote: »
    Well, I don't know the Zelda games all too well, but I think it may come off as strange if the sleeves are a different material than the torso. Unless you put some heavy stitching to indicate that it is intentional :) Personally, when I was looking at it, I just figured that you had not gotten to the sleeves yet :P

Oooh, you mean the sleeves! I haven't gotten to them no. :)
    I've only textured the main piece of the torso. ^^
  • Rock Bottom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really good work mate. But i have to ask why is his chin white?? or maybe i am just seeing things
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've increased the saturation a bit on his face now, and I've also worked abit on the leather.

Please let me know what you think!

taki9i.jpg
  • Der Hollander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The saturation changes you made help sell the skin really well, and the changes to the leather look awesome. Keep at it!
  • camza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    changes.gif

I just thought I might illustrate what i meant about the ears. All I did was darken and destaturate them a small amount to match the rest of the face's colours. They dont stick out as much now (no pun intended :poly124:).
  • jimmypopali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah now that I see the comparison, i do notice the change. Nice pickup
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the paintover camza! :)
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Even more tweaking...
    28u348y.jpg
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    so.. this is gonna be animated.. rite? :D
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so.. this is gonna be animated.. rite? :D

That's the plan! :)
    Trying to make a rig for him at the moment.. But I fail at rigging and animating.
  • [SF]Three9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you should have said something, my major is technically a film major so it's all about animating and rigging :P...I don't know if the best rigger in the class would have time for this but I can see if anyone else would want to try if you'd like...plus a lot of good animators need animations for their reels, and there are some talented people in my class :P
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [SF]Three9 wrote: »
    you should have said something, my major is technically a film major so it's all about animating and rigging :P...I don't know if the best rigger in the class would have time for this but I can see if anyone else would want to try if you'd like...plus a lot of good animators need animations for their reels, and there are some talented people in my class :P

That's very kind of you!
    I'll let you know once I feel I'm done with this. :)

Right now I really don't know what else to do with his clothes.. Kinda stumped.
    Thinking about redoing his hair from scratch, seeing as I feel it's the only part putting this character down. If you have any ideas, please let me know, because I keep failing at it.

spgge8.jpg
  • [SF]Three9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I say either add an alpha channel to the current hair to give it a more realistic look, or go for a more chiseled thick look like Elder Link
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [SF]Three9 wrote: »
    I say either add an alpha channel to the current hair to give it a more realistic look, or go for a more chiseled thick look like Elder Link

Thanks! That's great advice!
    I tried using alpha planes, but it really didn't turn out good. :(
    Instead I added more of these "spikes" and to contribute to a more chiseles look.

Here are some shots from more angles:
    1h9jra.jpg
  • murph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sweet mother of frak, this is looking really great. very inspiring.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    love the texture work but he looks pretty unisex to me atm
  • Veneficus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    been watching this for a while now, this is awesome!

Don't really have much to comment, apart from I agree with the unisex part. I don't really mind it, but I thinking that the rest of the model has a slightly rougher look than the face. maybe the face could do with some slight stubbles or something?
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you both! I'll be going over the face and hands tomorrow.
    And hopefully I can put together a proper presentation soon. ^^
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, I finally sat down to create a basic rig for Link..
    And by basic, I mean BASIC!
    However, it does the job. I can pose him, and I have. At least a test pose that I thought I'd post here. :)

scq843.jpg

Do you think I should make a pose with sword and shield, or just Link by himself for the final presentation?

Please let me know what you think!
  • KoldIt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I love the sword and shield so I say go for it:)
  • papagersi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    papagersi polycounter lvl 16
    I don't know other things but Zelda should grab the sword ! ! :)
    It will be looking good !
  • autokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh definitely with the sword and shield Dist
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    This is looking great! I've been lurking this thread for a while now. Everything you've made has turned out very nicely!

Can't wait to see it all put together :)

Again, great work.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom wrote: »
    This is looking great! I've been lurking this thread for a while now. Everything you've made has turned out very nicely!

Can't wait to see it all put together :)

Again, great work.

Hopefully I'll have it presented tomorrow.
    I didn't have the shield files on my home computer. :(

Do you think I should make a podium for him as well?
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Disting wrote: »
    ...Do you think I should make a podium for him as well?

Absolutely :)
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Hopefully I'll have it presented tomorrow.
    I didn't have the shield files on my home computer. :(

Do you think I should make a podium for him as well?

Here's his podium.

Epona_Large.png
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahaha, that would be great!
    I'll hopefully model Epona one day, so I might make a render like that sometime. :)

Here's a little test setup I've put together.
    Still got some texture work to do before I'm happy, but I'd love to hear what you have to say about the pose!
    Too actionish or to un-actionish?

2e4hvdy.jpg
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    Try making the hair get less saturated as it approaches white, and more saturated as it approaches links head. Also try to make it a bit warmer or cooler as well. So the white color at the tips would actually be a very bright very low saturation orange or green.

This contrast in value and temperature will make it look more natural.

As far as the pose goes I would push it so it more clearly communicates an intention or mood. If he's getting ready to fight make his stance wider and stable. Maybe look at some reference of swordsmen and also animation for the game and see if there are any iconic poses you can rob from there.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much for the feedback jocose! I really appreciate it!
    Right now I'm working on a podium for him, and tomorrow I'll fix the hair. :)

I'll also try and come up with a more exciting pose. ^^
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    Great job so far. Very inspirational. You've got my head spinning with Zelda themed projects!

I agree with the suggestion to improve the pose. You'll probably have something completely different soon, but the one you have now could use some help with the feet. I would keep one foot more centered. With them both flaring out it kind of looks funny. (I do this with my feet naturally and people tell me they look strange lol.)
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man, Disting! Didn't you mention this is your first Character? If so thats amazing! Makes me want to venture into uncharted territories. I say, you should take a crack in Dominance Wars V.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its my second actually. My first one was made 2 years ago and was a real failure and i had to do it for school. I wish i could undo it. :-P
    That character was the reason I haven't made a single character until now. -_-

Thank you for the feedback about the pose! I'll definately take it into consideration!

And thank you for the encouraging words! I'll think about entering! However, I really don't feel ready to compete with the hotshots. :P
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right.. Reworking his hair now.
    But I really fail at using alpha planes. Can't seem to be able to define a proper hairstyle..

Here's what I have so far:
    5u30ow.jpg
  •  Chris Bruin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chris Bruin polycounter lvl 10
    Hey Disting, awesome stuff. For a hair style, I can help you out! This is me!

zAjeu.jpg

If you want any specific style, I'd be glad to help you along with actual, physical reference. My hair is much longer now as well, almost to the length that yo u have. The style in the above pic is a scaled back version of the Twilight Princess style Link wears, I've had my hair in almost every style except the CD-i games...

Anyway, cool stuff, keep up the good work.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParadoxTLH wrote: »
    Hey Disting, awesome stuff. For a hair style, I can help you out! This is me!

If you want any specific style, I'd be glad to help you along with actual, physical reference. My hair is much longer now as well, almost to the length that yo u have. The style in the above pic is a scaled back version of the Twilight Princess style Link wears, I've had my hair in almost every style except the CD-i games...

Anyway, cool stuff, keep up the good work.

Thanks man! That would be really awesome! Any help is greatly appreciated. :)
  •  Chris Bruin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chris Bruin polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks man! That would be really awesome! Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

I'll take some pictures tomorrow of a few different hair styles I can wear, I'll also try to emulate what you've already got going.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Slowly but surely getting there..
    I'm not happy with how Marmoset renders the hair.. but I guess it's better than the spiky hair. ^^

20zxx0g.jpg
  • Acumen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Acumen polycounter lvl 18
    I know it has been mentioned before but you kinda let it slip through, these boots don't look like they were made for walking - AT ALL :o
    They have this weird S-Curve going on, that just keeps distracting me. I enjoyed every little update you posted that made the model look better and better until you achieved pretty much awesomenesss - but then my eyes keep scrolling down and *bam* there's the weirdly deformed boots again :(
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Acumen wrote: »
    I know it has been mentioned before but you kinda let it slip through, these boots don't look like they were made for walking - AT ALL :o
    They have this weird S-Curve going on, that just keeps distracting me. I enjoyed every little update you posted that made the model look better and better until you achieved pretty much awesomenesss - but then my eyes keep scrolling down and *bam* there's the weirdly deformed boots again :(

Yeah, it kinda slipped through. Partially because I forgot about it, and partially because I had no idea what I was doing. ^^
    I will correct it as well as I can with a lattice deformer. :)

Thanks for reminding me and kicking me in the butt!
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Purplepaint polycounter lvl 8
    This just keeps getting better and better :D

but yes those boots looks like it would be as fun as walking around in freshly boughten stiff ski/snowboard boots :P
  • d2king10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d2king10 polycounter lvl 12
    The alphaed hair looks way better than the spikey blocky look. :thumbup:
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm glad you like the new alphaed hair look! :)
    I've refined the hairstyle a bit, and I've also worked on his face and adjusted the boots a bit.

Please let me know if you think it looks better.
    Personally I think the face has a lot more character now. But it still needs more work.

2irkkuf.jpg
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea..his eyes do look pretty dark, like he's a druggie...well to be fair we don't know what Link does on his spare time..
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I totally get what you mean!
    However, I think they contribute to a more dark look.
    Should I brighten the eye area up?
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hboybowen wrote: »
    no they look weird dont look right at all They need to be worked on and look at anatomy references

Weird in what way?
    I've used manga eyes as reference and toned them down from there, so I'm not sure how you want me to change them?

Cheers!