Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Legend of Zelda - Disting's Take

Replies

• Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    I'm kind of stumped right now..
    I don't really know what to do with him now.

Any suggestions?

23ljbs8.jpg
  • Drakon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drakon polycounter lvl 6
    Hi, liking your work! His upper arm seems a bit off to me, like its bending, but that might be the clothing making it look like that. Made a quick image explaining what i mean. Also the boots could have more flow in the shape and not hard lines on the sides as i tried to illustrate:
    2dvvs3r.jpg
    Like these:
    http://rpgfan.com/pics/zelda-gcn2/art-002.jpg
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the paintover! The arms are fine, at least line-wise in the model, however, I will definately tweak the boots! Thanks for pointing that out! :)

Here's an update on the hair.
    Having a real hard time deciding on the style I want for it.

2lddndl.jpg

Used this image as reference for the new hair:
    the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-link1.jpg

It's a concept piece from The Skyward Sword.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked on the boots a bit, trying to change them according to the paintover.
    I also changed the top of the boots to look like they're actually soft.

2rh4w7m.jpg
  • Drakon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drakon polycounter lvl 6
    I like the shape much better now, but still think the line is abit to hard near the top side of the boots, would like them more with a smoother arc from the side all the way over to the other side. Unless you intentionally want that line :)
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Drakon!
    Yeah, I might soften that up at bit. :)

Here's a full-body screenshot, showing the small changes I've made here and there:
    2znonpi.jpg
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel the highpoly is done now.
    Unless anyone has ideas or suggestions, I will start making the lowpoly now. :)

qy6aly.jpg
  • Der Hollander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I gotta say, this is freakin' awesome. if only Nintendo would take a page out of your book, I might buy some of their games. The only thing that draws my attention as perhaps being a little strange is the way the excess belt hangs, from your renders is looks like it loses volume, however, if it's supposed to be leather, it shouldn't be... yawing (sorry for the aviation term, it's all I could come up with :(). Here's... kind of a picture of what I'm talking about.
    DH-B112.jpg

See how the belt changes direction but doesn't change volume, and that the belt largely only deforms in 2 axes? It can move along a third axis, but it is very slightly over larger distances.

Beyond that, I've got no other critiques, I'm way excited to see him all textured up.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much for the feedback and the kind words! :)
    I understand what you mean about the belts. Will see what I'll do about them. In the middle of making the lowpoly at the moment, but it shouldn't be a hard task. :)
  • [SF]Three9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First, I envy you for having time to do something this awesome
    Second, I envy you for doing this as I love Zelda and it never crossed my mind to even try and do this
    Third, I think you've done an awesome job! :D
    Fourth, I'm sure you've covered it somewhere in this thread but I gotta get ready for work and don't have time to search, but what did you model the high poly version in?
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [SF]Three9 wrote: »
    First, I envy you for having time to do something this awesome
    Second, I envy you for doing this as I love Zelda and it never crossed my mind to even try and do this
    Third, I think you've done an awesome job! :D
    Fourth, I'm sure you've covered it somewhere in this thread but I gotta get ready for work and don't have time to search, but what did you model the high poly version in?

Thank you very much! :)
    I really appreciate the kind words!

It's made 100% in Maya. :)
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights wrote: »
    1250886166-michael_jackson.jpg

Hahahaha, come on! That's not very nice! x)
    I see what you mean though. But it's a look I'm happy with, and I'm most likely going to stick with it. ^^
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man.. that Jackson picture is haunting me!
    Is it just me that thinks it suits link well? x)
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a quick question..
    I'm currently building the lowpoly, and I'm wondering what a good tri limit would be for a next-gen character of this style would be? I'm aiming for 10-15k. Is that too much, or standard today?

Oh, and I got the topic name changed. Thanks EQ!
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Disting wrote: »
    Hahahaha, come on! That's not very nice! x)
    I see what you mean though. But it's a look I'm happy with, and I'm most likely going to stick with it. ^^

Hah I was actually gonna post one before he went over the top with all the plastic. But it's looking really good either way! Keep it up mang.

Just a quick question..
    I'm currently building the lowpoly, and I'm wondering what a good tri limit would be for a next-gen character of this style would be? I'm aiming for 10-15k. Is that too much, or standard today?

Oh, and I got the topic name changed. Thanks EQ!

Character guys here do between 15k-20k. If you want it to be a portfolio piece I'd keep it around 20k.
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Really nice! I think the nose is fine, it is a bit thin but the face suits it.

as far as tri count, this guy would def be a main character in game so like blvd nights says, 15-20k would be high but very acceptable.
    I would personally just ignore tri counts while building the initial low and do enough to make it look good, if its 17k, then fine, if its 10k and still looks just as good, then its more impressive technically.
  • [SF]Three9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really appreciate the kind words!

It's made 100% in Maya. :)

np :D

Do you by chance have any tutorial links or examples to show about when you went about modeling certain details like the indents/creases/seams in the gauntlet and other such tidbits? I assumed it was done in maya but just wanted to check.

If you're lucky and I somehow find the time to do it, I might try and make a version of Ganon to battle against your link!...don't expect that for some time though :( (and DIBS ON GANON, no one but Disting is allowed to! >=)

and 10-12k seems about right for an in game player model
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm sorry, I don't have any tutorials regarding that.. :(
    Would be cool if you made Ganon! :D

Here's the more or less finished lowpoly. Might tweak him a bit to shave a few hundred tris off.
    It's also been UV-mapped, so I should basicly be able to start baking him today.

Here's a screenshot of the lowpoly mesh:
    m8gyfa.jpg
  • [SF]Three9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel like the topology in certain areas are a bit wonky. The chest/tunic doesn't seem like it would deform well, the bottom of the tunic could use at least 1, if not 2 more edge loops for deformation, and tons of wasted polys in the toe of his boot. Everything else seems pretty good, bu where is his hair?
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [SF]Three9 wrote: »
    I feel like the topology in certain areas are a bit wonky. The chest/tunic doesn't seem like it would deform well, the bottom of the tunic could use at least 1, if not 2 more edge loops for deformation, and tons of wasted polys in the toe of his boot. Everything else seems pretty good, bu where is his hair?

Thank you!
    I had completely forgotten about deformation.. Been making so many hard surface models lately. I will definately add more tesselation to the bottom of the tunic.
    And I will optimize the toes a bit. :)

His hair will be on a separate 512x512 sheet, and will not be baked, and that's why it wasn't included in this shot.

Cheers! :)
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is my first test bake, that I did just to see how the lowpoly mesh would read.
    I'm really, really happy with it.
    Now I just need to bake some of the objects separately to avoid errors etc.

1178b9c.jpg
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    He's looking a little flat footed on the toes there...
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian wrote: »
    He's looking a little flat footed on the toes there...

Thanks!
    I'll see what I can do about that. :)
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright.. Just posting this VERY basic color blockout of the texture before I head off to bed.
    Will continue working on this tomorrow.

Hope you like it! :)

Oh, and please ignore the hair, I am aware that it has the wrong material assigned. ^^

2le6pt.jpg
  • autokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    autokey polycounter lvl 11
    His feet do still look a bit square on the edges to me, but that's a great start on the material :)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'd definitely spend some more time cleaning up the topology, lots of wasted tris and not enough tris in areas that would deform from animation.
  • Meyeraustin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dud, you should really put your poly count on the initial post. The site is called "polycount"
  • [SF]Three9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh man, he's looking sooooo sick
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dud, you should really put your poly count on the initial post. The site is called "polycount"

I really don't see the need to do that..? I will post the poly count with the final render though.
  • gaia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice work! continues! I love Zelda game ! ^^
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been working a bit more on the diffuse map.

Will start working on the specular once I'm happy with the diffuse. :)

5wa7g9.jpg
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more progress... Still blocking out and trying different materials.

346kqd2.jpg
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Apart from material definition and some really odd looking feet, it looks good matey.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! :)

Here's another update:
    10wml8p.jpg
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Last update for the day, gotta go to bed. :)

Hope you like it so far!

5wz7cx.jpg
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    wowy your texture work really inspires me <_< the little details you put in really brings out the character :)
  • camza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The ears don't sit right with me. Maybe it's just your lighting but the light pink tone makes them look plasticy, as if they're fake novelty elf ears or something.

Everything else looks solid. Keep up the good work.
  • [SF]Three9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    damn it Disting....I really, really don't have time for personal projects right now, but I think you're going to force me to start modeling Ganon tonight :(
  • jimmypopali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is coming along great! Loving the hair. Nice direction. Are these just renders you're making from within the 3d software?
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wowy your texture work really inspires me <_< the little details you put in really brings out the character
    Thank you! :)
    The ears don't sit right with me. Maybe it's just your lighting but the light pink tone makes them look plasticy, as if they're fake novelty elf ears or something.

Everything else looks solid. Keep up the good work.
    Thanks for letting me know!
    I was planning on faking some subsurface scattering by making them more red in the thinner parts etc.
    So far I haven't been working too much on the face and fingers though.
    damn it Disting....I really, really don't have time for personal projects right now, but I think you're going to force me to start modeling Ganon tonight
    Haha, I'm sorry! x)
    This is coming along great! Loving the hair. Nice direction. Are these just renders you're making from within the 3d software?
    Thanks! Glad you like it! And I'm very happy to hear that you like the hair! Took me quite a few trial and errors to get there. :P
    The images are printscreens from Marmoset Toolbag.

Thanks all!
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update.
    Still tweaking the texture.

icv58h.jpg
  • Poly-Jon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poly-Jon polycounter lvl 16
    This is realy comming along niceley well done :D
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hell Yea ! wrote: »
    This is realy comming along niceley well done :D

• autokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    autokey polycounter lvl 11
    Wow, Disting! Your texture work is great! Nice work! :D
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
    nice work man ;)

is that real time rendering ?
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! I appreciate it! :)

ayoub55, yes it's a realtime screenshot from Marmoset.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's some more progress.
    Been working a bit on the face and basicly been all over the place tweaking stuff.

I feel that I'm almost done with it. Just gotta tweak the eyes and work more on the fingers.

Hope you like it so far!

4so1eo.jpg
  • miamigator09
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Because the texture work is so well done, my eye gets caught on his chin (probably because of the angle you chose in that last shot). Do you think splitting it with one more edge would smooth the silhouette there?
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much for your feedback!
    I needed that to keep myself motivated.
    Will definately keep working on the material definitions. :)